PDA

View Full Version : Official 5/9 Calgary Meetup/Review Thread

Va Beach VH Fan
01-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the Official 5/9 Calgary Meetup/Review thread. This thread is to discuss anything leading up to the show, as well as all reviews.

Let's hear it !!

wiseguy
05-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Fuck yes. Finally. I fucking hate this city but I gotta support the talent they bring. A few hours of my time won't be wasted when the mighty VAAAAN HAAAALEEEEEN comes to Alberta!!!! Get 'er done.

Momshell
05-09-2012, 05:40 AM
OK - so Calgary is MDT - two hours later than EST - better than 3 hours! I'll try my best to at least make the first part of the show. Anyone going that can keep us updated? This thread is pretty empty!

Angel
05-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Damn, I wish I could be at this show. My first two concerts in 79 and 80 were in Calgary....Damn Good Times....

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Yipee! It's another gig night! I LOVE these nights! Is there anyone on the inside tonight that will keep us posted?

Romeo Delight
05-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Calgary is a cool city

ALMOSTsaved
05-09-2012, 08:51 PM
I don't foresee being here for this show either...

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 08:55 PM
I don't foresee being here for this show either...

What the hell ALMOSTsaved???

VAiN
05-09-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm going to be poking in for the odd chance that lunatic wiseguy posts anything..

ALMOSTsaved
05-09-2012, 09:09 PM
What the hell ALMOSTsaved???

I'm Central Time Zone. I'm an hour ahead. It'll be roughly 10:00 p.m. when the show starts here. I'm usually up at 5:00 a.m. If I START watching the Tweets and reading the updates here, it becomes all too tempting to keep watching until it's over. It's a risk getting to sleep at that point.

Momshell
05-09-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm gonna do my best, but the show starts around 11pm my time and I'm also up around 4:45am. I'll see if I can at least be here in the beginning, but I'm definitely not gonna make it past RWTD or STW. If they open with Sinner's Swing I'll call in sick tomorrow! These late shows on school nights kill me. I really miss hanging out here for the shows. :(

Momshell
05-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Yipee! It's another gig night! I LOVE these nights! Is there anyone on the inside tonight that will keep us posted?

Is that a new avatar?! (sorry for stealing your thunder so this is love!)

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Is that a new avatar?! (sorry for stealing your thunder so this is love!)

Seems to be a tradition to change it every gig nigh, so I guess everyone better get used to it LOL!:bigwink:

Momshell
05-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Seems to be a tradition to change it every gig nigh, so I guess everyone better get used to it LOL!:bigwink:

I like it - keeps me on my toes! :)
Plus, we get to see the many sides of Light Em' Up!

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Well, I guess t minus??? until VH takes the stage?
Kool & The Gang just took the stage.... yes, I did say Kool & The Gang! #YYC #VanHalen— Dorinda A. (@DorindaHMA) May 10, 2012

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 09:38 PM

There aren't too many sides to see :winkglasses:

Momshell
05-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Van halen not van hagar— Joshua Michael (@lopez1328) May 10, 2012

Momshell
05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
It's mother fucking Van Halen time. #vanHalen #SaddleDome— Mac Moon (@ToasterJSP) May 10, 2012

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I was just about to post that one...

Momshell
05-09-2012, 09:46 PM
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass." - David Lee Roth - Van Halen in 1979— Alan Graves (@AlanGraves3) May 10, 2012

Momshell
05-09-2012, 09:47 PM
I was just about to post that one...

I knew that! :)

twitter's on fire tonight!

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Since I have been twitterposting for the last few gigs I'm gonna stay off of it, unless you decide to go to bed...

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 09:50 PM
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass." - David Lee Roth - Van Halen in 1979— Alan Graves (@AlanGraves3) May 10, 2012

Love this quote!

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 09:52 PM
I'd ride my 8 year old's damn bike to get there!!! LOL!
@MarkZschech as @PhilipYSohn heads to dream concert #VanHalen I'm wondering if he ever thought he'd be going in a mini-van.... Haha— susanjsohn (@susanjsohn) May 10, 2012

Momshell
05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
I'd ride my 8 year old's damn bike to get there!!! LOL!
@MarkZschech as @PhilipYSohn heads to dream concert #VanHalen I'm wondering if he ever thought he'd be going in a mini-van.... Haha— susanjsohn (@susanjsohn) May 10, 2012

haha - I saw that one too - I went to a couple of shows in a minivan too. At least mine has a VH bandana and some Dave pix hanging from the rearview mirror!

