(Tattoo, tattoo)
I'm in love with you
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Show me, show me your
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Look at me, look at you!
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Whoa!

Like the whole song...I was a little surprised and astonished first..."what is happening here"...

Now I think I've got it. He's singing about the his new chance with Van Halen...

"show me your dragon magic" and "You put a spell on meeeee!", it sounds a bit gay at first, but if you think of it as a spell to breathe life into Van Halen again, to summon the devil and the good out of all that is magical and grate in the classic Van Halen, it's about to become true again!

PLUS all these impressions about "mousewife to momshell" or bombshell, they are about the past years of him solo...and Van Hagar...that it's returing into a life...where TATTOO is the symbol of the new Van Halen...

FOOKIN' ACE!!!

Full Bug
01-09-2012, 06:05 PM
I love how you can tell Dave lyrics a mile away, cannot wait to hear the whole song....

JJtheVagPounder
01-09-2012, 06:14 PM
I think it's "Best believe that needle hurt you"

kwame k
01-09-2012, 06:17 PM
When I first read your analysis I thought you were stoned but after thinking aboot it.....I got stoned and it makes perfect sense :beers8:

lesfunk
01-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Are you sure it isn't "Housewife to Bombshell"?

diamondsgirl
01-09-2012, 06:22 PM

pretty sure it is...makes sense.

Golden AWe
01-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Hahah...you know what...to find the lyrics, I paid my first visit to the Links, in four to five years or so...but I don't care!!! I'm so happy, I have new Van Halen in my stereo!!! FUCK OFF ROTH HATERS!!!

diamondsgirl
01-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Very Rothen lyrics.

Golden AWe
01-09-2012, 06:24 PM

Nope, I think it's "Mousewif to momshell", it seems like a used expression: http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/tag/from-mousewife-to-momshell-the-rules-and-celebrity-secrets-for-being-a-thinner/

lesfunk
01-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Wow, You and Dave are fucking Brilliant!
never heard that phrase in my life

kwame k
01-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Nope, I think it's "Mousewif to momshell", it seems like a used expression: http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/tag/from-mousewife-to-momshell-the-rules-and-celebrity-secrets-for-being-a-thinner/

Wow....first bit of trivia right there, bro!

lesfunk
01-09-2012, 06:26 PM
One more lyric that sammy could never have understood let alone written

kwame k
01-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Ha! Preach the Gospel!!!!!!!!

If hating the Red Cocker is wrong.....I don't wanna be right!

diamondsgirl
01-09-2012, 06:40 PM
well, cool then. Dave grabs his lyrics from everywhere. And he says that he reads everything he can get his hands on. Clearly. LOL. Thanks AW.

vanshipman
01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Dave lyrics are always interesting and clever. I cant wait to hear what he has for us on the new album...I love Tattoo and cant wait for the tour and the record. What a great year for us VH fans!!! From famine to feast I say!!!

VAiN
01-09-2012, 07:47 PM
I think it's "Best believe that needle hurt you"

You sir, are correct.

Matt White
01-09-2012, 08:16 PM
One more lyric that sammy could never have understood let alone written

You hit the nail on the head Les...............

I drove MILWAUKEE all day listening to TATTOO...and thinking just that......1st new ROTH/VAN HALEN song since 1984........and its better than ANY/EVERYTHING spam has ever attempted.......no "shinning stars thru your diamond ring"....no "Dreams", "Up-chuck for breakfast"......"Aboot Time"....TIME FOR WHAT???

Time for DAVE to erase all that BULLSHIT!

hain23x
01-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Great lyrics. I swear I was crying like the little bitch that I am the first time I got to crank it in the car the first time! LOL

Mousewife to Momshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo, tattoo-tattoo
:sleazy-smiley::stoned-smiley::winkglasses:

Antman
01-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Mousewife makes sense. She is a timid housewife/mom w potential. She gets a tat and now you see and think of her differently. Now you notice she's hot cause she got some ink. And she's a mom. Hence momshell. Only dave.

