PDA

View Full Version : Roth is a great singer, but...

dopie
01-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Dave, please stop the screaming. The way you sing the first lines to Somebody Get Me A Doctor at the New York gig, for instance, is awful. Just stick to the great melodies. Your voice is at its best in the low/mid registers, as we all can hear on the great Van Halen albums. You can still reach those notes, so there is no need for that strange high pitched voice. I'm sure everybody knows what I'm talking about here.

And Dave, please pay a bit more attention to your timing. On record it's always perfect, but live, it seems that you sometimes forget the words, so you are too late. Well, find a way to remember them. Don't get me wrong, David Lee Roth has one of the greatest voices in rock and he still can be a great frontman. But most of the time, the live singing could be a lot better. It's not a karaoke show, it's your profession.

So, there I said it.

ToraToraTora
01-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Dave forgetting the lyrics and sucky timing is ALL part of his charm dude!

Jérôme Frenchise
01-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Dave, please stop the screaming. The way you sing the first lines to Somebody Get Me A Doctor at the New York gig, for instance, is awful. Just stick to the great melodies. Your voice is at its best in the low/mid registers, as we all can hear on the great Van Halen albums. You can still reach those notes, so there is no need for that strange high pitched voice. I'm sure everybody knows what I'm talking about here.

And Dave, please pay a bit more attention to your timing. On record it's always perfect, but live, it seems that you sometimes forget the words, so you are too late. Well, find a way to remember them. Don't get me wrong, David Lee Roth has one of the greatest voices in rock and he still can be a great frontman. But most of the time, the live singing could be a lot better. It's not a karaoke show, it's your profession.

So, there I said it.

Well, thank you very much for your advice, we will forward it to Dave who will gladly take notice.
A professional singing adviser was seriously missed here, thank you so much!

Cheers! :bottle:

sadaist
01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
You're talking about Dave Matthews right?

chefcraig
01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Not to mention the fact that it is pretty much unlikely that Dave needs career advice from a guy that wasn't even born yet when Roth started performing.

vandeleur
01-08-2012, 11:47 AM
:doh:

bluemustard
01-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Dutch people :nono:

DLR :first:

:clap:

dopie
01-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Well, thank you very much for your advice, we will forward it to Dave who will gladly take notice.
A professional singing adviser was seriously missed here, thank you so much!

Cheers! :bottle:

Come on, I didn't mean to be a wiseguy. It just the way I see it. I'm having trouble enough putting it all down in English. I have been a fan since the '80's. I even joined the Rotharmy when nobody gave a penny for VH or Roth (about 10 years ago my username was "Rob100" if I remember right.) I'm thrilled with all the stuff happening at the moment and I've waited, just like all of you, for years for this to happen.

No need for all the cynical replies here.

vandeleur
01-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Come on, I didn't mean to be a wiseguy. It just the way I see it. I'm having trouble enough putting it all down in English. I have been a fan since the '80's. I even joined the Rotharmy when nobody gave a penny for VH or Roth (about 10 years ago my username was "Rob100" if I remember right.) I'm thrilled with all the stuff happening at the moment and I've waited, just like all of you, for years for this to happen.

Am guessing all the people on this site have always gave a penny for Dave !!!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
01-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Stop the screaming? Pay more attention to timing? Forgetting the words?

Dude, he's David Lee Fucking Roth, the greatest FRONTMAN in the history or Rock and Fucking Roll....

You just don't get it. Maybe that's lost in your translation.....

You want to hear singing, go see the Three Tenors....

Jérôme Frenchise
01-08-2012, 12:15 PM

Well, don't take it too hard, man, it's only irony, no cynicism here...

There have been a few threads that dealt with Dave's singing, his '94 new pitch
for instance. Maybe it's what didn't please you in last Thursday's versions?
I only agree with you on his forgetting lyrics (but who honestly wouldn't? :D) -
in Panama, he sang "Full top and top down" at Café WARF. :biggrin:
But well, not worth getting mad, is it? ;)
Dave starts singing his lines when he wants, they're his lyrics, aren't they?

Anyway, if the videos that were posted are priceless, they don't render the sound
properly, and except in a couple of them, Dave's voice in particular, so let's not judge
too quickly...

Roth on, Dopie!

chefcraig
01-08-2012, 12:15 PM
You want to hear singing, go see the Three Tenors....

Now that should prove interesting, since Luciano Pavarotti died like 5 or 6 years ago...:lmao:

ToraToraTora
01-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Am guessing all the people on this site have always gave a penny for Dave !!!!!

And Blood,Sweat and tears, lots n lots of tears!

dopie
01-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm really stunned by the total lack of criticism here. The guy is not Jesus. Nobody seems to even want to know what I mean. I was hoping for a bit of discussion, but this is ridiculous.

Edit: sorry, didn't see Jeromes note. Too busy checking the spelling of words like "ridiculous"!

sadaist
01-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Daves imperfections are what make him perfect.

ToraToraTora
01-08-2012, 12:21 PM
No criticism??? On THE ROTH ARMY fan site? Scandalous, fuckin scandalous! (sarcasm)

Roth & Roll
01-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Now that should prove interesting, since Luciano Pavarotti died like 5 or 6 years ago...:lmao:

At least we know Pavarotti won't be the one who's off key :)

lesfunk
01-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Dopie, I agree in principle, but on the eve of a historic album and tour from the Mighty Van Halen, You need to shut the fuck up and keep it to yourself.
You've had since 2006 to bring this up...

TFM_Dale
01-08-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm really stunned by the total lack of criticism here. The guy is not Jesus. Nobody seems to even want to know what I mean. I was hoping for a bit of discussion, but this is ridiculous.

Edit: sorry, didn't see Jeromes note. Too busy checking the spelling of words like "ridiculous"!

Did you notice this is THE Roth Fucking Army? If you want American Idol you are in the wrong place.

Rikk
01-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Jesus Christ...

It has been almost THREE FUCKING DECADES since the last Van Halen album with Dave.

And out of the woodwork comes all these whiny cunts with advice and nit-picky problems.

Do you know when this was a very unhappy and sparring website (actually, it was all kinda awesome)? 2004. During the lame-ass, pathetic Sammy-VH reunion tour. Sheep were running amok...Dave was rather silent...things looked hopeless.

Now we have everything we've wanted...and there are people determined to be unhappy and finding ways to bitch about Dave.

For God's sake, WARF and Dave were almost French-kissing, a 13-song Van Halen album with Dave including SHE'S THE WOMAN is about to be released, an extensive tour is ready to go with new material, Sammy isn't even being mentioned by these guys and his songs are forgotten...

Yes, this is a time to be happy and enjoy the show.:popcorn:

Whining fuckers.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-08-2012, 12:25 PM

It's the Diamond David Lee Roth Army here...