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 09:58 PM
It's not a "mini-van", it's a "Van Halen party Van"

Momshell
05-09-2012, 10:00 PM

Thank you - I like that better - makes me feel much younger!

DONNIEP
05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
44 minutes and counting.... :gulp:

SunisinuS
05-09-2012, 10:18 PM

Even in my 30s. The group of us decided to go to the MidNight Opening of "Half-Baked" and all had "get it" coats full of candy in the pockets. Smoked a Huge Fattie and rolled out of that mini-van as the blue smoke rolled out of it as well.

Tell ya, it is all good you Soccer Moms with Cherry Bombs.

VAN HLN CA
05-09-2012, 10:23 PM

Momshell can u please attach a close up of your neck tat or change avatar so we can see the detail for one night, please :-)

Just always like to see if artist holds his lines, my guy couldn't on my lionVH or I'd have it on mine. I'd like to have it redone, was supposed to be good and I could do better with steady hand, F'r really let me down, 10 years ago it wasn't as easy to find good inkslingers!

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Getting closer...
Setting up for #vanhalen concert in #yyc twitter.com/timdog_ca/stat…— Timothy Fountain (@timdog_ca) May 10, 2012

Momshell
05-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Momshell can u please attach a close up of your neck tat or change avatar so we can see the detail for one night, please :-)

Just always like to see if artist holds his lines, my guy couldn't on my lionVH or I'd have it on mine. I'd like to have it redone, was supposed to be good and I could do better with steady hand, F'r really let me down, 10 years ago it wasn't as easy to find good inkslingers!

This is the best I've got - it was taken right after I got the tattoo, so it's still pretty shiny!

Momshell
05-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Gonna have to change it back in the am - I miss my Roth Army shirt pic!!

Momshell
05-09-2012, 10:45 PM
It's Diamond Dave night pre Van Halen tonight, a true rock God has to have good looks, be in love with himself and know Karate #diamonddave— Without Papers Pizza (@wopizza) May 10, 2012

VAN HLN CA
05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
This is the best I've got - it was taken right after I got the tattoo, so it's still pretty shiny!

SaWeeeeet! Way tight, Well Done! 2 1/2 hr I bet.

Momshell
05-09-2012, 10:52 PM
SaWeeeeet! Way tight, Well Done! 2 1/2 hr I bet.

Thank you! I don't even remember how long it took - I know it was hours. It was pretty bad - I had the appt weeks in advance and I had taken the day off from work and everything. Woke up that am with a fever - think I had the flu. I sure as hell wasn't gonna cancel that appt - so I went and didn't tell the guy anything. Not fun getting a tattoo when you feel like shit to begin with! It was ok though cause the guy had already done a different tattoo for me and had done one for my husband as well, so he knew me. He cranked VH the whole time he was doing it - that always helps!

VAN HLN CA
05-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Gonna have to change it back in the am - I miss my Roth Army shirt pic!!

Thanks, that turned me into foot soldier!

Hoping for a surprise tune tonight!

DONNIEP
05-09-2012, 10:54 PM
I know somebody's got their fingers crossed for Light Up The Sky :biggrin:

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Hoping for a surprise tune tonight!
Me too, but I won't say what...LOL

VAN HLN CA
05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Well worth it. You know that needle Hurt You!

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
I know somebody's got their fingers crossed for Light Up The Sky :biggrin:

Jinx!

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Well worth it. You know that needle Hurt You!

Mousewife to Momshell...:-)

DONNIEP
05-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Jinx!

Oh shit!!! I've been sucked in!!! Quick, lemme guess, Crown tonight? :biggrin:

VAiN
05-09-2012, 11:01 PM
There will be no blower rant tonight...
http://www.whitespacecreativedesign.com/STUFF/no_rant.jpg
Image courtesy of wiseguy.

Momshell
05-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Are they on? Any idea? Twitter's suddenly not as active. Maybe people are busy getting their asses kicked by VH?

Light Em' Up!
Oh shit!!! I've been sucked in!!! Quick, lemme guess, Crown tonight? :biggrin:

Nope...that was an isolated incident....

Light Em' Up!
Not sure....there was just a pic posted over there...