VOODOO_King
01-10-2012, 12:26 AM
Mousewife makes sense. She is a timid housewife/mom w potential. She gets a tat and now you see and think of her differently. Now you notice she's hot cause she got some ink. And she's a mom. Hence momshell. Only dave.

Isn't "mousewife" a term for a stay at home mom who spends her time surfing the net, Facebooking, Farmvilling, Tweeting, etc...? "Momshell" is equal to a MILF (mom bombshell). Maybe I'm off here?

DRD
01-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Awesome Lyrics!!

fifth element
01-10-2012, 01:34 AM
Lovin' the new song and feel that it is a promise of what is to come!

binnie
01-10-2012, 02:43 AM
An excellent interpretation.

I think there's an element of truth in that GA.

fryingdutchman
01-10-2012, 06:27 AM
I'm gonna get in trouble at work....I can't stop playing it while sitting at my desk.

clarathecarrot
01-10-2012, 09:56 AM

houseofpain
01-10-2012, 10:14 AM
its about perceptions, real and false also. Best to see these true colors that follow whatever your false virtue...she perceives she's going from a housewife to bombshell with new ink, but reality is she's only going from a mousewife to a momshell...she's not a bombshell and the ink didn't change that, even though she perceived it would.

Fairwrning
01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Hated it first time through..grows on ya tho..only real complaint( its NEW..DONT BITCH)....need more Wolf and less synth fill..

negative
01-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Those lines about the union in the lyrics really warmed my heart. I'm a firm believer and supporter of worker's unions and rights, and hearing Dave sing about them on a positive manner really connected with me. This is the kind of lyrical content you wouldn't get with that asshole Hagar penning the lyrics. With Hagar you got this kind of shit:

Yeah! Feelin', no I don't like what I been told
I'm feelin'
And I'm bleedin', like no one else will ever know
I'm bleedin'
Whoa! Dealin', I'm dealin' with these things
I'm feelin'
Oh, I'm dreamin', I'm dreamin', I'm dreamin' things that show me
What I'm seein'
Yeah! Seein', I'm seein' things that don't know
What I'm feelin', yeah
Lord, I've been feelin', I'm feelin', I'm feelin' things that
I don't, I don't know, I don't know!
Lord, what I'm seein'

Yeah!
Yeah, yeah yeah

Hey, I don't understand

Now, I'm a stupid norwegian but even I write better lyrics than that!!

fourthcoming
01-10-2012, 02:23 PM
"Tattoo" has been all over the radio here on Long Island today. Dj's are asking for listener feedback and everyone is diggin' it. Even better, it's two for Tuesday so every station that's playing Tattoo is following it up with CVH. This may be the best random Tuesday in January in my 38 years on the planet.

ELVIS
01-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Correction:

Swap meet Sally
Tramp stamp Cat
Mousewife to Momshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo, that new tattoo

:elvis:

FORD
01-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Isn't "mousewife" a term for a stay at home mom who spends her time surfing the net, Facebooking, Farmvilling, Tweeting, etc...? "Momshell" is equal to a MILF (mom bombshell). Maybe I'm off here?

This was pretty much my interpretation. Everybody knows what a MILF is, but it's not a very lyrical term, so Dave made up one that works better.

mom+bombshell= momshell. If it ain't in the Urban Dictionary already, it will be by the end of the week.

Heater
01-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Apparently "Momshell" is some kind of dress for pregnant women........

Little Texan
01-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Those lines about the union in the lyrics really warmed my heart. I'm a firm believer and supporter of worker's unions and rights, and hearing Dave sing about them on a positive manner really connected with me. This is the kind of lyrical content you wouldn't get with that asshole Hagar penning the lyrics. With Hagar you got this kind of shit:

Yeah! Feelin', no I don't like what I been told
I'm feelin'
And I'm bleedin', like no one else will ever know
I'm bleedin'
Whoa! Dealin', I'm dealin' with these things
I'm feelin'
Oh, I'm dreamin', I'm dreamin', I'm dreamin' things that show me
What I'm seein'
Yeah! Seein', I'm seein' things that don't know
What I'm feelin', yeah
Lord, I've been feelin', I'm feelin', I'm feelin' things that
I don't, I don't know, I don't know!
Lord, what I'm seein'

Yeah!
Yeah, yeah yeah

Hey, I don't understand

Now, I'm a stupid norwegian but even I write better lyrics than that!!