I must admit that I see what you mean, Dave sang certain verse parts higher than usual,
like one line at a higher pitch than the following one...
I dunno, maybe he was too excited to play and had to exteriorise his excitement this way?
Is it that blamable?

vandeleur
01-08-2012, 12:26 PM
what Rikk said :clap:

PETE'S BROTHER
01-08-2012, 12:26 PM

really?

sadaist
01-08-2012, 12:27 PM

Nah man. No one here thinks Dave is the greatest singer of all time. It's the whole package that makes him great. Not knowing what the next thing he will sing, say or do is half the fun. Sure some things bug me, like in panama.....shes flyin im flyin? Whatever. Im just happy hes doing panama. Just drink more so it all makes sense.

Dan
01-08-2012, 12:27 PM

Not Jesus But A Rock GOD:D

neuralfraud
01-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Well i have nothing of value to add so instead I will just ramble.

Listen,

If you want to hear good timing, on-key notes and word-for-word accuracy then what the hell are you doing seeing or watching live shows?

I'll give you one - the screaming is a bit awkward, but if you pay attention to the 2k7/2k8 videos he was much more dialed in.

Me personally? I'l wait for a few vids of thew first few gigs start poppin up on youtube before I make my judgement.

Have you ever been in a band? I have and I'll say this. At first I was a uptight jackass and I wanted my singer (death/heavy metal band) to be perfect but instead he wanted to get piss drunk, sing when he wanted to and just be a jackass. After a while I realized "hey, you know.. he might as well be fucking DLR up there.. " and like that I turned to him and said "You do whatever the fuck you want." and you know what? it kicked ass... then he broke his ankle got a dui and couldn't travel to practice; the bassplayer moved to fucking fort lauderdale, I had a kid and like that it was ALL OVER with.. fucking bitch! all his fucking fault! god damn singers..

There is a point to all of this.. let the man sing how he sings man, that's part of the magic. Don't set yourself up for disappointment by expecting him to replicate his recorded performances, instead, expect Diamond Dave and you will absolutely enjoy it.

dopie
01-08-2012, 12:34 PM
OK guys. Good luck jerking off on your 1982 Roth posters.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-08-2012, 12:36 PM

who does that?

clarathecarrot
01-08-2012, 12:37 PM

So, there I said it.

AL !!! Jezzz, just talk to Dave in person, this isn't really the best way, just call him on the phone...say, sometimes you upset my timing and I am the bottom end holding this music fast to the rock. Dave is a understanding sort of fellow and can take some critisism..sak up!

I like Dave's exclamation points, on the old classics, but this is a good post you posted (not Al)..even though I like the way DLR mixes it up, you have the right to say what you will.

I like the stories the banter it gives everyone a break. If you want solid structure to the Album go see Madonna she lip syncs to her stuff the whole show and still charges 500 $ a chair ..nice work if you can get it .

Mutha On Bitches!

TFM_Dale
01-08-2012, 12:37 PM

Go fuck yourself jackass.

ToraToraTora
01-08-2012, 12:39 PM
The ONLY time i jerked off to a Dave poster was in 1981, and there was a naked chick in it HONEST:winkglasses:

chefcraig
01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Hmmm..7 posts since 2006, and 4 of 'em appeared today. Such keening insight on display. Go back to not posting, you have a more profound impact that way. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-rolleye-smileys-725.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html)

Dan
01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
OK guys. Good luck jerking off to your 2012 katy Perry posters.

Just Did,Thanks For Asking.:D

Roth & Roll
01-08-2012, 12:45 PM

Don't worry - when I'm done, I'll mail it off to Holland so you can stick in on your forehead.

clarathecarrot
01-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Well i have nothing of value to add so instead I will just ramble.

Listen,

If you want to hear good timing, on-key notes and word-for-word accuracy then what the hell are you doing seeing or watching live shows?

I'll give you one - the screaming is a bit awkward, but if you pay attention to the 2k7/2k8 videos he was much more dialed in.

Me personally? I'l wait for a few vids of thew first few gigs start poppin up on youtube before I make my judgement.

Have you ever been in a band? I have and I'll say this. At first I was a uptight jackass and I wanted my singer (death/heavy metal band) to be perfect but instead he wanted to get piss drunk, sing when he wanted to and just be a jackass. After a while I realized "hey, you know.. he might as well be fucking DLR up there.. " and like that I turned to him and said "You do whatever the fuck you want." and you know what? it kicked ass... then he broke his ankle got a dui and couldn't travel to practice; the bassplayer moved to fucking fort lauderdale, I had a kid and like that it was ALL OVER with.. fucking bitch! all his fucking fault! god damn singers..

There is a point to all of this.. let the man sing how he sings man, that's part of the magic. Don't set yourself up for disappointment by expecting him to replicate his recorded performances, instead, expect Diamond Dave and you will absolutely enjoy it.

Great post.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-08-2012, 12:47 PM

This isn't nice...

There are threads dealing with Dave's singing live, you should bother finding them.

In addition, it is a very bad moment to start one, it's Van Halen FIESTA here, and as
RIKK underlines it, it's been a fucking long Wait before living this, so whatever looks
like dissing, even from afar, won't be taken coolly.

You can understand the reactions here by the time you kind of spit in the soup, can't you?

chefcraig
01-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Just Did,Thanks For Asking.:D

I dunno, Danno. Katy Perry just seems too school-girlish for my taste as I get older. Christina Hendricks on the other hand...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/jaschyo/Christina-Hendricks.jpg

Angel
01-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Dopie, trying to explain the phenomena of live Dave is like trying to explain the phenomena known as The Beatles. I knew as soon as I saw this thread you were about to get your ass handed to you on a platter. What do you expect? This IS a fucking army!!!!!! Plus, it's David Lee Roth and Van Halen, we don't "play nice". You think we're bad now, you should have seen us around '04, as someone already mentioned. Meanest bunch of cunts on the planet, we were, and can still be when necessary.

You ever heard of "I forgot the fuckin' words, man!!!".

Angel
01-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Shit, lots of posts while I was grabbing my coffee before clicking send on that. Send the dick to the Dump.

CDABOAT1
01-08-2012, 12:58 PM
I took a tour of the Waterford crystal factory in Ireland some many summers ago. Don't worry..... A point is coming. So, at the factory they talk about the imperfections of the each crystal and that is what makes it so unique and valuable. Each piece is hand blown. And each being hand blown there is no way for apiece to have zero blemishes They told us the crystal with no blemishes is machine made and nowhere near as valuable.

Think of Dave as Waterford. Highly valuable with imperfections that make him so unique!

chefcraig
01-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Think of Dave as Waterford. Highly valuable with imperfections that make him so unique!