DONNIEP
05-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Unchained???

Momshell
05-09-2012, 11:06 PM
VAN HALEN is on stage holy fuck didn't think i would be this stoked!!! :D— Justin Aufheben (@ghostbones) May 10, 2012

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 11:07 PM
.. is at #VanHalen. #RunninWithTheDevil twitpic.com/9jb2kg— Galen Hartviksen (@van_galen) May 10, 2012

VAiN
05-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Runnin with the Devil, She's the woman... then comes the fun one - Romeo or Full Bug? They haven't played Hang 'em High in over a month, I think...

Momshell
05-09-2012, 11:09 PM
FUCK - I should be sleeping. I have NO willpower! Wanna see song #4! Aaaahh!!!

Momshell
05-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Sorry guys - I gotta bail again. Reality just set in - I have to be up in 5 1/2 hours and I'm working an almost 10 hour day tomorrow. Not to mention the kiddies. I'm fucked! Gotta go to sleep. See you in the am. I'll miss you all! Have fun!

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Someone just tweeted something about EWS. I'm on my phone so not sure how to repost from here...

Light Em' Up!
05-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Lots of good tweets being made...no song names...

Light Em' Up!
05-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Hot for teacher now...

DONNIEP
05-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Anything?

VAN HLN CA
05-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Hot for teacher now...

Too early for HFT

Dan
05-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Pants Off,I'm Here.:D:hitch:

DONNIEP
05-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Hello...This is Lawrence, Kansas...Is there anybody there? Anybody at all?

Dan
05-10-2012, 01:47 AM
No New Up-Dates.:(

DONNIEP
05-10-2012, 01:49 AM
Pants off, and beer in hand...no updates??? :gulp:

Dan
05-10-2012, 01:57 AM
No Beer,No Pants And No Hair-Pie.:(

DONNIEP
05-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Ahh...but happiness awaits you in the Nancy Grace thread, my friend. :thumb:

Dan
05-10-2012, 02:21 AM
Never Been To Canada.

Carmine
05-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Unchained
Runnin' With the Devil
She's the Woman
The Full Bug
Tattoo
Everybody Wants Some!!
Somebody Get Me a Doctor
China Town
Hear About It Later
Pretty Woman
Alex Van Halen Drum Solo
You Really Got Me
The Trouble with Never
Dance the Night Away
I'll Wait
Hot for Teacher
Women In Love
Outta Love Again
Beautiful Girls
Ice Cream Man
Panama
Eddie Van Halen Guitar Solo
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Jump

Momshell
05-10-2012, 05:38 AM
Not a single youtube yet.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-10-2012, 08:01 AM
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/05/10/old-school-throwdown

Old-school throwdown

GERRY KROCHAK, CALGARY SUN

FIRST POSTED: WEDNESDAY, MAY 09, 2012 10:23 PM MDT | UPDATED: WEDNESDAY, MAY 09, 2012 10:33 PM MDT
Van Halen rocks the dome

Maybe you can turn back the hands of time to 1984 — if only for a couple of hours.

Although Sammy Hagar is a good singer, so-so songwriter, solid frontman and expert tequila maker, Van Halen was never really Van Halen without David Lee Roth. It’s true.

At 57 years of age, the clown prince of rock ’n’ roll hijinx, shenanigans and tomfoolery was actually in fine form Wednesday night in front of a semi-disappointing crowd of only 9,700 at the Saddledome.

Unlike Hagar, Diamond Dave was never much of a singer, but for some reason or another … it’s never really mattered. And it didn’t Wednesday.

The verticals of his patented flying scissor kicks aren’t quite what they used to be, but Roth brought the excited Calgary classic rock contingent to its collective feet as he first appeared on the massive minimalist stage and launched in the quick one-two punch of Unchained from 1981’s Fair Warning and Runnin’ With The Devil from the still outstanding self-titled 1978 debut.

Resplendent in black sequined jacket, pants and white scarf, Roth could barely contain himself.

“We’re off to a flying start tonight, Calgary!” he bellowed to raucous applause in front of the giant LED video screen.

Flanked by bassist Wolfgang Van Halen, Uncle Alex on drums and dear old dad, Eddie, on guitar, the tales of internal dysfunction and destruction seem to be a thing of the past.