Or this lyrical gem:

I need a job
I need a job
I'm willing to work
But I need a job

I stand in the street
With a sign in my hand
I'm willing to work
But I need a job

Got nothin' left
Lost it all
Can I get back to zero
Zero, zero, zero, zero, zero
I need a job

Yeah, I need a job
I need a job

Marx1000
01-10-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm going with:

Swapmeet Sally
Tramp Stamp Tat

Either way... I love it! Dave comes up with the best lyrics.

Sensible Shoes
01-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Apparently "Momshell" is some kind of dress for pregnant women........

You're not a "momshell" you're a "mousewife"

Marx1000
01-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Vanshipman.... You said it bro... Clever indeed!

twonabomber
01-10-2012, 11:40 PM
I'm going with:

Swapmeet Sally
Tramp Stamp Tat.

yeah, i think that's it. as in, Swap Meet Sally (got) a tramp stamp tat (and) went from mousewife to momshell... i think he's only talking about one chick, tramp stamp Kat (or Cat) sounds like two.

Sensible Shoes
01-10-2012, 11:45 PM

Oh SHIT I'm a mousewife who's single!!!!!! Even a BIGGER LOSER

ashstralia
01-10-2012, 11:59 PM
shoes, you can't be a single mousewife. you could, however, be a single momshell. :bigwink:

Sensible Shoes
01-11-2012, 12:01 AM
You're just being nice. Maybe I should get a =VH= tat anyway. Been meaning to for a LONG long time.

ashstralia
01-11-2012, 12:23 AM
i'm thinkin roth army logo, my av, and member #.

clarathecarrot
01-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Tattoo, rocks and the video entertains...

I feel good ! like I knew that I would...

I used to post all the time in refference to all the bullshit threads about the members of Van Halen and all Dave this Sammy that...

It was my closer my end all I rool u thread down burn sentence...here how it go.

I don't give a fuck who DLR has for a back up band..I am a lead singer fan..Roth is the best man for what I like to hear.

And I rooled all that I surveyed..but you know what..? I think after seeing this vid and some of the jazz floating aimlessly puposeful, towards what could be some real live magic.

Perhaps I do care who DLR works with cause let me tell you sumptin..

-Dave up front looks right.
-Edwards great guitar playing sets Dave at a place that pushes him towards his best production of sound.
-AL as always really holds things down to a managable level, yet seems to elevate the whole dynamic with his unreal understanding of what needs what where.
-Wolf has a gift that will keep on matching and the rythm with weight.

I am working on a new sentence that will rool, don'no what it's gonna be, what it is, yet, it takes time to confrone it all together, sum of the parts baby..

Can't wait for this album !

Yount
01-11-2012, 04:08 AM

Any moon or mouse is a friend of hers and this one will doooo just fine...

-=VH=-
01-11-2012, 06:29 AM
so who's posting the actual lyrics? Tattoo is tattooed in my brain but I want to sing the correct lyrics!

Dave's Bitch
01-11-2012, 06:37 AM
I think GA got it pretty much spot on

Carmine
01-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Those lines about the union in the lyrics really warmed my heart. I'm a firm believer and supporter of worker's unions and rights, and hearing Dave sing about them on a positive manner really connected with me.

Same here..."Union" and "Workers Rights" is what I believe in and... do for a living

RUDE SADDLE
01-11-2012, 06:54 AM
"Why is the crazy stuff we never said poetry in ink"

Classic dave fuckin love it!!

Dave's Bitch
01-11-2012, 06:58 AM
"Why is the crazy stuff we never said poetry in ink"

Classic dave fuckin love it!!