Sorry dude, but I couldn't get past the image of getting hand-blown. I immediately went back to that image of Christina Hendricks, and the next thing I knew...yup, all over my Katy Perry poster.

CDABOAT1
01-08-2012, 01:09 PM
I can't get over your avatar pic. Yowza. Who is that chick????

Angel
01-08-2012, 01:09 PM
I took a tour of the Waterford crystal factory in Ireland some many summers ago. Don't worry..... A point is coming. So, at the factory they talk about the imperfections of the each crystal and that is what makes it so unique and valuable. Each piece is hand blown. And each being hand blown there is no way for apiece to have zero blemishes They told us the crystal with no blemishes is machine made and nowhere near as valuable.

Think of Dave as Waterford. Highly valuable with imperfections that make him so unique!Thank you, you found the words I couldn't! EXCELLENT POST!! :beers8:

chefcraig
01-08-2012, 01:13 PM
I can't get over your avatar pic. Yowza. Who is that chick????

Her name is Merilyn Sakova, also known (due to different sites and copyright laws) as Busty Merilyn, Sabrina, Anna, as well as Anya Zenkova. Be advised when doing an image search from work: It is the rare thing to find a picture of her with her clothes on! Definitely NSFW-territory!

neuralfraud
01-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Sorry dude, but I couldn't get past the image of getting hand-blown. I immediately went back to that image of Christina Hendricks, and the next thing I knew...yup, all over my Katy Perry poster.

You're doing it right.

JJtheVagPounder
01-08-2012, 01:20 PM
really?

St Dave!

So this is love
01-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Today 12:19 PMsadaist
Daves imperfections are what make him perfect. .:thumb:
Also Great post by neuralfraud !!

SparkieD
01-08-2012, 01:30 PM
OK guys. Good luck jerking off to your 1982 Roth posters.

who does that?

Ummm, I know it's not called the same thing when a chick does that, but..... :o

PETE'S BROTHER
01-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Ummm, I know it's not called the same thing when a chick does that, but..... :o

which is odd, cause we can both "rub one out" :biggrin:

chi-town324
01-08-2012, 01:56 PM
a vocal critic named Dopie.....brillant!

vh rides again
01-08-2012, 01:57 PM
I've ever heard Dave claim to be good at singing.

It's his voice and the way he sings the songs. I can't think of 1 singer that could mimic his voice and do a good job of it.

He was made for the job, a perfect voice.

george
01-08-2012, 02:04 PM

I like it when she uses her hand and blows me! ZING! [cue cheesy rimshot!]

george
01-08-2012, 02:10 PM
dopie - I think Dave sounds better now than he has - well, since the last tour. And much better that years before the previous tour. I'm not sure I get your criticism of Dave's voice considering most rock acts aren't anywhere near as good as he sounds. I personally think they sound fucking great...

God damn Al's drums are killing. I'm never much to notice drums but his playing is killing on the Cafe Wha? videos I've seen. The Wolf isn't too shabby on bass either (monster attack on those strings). Of course EVH makes it all look too fucking easy ... I've been staring at my guitars over the last few days wondering how I could ever get half as good as Ed.

Little Texan
01-08-2012, 02:10 PM
a vocal critic named Dopie.....brillant!

I know. I wonder what Sleepy, Sneezy, and Bashful think?

chefcraig
01-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I know. I wonder what Sleepy, Sneezy, and Bashful think?

Dunno about the rest, but Sneezy had this to say...

http://img1.imagehousing.com/95/a047f929650d9c2102dd43e5ac9750ab.gif (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/939707)

FORD
01-08-2012, 02:21 PM
And Dave, please pay a bit more attention to your timing. On record it's always perfect, but live, it seems that you sometimes forget the words

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJVDSsoM9II

Yeah, AND????

You should be so goddamn lucky to forget the fucking words as well as Dave does :biggrin:

Fucking sheep :sheepshagger:

kwame k
01-08-2012, 02:24 PM

http://img1.imagehousing.com/95/a047f929650d9c2102dd43e5ac9750ab.gif (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/939707)

Sneezy always had a way with words;)

kwame k
01-08-2012, 02:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJVDSsoM9II

Yeah, AND????

You should be so goddamn lucky to forget the fucking words as well as Dave does :biggrin:

Fucking sheep :sheepshagger:

Really.....I mean his complaint is Dave's timing..........moron!

Jesus Christ
01-08-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm really stunned by the total lack of criticism here. The guy is not Jesus.

No, he isn't. I am.

Verily, David and I hath a deal......

He doesn't try to turn water into wine and raise the dead, and I don't try to sing.

See how easily that works, My son?

george
01-08-2012, 02:31 PM

great cans!

JJtheVagPounder
01-08-2012, 02:35 PM
No, he isn't. I am.

Verily, David and I hath a deal......

He doesn't try to turn water into wine and raise the dead, and I don't try to sing.

See how easily that works, My son?

Jesus, your quotes are just too perfect. And thank you for being cool about that drawing. I promise I mean no heresy by it.

Dave's Bitch
01-08-2012, 02:43 PM

So, there I said it.

Dave will just kick himself when he realises

kwame k
01-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Dave will just kick himself when he realises

Exactly.......now that it's been pointed out, I'm burning my entire VH/Roth bootleg catalog!

Had I known this earlier, I would of never joined this site!!!!!!!

Seshmeister
01-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Having posts like this from Holland just gives ammo to the anti legalisation lobby...

kwame k
01-08-2012, 02:55 PM
He is giving pot smokers all over the world a bad name;)

chi-town324
01-08-2012, 02:56 PM
does it seem cold in here to you?

binnie
01-08-2012, 02:58 PM
I love threads like this:

- 'Hey guys, here's my opinion. I couldn't be bothered to do a thread searched and discover that this topic has been discussed endlessly before.'

- No-one agrees.

- 'You guys are all assholes because you don't share my opinion'.

Next.

kwame k
01-08-2012, 02:58 PM
does it seem cold in here to you?

No but....the smell of stale beer and puke is getting pretty obnoxious;)

PETE'S BROTHER
01-08-2012, 02:59 PM
He is giving pot smokers all over the world a bad name;)

WHA? :confused10:smoke2: :019:

kwame k
01-08-2012, 03:01 PM
I love threads like this:

- 'Hey guys, here's my opinion. I couldn't be bothered to do a thread searched and discover that this topic has been discussed endlessly before.'

- No-one agrees.

- 'You guys are all assholes because you don't share my opinion'.

Next.