Touring behind the first new Van Halen record in 14 years — and the first with Roth in 28 — the key players of Roth and Eddie Van Halen seem committed, fit, healthy, disease-free and even … happy.

For all of his mad genius guitar histrionics, flakiness and overall craziness, Eddie remains one of the great rock guitarists of all time. Some 35 years after forming the band in Pasadena, Calif., his style and techniques are still oft-imitated, but never duplicated.

He smiled brightly while finger-tapping his way through She’s The Woman, first single, Tattoo, from the new A Different Kind Of Truth album, Everybody Wants Some!! from Women and Children First and Somebody Get Me A Doctor from the second album. After all, it wasn’t like we were going to be hearing anything 5150 or OU812.

The interplay and chemistry between father and son was as effective as it was, er, heart-warming. The kid can play and the harmonies of Wolfgang and Eddie often overshadowed Diamond Dave. Is it live or is it Memorex? You be the judge. Unfortunately live sometimes just isn’t live anymore.

The band poured it on through Hear About It Later, the Roy Orbison nugget Oh, Pretty Woman, its second most famous cover of the Kinks’ You Really Got Me, and Dance The Night Away from Van Halen II. Indeed, these were the tunes everyone came to hear.

The crowd was far from ready to go home as the group pulled out Beautiful Girls, Ice Cream Man and Panama.

It wouldn’t be an old-school Van Halen throwdown without a 10-minute guitar solo, and EVH provided the flash and substance as only he can. Eruption — man, forget about it. This guy is still really something.

The show had yet to conclude at press time, but, not surprisingly, every show on the current tour has ended with Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love and, of course, Jump.

First up was, uh, Kool And The Gang — a curious and eyebrow-raising opener choice, to be sure. But the 10-piece funk, boogie, soul and R&B pioneers began to make more sense through tunes such as Fresh, Jungle Boogie, Ladies Night, Get Down On It and, of course, Celebration.

Decent.

Weird ... but decent.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Maybe the most harsh criticism of the tour for DLR.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/Review+Halen+solid+lack+sparkle+Saddledome+show/6595777/story.html

Review: Van Halen solid but lack sparkle in Saddledome show

BY MIKE BELL, CALGARY HERALD MAY 9, 2012

Somewhat Flyersian are Van Halen.

For just as there’s forever a question surrounding the man backstopping the Broad Street Bullies, the talk inevitably turns to the man fronting for the mainstream rockers.

Both are constantly in search of the right chemistry with the man between or with the pipes, hoping he can help return them to past glories. And just as Philly has tied its fortunes to fifty-million-dollar man Ilya Bryzgalov, so, too, has Eddie seemingly, for now, hitched his wagon to Diamond David Lee Roth.

In each case, for the good and the bad.

One is prone to saves of remarkable athleticism while also allowing beach balls betwixt his legs, the other, well, the other has charisma and cachet, but he also ain’t what he used to be.

The former showed it Tuesday night in front of a disappointed home crowd, while the latter gave a pretty great display of what he now is Wednesday in front of a somewhat disappointing Dome crowd of 9,000.

Yes, the “classic” lineup of Van Halen — minus bassist and founding member Michael Anthony — made its return with new album A Different Kind of Truth in tow and old frontman back centre stage, and he proved to be their greatest liability.

No, nobody has ever accused Roth of being one of rock’s great vocalists, but he was always considered one of its better frontmen, and Wednesday night he had neither of those things going for him, and the show plodded and limped into the concert off-season as a result.

He was buried deep into the already muddy mix, with neither the power nor vocal personality left to really punch out, without resorting to shoutiness and strained caterwauling. The only time there was any real spark was during a latter evening version of Dance the Night Away, but that was due mainly to some interband harmonizing,

Even worse, with Roth’s past as a focal point taken into account, he was comparatively immobile on the sparse, clean stage, providing very little to look at — save the odd, half-arsed high kick, foot shuffle, mic stand twirl and facial mugging, made big only by their transmission on the massive screen behind — and even less energy to feed off of.

He wasn’t funny, he wasn’t particularly cocky or likable, he wasn’t a showman, he wasn’t enigmatic, hell, he wasn’t even Sammy Hagar. He was a sad, airband version of his former self.

He even managed to kill some momentum heading into the final act of the show, with a bizarre, rambling talk about his dog-herding hobby, as scenes of his animals doing their work played behind him.