Same here.The bit where dave says "EVERYBODY".oooooo that bit just sends me over the edge

RUDE SADDLE
01-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Same here.The bit where dave says "EVERYBODY".oooooo that bit just sends me over the edge

Daves union verse is great also. I could give a fuck that some people dont like it. Go drive 55 off a fucking cliff.

negative
01-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Same here..."Union" and "Workers Rights" is what I believe in and... do for a living

That's great Carmine! It's an important cause, and it felt good to hear Dave sing about it.

lesfunk
01-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Ok, I'm going to make a suggestion. Where it is written "Day Glo Red" I hear Dago Red.
Dago red 
noun Slang: Offensive .
a cheap red wine, especially a jug wine of Italian origin.
Origin:
1895–1900
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2012

houseofpain
01-11-2012, 10:55 AM
I was thinking about the Fair Warning album cover on my back. Like all of it...

ELVIS
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
One thing for sure is the song would pretty much suck balls without Dave...

:elvis:

RUDE SADDLE
01-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I was thinking about the Fair Warning album cover on my back. Like all of it...

Nice! Always wanted that guy beating the shit outta the other dude. Maybe substitute it with dave snd spammys face?

Sensible Shoes
01-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Liking the song more and more - but I still ain't getting a tattoo. I thought about it a while but one of you said "nothing says class like a middle aged woman with fresh ink"

Yount
01-11-2012, 05:41 PM
It's funny the way Dave makes you think. The first verse... "I got Elvis on my elbow, when I flex Elvis talks," I just kept thinking, what would his elbow say?

"Thank you very much"
"how how how"
"Slam baby"
"Hunka hunka burnin' love"
"Step on it"

ya know you can just keep on rolling with Dave's stuff he's a master lyricist.

Sensible Shoes
01-11-2012, 05:42 PM
And how many times today did I see "the lyrics are shit, who writes this stuff?" on Youtube etc. I hate people.

Golden AWe
01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Hagar fans go from housemice to dorkshell

Roth & Roll
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
And how many times today did I see "the lyrics are shit, who writes this stuff?" on Youtube etc. I hate people.

Don't let the Spambot drones get to you - they hardly qualify as people to begin with, and they wouldn't recognize good lyrics even if they were "Tattoo'ed" on their foreheads.

Angel
01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Hagar fans go from housemice to dorkshellI'm stealing this and using it! ;)

Yount
01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
People don't listen to lyrics anymore! Just like they don't read!

DRD
01-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Here is a link to artwork of a Tramp Stamp Cat I found.
http://captainsblog1701.tumblr.com/post/3328997343

DRD
01-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Also for Mousewife to Momshell
http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/tag/from-mousewife-to-momshell-the-rules-and-celebrity-secrets-for-being-a-thinner/

if6was9
01-12-2012, 01:52 AM
Guys, do yo know what a "coal tattoo" is?

There are plenty of coal mines in my country, so I know how miners look. Because of the coal dust they have black lines aroud their eyes, which are almost permanent. They don't call it "coal tattoo" in my country, but maybe this is what Dave meant?

Sensible Shoes
01-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Somebody found a page on the internet that an injury that leaves that black mark is also called a coal tattoo. There was actually a song about it.

Nitro Express
01-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Guys, do yo know what a "coal tattoo" is?

There are plenty of coal mines in my country, so I know how miners look. Because of the coal dust they have black lines aroud their eyes, which are almost permanent. They don't call it "coal tattoo" in my country, but maybe this is what Dave meant?

I was thinking it was like maybe New Zealand natives or prisoners making their own tattoo ink out of soot. You can take a walk around tour in the old Idaho state prison and they had on display some of the confiscated make shift tattoo making equipment and some of the art. They made their own inks out of all sorts of crazy stuff.

Nitro Express
01-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Here is a link to artwork of a Tramp Stamp Cat I found.
http://captainsblog1701.tumblr.com/post/3328997343

I thought maybe it was referring to the tattoo artist Kat Von D.

ashstralia
01-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Somebody found a page on the internet that an injury that leaves that black mark is also called a coal tattoo. There was actually a song about it.

indeed. here it is.http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiCTATTOO;ttCTATTOO.html

Nitro Express
01-12-2012, 02:14 AM
Union pensions make wonderful slush funds. Are there any decent unions anymore? It seems like everything is crooked these days.

