PDA

View Full Version : I thought killing witches ended in the 1600's.

Nitro Express
01-09-2012, 11:52 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/relatives-accused-killing-teen-thought-witch-080508832--abc-news.html

At least the activity did inspire a kick ass Rush song.

FORD
01-09-2012, 02:23 PM
They say there are strangers who threaten us
In our immigrants and infidels
They say there is strangeness too dangerous
In our theaters and bookstore shelves
That those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves

Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand...

Pink Spider
01-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks to Christian Pentecostal fundamentalists, this kind of thing is prevalent in countries like Nigeria. Every year thanks to fundamentalist preachers, hundreds, maybe thousands of children are accused of being witches. A lot of them end up getting killed, burned or put on the streets. I think this family is from the Congo which is probably about as bad.

I grew up going to a Pentecostal church and most of those people were nuts. I have no doubt that nearly all of those people probably thought that witches were real and out to get them. They were always talking in tongues, had magic holy oils to cure sickness and around them I wasn't allowed to wear jeans or any kind of pants(dresses only). Mind you, this was the 1980s, not the 1950s. My grandfather actually believed that television was the work of the devil, so my grandmother had to sneak out a portable one whenever I came to visit for a long period of time. My mother was fortunately more liberal about religion and I got to live in the sane world mostly.

Also, this church layed hands and casted out the devil ala Benny Hinn, so witch possessions aren't a stretch for these people. Of course Benny Hinn is more entertaining. There less falling and no magic Jesus jacket to lay out a group of people, so it was a lot less fun. There were some fake convulsions occasionally though.

I started doubting the validity of any this stuff around 8 or 9 years old. I wonder why.

So, yes. Thanks to fucked up religious nutcases mixed with little to no education, this still happens constantly.