It’s something of a shame because, musically, there was so much to work with, with the Van band — guitarist Eddie, drummer Alex and bassist Wolfgang — providing an incredible offensive threat, that, in the past 10 years may have been missing. Eddie, especially was in dynamite form, looking healthy and fantastic, while providing the unbelievable fretwork that has been his trademark for the past four decades.

But he nor the other two aren’t necessarily demonstrative performers, relying instead on their considerable chops.

As for the songs themselves, well, for many fans those might have been enough, with a set list that was pretty well balanced. The new material sounded surprisingly fresh in a live setting — tracks such as She’s the Woman and Tattoo from their new/old album A Different Kind of Truth. And there were plenty of perennial faves, such as Runnin’ With The Devil, Everybody Wants Some!!, Hot For Teacher and Panama along with their well-aimed covers of Oh, Pretty Woman and You Really Got Me.

Musically, save for the murkiness, you couldn’t complain about how they sounded and the ubiquitous solos were as bang on as they could be, setting things up as skilfully as they could.

As for Diamond Dave, he couldn’t seal the deal, and, ultimately, with a performance that could best be described as lacklustre, laboured and entirely mailed in, he gave it all away.

While certainly not brand new, opening act Kool and the Gang were more like papa’s partially successful bag. Nowhere near the travesty many might have expected when the pairing was originally announced, the R&B, jazz, funk and disco veterans weren’t the party starters that had been promised. Well, not initially.

It took them a full half of their 50-minute set to get into the groove, which, not surprisingly, also coincided with the dropping of one of their most memorable tracks Jungle Boogie, which, in some sort of Pulpy, Pavlovian response, perked up every one of the ears in the half-empty arena.

After that, the tight, well-oiled and remarkably energetic 10-piece — including a core quartet of co-founders led by Bell brothers, Ronald and Robert (a.k.a. Kool) — kept the crowd up and the mood even higher with extended jams of hits Ladies Night, Get Down on It and, of course, the song that every winner wants to hear, Celebration.

Oh well, Flyers, Van Halen— there’s always next time.

Review: Van Halen with Kool and the Gang at the Saddledome Wednesday night. Attendance: 9,000

mbell@calgaryherald.com Twitter.com/mrbell_23

fourthcoming
05-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Someone's a Sammy fan and a Flyers fan......poor guy

Jagermeister
05-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Maybe the most harsh criticism of the tour for DLR.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9000? That's not very many people. Must not be many real fans in Calgary. Who cares what they think.

loucap81
05-10-2012, 08:27 AM
That's a pretty bizarre analogy trying to compare a rock band to a hockey team. And why would anyone in Calgary care about the Flyers? I guess the guy is a Flyers fan.

What kind of show will sell out in Calgary anyway? Soundgarden played the Saddledome last year and I think the attendance was even worse.

SNIPER
05-10-2012, 09:12 AM

Va Beach VH Fan
05-10-2012, 09:48 AM
9000? That's not very many people. Must not be many real fans in Calgary. Who cares what they think.

There's a million people in Calgary proper, but that section of Canada isn't what one would call populous....

Gets even more sparse when you head north to Edmonton...

Romeo Delight
05-10-2012, 10:33 AM
There's a million people in Calgary proper, but that section of Canada isn't what one would call populous....

It is weird that there wasn't a bigger crowd. Calgary has a huge corporate presence in Canada with the oil sands. A Friday night would have played differently

moose
05-10-2012, 10:40 AM

The demographics in Calgary have changed...Edmonton is even worse.
Nuff said.....
Used to be 2 great cities....

TJMKID
05-10-2012, 11:18 AM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/Review+Halen+solid+lack+sparkle+Saddledome+show/6595777/story.html

Even worse, with Roth’s past as a focal point taken into account, he was comparatively immobile on the sparse, clean stage, providing very little to look at — save the odd, half-arsed high kick, foot shuffle, mic stand twirl and facial mugging, made big only by their transmission on the massive screen behind — and even less energy to feed off of.

He wasn’t funny, he wasn’t particularly cocky or likable, he wasn’t a showman, he wasn’t enigmatic, hell, he wasn’t even Sammy Hagar. He was a sad, airband version of his former self.

He even managed to kill some momentum heading into the final act of the show, with a bizarre, rambling talk about his dog-herding hobby, as scenes of his animals doing their work played behind him.