Sensible Shoes
01-12-2012, 02:16 AM
All but the biggest unions have been torched. Ask Carmine how hard it is to fight the battles these days.

Nitro Express
01-12-2012, 02:48 AM
My dad was in the bricklayers union. That was a good one because for what you paid in dues you got health insurance benefits that you never could afford on your own. All the unions I had to join I got nothing from. I actually had to join the screen actors guild for one job. They just garnish your check and give you nothing for it.

fifth element
01-12-2012, 03:04 AM
so who's posting the actual lyrics? Tattoo is tattooed in my brain but I want to sing the correct lyrics!

Well....here is a different (slightly ) take on the lyrics after listening to the song line by line over and over....

Tattoo, tattoo

I got Elvis on my elbow
and when I flex Elvis talks
I got hula girls on the back of my leg
and she hulas when I walk

Speak in cherry red
Screaming 'lectric green
Purple mountain's majesty
really talk to me
Talk to me babe

Swap-Meet Sally
Tramp-stamp Cat
Mousewife to Bomshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo
Tattoo-tattoo

(Tattoo, tattoo)
Show me your dragon magic
(Tattoo, tattoo)
So autobiographic!

Best believe that needle will hurt you
Best to see these true colors that follow money for your false virtutes

Here's a secret to make you think
Why is the crazy stuff we never said poetry in ink
Speak in day-glow red
Explodo paint
Purple mountain's majesty
show me you,
I'll show you me

Swap-Meet Sally
Trampstamp Cat
Mousewife to Bomshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo,
tattoo-tattoo

Woo!
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Sexy dragon magic
(Tattoo, tattoo)
So very autobiographic!
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Got a hold on me
(Tattoo, tattoo)
You put a spell on meeeee!

Uncle Danny had a coal tattoo
He fought for the unions
Some of us still do
On my shoulder is a number of the Chapter he was in
That number is forever like the struggle here to win

Everybody!
Swap-Meet Sally
Trampstamp Cat
Mousewife to Bomshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo, tattoo-tattoo
Tattoo
tat-too!

(Tattoo, tattoo)
Sexy dragon magic
(Tattoo, tattoo)
So very autobiographic!
(Tattoo, tattoo)
You got a hold on me
(Tattoo, tattoo)
You put a spell on me
(Tattoo, tattoo)
I'm in love with you
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Show me, show me your
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Look at me, look at you!
(Tattoo, tattoo)
Whoa!

[Lyrics to Tattoo performed by Van Halen]

if6was9
01-12-2012, 06:35 AM

Thanks. The song makes a lot more sense now. The first two verses are about tattoos people make for fun (verse 1) or to show off with their "false virtues" & other BS (verse 2), while the last verse is about tattoos that are actually "autobiographic" and mean something. Uncle Danny must have worked hard to "earn" his coal tatto, it was a real thing. If this is the context here, then the last chorus (with all those flying balloons and confetti) is ironic rather than funny, followed by surrealistic outro, which to me sounds like an elegy (yes, I know it's from DIF).

Uncle Danny may be a reference to Danny Radnor, a fictional character from "Meteman" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matewan) movie or Daniel Weaver, one of the founders of American Miners' Association (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Miners'_Association) in 1861.

Carmine
01-12-2012, 07:15 AM
All but the biggest unions have been torched. Ask Carmine how hard it is to fight the battles these days.

Its been extremely difficult the last 4 or 5 years. Public employers are victims of state budget cuts and ever decreasing amounts of funding, private employers are the victims of the economy. But,with over 2 million members, we are still the largest Union in North America and we continue to organize new members. The fact that there is no money out there, employers are doing anything to create "funds" and that includes unjust terminations...attempts at wiping out pensions and retirements. I've been running around NY just protecting what we have, namely...their jobs and current benefit levels. Contract extensions with no changes have become the safe play....on both sides...and that protection is reaffirming peoples belief that having a voice, having union protection at their job is the way to go...it always was. I was a member before I became the Business Agent...I know what its like on the job...I spend everyday out there servicing my members on the front lines...the office is a place for my secretary.

academic punk
01-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Nailed it. Classic Dave wordplay. "Momshell" is terrific: it's basically a synonym for "MILF".