Throw in an epic meltdown and a good bye cruel world thread or a suicide by mod, for good measure............

kwame k
01-08-2012, 03:02 PM
WHA? :confused10:smoke2: :019:

I know........:headlights:

Calderone
01-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Guys i think you were too hard on dopie ...ok ok This is a beautiful time where we are about to get a killer 13 track disc that im sure will be at level with the
our beloved six pack but what Dopie is talking is about the over-use of the new "94pitch" voice.
I'm not a basher im one of the biggest dlr fans and im here since the very beggining.
But i think the 94 pitch doesn't make sense on the classic tunes, he likes to do it, i know
but for the non-die-hard DLRfans it does sound strange.

Take for example Running with the devil from cafe wha :
This has Good audio : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx356qjVIAU

The words "no tomorrow" are sung like that in a lower key on purpose !
its not that he cant doit on the record, its not that his voice is shot , its not that he is out of key !
its because he likes it and he wants to do it like that !

Lets go to the second verse ...same thing ! he likes to do that variations for pure entertainment !
It's like his life, he likes to do one thing a minute and another thing the next minute !
Third verse same story !
Let's go to 2:26 " Ain't got nobody waiting at homeeee" yes the 94pitch is there
it doesn't sound good,because the song was not like that but he does that because he wants to do it !
It's this way for his own entertainment ! the 94pitch was his new toy when he got it in 1994
and the new James brown scream (that's almost replacing his classic one) too !
He can do it better if he stick to the original tunes and 70-80's singing style but im sure he would be
completely bored , same think happens to Mick Jagger and Gene Simmons who liked to switch words
and singing styles, myself , as a singer can completely understand the point and yes , dopie has a point as well.

if6was9
01-08-2012, 04:02 PM
He can do it better if he stick to the original tunes and 70-80's singing style but im sure he would be completely bored , same think happens to Mick Jagger and Gene Simmons who liked to switch words and singing styles

It's typical for ageing rock singers.

Calderone
01-08-2012, 04:28 PM
You meant it's typical for those now-aging rock singers, you are wrong
They always did that back in the 70's , i think you didn't read what i post
they do that because if they sing the same thing over and over after 100 or more gigs
its get boring ! that's why ! i remember a couple of years ago some people complaining
at the Accousting DLRBBQ Mean street version ...asking if Dave swallowed Kermit the frog
for that voice he did , he chose to do that voice just for fun ! that's all
Don't overthink the lyrics , don't overthink the singing styles, it can be anything
and i tell you , it's not that Roth's voice is shot , in fact the 94pitch is harder to do than
the normal low-mid voice he used from 78-84,but he likes to put lights on it
and play with it...now pay attention :

Have you ever driven a muscle car ? have you ever seen how they
take off sideways ? it's not because the driver cannot drive or his skills are shot
it's for pure fun , that's the same thing here with ROTH'S VOICE ! and don't forget it !

Fairwrning
01-08-2012, 04:32 PM

I actually find this to be a great line..

if6was9
01-08-2012, 04:39 PM
You meant it's typical for those now-aging rock singers, you are wrong
They always did that back in the 70's , i think you didn't read what i post they do that because if they sing the same thing over and over after 100 or more gigs its get boring ! that's why !

I read what you had posted. And I 100% agree. Singers get bored and start to sing old songs another (thay think "better") way. But when they get older, they simply lose "it" and new, sophistocated versions just don't work. I've heard it so many times that I believe it's sort of inevitable.

Calderone
01-08-2012, 04:55 PM
You are right with the "they think "better" way , sometimes its better , sometimes its not , personally , i don't like the 94pitch on the classic songs , at all ! but its a killer on Can't get this stuff no more !
or maybe Night life !

Hardrock69
01-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Get any boot from the 2007-2008 tour. NO....Dave was not singing perfect there either. HOWEVER, he was putting a lot more effort into singing everything than he did in the 1978-85 time frame. He is older, wiser, and knows what works for his voice.

IF YOU WANT PERFECTION GO LISTEN TO A STUDIO ALBUM.
And EVEN IN A STUDIO SETTING, did Dave sing everything to absolute "perfection" on the studio records? NO!

Tell, me Dopie, when Dave said "Ohhhh I think the clock is slow...." on the 1984 album, was his diction perfect? Did he SPEAK those words PERFECTLY and ON KEY?

Get over it. One thing you must learn: Studio and live are two different things. Period. In the studio you can take 3 days to get a single line perfect. You are rested, relaxed, in a studio with expensive recording gear. Hell there is even AutoTune these days.

Live.....the singer is (hopefully) performing for the crowd, walking or running around the stage...possibly out of breath, may or may not be in good health (try singing with larnygitis), may or may not be under the influence of drugs/alcohol, is NOT in a controlled studio environment, but in a venue that more often than not sounds crummy because it was not made for audio performance, with a different sound coming through the monitors every night, etc.

Need I go on?

Well, I will just say two more words on this subject:

ROB HALFORD

Rob Halford IS the Metal God.....a vocalist that nobody else has even been able to touch. His vocal abilities were (in the day) on the level of any opera star. A range that was unmatched by most mortal vocalists.

Guess what?

In LIVE PERFORMANCE, he was frequently off key, his timing was not bad but sometimes was off, and in general, despite his jaw-dropping performances, his delivery was NOT as perfect as the performance on the studio albums.

You want perfection? Go listen to a computer.

Dave knows his voice. We know his voice.

But his voice is only one small part of the package. He is the GREATEST Frontman in rock and roll. He has ATTITUDE. A NECESSARY AND VERY IMPORTANT INGREDIENT FOR ANY ROCK VOCALIST/FRONTMAN.

Would you like to see some idiot stand on stage....perfectly still....singing perfectly...absolutely boring....or see someone who is an ENTERTAINER, even when they are not the greatest vocalist, who can get the audience eating out of the palm of his hand?

You have the nerve to expect to complain about Dave's vocals in a club gig here and not have a bunch of us jump on you? Are you nuts?

Ok....I am done beating the dead horsie. :deadhorse:

Hardrock69
01-08-2012, 05:02 PM

Dude...WHO IS THAT? :jaw:

I am mesmerized......I have been sitting here watching this for 5 minutes....looks like it was from some kind of awards show or something.....I don't recognize who that is, but I GOTS TO KNOW!

chefcraig
01-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Dude...WHO IS THAT? :jaw:

Her name is Margaret Nolan. The clip is from a film called Carry On Girls (nah, me neither), but she also appeared in Goldfinger as Bond's masseuse Dink. She was quite a number, back in the day.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg44/boomer454/01_mn_001.jpg

if6was9
01-08-2012, 05:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N56_vY5xCdY

chi-town324
01-08-2012, 05:13 PM
i thought Dave sounded better than ever on the last tour.....maybe grumpy would be happy if he lip synced the entire show

Seshmeister
01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Her name is Margaret Nolan. The clip is from a film called Carry On Girls (nah, me neither), but she also appeared in Goldfinger as Bond's masseuse Dink. She was quite a number, back in the day.