As for Diamond Dave, he couldn’t seal the deal, and, ultimately, with a performance that could best be described as lacklustre, laboured and entirely mailed in, he gave it all away.

These cumstain reviewers are becoming increasingly douchey the further they venture into Canada!

It's 2012, dipshits ---- how in the hell can Dave perform like it's still 1982?

Outside of Toronto and Montreal ---- I doubt VH will ever tour in that miserable country again. Go somewhere like Australia where they are still appreciated and loved.

:flame:

moose
05-10-2012, 11:34 AM
These cumstain reviewers are becoming increasingly douchey the further they venture into Canada!

Outside of Toronto and Montreal ---- I doubt VH will ever tour in that miserable country again. Go somewhere like Australia where they are still appreciated and loved.

Bro..........Canada IS NOT A MISERABLE country.

loucap81
05-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Montreal didn't sell well either. From reading the posts at the Links it sold between 9,000-10,000 with a capacity of 15,000. Now from being there I can tell you Toronto was absolutely a sellout. From what I've read, Vancouver had good but not great attendance (around 80% capacity). It'll be interesting to see how London, Ontario does. But this isn't a problem with Canada, it's a problem with legacy acts in general especially with ticket prices as high as these. There are only a handful of legacy acts that sell out no matter what. I'm not surprised by this, especially for shows not taking place on a Friday or Saturday.

For tomorrow night in Edmonton, I checked Ticketmaster and they have the interactive seating chart. There are roughly 2,000 tickets available including 150-200 floor seats, many of which are in the first 15 rows. According to Wikipedia, concert capacity is about 12,000 so if they really have sold 10,000 tickets, that's not bad. Realistically other than the 10 largest markets in North America, they're not going to sell out. This is also why it's no coincidence they make repeat trips to those markets like New York with a third area show and Philly with a fourth area show to soak up all they can. For everyone else if they get 80% capacity, then it's a successful booking.

Angel
05-10-2012, 12:18 PM

Did you not read the review by the other Calgary paper? It was stellar!

The Herald has never given good reviews. I used to read them and wonder why the reviewer wasn't at the same show I was. Hell, when my parents forced me to go with them to see Andy Williams with Buddy Rich opening, the Herald reviewer said Rich couldn't keep time....

Canada is NOT a miserable country, and FYI, it's interesting to note that Calgary is Canada's most Americanized city. Perhaps therein the problem lies, EH!?

perrin29
05-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Dude, a couple of douchebag reviewers shouldn't define a country cause the States has its fair share. Canada is far from a miserable country. That statement is way off the mark.

loucap81
05-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I've made four trips to Canada (three of them VH-related). I don't know that I have much of an informed opinion having gone up and down the QEW corridor for three of them and Montreal once, but it was nothing but fun times.

TJMKID
05-10-2012, 12:56 PM
The Herald has never given good reviews. I used to read them and wonder why the reviewer wasn't at the same show I was. Hell, when my parents forced me to go with them to see Andy Williams with Buddy Rich opening, the Herald reviewer said Rich couldn't keep time....

It's critic douchebags like this cumstain at the Herald that makes me think the Unabomber was performing a valuable service to society :hippie:

But for real ---- to say Dave "wasn't funny, wasn't likable, wasn't a showman, and wasn't Sammy" ---- was he in the restroom the whole time diddling his asshole and sucking his own cock ??

TJMKID
05-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Dude, a couple of douchebag reviewers shouldn't define a country cause the States has its fair share. Canada is far from a miserable country. That statement is way off the mark.

Well I suppose the States has it's fair share of cumstain critics as well ---- but none of them has written that Dave "wasn't funny, wasn't likable, wasn't a showman, and wasn't even Sammy".

This shit bird deliberately created his own fixed delusion apart from what 9,000 other people saw on that stage ---- namely, a legendary rock frontman doing a great job that most other 57 yr. old guys can't do !!

So basically ---- this Herald writer was being paid to LIE.

TJMKID
05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Bro..........Canada IS NOT A MISERABLE country.

If I lived anywhere near Calgary and got exposed daily to journalistic garbage and lies like this Mike Bell jizz stain spews ---- I'd feel quite miserable!