Btw, when I first heard the lyrics, I thought "Swapmeet Sally, Trampstamp Cat" was "Swampmeat salad, Crab Stab Can't". Which makes no fucking sense. So I was relieved to read this. Very cool, very Dave lyrics.

(Btw, the first time, as a teenager, I heard Bananarama's version of "Venus" I misheard the chorus as "I'm your fetus/I'm on fire" and thought it was an anti-abortion song.)

vandeleur
01-12-2012, 11:51 AM
On the subjecy of coal tattoo's my father in law has one , he got hit on the forehead with a shovel when he was an electrician down the pits ( when we used to have them), some bloke slipped and althout he has a scar it has a blackish line to it .

academic punk
01-12-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm *only a little* surprised, being that Dave can be so forthright in his feelings for his Judaism (don't believe me? Read his autobiography) that nowhere in the lyrics is some kind of reference to concentration camps. No biggie, but just as the union references gives the song added depth and diversity to what a tattoo can mean, it would've worked.

Then again, and the reason I say "only a little", hey, it's classic Van Halen. A forum to party and celebrate, not really the place to contemplate and wax philosophical about genocide and anti-semitism.

vandeleur
01-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm *only a little* surprised, being that Dave can be so forthright in his feelings for his Judaism (don't believe me? Read his autobiography) that nowhere in the lyrics is some kind of reference to concentration camps. No biggie, but just as the union references gives the song added depth and diversity to what a tattoo can mean, it would've worked.

Then again, and the reason I say "only a little", hey, it's classic Van Halen. A forum to party and celebrate, not really the place to contemplate and wax philosophical about genocide and anti-semitism.

Am going with the groove and dirty vibe to the song .. think that would have brought it down with a bang

academic punk
01-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Am going with the groove and dirty vibe to the song .. think that would have brought it down with a bang

What? You don't think having the bridge suddenly turn into a dirge would've worked?

clarathecarrot
01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
There is a, cronic lyricosis, thread in the non or music-forum somewhere...lol.......-I'm your fetus-..ROTFLMMFAO...almost spewed my coffee...

vandeleur
01-12-2012, 12:08 PM
That would be a no.......... :biggrin:

vandeleur
01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
There is a, cronic lyricosis, thread in the non or music-forum somewhere...lol.......-I'm your fetus-..ROTFLMMFAO...almost spewed my coffee...

Had to look that up its class

GreenEyedMurder
01-12-2012, 12:11 PM

Also, Jews aren't supposed to get tattoos. Many Jewish cemeteries refuse to bury a body with tats.

academic punk
01-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Also, Jews aren't supposed to get tattoos. Many Jewish cemeteries refuse to bury a body with tats.

If that even exists, it's only the mega-Orhtodox. The idea is you're supposed to leave this world the way you came into it. But, if that's the case, women (or men) who have pierced ears (or anything else) wouldn't be allowed in. And show me a single cemetery where that's the case.

And I can assure any Auschwitz survivor would be granted burial at any Jewish cemetery anywhere in the world.

(this diversion is quite the bummer. lets get back on track to the song) :)

Golden AWe
01-12-2012, 03:30 PM

I'm not writing a "instead, they get" and a "cheap group cemetary offer" -nazi joke here no matter how much you ask for it.

if6was9
01-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks. The song makes a lot more sense now. The first two verses are about tattoos people make for fun (verse 1) or to show off with their "false virtues" & other BS (verse 2), while the last verse is about tattoos that are actually "autobiographic" and mean something. Uncle Danny must have worked hard to "earn" his coal tatto, it was a real thing.

After another 20 re-litens I tend to believe that the last verse is an irony, too. The number on the guy's shoulder may have no real mening, but the guy backs it up with a "personal" story to impress a girl. This is just a number, so the back-up stories may vary - it may be a number of a ticket to VH gig or anything else, depending on the situation. Union ativist Uncle Danny sounds good, but he may be just another bullshit.

What do you think?

academic punk
01-15-2012, 08:06 AM
What do you think?