Ahh I thought it was Daphne from Frazier... :)

Hardrock69
01-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Dayum Craig.....glad you know who it is....I was expecting you to say something like "I dunno...just found the clip".

Yes, James' masseuse in Goldfungus.....and he was flirting with her just like he did with all the other bitches, lol.

Man...she is smoking hot! ;)

Hardrock69
01-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Dude...there are naked pictures of her on the net! :jaw:

Won't post in this thread. But WOW!

Dude.....Picture-palooza.....

Hummarstra
01-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Look, Dave has lost a lot of his singing skills, but let's not ruin everybody's fun here. I know exactly what dopie is saying but this tour is more of a celebration of VH's legacy than anything else. So, let it be.

chefcraig
01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Dude...there are naked pictures of her on the net! :jaw:

Won't post in this thread. But WOW!

Dude.....Picture-palooza.....

Damn! I simply went to Photobucket for the image, as I was trying to save time while watching football. If I'd gone where I normally do for pictures (Google Image), my mind would have been blown, distracting me further and sidetracking me from bothering to post!

Thanks for the heads-up! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/surprise/surprised-038.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

pkolb
01-08-2012, 05:47 PM
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd407/ulaes/Image1-1.jpg

Calderone
01-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Look, Dave has lost a lot of his singing skills, but let's not ruin everybody's fun here. I know exactly what dopie is saying but this tour is more of a celebration of VH's legacy than anything else. So, let it be.

I don't think he has lost em , his voice has changed , and changed around 92-94 , i cannot tell you what exactly happend but it changed a lot , maybe he got vocal lessons
and that affected his voice ...who knows , he only knows . but that was the time when he lost the classic scream , he still has it but it's "hidden" , he tries it from time to time
but i think he should try it more !

He tried a lot in this 99 performance at the beggining but he switched to his "james brown whistle" , at 3:03 he tried the classic scream
but its clearly "hidden"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bASxvpYiSFU

He did it a lot here specially on the beggining ...but this is the way the classic scream is now : check 3:03 as well !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2RGW9-CIcE

Hardrock69
01-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Yeah Craig. Back in the 60s she was posing NAKED, not just 'topless'.

Nitro Express
01-08-2012, 06:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N56_vY5xCdY

You can be in a completely negative shitty mood and a nice pair of tits just seems to brighten the day.

SunisinuS
01-08-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't think he has lost em , his voice has changed , and changed around 92-94 , i cannot tell you what exactly happend but it changed a lot , maybe he got vocal lessons
and that affected his voice ...who knows , he only knows . but that was the time when he lost the classic scream , he still has it but it's "hidden" , he tries it from time to time
but i think he should try it more !

He tried a lot in this 99 performance at the beggining but he switched to his "james brown whistle" , at 3:03 he tried the classic scream
but its clearly "hidden"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bASxvpYiSFU

He did it a lot here specially on the beggining ...but this is the way the classic scream is now : check 3:03 as well !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2RGW9-CIcE

Here is the deal. I used to be hooked up with a Speech Pathologist. She (and like your Dr.) knows that your vocal cords have no pain nerve endings. So you can rip them a new one without ever feeling it. Dave just got wise....saves that destruction now for special occasions. Laryingitis is why your Doctor pleads for you to be silent.

Calderone
01-08-2012, 06:13 PM
The screams are not voice-based , its a "harmonic whistle" i have discussed that many times, i know how to do every single roth scream and i know how he does them.
i learned to use the same techniques he does i can do the classic scream and the new ones as well and its not using the vocal chords.
Here's a tune i recorded a while ago, i use some of the screams there , the classic scream is used on the solo around 1:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCrvpomE3rM

bru87tr
01-08-2012, 06:15 PM
The last time I heard Dave do the scream consistently was on Carson Daly ? Last Call 2004 ????

I have the performance somewhere, I could not find it on youtube. Dave ripped it up on that show and was killer on the scream and doing it alot that night.

JJtheVagPounder
01-08-2012, 06:15 PM
The screams are not voice-based , its a "harmonic whistle" i have discussed that many times, i know how to do every single roth scream and i know how he does them.
i learned to use the same techniques he does i can do the classic scream and the new ones as well and its not using the vocal chords.
Here's a tune i recorded a while ago, i use some of the screams there , the classic scream is used on the solo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCrvpomE3rM

I don't get it. How's it done then?

SunisinuS
01-08-2012, 06:19 PM
The last time I heard Dave do the scream consistently was on Carson Daly ? Last Call 2004 ????

I have the performance somewhere, I could not find it on youtube. Dave ripped it up on that show and was killer on the scream and doing it alot that night.

I remember that one and Dave did rip it up.

Calderone
01-08-2012, 06:27 PM
I don't get it. How's it done then?

I Remember the Carson Daly show , he did it quite well , the problem with the classic scream is that part of his throat is "covered" maybe because of aging
and he is not able to do it anymore but ...he can do it if he practice a lot to bring it back , its not a thing of "he cannot hit the tone" because its has nothing to do with it.
The whistle scream (james brown style scream) he does now its done by the same way but using "other pipe" . im getting extremely technical here...and im afraid you wont get me.
I Will try to explain , have you ever put two nails and finger under your tongue and push air and whistle ? you see , thats not a vocal thing its a whistle !
I Hope i explain my self ...here i use two dlr things : at 2:43 i use the 94picth scream then 3 small woooohoo using the "james brown whistle"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wasMmgmoaiQ

Steven Tyler high scream is done using the same thing but with another kind of pipe but he has it totally open and sounds like pure voice
i can do it but not 100% ....i hope you guys understand and that's why im 1000% sure that Roth can get the classic scream back

lesfunk
01-08-2012, 06:31 PM
I can do the "Whistle scream" perfectly and with control. But when I was young I could approximate the classic Roth scream somewhat.
I think it has to do with getting old. And Dave smokes too. He really shouldn't do that

malakas
01-08-2012, 06:37 PM

So, there I said it.

Rotharmy's Paula Abdul
:dafinger::dafinger::dafinger::dafinger::dafinger:
:sign0090::shagsheep:

Terry
01-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Dave is Dave...I mean, I can agree with some of what dopie says to a degree, but I'm not looking for Roth live to sound exactly like the records, mostly because he never sang live exactly like he did on the records in the first place.