TJMKID
05-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Montreal didn't sell well either. From reading the posts at the Links it sold between 9,000-10,000 with a capacity of 15,000. Now from being there I can tell you Toronto was absolutely a sellout. From what I've read, Vancouver had good but not great attendance (around 80% capacity). It'll be interesting to see how London, Ontario does. But this isn't a problem with Canada, it's a problem with legacy acts in general especially with ticket prices as high as these. There are only a handful of legacy acts that sell out no matter what. I'm not surprised by this, especially for shows not taking place on a Friday or Saturday.

Seems to me they are over-booking the tour with some of these added dates. I mean London, Ontario? That place is out in the middle of nowhere and it's 2 hrs. from Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, and Toledo which VH has played 5 times collectively by that date.

I'm guessing it's the greed of Irving Azoff or perhaps the twins behind this. If Dave is upset about it, he has a valid argument. No one seems to have sympathy for his vocal cords --- sure is a lot easier to plink-plink-plink on guitar strings at 57 yrs. of age than rip assing your pipes for 7 months straight. But then everyone wants to blame a bad show on Dave, right?

Angel
05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
If I lived anywhere near Calgary and got exposed daily to journalistic garbage and lies like this Mike Bell jizz stain spews ---- I'd feel quite miserable!

Only if you actually read the fucking things...and as the Rocky Mountains are just outside of Calgary, I highly doubt you'd be miserable. Banff is one of the most beautiful places in the world. http://www.filmapia.com/sites/default/files/filmapia/pub/place/banff-national-park.jpg

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

perrin29
05-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Seems to me they are over-booking the tour with some of these added dates. I mean London, Ontario? That place is out in the middle of nowhere and it's 2 hrs. from Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, and Toledo which VH has played 5 times collectively by that date.

I'm guessing it's the greed of Irving Azoff or perhaps the twins behind this. If Dave is upset about it, he has a valid argument. No one seems to have sympathy for his vocal cords --- sure is a lot easier to plink-plink-plink on guitar strings at 57 yrs. of age than rip assing your pipes for 7 months straight. But then everyone wants to blame a bad show on Dave, right?

A lot of bands seem to go to London, ON nowadays either on second legs or initial tour. Hamilton used to be the secondary stop but now they go for London. A lot of promoters miss the boat with shows in Canada where they go for the roads most traveled (Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnepeg, Toronto, Montreal) and they skip over the Maritimes (Halifax, Moncton) where large shows always do well.

SLAUGHTER MAN
05-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Well I suppose the States has it's fair share of cumstain critics as well ---- but none of them has written that Dave "wasn't funny, wasn't likable, wasn't a showman, and wasn't even Sammy".

This shit bird deliberately created his own fixed delusion apart from what 9,000 other people saw on that stage ---- namely, a legendary rock frontman doing a great job that most other 57 yr. old guys can't do !!

So basically ---- this Herald writer was being paid to LIE.

Also you were raggin on STL fans about pullin in a tick under 13 thousand sayin it couldn't be the economy and that the bulk of the townspeople were Hagar sheep.......here's another example of tough times Even STL pulled 4 thousand more fans to the VH gig and gave it a good review in the paper....what's the excuse here???

Angel
05-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I got a message on Facebook from a guy that I went to school who was at the show last night. He didn't give it Dave a very good review either...

"thought i would give you a review of last nights show as i know you are a huge vh fan. eddie was absolutely amazing. unfortunetely, cuz, dave cant hold a note to save his life. his screeching totally ruined an absolute wonderful performance by the vh brothers, people were leaving in droves as you couldnt even understand what he was trying to sing. terrible review in calgary herald sums up the whole show. got to spend a few minutes with dave before the show, but barely enough room in the huge restaurant for dave's ego, wendy and i"

Of course, you know he's full of shit about "spending a few minutes", and note - this guy has always been a turkey. I unfriended him and blocked his girlfriend once I remembered what idiots they both were.

sadaist
05-11-2012, 02:14 PM

What's weird is I think these reviewers don't know much about classic Van Halen or have amnesia. Dave wasn't a great singer back then either. Sure he had a few great moments but mostly it was a drunken fun free-for-all party for the masses. It's the same now just minus the alcohol poisoning. Just watch the US Fest.

*And I don't mean Dave can't sing great when he puts his mind to it. But he typically reserves that for the albums that we will listen to over & over & over. When it comes to a 2 hour party he is there to make us have fun....not think "damn this guy has pipes".