I think you read too much into it. :)

Not that it at all is a bad idea - it's actually a pretty cool spin - just I don't see anything in the lyric to support the theory.

VAiN
01-15-2012, 08:14 AM

Actually, after a few more listens, I'm pretty sure the chorus is actually 'that-Jew that-Jew'..

But seriously, what an odd observation - you're actually surprised Dave doesn't sing about being a Jew? Really?

Carmine
01-15-2012, 08:27 AM
After another 20 re-litens I tend to believe that the last verse is an irony, too. The number on the guy's shoulder may have no real mening, but the guy backs it up with a "personal" story to impress a girl. This is just a number, so the back-up stories may vary - it may be a number of a ticket to VH gig or anything else, depending on the situation. Union ativist Uncle Danny sounds good, but he may be just another bullshit.

What do you think?

I think the meaning of the last verse is very clear...Union Activism, Union Member, Union Struggles, Chapter number for his Local tatt'd on his shoulder...but then again, I'm biased...

such is life when only a single is released...the dissection will not be so deep when there are 12 more songs released all at once when the album hits...

...well, it may take a little longer...:yo:

academic punk
01-15-2012, 08:27 AM
ahahahahahaa..I'll never be able to hear that chorus the same way again! :)

I DID say only a little...but yeah. If you've read the book (and if you haven't, you should) it's not like he feels that he has anything to hide. And he made clear his religion to him was far more based on overcoming obstacles and defeating enemies than not having a glass of milk with pork roll. (well, then there's the issue of the pork roll...)

IN that sense a lyric like "If you tattoo a number on my arm, I'll put my fist in your face" could've worked just fine in the song: nothing too gory or even explicit, but definitely within the vibe of Eddie's riffs.

Panamark
01-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Isnt it just simply a celebration of Tattos in general with a few choice
scenarios from Dave ?

With some added subtle tongue in cheek for those that think a "Tattoo" will
change everything.

Great subject matter, debateable on many levels.

academic punk
01-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Yes, but we have to fill the thread with SOMETHING, don't we? ;)

chefcraig
01-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Yes, but we have to fill the thread with SOMETHING, don't we? ;)

As usual, ARMY fans have misinterpreted what they have seen and heard. The title is in reality "Achoo!', based upon the following evidence.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f5/sundodger666/sneeze.gif

NSFW: Margaret Nolan/Roth Army Pics (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?64077-Margaret-Nolan.....James-Bond-Masseuse-%28Goldfinger%29-and-1960s-British-Sex-Kitten....)

academic punk
01-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Actually, the song is a Dave's hats-off to the manager of the Kwik-E-Mart, "Apu".

WARF
01-16-2012, 02:05 AM
This is one of the best Van Halen songs ever written!

Panamark
01-16-2012, 03:03 AM
This is one of the best Van Halen songs ever written!

True Dat !

ashstralia
01-16-2012, 03:48 AM
it's just a fucking good rock song. the other things it has going for it are;

1) the lyrics were written and performed by the greatest frontman in rock history
2) the backing band is called =VAN HALEN=

Heater
01-16-2012, 05:26 PM
It's already slipping down the charts, do you think the album will peak then slip as quickly? Or will the release of the album reignite interest in the single? It's already not all over the radio like it was a week ago!WTF?

clarathecarrot
01-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Our age group aren't much for calling in radio listener request ...get off yourself bleater.. we already know you aren't an idiot..jeez..

I am amazed just like you, that corporate radio even played it once. 85% of the music on the radio these days is made in the box and you know it.

These hot super cool stations that keep playing that bad company ,bad company, trac cover by five finger death punch ( not a bad band) over and over again and the only thing they changed, it is a note for note copy, was instead of , six gun sound , they sing, shot gun sound. Fucking junk.. I mean fuck they won't play the original Bad Co, and they say this , Tattoo tune is to poppy, wtf?

Come at us like we know your not a idiot and you may look less like one.

Panamark
01-16-2012, 07:01 PM
It's already slipping down the charts, do you think the album will peak then slip as quickly? Or will the release of the album reignite interest in the single? It's already not all over the radio like it was a week ago!WTF?