One of the solid aspects of the 2007-2008 shows was that Roth really buckled down and actually sang more of the actual verses than he did when CVH were still around (he even managed to get the 2nd verse to Romeo Delight correct, as opposed to the Diver Down tour(s) when he always managed to "forget the fucking words" to that one:winkglasses:). Having seen Roth live in 2005 and 2006, I was a bit concerned that he would approach reuniting with Van Halen in the same manner that he approached his solo shows far as vocals went: the truth was that Roth wasn't always singing a good chunk of the lyrics at those shows on those post-Sam&Dave solo tours, and was taking quite a few lazy vocal shortcuts, kind of mumbling lyrics at times in a sort of haphazard Vegas lounge act style.

Roth brought his A game to the last Van Halen reunion. Yeah, I can understand about the strained mid-range yelp he utilizes at times these days. The dude is almost 60. You gotta preserve what you got.

It ain't the splits-off-the-drum-riser, ultra-high banshee screech era anymore. That's gone. However, based on the last go-around with Van Halen a few years back, I have no doubt Roth will buckle down, exhibit professional discipline and provide as high of a top-notch entertainment spectacle as he is capable of.

Eddie Van Halen is the fucking question mark in my mind, and that fuck owes me a decent show after the drunken spectacle I shelled out upwards of half a grand to see four years ago. If he pulls that shit again this time around, fuck him and fuck Van Halen, 'cuz I'll be done with 'em (at least unitl the next time:bigwink:)

Terry
01-08-2012, 07:00 PM
I can do the "Whistle scream" perfectly and with control. But when I was young I could approximate the classic Roth scream somewhat.
I think it has to do with getting old. And Dave smokes too. He really shouldn't do that

Being a casual or light (never mind heavy) longtime smoker will fuck with your vocal chords, even if one isn't a singer.

kwame k
01-08-2012, 07:20 PM
As always, Terry nails it.......

To me that's the whole point......who wants to go to a concert and hear a perfect recreation of the songs from the albums.....boring and at these prices I'd rather stay home and listen to the six-pack[plus new album]. Drinks are cheaper and there's usually no lines to the pisser;)

Van Halen never did that and to me that was/is what makes them great!

Matt White
01-08-2012, 07:22 PM
DAVE is in his late 50's................

NOBODY sounds like they did when they were 25 when they're in their 50's..............

Not Robert Plant............

not Bono.....nor Ronnie James Dio....not Sting....not nobody no how.......

Only retards extpect singers to keep their range forever...............

FARK! Even SINATRA lost his range as he got older...ain't NOBODY the singer 'ol BLUES EYES was................

grow up and deal with............................

dopie
01-08-2012, 07:31 PM
I never said he should sound exactly like the records. All I tried to say was: cut the "94pitch" (that's how some people like to call it), because it sounds stupid on these classic tracks. Stick a bit more to the (great) melodies and the (fantastic) original timing. It wasn't recorded that good by accident. Again, I love Van Halen. No intention to spoil the party at all. I must say I'm a bit shocked by the middle fingers and all that.

Sensible Shoes
01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
No don't be. We don't trash you unless we value what you say.

kwame k
01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Shocked?

Hell, I thought people were being kind to you;)

Go read some of the nastier flame wars we've had here, if you really want to be shocked.......

kwame k
01-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I never said he should sound exactly like the records. All I tried to say was: cut the "94pitch" (that's how some people like to call it), because it sounds stupid on these classic tracks. Stick a bit more to the (great) melodies and the (fantastic) original timing. It wasn't recorded that good by accident. Again, I love Van Halen. No intention to spoil the party at all. I must say I'm a bit shocked by the middle fingers and all that.

Van Halen never kept perfect timing.....ever live!

Eddie would come in late or miss coming out of the solo all the time.

Go to the boots section and listen to CVH live.........

bru87tr
01-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Ok, doing a little research I think the Carson Daly was in 2002.

Dave was hitting those screams with ease in 2002 when on tour with Brian Young, Ray Luzier & James Lomenzo. That was a great band and they played the songs top notch and Dave sounded really great.

I always wondered if he was practicing the scream for that tour cause before that he could not do it so well. Only a couple years later and it was rare to hear him do it. But in 2002, he was easily doing it for the most part.

If you search and watch most any 2002 performance with that band, he did it a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ-PHcTmCZ8&feature=related

nitroDave23
01-08-2012, 07:47 PM
I think Dave sounds great currently,

Of course he's gotten older and his voice is "different" but it's still good,

Listen to him in Somebody Get Me A Doctor at Cafe Wha?, I have to say that's the best I've heard him sing it in a LONG time, love ever second of it.

(Here's the multicam I made from the show WITH audio upgrade)

Listen to him at the 16:53 mark,

"Down That Draaaaaaaaaaain!!" sounds so good.

GreenEyedMurder
01-08-2012, 07:58 PM

So, there I said it.

Next you're going to want him to stop telling his stories between songs! :nono:

kwame k
01-08-2012, 07:59 PM
:lmao:

scottydabodi
01-08-2012, 08:00 PM
I love sucking homeless bums' unwashed cocks.

Ooooooooooooooooook........

GreenEyedMurder
01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I actually find this to be a great line..

I like that he thinks people need luck with that.

GreenEyedMurder
01-08-2012, 08:23 PM

He sounded great the other night. Not perfect, but when was he ever? His voice was strong and I didn't notice any obvious errors.

PETE'S BROTHER
01-08-2012, 08:26 PM
I Remember the Carson Daly show , he did it quite well , the problem with the classic scream is that part of his throat is "covered" maybe because of aging
and he is not able to do it anymore but ...he can do it if he practice a lot to bring it back , its not a thing of "he cannot hit the tone" because its has nothing to do with it.
The whistle scream (james brown style scream) he does now its done by the same way but using "other pipe" . im getting extremely technical here...and im afraid you wont get me.I Will try to explain , have you ever put two nails and finger under your tongue and push air and whistle ? you see , thats not a vocal thing its a whistle !
I Hope i explain my self ...here i use two dlr things : at 2:43 i use the 94picth scream then 3 small woooohoo using the "james brown whistle"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wasMmgmoaiQ

Steven Tyler high scream is done using the same thing but with another kind of pipe but he has it totally open and sounds like pure voice
i can do it but not 100% ....i hope you guys understand and that's why im 1000% sure that Roth can get the classic scream back

:lmao: :gulp:

kwame k
01-08-2012, 08:31 PM
He sounded great the other night. Not perfect, but when was he ever? His voice was strong and I didn't notice any obvious errors.

Exactly my point.....Ed has, on numerous occasions, acknowledged tons of mistakes that are on their Albums.........Pretty Woman is a classic example and it's not just on their covers, either!

Live and on record these guys have winged it....hell, they made a career out of it!

nitroDave23
01-08-2012, 08:35 PM
That's what makes this band so fun,

They just show up and rock the house down.You know, that party vibe, Van Halen are a party band.

