PDA

View Full Version : Good with heights?

Seshmeister
01-07-2012, 08:51 PM
It's funny how falling 4 stories will usually kill you but many of us get a cold fear when we get really high. I remember feeling really weird about standing on the glass floor in CN Tower but I did manage it ok.

These crazy crazy fuckers from the crew of the new Mission Impossible film are twice as high and outside, one without a fucking harness. Jeez...

At the lightning rod conductor of the tallest building in the world.

http://www.forwardedemails.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/burj_khalifa_828_mt_011.jpg

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/w3AlfRBcleE?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/w3AlfRBcleE?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

In the interests of balance I have to say that Dubai is a terrible place and I would never go there out of principle.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

Kristy
01-07-2012, 09:18 PM
To sound all Nitro here I once knew a guy who did skeletal work for high rise buildings and absolutely had no fear of heights whatsoever. However, what was strange about him was his irrational fear of getting on ladders. It's all comes down to how we are wired, I guess.

Seshmeister
03-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Just noticed I posted the wrong video.

gbranton
03-03-2012, 07:54 PM
These crazy crazy fuckers from the crew of the new Mission Impossible film are twice as high and outside, one without a fucking harness. Jeez...

And one of the crazy fuckers was Mr Tom Cruise himself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1331003/Tom-Cruises-Mission-Impossible-stunt-worlds-highest-skyscraper-Dubai.html

Nitro Express
03-03-2012, 08:01 PM
And one of the crazy fuckers was Mr Tom Cruise himself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1331003/Tom-Cruises-Mission-Impossible-stunt-worlds-highest-skyscraper-Dubai.html

Tom just figures if he falls the Scientology mother ship will fly in and save his ass.

gbranton
03-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Tom just figures if he falls the Scientology mother ship will fly in and save his ass.

Maybe moonbats have wings? Who knew?

Nitro Express
03-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Dubai has to be the biggest cheese fest on the planet. I mean they spend a shit load of money but it's on the cheesiest tasteless crap. Ever seen that group of man made islands they built that look like a map of the world. Look at it from Google earth. It's quite pathetic. Really, to give credit the big tower is a nice looking building but my god, Dubai is nothing more than one big shopping mall poorly done.

gbranton
03-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Dubai has to be the biggest cheese fest on the planet. I mean they spend a shit load of money but it's on the cheesiest tasteless crap. Ever seen that group of man made islands they built that look like a map of the world. Look at it from Google earth. It's quite pathetic. Really, to give credit the big tower is a nice looking building but my god, Dubai is nothing more than one big shopping mall poorly done.

It's pathetic, isn't it? The largest transfer of wealth in the history of the universe to a bunch of uneducated, unsophistiated, tacky assed, camel-humping douchebags shitting in 24K toliets who have no clue what to do with all of it, thanks in part to the US government.

Hardrock69
03-04-2012, 03:24 AM
Funny, I don't mind flying, but do not get me near a fucking window in a skyscraper.

60 Minutes last Sunday was all about extremists.....showed this one fucker who climbs up Half Dome in Yosemite with no ropes, no safety gear, nothing. One slip, you are fucking DEAD.

The dude has a death wish. I listened, but could not watch. Showing the fucking 2,000-foot drop even on TV gives me fucking sweaty palms.

NO FUCKING THANKS.

You could not pay me enough to work on skyscrapers. Or to change light bulbs on radio antenna towers.

Nitro Express
03-04-2012, 03:36 AM
It's pathetic, isn't it? The largest transfer of wealth in the history of the universe to a bunch of uneducated, unsophistiated, tacky assed, camel-humping douchebags shitting in 24K toliets who have no clue what to do with all of it, thanks in part to the US government.

Dubai is a pimper's paradise basically. The strategy behind Dubai is the country is running out of oil and they know it. Norway another big oil producing country knows it too will run out of oil so they started what is called the Norwegian pension fund. They invest some of their oil money into a fund that can be used by future generations when the oil is gone. In Dubai the money is being spent to build the biggest mecca of glutony to attract the world's rich to that area. It's based on the Las Vegas concept and Switzerland concept. Come here, bring your money here we will treat you well. I don't think it's working. It's not sophisticated enough and frankly, the place looks like it was laid out by a bunch of rappers who came into some big money. The place has attracted Donald Trump and Dick Chenney. Like I said, Dubai is not sophisticated. LOL!

The next country to build the world's tallest building will be China. They aren't going to be outdone by a bunch of sand pimps.

Honestly. I'm surprised in Dubai they didn't make the building look like a giant arm holding up a giant sword. I bet it was brought up to the architect but probably politely discarded due to the technical challenges involved like structural load and wind load ect...

vandeleur
03-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Yeah I hate heights even on tv it freaks me out, that new Tom cruise film would have me in a flap , we once went on holiday to tenerife and the hotel was up this bloody mountain the coach trip to it was like one long seen from the Italian job... Did help my drinking on the holiday I suppose .

Nitro Express
03-04-2012, 03:48 AM
My brother in law flys airliners around the world but is scared to get on the roof of his house. He's flying an Airbus now but he used to fly 747's for Northwest. What's funny is he was flying passengers and in those planes you go up the stairs to get to the cockpit. Then one day he was flying freight. It's still a 747-400 but there are no stairs and you have to climb a ladder to get to the cockpit. My brother in-law was scared to the climb the ladder. LOL!

Nitro Express
03-04-2012, 03:53 AM
When we lived in Salt Lake City I used to hang glide in this spot called Point of the Mountain. It was very popular and on the weekend there were a lot of people up there gliding around. You are up there and then it pops into your head what happens if some asshole crashes into you and you think about crashing to your death and all that. It fucks with your head. Much like being out there waiting for a wave on a surf board thinking about sharks.

Yount
03-06-2012, 01:01 AM
The only thing I like about heights, it sure does open your eyes. Grip is like a vice above 15ft. Not a fan.

FORD
03-06-2012, 05:43 AM
My brother in law flys airliners around the world but is scared to get on the roof of his house. He's flying an Airbus now but he used to fly 747's for Northwest. What's funny is he was flying passengers and in those planes you go up the stairs to get to the cockpit. Then one day he was flying freight. It's still a 747-400 but there are no stairs and you have to climb a ladder to get to the cockpit. My brother in-law was scared to the climb the ladder. LOL!

That's really not that uncommon. For some people, the fear of heights thing is conditional on how stable whatever you're standing on is. I'm pretty much the same way. I can walk around the observation deck of the Space Needle, or the glass bottom walkway at the Grand Canyon or something like that, and it doesn't bother me. And the only thing that bothers me about flying is the bullshit at the airport, not being in the air itself.

But ladders? Don't like em. Not even sure why, but it could well be a childhood trauma thing.... when I was 2 years old I was standing on a chair in the kitchen playing with the wall mounted telephone that everyone probably had in their kitchen in those days. Got yelled at for playing on the phone, so I stepped down from the chair, totally misjudged the distance and broke my leg as a result. Don't really have much conscious memory of the event, given my age when it happened, but I haven't done well climbing anything "unstable" (ladders, trees, etc.) ever since.