Seriously who cares ? The money is in the shows, not the album sales. Its not the 80's anymore.
All that matters is we will have a new Van Halen album and the tour will do well, so we win and
they win. Its all good.

Sensible Shoes
01-16-2012, 08:36 PM

Still don't like you. Nope.

Terry
01-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Hated it first time through..grows on ya tho..only real complaint( its NEW..DONT BITCH)....need more Wolf and less synth fill..

Perhaps a bit more of Wolf in the mix would've been good...from what I've heard, the synth backing wasn't really all that much up front...'course I've only heard it at youtube. The real deal will be getting the cd and cranking the fucker in the car; THEN we'll see what it be.

Sensible Shoes
01-16-2012, 11:17 PM
I think that's why we didn't hear Tattoo at the Cafe Wha - they couldn't have done the synth.

SNIPER
01-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Seriously who cares ? The money is in the shows, not the album sales. Its not the 80's anymore.
All that matters is we will have a new Van Halen album and the tour will do well, so we win and
they win. Its all good.

Better to slip in the charts than to have never made the charts like some frizzy haired shit talking fat fuck I know of.

SNIPER
01-16-2012, 11:28 PM
oops, sorry Panamark. grabbed the wrong quote. But you know that. :banme:

Panamark
01-16-2012, 11:43 PM
G'day Sniper, wasnt fussed either way. I agree with your post, it would be nice if they did chart
well, but in todays climate and industry, its not as big a deal as concert attendance.
Im sure they will chart better than Sammy, always have.
Must be getting close to 3-1 for CVH v Van Hagar record sales now........

BITEYOASS
01-17-2012, 08:12 AM

Slip what charts? The Billboard charts won't be out until thrusday. I wouldn't rely on the itunes & amazon.com charts too much. They never state the number of units sold and include catalog albums in their charts as well. Plus there are a large number of people who won't buy the album until after the release date.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Straight from Diamond Dave Enterprises....

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/DLR-HandWritten-TattooLyrics.jpg

VanHalenI
01-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Van Halen - Tattoo (Fan Video) from Michael Wood on Vimeo.

dazzlindino
01-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Straight from Diamond Dave Enterprises....

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/ferr3816/DLR-HandWritten-TattooLyrics.jpg

but how about these lyrics as a comparison.....

all right...whoo
how bout you come on
oh yeah dig it thats right
is everybody ready
lets go...up and down....
round n around movin up and down in n out
yeah crank it blow out
uh...ouch....ah, help me....
now flip on over
oh baby, you know what i like whooo!
whoo whoo

Those are the actual spammy lyrics.....

to source of infection....LOL

ashstralia
01-21-2012, 03:48 AM
i like how the line turned out as 'here's a secret to make you think' instead of what's written.

Terry
01-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Was I the only one who, on first listen, thought the lyrics to the first line of the pre-chorus were:

Swamp meat salad

Angel
01-21-2012, 11:43 AM
I thought "Tramp stamp tat" was dressed up tat, lol

academic punk
01-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Was I the only one who, on first listen, thought the lyrics to the first line of the pre-chorus were:

Swamp meat salad

No. :)

Nickdfresh
01-21-2012, 03:36 PM
I always thought the lyrics were Scat-poo! Scat-poo! Mainly because I thought the song was about a mischievous cat that shit everywhere...

Sensible Shoes
01-21-2012, 04:09 PM
NickD you are silly.

guwapo_rocker
01-21-2012, 04:26 PM

Swamp meat salad

Gotta admit I was thinking alligator.

willmars
02-14-2012, 05:52 AM
It is a best way to tell how many tattoos you have on body, with the help of tattoo song you can also share your feeling about tattoo designs.

Yount
02-14-2012, 06:07 AM

Swamp meat salad

I thought Dave yelped "sexy drunken legend" in the chorus first time I watched the vid. :doh: Still would have sounded cool though!

Yount
02-14-2012, 06:08 AM
It is a best way to tell how many tattoos you have on body, with the help of tattoo song you can also share your feeling about tattoo designs.

WTF is this? Spam?!