Dave just happens to be the party :D

GreenEyedMurder
01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Exactly my point.....Ed has, on numerous occasions, acknowledged tons of mistakes that are on their Albums.........Pretty Woman is a classic example and it's not just on their covers, either!

Live and on record these guys have winged it....hell, they made a career out of it!

Often, the best moments and memorable parts of a show are in the so-called imperfections.
I'm also a big fan of The Who, and one of their best live performances was at the Concert for NYC in 2001. They were rusty, barely rehearsed and were quite emotional about the whole thing. It was sloppy, but the raw emotion made it so intense -- and one of my favorite live performances. A technically perfect show (as if The Who has ever done one of those!) would never have been nearly as riveting.

kwame k
01-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Often, the best moments and memorable parts of a show are in the so-called imperfections.
I'm also a big fan of The Who, and one of their best live performances was at the Concert for NYC in 2001. They were rusty, barely rehearsed and were quite emotional about the whole thing. It was sloppy, but the raw emotion made it so intense -- and one of my favorite live performances. A technically perfect show (as if The Who has ever done one of those!) would never have been nearly as riveting.

Agreed, The Who brought it that night and are another great example of a band winging it live........like I said earlier, if you want a band to recreate the album perfectly live, why bother! Just sit at home and listen to the record.

chi-town324
01-08-2012, 08:55 PM
talking about winging it..how bout bottoms up?...Dave is laughing on the com umm umm umm baby...that shit is what make Dave great...hes one of a kind

Bloomington
01-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Dave is Dave and that's the way it should be

GreenEyedMurder
01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Dave is Dave and that's the way it should be

Exactly. He's sui generis. To me, there was no VH without him. As far as I'm concerned, this is the first VH album since 1984.

kwame k
01-08-2012, 09:06 PM
talking about winging it..how bout bottoms up?...Dave is laughing on the com umm umm umm baby...that shit is what make Dave great...hes one of a kind

Yep....you can go on and on about the "mistakes" on their albums........that's what makes this band so great.

Like Ed has said, the falling down the stairs and landing on your feet, moments make this band unique.....it's never been about note perfect performances, it's a vibe and an attitude!

degüello
01-08-2012, 09:13 PM
... Christina Hendricks on the other hand...

Wow, just googled her. Holy fuck.

That's it, I'm starting to watch Mad Men this week, no more putting it off.

SNIPER
01-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Damn, Calderone.. ...That shit is killer! You are a bad man!!

So this is love
01-08-2012, 09:17 PM
That's what makes this band so fun,

They just show up and rock the house down.You know, that party vibe, Van Halen are a party band.

Dave just happens to be the party :D

You nailed it!!!!!

PETE'S BROTHER
01-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Agreed, The Who brought it that night and are another great example of a band winging it live........like I said earlier, if you want a band to recreate the album perfectly live, why bother! Just sit at home and listen to the record.

or any of a shitload of lipsyncing "artists" shows out there.

somewhere

out there

Calderone
01-08-2012, 10:11 PM

Dave was hitting those screams with ease in 2002 when on tour with Brian Young, Ray Luzier & James Lomenzo. That was a great band and they played the songs top notch and Dave sounded really great.

I always wondered if he was practicing the scream for that tour cause before that he could not do it so well. Only a couple years later and it was rare to hear him do it. But in 2002, he was easily doing it for the most part.

If you search and watch most any 2002 performance with that band, he did it a lot.

Those are not the high classic screams ...you are confusing them with the James Brown-Like screams which are not
the classic ones. He just did a classic but "hidden" one at 1:29

Calderone
01-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Damn, Calderone.. ...That shit is killer! You are a bad man!!

Hey there ! :)

degüello
01-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Calderone, good to see the resident DLR vocal scholar is back! Nicely done.

Calderone
01-08-2012, 10:49 PM
What's up Deg ! i've been always here but mostly lurking , now its time to celebrate !
Remember the old days of the Torch ?

tod
01-08-2012, 11:07 PM
You mean this one?
http://www.vanhalenstore.com/shop/graphics/00000001/VH67-b.jpg

Into his bandana or his mouth? Where do you usually aim, dopie? :thumb:

Seshmeister
01-08-2012, 11:18 PM

Best Roth solo band since EEAS love Ray's drumming there.

How can that possible be nearly 10 years ago I saw them in Tampa? Jesus...

Seshmeister
01-08-2012, 11:23 PM

Instead nowadays just about every single song from every single gig ends up on YouTube with at least 20% of the comments being completely retarded.

Talking of which I just remembered something from the gig I went to on the last tour - 1:40 in, one of the best put downs since 'I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend...:)'

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/lGIXiDzYxAA?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/lGIXiDzYxAA?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

fourthcoming
01-08-2012, 11:33 PM
I personally think Roth put more into his vocals on the 07-08 tour than he ever has. I'm a drummer and the lead singer in a half ass, stuck in the glorious 80's cover band....(who the hell cares, I know) I'm not a friggin scientist or anything but it's a proven fact that male voices get higher over time as a man ages and women's voices get lower as they age. Something to do with the vocal chords obviously but I went to community college so don't expect an in-depth explanation. I don't necessarily love the higher registry that developed around the Your Filthy Little Mouth days, but Diamond Dave just cut a new record with VH.....there's nothing that's gonna ruin my spirits. On Dave's worst day he is still above and beyond Gaygar's "I sound like a dying cat" vocals and Dave's lyrics are always excellent. Dave is a showman, he is a throwback to a different era, yet he is timeless. You could have put Dave in the 1920's music scene and he still would have set the world on fire. He has that something, that charisma that sets him apart from any other front man in the history of rock and roll. He gets it....he knows he's not only a singer, but an entertainer. He has never sounded EXACTLY like the album when he sings live, he doesn't have to...he has so much more to offer. He has his schtick and he improvises on occasion. He's a spontaneous dude....and that's the genius of his style. I will always respect his abilities. If your looking for a lead singer and a band that sounds EXACTLY like the album, then your a RUSH geek.

nitroDave23
01-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Instead nowadays just about every single song from every single gig ends up on YouTube with at least 20% of the comments being completely retarded.

Talking of which I just remembered something from the gig I went to on the last tour - 1:40 in, one of the best put downs since 'I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend...:)'

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/lGIXiDzYxAA?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/lGIXiDzYxAA?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

lmao!! classic.

Rikk
01-09-2012, 12:18 AM
I must say I'm a bit shocked by the middle fingers and all that.

Grow a set.

fourthcoming
01-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Damn, I just listened to Jim Florentine's podcast featured on VHND and his live recording of the Cafe Wha? show.....this band is firing on all cylinders.......game on.

FORD
01-09-2012, 12:33 AM
And Dave smokes too. He really shouldn't do that

No singer should. It's taken a toll on a lot of great voices. And even some not so great voices, like Keith Richards.

bru87tr
01-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Ok, I found a video of Cafe Wha? where you can actually hear Dave.

Here at 1:09 & 2:06 Dave does his sig scream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J5df-TW1aM

fifth element
01-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Shocked?

Hell, I thought people were being kind to you;)

Go read some of the nastier flame wars we've had here, if you really want to be shocked.......

lol...like my first day to the site? hehehehehe

you were all so kind...lol :boink:

lesfunk
01-09-2012, 05:15 PM
No singer should. It's taken a toll on a lot of great voices. And even some not so great voices, like Keith Richards.
What just amazed me is that Ronnie James Dio Smoked and he sounded powerful up until his death.

bru87tr
01-09-2012, 05:22 PM
What just amazed me is that Ronnie James Dio Smoked and he sounded powerful up until his death.

What about Steven Tyler ? The guy still sounds pretty much the same.

fifth element
01-09-2012, 05:28 PM

there always seem to be a few exceptions to the rule...

Calderone
01-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Ok, I found a video of Cafe Wha? where you can actually hear Dave.

Here at 1:09 & 2:06 Dave does his sig scream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J5df-TW1aM

True but it's "covered" the whistle does not come out and he knows it , if i had the chance i would really love to talk with him about it
i've been doing it since '97 or so and mine is a bit "covered" its not as pure as VHII , its more like EEAS or ALAE era ...

Calderone
01-09-2012, 06:08 PM

lol he sounds better and better !

vanshipman
01-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Nice. Yeah Dave sounds great there, and for that matter he sounded great the whole show. Dave has the most unique sound to his voice which blends perfect with the music that they play. I am delighted to the tenth power to see VH back with Dave leading the way!!!

Hardrock69
01-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Who in the fuck wants to hear 'perfection'?

You go into any bar here in Gnashville where there is a live Cuntry band.

You can smell a studio rat a mile away.

They stand there and play this stuff that is technically flawless. Absolute perfection.

It is fucking so laboratory sterile that it's nuts have been cut off and it has had it's fucking dick cut off.

BORING! :mad:

Those motherfuckers are the most boring players on the planet. Sure, some of them have some balls, some of them can still walk on the edge....but most of them have been playing in studios so long, and have been SO AFRAID to fuck up, lest they not have a gig from that studio/producer/artist ever again, that they sound like homogenized milk. They have beaten down into submission by Nashville. Once they cross the Davidson County Line, they are required to hand their nutsack over and become a frightened pussy of a fucking guitarist.

I want to see a player with some fucking fire. Some fucker who does not care that he makes some mistakes, but who plays such otherworldly shit that it nails my fucking jaw to the floor.

There ARE some here in Nashville, but not many.

I do not give a fuck if Dave is spot on, late on the delivery, off-key, whatever.

Anyone who puts perfection over attitude when dealing with Van Halen is a fucking dipshit anyway.

Fuck this bullshit! Why the fuck are we even having to explain this fucking shit????

Slopie? Go jump in front of a train.

If you have to fucking ask, NO AMOUNT OF EXPLANATION IS GOING TO HELP YOU.

Got it?

DavidLeeNatra
01-10-2012, 02:08 AM
http://www.gifflix.com/files/12974e3e995c.gif

FORD
01-10-2012, 02:50 AM

Dio smoked? Never knew that. Certainly wouldn't have known by his voice. Still as strong on his last album as it was on the Ronnie and the Prophets singles in the early 60's.

Hardrock69
01-10-2012, 05:33 AM
Well, he did not smoke cigarettes. But if you have the Big 4 DVD set, Scott Ian, Dave Mustaine and Lars were telling stories about him, and I think it was Scott who said he asked Ronnie if he did any pre-show warmups with his voice.....Ronnie told him he just smoked a fattie and had a beer (I think that was it) before he went onstage.

FORD
01-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Well, that's probably different then. If you only smoke the green stuff, I don't believe it fucks up your vocal cords the same way.

vandeleur
01-10-2012, 03:49 PM

never seen that .. great put down

lesfunk
01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
I've seen photos of Dio with a cigarette. But I'd rather be wrong than right on this subject

lesfunk
01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Well, that's probably different then. If you only smoke the green stuff, I don't believe it fucks up your vocal cords the same way.

That's a great rationalization. :) It probably fucks you up worse, but one tends not to smoke joints like cigarettes unless you're Snoop Dog.

Carloscda
01-10-2012, 06:36 PM
I know he's not that guy from back in the day but you can tell all that screaming has taking a toll on his voice.

MMR played an old track with the new song and you can hear the difference.

VanHalener
01-26-2012, 01:24 PM
bump

Eat me and smile, cock gobbler.:finger33:

tod
01-26-2012, 01:35 PM
I have it on good authority that Dave spent the better part of '06 training his voice for the 2007 tour and he was in top form. The past couple years with studio time probably not so much so but he's definitely sharpened his lyrical writing.

BITEYOASS
01-26-2012, 05:01 PM

Who the fuck let sheep in the arena?!?! If this was a Roth solo show, the whole audience would applaud and yell like drunk pirates. :thumb:

vandeleur
01-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Who the fuck let sheep in the arena?!?! If this was a Roth solo show, the whole audience would applaud and yell like drunk pirates. :thumb:

If that was a solo show the audience were drunk pirates :biggrin:

bru87tr
01-26-2012, 07:40 PM
True but it's "covered" the whistle does not come out and he knows it , if i had the chance i would really love to talk with him about it
i've been doing it since '97 or so and mine is a bit "covered" its not as pure as VHII , its more like EEAS or ALAE era ...

True, the whistle does not come out. The last time I heard anything close to the whistle was around 2002. So it has been a while.

Still, those clips are something close. I have uet to hear one attempt on the new material, so far three songs and not one cose attempt.

bru87tr
01-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Dio smoked? Never knew that. Certainly wouldn't have known by his voice. Still as strong on his last album as it was on the Ronnie and the Prophets singles in the early 60's.

I thought he didn't smoke. not later anyway.

Yount
03-06-2012, 04:39 AM
Roth is mortal gosh

PETE'S BROTHER
03-07-2012, 08:56 PM
me too :(

IceCreamBlondie
03-07-2012, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=Seshmeister;1590001]Instead nowadays just about every single song from every single gig ends up on YouTube with at least 20% of the comments being completely retarded.

Thanks for the clip....gotta love Dave! That was a good one!

katina
03-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Daves imperfections are what make him perfect.

IN ROTH WE TRUST :gulp:

rocking ron
03-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Dave is in my eyes not the 'best' singer around in the 'rockscene', but absolutely the very best showman ever on stage!!

And all those hilarious video's ofcourse.................

Like he once have said : Diamonds are foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:winner: