PDA

View Full Version : The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Take a listen, interesting....

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/3WfQ-hV3WtA?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/3WfQ-hV3WtA?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U647QQ/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=dlrmy&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B006U647QQ

VH2001
01-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks VA....close my thread! :D

qikgts
01-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Uh... Hate to be judgemental on a whole 15 or 20 seconds but... MEH. I hope that's the shittyist part of the track... Ugh...

ToraToraTora
01-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Wow, i don't know why but that sounds really familiar!

Rikk
01-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Sounds a lot like Dave's solo stuff.

Not sure...a bit too middle-of-the-road rock sounding for me...but I don't want to pass judgment yet. The chorus started to sound catchy before it cut off.

sadaist
01-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Uh... Hate to be judgemental on a whole 15 or 20 seconds but... MEH. I hope that's the shittyist part of the track... Ugh...

From the video they released on their site Dec 26 where you can see Ed & Dave mouth the word Tattoo.....this music doesn't jive with the way they were groovin in that video. In the video they were with something very uptempo.

FORD
01-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Far too short to make a proper review on, but if "She's The Woman" IS on the album, it might have been a stronger single to lead off with.

It reminded me of "Down In Flames" somehow, which is kinda funny, because I thought they already morphed that song into their version of "You're No Good".

fletch
01-06-2012, 02:45 PM
it sounds a hell of a lot like Dave's solo stuff...lol:bigwink:

Jagermeister
01-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Damn song is almost 5 minutes long? Hmm

ToraToraTora
01-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Well it's not a cover, it's original NEW VH woohooooo

VHscraps
01-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Far too short to make a proper review on, but if "She's The Woman" IS on the album, it might have been a stronger single to lead off with.

It reminded me of "Down In Flames" somehow, which is kinda funny, because I thought they already morphed that song into their version of "You're No Good".

Ditto - right before it cut off. The bridge, rather than chorus, I'm guessing. I'm no musician, but the chord changes - sort of descending - sound similar to the chorus of 'Down in Flames', and Dave is kinda vocally filling up the space similarly, too.

The clip is not a lot to go on, but did I hear synths in there - not upfront, which is one thing, but kinda padding out the 'picture'.

I still have faith that the album will be good enough for what it is - a bunch of guys (and Wolf) not far short of 60.

Calderone
01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
very good tune and catchy !!!!!!!
i think it's a reworked version of down in flames !

moose
01-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Hey its NEW MUSIC FROM CVH.....................
We've been waiting for 26 fuckin years......
Lets sit back and just enjoy all that we are gonna get from these boys cause it may very well be the last time(and GOD knows I hope I'm wrong)
Sounds good to me so far......

Jetstream
01-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I actually loved it, and it cut off right before it was building in the chorus which was set up for what seemed to be something really good.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Bingo....

Catfish
01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Sounds like a 'Can't Get This Stuff No More' B-side.

Rikk
01-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Couple of other observations...

The drum sound is good. Very much that brown sound...booming and strong.

Dave is doing that low-voice vocal underneath the chorus, doubling the higher-register vocal. I've never been crazy about him doing that. He did that a lot on later solo albums. This is one case I think Mikey's vocals doing "Ahh"s over the vocals would have really punched it.

Rikk
01-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Sounds like a 'Can't Get This Stuff No More' B-side.

Love the fucking avatar.

Jetstream
01-06-2012, 03:13 PM
...and there is a little Hendrix as in Roth's If 6 was 9 in how he approached the verse but more uptempo

VHJay
01-06-2012, 03:15 PM

I noticed that too. It's different lyrically, but the riff the sample starts with is the same riff from Down In Flames. Wow. If She's The Woman and Tattoo/Down In Flames are both on the album, maybe the Ched Rocker was right about VH redoing old songs. Doesn't matter though, I am just damn excited to hear new VH with Dave!!!!!! Sammy can have Chickenshit, I'll take this version of VH anyday. VH's leftover demos are better than what anyone else is doing!!!!

Catfish
01-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Couple of other observations...

The drum sound is good. Very much that brown sound...booming and strong.

Dave is doing that low-voice vocal underneath the chorus, doubling the higher-register vocal. I've never been crazy about him doing that. He did that a lot on later solo albums. This is one case I think Mikey's vocals doing "Ahh"s over the vocals would have really punched it.

I don't think the guitar sounds 'brown' but it did jump out at me because it sounded "full." I'm sitting here waiting for triple-layered guitars on the album because I think Ed fired off his wad years ago (and by listening to the 2 new ones from '96). The tone sounded like something from when Dave just left VH back in the mid-80s.

Jetstream
01-06-2012, 03:17 PM
...and take a look at the artwork to the cover of the single of Tattoo...it looks like Dave's own art :)

Calderone
01-06-2012, 03:21 PM
I noticed that , seems like Dave is in full command this time (artwork and everything) and that's when it really works !
i can listen to a 1984-like synth on the background which sounds KILLER in the mix ! i love that too !

BruinJer
01-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Wow.... I like it! I really hate when bands don't evolve.... that's what makes U2 timeless, they evolve. Thumbs up so far!

Roth & Roll
01-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Too brief a snippet to pass judgement, but it sure sounds like post-Ritchie Blackmore Deep Purple to me - like something off "Bananas".

VHscraps
01-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Another thing I noticed looking at the clip on Amazon - it's the UK Amazon - is that the label is listed as Polydor. A venerable old UK label that once had The Who and Hendrix.

Seems it is part of the Universal empire - so, this new album may come out in the UK on that imprint / label.

There's nothing about VH on their website, however - but it's maybe worth keeping an eye on it over the next few weeks in case there is any promo stuff pertaining specifically to the UK: http://www.polydor.co.uk/ (http://www.polydor.co.uk/)

gbranton
01-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Yeah, it sounds like Roth solo stuff. But that's ok I LIKE Roth's solo stuff and it sounds like good Roth solo stuff. I say that because the guitar in the snippet just isn't distintive at all. I'm sure the complete song paints a different picture.

jero
01-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Sounds like real van halen

mosh51501984
01-06-2012, 03:32 PM
We have not even heard the EDWARD solo yet!!! its a long song so away we go! Cant wait for the 10th and the 7th!

qikgts
01-06-2012, 03:35 PM
No doubt, it's leaving me wanting more!

Guitar Shark
01-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Hard to tell from such a brief clip, but it definitely sounds like a reworked version of "Down in Flames" to me.

Rikk
01-06-2012, 03:41 PM
One thing a lot of people are overlooking when it comes to reworking old songs...

The band always did that. No matter what that shitstick Sambo is whining about, they pulled out old tunes from the demo days throughout their career:

VAN HALEN II was full of leftovers from the demo days that didn't make it to VH I.
WACF has IN A SIMPLE RHYME, the bridge on ROMEO DELIGHT, etc.
FAIR WARNING has bits and pieces, including the bridge on the old SHE'S THE WOMAN.
DIVER DOWN is mostly leftover tracks with a few covers. Hell, HANG 'EM HIGH was LAST NIGHT originally, etc.
1984 has HOUSE OF PAIN, totally reworked.

Even with Cheesehead...
There's one track on BALANCE that's a total rewrite of an acoustic song from the demo days.

There's simply doing what they've done throughout their career. I love when they finish off old tunes. It's like unfinished business finally being finished.

If they do another album with Dave (and I hope they do), there'll be a lot of unfinished business done with so they can look even more into the future. Plus, doing these old tunes probably inspired the new material.

1971Quarter
01-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Bingo....

Yep. definitely "Down In Flames".

I, for one, am not at all worried about the album. I am confident it'll ROCK

Grit
01-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Agree with most that it's too hard to judge on such a short clip, but sounded pretty cool to me. Can't wait to hear the entire track!

Zing!
01-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Kind of surprised at the direction they took for the first single. Not nearly as rocking as what I was expecting (well - hard to say for sure based on only 20 seconds), but definitely seems to be catered to Dave's voice as it stands today. Kind of dig the rockabilly vibe the song has going, but I agree, some harmony - not to beat a dead horse, but Mikey 'ahhhhh' harmony - would have been tasty right before the song cut off. Not sure what to think of the synth in the mix - doesn't seem to fit the vibe, but this is all conjecture without hearing it in its entirety. Digging Al's sound in the sample, and Ed's tone is frustratingly hard to gauge based on what I heard. It sounds clear and strong, but not necessarily 'brown.' I don't hate it - just definitely not what I was expecting. Believe me, no one wants to love this song more than I do! I'll be playing this sample all weekend long!

DLR Bridge
01-06-2012, 04:07 PM
You can sing Addicted To Love over it too. In fact, that's the same keyboard sound! Odd, but yeah, I'll take it.

lesfunk
01-06-2012, 04:08 PM
This whole affair so far has Dave written all over it. From the NY Club Date to the reworking of Old Material to the Train Logo to the opening band.

kwame k
01-06-2012, 04:13 PM
From the 30 seconds....I agree, it does have a Down in Flames vibe to it.

I fucking like it.......this is what I was kinda hoping they'd do. A mature sound with a nod to the past but not to the point of being a caricature of their past self.

Keyboards....meh! Al's drums, clear and placed right in the mix......Dave vocals, lower but good.......Ed's guitar, not really enough of it to make a judgement.....Wolfie/Ed's bass, while not completely buried like in the past is decent sounding and placed pretty good in the mix.

Man, I can't remember being this excited about my band and their new album!

Carmine
01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Ed's guitar sounds heavy as hell here...

WARF
01-06-2012, 04:19 PM
It's tough to judge the song on just a sample... I hate to say it... I heard 5150 with Dave singin...

Definately some reworking of "Down in flames"

Whatever the case... they picked the wrong 20 seconds to sample.... they cut off at the bridge...

nitroDave23
01-06-2012, 04:26 PM
I fucking love it....Dave sounds good, better than in '96 to me, the Production side seems good too,nice full sound.Not so sure on Ed's tone yet,I do like how full it is, even though it's different than the early sound.

Can't get anymore pumped than I am now!!

Wish it was more, a minute would have been nice.....lol (:

fryingdutchman
01-06-2012, 04:29 PM
It took me a few listens to get completely on board...but I wish it had continued. It got stronger for me near the end of the clip...

if6was9
01-06-2012, 04:29 PM
WTF is this?
I told you I had a bad feeling...

fryingdutchman
01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
I like how they posted "from the album: Tattoo" on Amazon.

Guess they didn't get the "Different Kind of Truth" memo..

fryingdutchman
01-06-2012, 04:31 PM
WTF is this?
I told you I had a bad feeling...

Easy there young Jedi....

Judge not from a brief sample. Listen to "Down in Flames".....you'll dig it!

qikgts
01-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Whatever the case... they picked the wrong 20 seconds to sample....

Yessssssiiiirrrrrrreeebbbboooobbbbb.

if6was9
01-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Easy there young Jedi....

Thank you! But I'm afraid "young" is not exactly the right word ;)

What can I say more? Nothing to see here, move along...

fryingdutchman
01-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Thank you! But I'm afraid "young" is not exactly the right word ;)

I hear ya...none of us are quite what we used to be.

But new music from VH brings me right back to those days.

This is going to kick ass when the wraps come off of the whole package.

Big Fat Sammy
01-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Totally imagine this is going to have some deep Zen-like lyrics like CGTSNM. ;)

jhale667
01-06-2012, 04:51 PM
One thing a lot of people are overlooking when it comes to reworking old songs...

The band always did that. No matter what that shitstick Sambo is whining about, they pulled out old tunes from the demo days throughout their career:

VAN HALEN II was full of leftovers from the demo days that didn't make it to VH I.
WACF has IN A SIMPLE RHYME, the bridge on ROMEO DELIGHT, etc.
FAIR WARNING has bits and pieces, including the bridge on the old SHE'S THE WOMAN.
DIVER DOWN is mostly leftover tracks with a few covers. Hell, HANG 'EM HIGH was LAST NIGHT originally, etc.
1984 has HOUSE OF PAIN, totally reworked.

Even with Cheesehead...
There's one track on BALANCE that's a total rewrite of an acoustic song from the demo days.

There's simply doing what they've done throughout their career. I love when they finish off old tunes. It's like unfinished business finally being finished.

If they do another album with Dave (and I hope they do), there'll be a lot of unfinished business done with so they can look even more into the future. Plus, doing these old tunes probably inspired the new material.

I think a lot of what the non-musicians are missing is...that's what old demos are for (imagine a few others here will back me up on this)....hello? Every band/artist does it... and usually when it comes time to write new material, you find you may want to re-visit something that you didn't get around to finishing the first time, even years later.

if6was9
01-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Man, but this shit is a sample of the single. Which means it's supposed to be the best part of the most catchy track from the album.

Matt White
01-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

I'll wait & see.............

Dave sounds good....as good as he gets these days

Al is in the mix.....sounds like REAL drums.....

Bass good....after last night I've got high hopes.............

EVH sounds kinda plodding to me....not the usual gymnastics in the RYTHYM.....the verse seems kinda blah....I'm expexting that kinda of DIVER DOWN era riff which just snakes thru the tunes....too early to tell....but HELL...its HIS music so who am I to "piss and moan"....I'm just glad it actually HAPPENED AT LAST!

Halen High
01-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Just listend to the clip for the 20th time and I love it! I think radio will lap it up as it's catchy with a very cool groove. It's exactly what I hoped they would sound like with the new material - old school but with a contemporary twist.

mewisemagic
01-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the link and like what I hear so far,Dave sounds great and the song has a nice trance to it...

ToraToraTora
01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
All together now " I got hula girls, on the back of my leg, And she huullla's when i walk"

Roth & Roll
01-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Man, but this shit is a sample of the single. Which means it's supposed to be the best part of the most catchy track from the album.

How on earth do you justify passing judgement on an entire song or album based on a 20 second clip?

Name me any great album or song, and I can find you 20 seconds which don't even begin to tell the story...are you serious, man?

Halen High
01-06-2012, 05:00 PM
From the 30 seconds....I agree, it does have a Down in Flames vibe to it.

I fucking like it.......this is what I was kinda hoping they'd do. A mature sound with a nod to the past but not to the point of being a caricature of their past self.

Keyboards....meh! Al's drums, clear and placed right in the mix......Dave vocals, lower but good.......Ed's guitar, not really enough of it to make a judgement.....Wolfie/Ed's bass, while not completely buried like in the past is decent sounding and placed pretty good in the mix.

Man, I can't remember being this excited about my band and their new album!

You summed up my feelings perfectly. Can't wait to crank out the whole song!

BruinJer
01-06-2012, 05:03 PM
This whole affair so far has Dave written all over it. From the NY Club Date to the reworking of Old Material to the Train Logo to the opening band.

YOu know Sammy (as much as all find him annoying) was right on the money... The VH brothers are freakin' clueless and have no direction. It's starting to look like they handed over the keys to Dave and are letting him drive this bus. This is a smart move... He is the mouthpiece, the promoter and face of the band! Ed is loaded half the time... Al is a big kid... and Wolfie is just getting his feet wet. I like the new tune so far and VH is moving in a new direction... a little of the old mixed with a new hip sound! Brilliant!

chi-town324
01-06-2012, 05:04 PM
dont hate it but not that excited...of course i want to hear the whole track thing before judging. Its new VH...that kicks ass!!!!!!

jhale667
01-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Yeah, think it's safe to say anyone willing to dimiss the tune (much less the entire release) outright based on a 30-second snippet... is a little too quick to judge.

ToraToraTora
01-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Amazon UK have pulled the clip, bastards!

if6was9
01-06-2012, 05:10 PM
How on earth do you justify passing judgement on an entire song or album based on a 20 second clip?

Name me any great album or song, and I can find you 20 seconds which don't even begin to tell the story...are you serious, man?

Are you suggesting that thay have intentionally chosen the worst 20 seconds from the album to promote it??? That would be an extremely odd strategy :)

jhale667
01-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Are you suggesting that thay have intentionally chosen the worst 20 seconds from the album to promote it??? That would be an extremely odd strategy :)

Not the worst, but much like a movie, you don't show all of the explosions and car-chases in the TRAILER...duh...

SNIPER
01-06-2012, 05:15 PM
I think they took it off

Rikk
01-06-2012, 05:15 PM

For crying out fucking loud, you haven't even heard the song. Before going on a bender, give the whole song a listen. If all anybody heard of JUMP was the outro, it wouldn't say shit.

Even then, that was a song that many VH fans had to hear a ton of times before getting on board with. Some never did, but 30 seconds does not tell you about a whole song. If if did, all songs would be 30 seconds.

ThrillsNSpills
01-06-2012, 05:16 PM

Well if they were the ones that did it it wouldn't have been taken down.

Rikk
01-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I think a lot of what the non-musicians are missing is...that's what old demos are for (imagine a few others here will back me up on this)....hello? Every band/artist does it... and usually when it comes time to write new material, you find you may want to re-visit something that you didn't get around to finishing the first time, even years later.

Bingo.

I make music with my band. Three or four of our latest songs are songs we started writing over 10 years ago. Listening to them finished is awesome...to me it feels like, "Why the hell didn't we finish working on that one back in the day?"

kwame k
01-06-2012, 05:18 PM

Pretty much......or the album is taking a direction that is perfect for an old song we did back then because it didn't fit the direction we were going at the time.

Or.....you worked up a song that was good, even great but could never quite get it right and you come back to it years later and it's the right place/time and you nail it!

The first song I had ever written didn't make it onto an album until 15 years later.

kwame k
01-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Bingo.

I make music with my band. Three or four of our latest songs are songs we started writing over 10 years ago. Listening to them finished is awesome...to me it feels like, "Why the hell didn't we finish working on that one back in the day?"

Yep........

if6was9
01-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Well if they were the ones that did it it wouldn't have been taken down.
Good point. Let's wait for the right one, then.

Calderone
01-06-2012, 05:24 PM
im pretty confident , passing the keys to dave + vh as a team is the magic ! they are back and will kick our asses real hard !

FORD
01-06-2012, 05:25 PM

Of course they did. No doubt under orders of the US division of Universal Music Group (parent company of Interscope).

US record corporations & RIAA corporate fascists just can't fucking stand the fact that you might hear even 30 seconds of a new song without those fucking bastards making money from it. :meinsmiley:

VHscraps
01-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Right on. It's what artists, do, period. Writers, painters, you name it - they are always revisiting ideas and unfinished works.

Jeez, WTF is the problem ...

conmee
01-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Brethren and Sistren,

It's hard to tell from the clip, and based on the video, the plodding pace has to give way to something faster and with a chorus. I agree if Dave ends up doubletracking his voice for backing vocals, it's gonna sound like solo DLR, especially with the keyboard filler. What I hear from the snippet is Skyscraper-esque plus CGTSNM but with a more pronounced/fat sound. Even if Al/Ed/Wolf don't sound exactly like Classic, they need to do backing vocals. I'm no Mikey apologist, and I'm stoked whether he's in the band or not, but without his voice is like a missing instrument in the Van Halen orchestra. We're not missing something as important as a violin, but he wasn't a recorder/french horn either (weirdos who played in jr high band know what I'm getting at lol).

But here's a HUGE plus regardless: DLR lyrics. No more love, jive, baby, hey every third word. Already like "...speaking cherry red, screaming 'lectric green, purple mountains majesty..." and something about "housewife to bombshell" in seconds flat or something before cutting off.

Anyhow, I'm stoked. There are 13 songs plus or minus a solo and perhaps instrumental intro plus a few reworked demos and a cover. We could still be in for 8 BRAND NEW all original tunes depending on the makeup of the song selection.

Last note. I think not everyone agrees that Jump is the strongest or rockinest song of 1984. Let's not assume Tattoo is the best song off the record and let's not assume the 20sec clip was the best part. I was on iTunes listening to longer samples and they managed to pick the weakest 90secs of a couple songs (yeah they were some 80s songs so not hard to pick 90secs worth of bad, but you get my drift).

That is all.

Icon~

bru87tr
01-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I can't get the clip to play on Amazon.

Found this though for anyone having trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE6LI1xISto

franksters
01-06-2012, 05:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az-LobV87Vo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jhale667
01-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Bingo.

Pretty much......or the album is taking a direction that is perfect for an old song we did back then because it didn't fit the direction we were going at the time.

Or.....you worked up a song that was good, even great but could never quite get it right and you come back to it years later and it's the right place/time and you nail it!

The first song I had ever written didn't make it onto an album until 15 years later.

I knew some musicians here would agree...and yeah, a few of the tunes I'm working on are coming up on 10 years old. Didn't work for the project/players I was working with at the time, but worth holding onto in my and my close friend's opinions... (not to mention as technology improved the new versions' guitar tones are waaaaaay better than the old demos)...one tune needed a bridge, put it away, coupla years later I was playing around with it as a goof and came up with the necessary part... if I'd had the "that's old stuff" mentality never would have been inspired to finish it!

basstar66
01-06-2012, 06:00 PM
man it's not as bad as some are letting on imo , can't wait to hear more .

Grit
01-06-2012, 06:00 PM

I've listened to other samples from Amazon and they don't always put the best part of a song in the sample, seems like they hit random many times when they sample a song.
In fact on this one I don't believe they choose a sample that has the title of the song in it.

if6was9
01-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Van Halen's song without a proper riff... Strange...

franksters
01-06-2012, 06:02 PM
All of the jams and riff can't go to waste... I totally agree with re-visiting what you have previously
Recorded...
Why would anyone record themselves while jamming?
I do it to, in mybook it's all good!

conmee
01-06-2012, 06:04 PM
On the topic of reworking older material in general... I'm always playing around with a song I wrote when I was 19... and every 7 years or so it sounds contemporary again. lol I'm not even in a band but there are at least five or six songs I worked up into demos years ago that I'd love to finish. Sometimes a riff or a lyric or a vibe is strong enough to live on in the artists' psyche and those are usually the songs that last no matter when they are released.

I'm thinking the new album will be a mix of older ideas and new ideas. Sort of a few songs to "pick up where we left off" familiarity/comfort mixed in with brand new material taking us into the present/future. Rather than an entire album of "none of these songs sound like classic VH" for all the jaded folks to bitch about (not that there are any jaded folks here at the Army).

That is all.

Icon™©®

Rikk
01-06-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm thinking the new album will be a mix of older ideas and new ideas. Sort of a few songs to "pick up where we left off" familiarity/comfort mixed in with brand new material taking us into the present/future. Rather than an entire album of "none of these songs sound like classic VH" for all the jaded folks to bitch about (not that there are any jaded folks here at the Army).

The thing is, if they do that, it'll be no worse than DIVER DOWN (without the cover songs). And that's nuthin' to whine about. That would be awesome.

Romeo Delight
01-06-2012, 06:09 PM
I am already Jonesing for these studio tracks - Tattoo and She's the Woman after hearing last night's performance and thius small clip.

Imagine how incredible an entire album will be?

Douglas T.
01-06-2012, 06:12 PM
OK call me dumbass or whatever but I can't seem to get the snippit to:baby: play!

gbranton
01-06-2012, 06:16 PM

I guess we can't get THAT stuff no more.

ThrillsNSpills
01-06-2012, 06:19 PM
OK call me dumbass or whatever but I can't seem to get the snippit to:baby: play!

Douglas T.
01-06-2012, 06:20 PM
THX Spillls! You posted it half second before me! :fencing:

Yep like solo DAVE!

gbranton
01-06-2012, 06:24 PM
All together now " I got hula girls, on the back of my leg, And she huullla's when i walk"

This is ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY CLASSIC David Lee Roth. A lyric like that is what sets him apart from the rest. Now that I have listened to it about 50 times I am really loving it.

sadaist
01-06-2012, 06:30 PM
I LOVE the idea of listening & taking & reworking old demos & outtakes, etc. I want Metallica to do this & try to jar their memories on how to write killer tunes again. I like to think VH did this as a start point. Rework a handful of old songs to get those juices flowing, get their minds back to 30 years ago, remember the magic. Then have the inspiration for totally new stuff that still sounds like 'them'.

Whorehey
01-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Thx for the link. Amazon.uk took it down by the time I got home from work.

So much in the last 24 hrs. Geez, what will we do between Tuesday and 2/7?

Gotta think the fine folks at DDE and the Mothership will have some more Easter eggs for us to keep the buzz up.

Rikk
01-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I feel like I need to stay home from work on Tuesday just to control my hyperventilating.

bru87tr
01-06-2012, 07:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9QBxrzx1Tc

Forward to 6:31 for "She's The Woman"

Warning, the guy who posted is a tool and won't shut up or stop putting the camera on himself.

binnie
01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
The clip of 'Tatoo' is cool in my book.

It totally wasn't what I was expecting, and I like that about it. I know some folks here would like the guys to re-capture 78-84, but I don't see how that's possible without pastiche to be honest. An evolution of the CVH sound in fresher directions is all fine by me - the music these guys should make in their 50s, rather than the stuff they made in their 20s.

Halen High
01-06-2012, 07:37 PM
The clip of 'Tatoo' is cool in my book.

It totally wasn't what I was expecting, and I like that about it. I know some folks here would like the guys to re-capture 78-84, but I don't see how that's possible without pastiche to be honest. An evolution of the CVH sound in fresher directions is all fine by me - the music these guys should make in their 50s, rather than the stuff they made in their 20s.

I've listened to it about 30-40 times now and I just fucking love it. I think it will get plenty of airplay and attract a younger audience to them - as it has that 'from the street', 'edgey' coolness about it, while still being radio-friendly. I just played it to a girl who likes Van Halen without being a huge fan and she said, "wow that's pretty cool."

binnie
01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
You never know, although I'm not sure about CVH winning over a significant younger crowd in the Hip Hop climate.

If they pick up younger members, it'll be from the metal audience - metal guitar players in newer bands will go ga-ga for a new VH record.

Halen High
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Definitely binnie - they will never convert the mindless morons who listen to Snoop Dog or whatever he's called. But I know a couple of 20-somethings who already like CVH and they will love this.

bru87tr
01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I think "She's The Woman" sounds great. That will be cool being on the new album. I think they should have released that first.

I can't totally figure out the clip for "Tattoo" , I like it cause it sounds like DLR solo, but I was expecting to hear full on VH backing vocals. I won't pass judgement now till I hear the rest, really hard to tell where it is going.

It is getting interesting now and can't wait to hear what the rest of the album will be like.

binnie
01-06-2012, 07:52 PM
It definitely sounds like Dave solo. But we've only got the bridge there, not the chorus, so there may be some full backing vocals on it.

george
01-06-2012, 07:54 PM
I like it... I like it a lot.

WARF
01-06-2012, 08:00 PM
I got hula girls on the back of my leg... and she hulas when I walk...

I change my mind after 50 plus listens... its a classic.

Classic Van Halen minus Mikey...

I screamed this at the top of my lungs for them to play this LIVE last night.

Angel
01-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Man, but this shit is a sample of the single. Which means it's supposed to be the best part of the most catchy track from the album.No, it's supposed to be the best part of the song they think will be the most commercial. Remember "Jump"????

nitroDave23
01-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Have played the clip over and over,

It's got a "cool Roth" vibe, like many have stated it's hard to judge by that clip alone how the whole thing is gonna play out.

Dave sounds great, sounds like they're not making him over work his current voice.

Yeah it won't be the 6-Pack good,but it'll be better than a lot of shit we've heard in recent years, I think we're in for a great surprise.

Angel
01-06-2012, 08:14 PM
You never know, although I'm not sure about CVH winning over a significant younger crowd in the Hip Hop climate.

If they pick up younger members, it'll be from the metal audience - metal guitar players in newer bands will go ga-ga for a new VH record.There are a LOT of the younger set that rock out. I know tons that don't bother with anything "mainstream", they stick with Indie.

binnie
01-06-2012, 08:18 PM
True, but I doubt they'll be rocking to this. They might discover the 6 pack as a result of the increased press, however.

DLR Bridge
01-06-2012, 08:23 PM
I think what a lot of listeners experience in cases like this is that it's difficult to separate the familiar and expected from the new end result in their mind. Takes a while to split the focus. I'm certain fans who've never heard Down In Flames will dig Tattoo a bit quicker. I didn't hear Where Were You Last Night until eight years after Hang 'em High. When I got Diver Down, my noggin wasn't distracted by the memory of the original and, in that case, that's a good thing. Last Night lyrics? Noooo bueno!

Mr Walker
01-06-2012, 08:28 PM
I got hula girls on the back of my leg... and she hulas when I walk...

Lyrics are clever... I mean it's no '17 Girls in A Row', but not bad.

DLR'sCock
01-06-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm digging it kids! I am looking forward to the NEW VAN HALEN ALBUM!!! ahhhhh yeaahhhhh!!!

DLR'sCock
01-06-2012, 08:33 PM
The thing is, if they do that, it'll be no worse than DIVER DOWN (without the cover songs). And that's nuthin' to whine about. That would be awesome.

Yeah, cause Diver Down has such lame songs like The Full Bug and Hang 'em High!!!! Hey Rikk, hope all is well man!!

Mr Walker
01-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Jimmy Iovine is no idiot... he heard the album and fucking wooed VH to his label. If it sounded like shit, would he have really thrown in with the band? I'm glad 'Tattoo' didn't grab me upon first listen... songs and albums like that tend to burn out real quick... I want one that's gonna take a few listens before it clicks and I have a feeling that's what's gonna happen with this one, thank God.

Rikk
01-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Yeah, cause Diver Down has such lame songs like The Full Bug and Hang 'em High!!!! Hey Rikk, hope all is well man!!

COCK!

Long time no speak, brethren. So glad to see another awesome mother fucker from the past here! :)

Dr. Love
01-06-2012, 09:33 PM
wtf ... that song sucks! What's with the keyboards and why waste a good song like Down in Flames on something like that??

The full song better be a lot better but count me as disappointed... She's the Woman was a lot better.

Matt White
01-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Reading some of these replies is cracking me up.............

Like I won't own this the SECOND its available......

ITS DAVID LEE ROTH WITH VAN HALEN........I've been waiting for this since I was 18...which is A LONG FUCKING TIME AGO........

My FAVORITE BAND EVER......2/3 is better than ANY of the bullshit I had to put up with to get to this point..............

I'm on board Mofos!!!!

Antman
01-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Wasn't too impressed. In a way this might be good since whenever they released new stuff in the past (w Dave) it had to grow on me. I remember when 1984 came out I was majorly disappointed. Now I love that album-minus Jump.

Antman
01-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Ya know, the more I listen, the more I like it. Classic Al sound, Dave sounds pretty decent, def within his range and you know Ed is waitin to rip. Almost like Push Comes to Shove.

SNIPER
01-06-2012, 10:23 PM
I have listened to it about 50 times already. I fucking love it. 30 seconds of one song made my year. Can't wait for the rest of it. I am in VAN HEAVEN!!!! What a great fucking year this will be!!!

sonrisa salvaje
01-06-2012, 11:20 PM
I have listened to it and frankly i like what i heard. No one can listen to this and make any kind of intelligent decision as to whether it is killer or it sucks. I know i heard Dave's voice and that was all i needed to travel on. I'm am good to go.

Zing!
01-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Nothing for nothing - maybe this is just me - but it seems that what most people are hung up on here is the fact that Dave is singing over himself toward the end of this preview track. He never really did that in the 6-pack so that it was completely obvious (and only recently did it on the Best Of... disk) It is jarring to say the least when you think of classic Van Halen - I think we all were expecting a bit of harmonizing from Ed and Wolf rather than from Dave and Dave - but who knows... maybe it's one little bit of one song. I hope the whole album is not like that; it's one of the things that has always bugged me about CFTH and Skyscraper - hell, most of Dave's solo work. We expect old school background vocals done right when it comes to VH. If it's right for this particular verse, or even this particular song, I can live with it.

njbill
01-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Not digging the Bert Tuggle Keys. But like everyone said, it's 30 seconds of a 13 song album.

Jetstream
01-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Been listening to that excerpt from Tattoo and I love the way it is constructed and that chorus is a really catchy kick ass one that you only get a snippet of...I really like it and I already know from Cafe Wha? the energy to She's the Woman and they have a new version of Bullethead on the lp...this going to be good. I love the titles to the tracks which where posted, if they hold to be true

Little Texan
01-07-2012, 02:51 AM
For those that can't download the clip on Amazon, here it is on YouTube...

DlocRoth
01-07-2012, 03:01 AM
Relax, folks......

YES. It sounds like solo Dave.

BUT!

When that bridge comes in and caves your jaw in.....

Nothin but yeah!

=VH=

DavidLeeNatra
01-07-2012, 03:30 AM
if it sounds good...it is good...sounds good to me...

Halen High
01-07-2012, 06:55 AM
I have listened to it about 50 times already. I fucking love it. 30 seconds of one song made my year. Can't wait for the rest of it. I am in VAN HEAVEN!!!! What a great fucking year this will be!!!

I'm with you SNIPER - I loved it the first time I listened to it. You know...a few hours ago I was listening to it for the 70th time or whatever, and I actually got chills.

ashstralia
01-07-2012, 07:00 AM
i like it.

sounds full of swaggery goodness. like a big block with a triple carb and it's idling...you just know there's a mighty noise in there ready to be unleashed.

vandeleur
01-07-2012, 08:37 AM
I love it , its a grower. First i thought yeah thats cool after a few listens its in there and am singing it round the house .
Would rather it had a bit of slow burn appeal than totally love it then after a cople of listen be burned by it .

njbill
01-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Swap Meet Sally

Tramp Stamp Kat

Housewife to Bombshell.......?

brian12069
01-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Isn't it tramp stamp "tat" ?

Vinnie Velvet
01-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Difficult to review a short clip but I must say its pretty good! Dave sounds great.

During the first bit is that a synth in the background?

Jérôme Frenchise
01-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Difficult to review a short clip but I must say its pretty good! Dave sounds great.

During the first bit is that a synth in the background?

I think it is...

As many said, it sounds a lot like Dave solo - could it be
some?... There have been many outcuts from his solo career
circulating, but who knows, maybe we missed this one....

Can Amazon be trusted when they post this as a clip from
"Tattoo", whereas the Band has thoroughly avoided leaking
anything so far?

Just my 2 eurocents :)

Va Beach VH Fan
01-07-2012, 09:13 AM
You couldn't put this in any of the other Tattoo threads....

Sigh, moving....

Jérôme Frenchise
01-07-2012, 10:17 AM
You couldn't put this in any of the other Tattoo threads....

Sigh, moving....

Sorry VA, it was silly posting this, in retrospect.

I wouldn't mind if you deleted #130, on the contrary...

Cheers!

glimmer1984
01-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Swap Meet Sally

Tramp Stamp Kat

....In a few seconds flat?

Va Beach VH Fan
01-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Sorry VA, it was silly posting this, in retrospect.

I wouldn't mind if you deleted #130, on the contrary...

Cheers!

No, that wasn't directed to you...

Coyote
01-07-2012, 10:37 AM
For those that can't download the clip on Amazon, here it is on YouTube...

Slightly reminds me of...

njbill
01-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Isn't it tramp stamp "tat" ?

Yea, you're probably right, that makes more sense

ZahZoo
01-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I really like the new clip. Got a great vibe and what I heard plays well into Dave's best vocal range. Lyrically... old school CVH/Diamond Dave. That's a key component. The verse rhythm and bridge to chorus sounds like a perfect launch pad for a kick ass Eddie guitar solo... also leaves room for some nice stop registers and potential for a little bass showcasing. Looking forward to hear the whole enchilada...

I know I was not happy with She's the Woman the other night... it's growing on me. It's not a bad song, but the main riff is pretty over utilized in a lot of other rock songs. This version reminded me of Molly Hatchet's Gator Cuntry played at high speed. I guess we'll see how it fits in with the overall album content.

Still pretty damned excited!!!

DLR Bridge
01-07-2012, 11:40 AM
I know I was not happy with She's the Woman the other night... it's growing on me.

I think there's a lot of that going around. I'm damned excited too!

flappo
01-07-2012, 11:53 AM
i like it

as long as there's no fucking synthesizers i'm happy

SparkieD
01-07-2012, 11:56 AM
I just hope it ain't a diss on chicks with ink.

hain23x
01-07-2012, 12:06 PM
30 sec clip is cooler than anything van hagar ever did

franksters
01-07-2012, 01:36 PM
30 sec clip is cooler than anything van hagar ever did

The truth in 30sec..

Little Texan
01-07-2012, 02:30 PM
I always loved that Down In Flames main riff and I'm glad they're finally using it in a released version of one of their songs. Sounds good to me so far, those short 30 seconds blow away anything this band has done in quite some time...definitely better than anything on VDIII and the 3 Hagar abortions from 2004. Ed's guitar sounds good and so does Dave's voice...can't wait to hear the rest of the song Tuesday.

78/84 guy
01-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Slightly reminds me of...

I thought the same thing. I like it.

VH Drummer
01-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Since it's nearly 5 minutes long, you just know this song is going to take off at one point. It's probably a really dynamic track. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest.

DLR Bridge
01-07-2012, 06:16 PM
i like it

as long as there's no fucking synthesizers i'm happy

We listening to the same clip? There's a pinch of synth in the background. Hate to mention the other era at a time like this, but the synth reminds me little bit of what's behind the solo to Poundcake. I think thats Ed's old stand by track-flesher-outer sound. Works for me!

liquid_strat
01-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Bingo....

That just lets me know how important Ted Templeman was to those roth VH records.

Pink Spider
01-07-2012, 11:22 PM
The vocals sound like something off a solo Dave album, but I like that.

Only 3 more days!

Halen High
01-07-2012, 11:32 PM
I just hope it ain't a diss on chicks with ink.

I'm sure it's a tribute to chicks with ink as Dave loves street art.

I wonder if Dave designed the artwork for the single? I think it's cool.

njbill
01-07-2012, 11:40 PM
We listening to the same clip? There's a pinch of synth in the background. Hate to mention the other era at a time like this, but the synth reminds me little bit of what's behind the solo to Poundcake. I think thats Ed's old stand by track-flesher-outer sound. Works for me!

I was listening to EEAS today, and it sounds like the Brett Tuggle sound on Goin Crazy to me LOL.

The lyrics are fucking tits. "Swap meet Sally, trampstamp tat.... housewife to bombshell

Halen High
01-07-2012, 11:41 PM
I really like the new clip. Got a great vibe and what I heard plays well into Dave's best vocal range. Lyrically... old school CVH/Diamond Dave. That's a key component. The verse rhythm and bridge to chorus sounds like a perfect launch pad for a kick ass Eddie guitar solo... also leaves room for some nice stop registers and potential for a little bass showcasing. Looking forward to hear the whole enchilada...

I know I was not happy with She's the Woman the other night... it's growing on me. It's not a bad song, but the main riff is pretty over utilized in a lot of other rock songs. This version reminded me of Molly Hatchet's Gator Cuntry played at high speed. I guess we'll see how it fits in with the overall album content.

Still pretty damned excited!!!

I was hoping for Let's Get Rockin' or Big Trouble (which we may still get), but I was happy with She's The Woman and like you, the more I hear it the more I fucking love it! Imagine how great it's going to sound on the album.

I think Tattoo is going to announce these guys to the world. From just 30 seconds, it sounds like the kind of track hardrock-loving Aussies - of all ages - will love to hear.

SparkieD
01-08-2012, 12:29 AM
The subject matter and hearing the word "bombshell" in the lyrics has me wishfully thinking Dave may have been lurking around here and seen my siggy.

Whorehey
01-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Laying around the house with Mrs. Whorehey, we're checking out
the early edition of the Sunday paper. I'm checking out
the Best Buy flyer thinking they MIGHT have the digital single
artwork in the music section. Bunch of CD's marked down
to $7.99 this week.

III guesses what was among them? :)

Little Texan
01-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Chickenshit III?

Whorehey
01-08-2012, 01:41 AM
Yuuuuuup!O

Nitro Express
01-08-2012, 01:53 AM
I've never been the guy that likes the hit song usually. It's rarely the best song on an album for me. The least favorite song on 1984 for me is Jump. I didn't care for And The Cradle Will Rock either. I find it odd that the songs that got all the attention were keyboard songs. I think Tattoo will be the same type of deal and I hope to hear some real rockers on the album.

sadaist
01-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Swap Meet Sally

Tramp Stamp Tat

In one hour flat!

Jérôme Frenchise
01-08-2012, 05:54 AM
The subject matter and hearing the word "bombshell" in the lyrics has me wishfully thinking Dave may have been lurking around here and seen my siggy.

Who knows? :)

The Roth Army Forums could be a damn huge mine of inspiration for Dave's lyrics... :cool:

sadaist
01-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Who knows? :)

The Roth Army Forums could be a damn huge mine of inspiration for Dave's lyrics... :cool:

Oh God. I hope he doesn't try to decipher Thome.

Little Texan
01-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Oh God. I hope he doesn't try to decipher Thome.

I think thome was the inspiration behind the BBQ video.

They both make about as much sense.

mdk1967
01-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Bottom line: It's new VH song... from a new VH album... with DLR. Personally, that's all I need to know!

Senzble Shoes
01-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I was just on youtube and wanted to hear TATTOO again, it has been blocked/removed. Sorry if this has been posted already.

if6was9
01-09-2012, 01:24 AM
Thank God

Unchainme
01-09-2012, 01:27 AM
baaaa!

seriously dude.

don't like it. don't come here. we don't need your sheep ass here.

Nitro Express
01-09-2012, 01:33 AM
I was just on youtube and wanted to hear TATTOO again, it has been blocked/removed. Sorry if this has been posted already.

I think they should leave the song out for people to hear and then offer some extra goodies for the paying customers. No wonder the record labels are in trouble. They just plain don't understand how to market in the internet age. They are trying to hoard and control everything when in reality, you just have to offer the paying public something they can't get for free.

Panamark
01-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Hey ! Its the tenth in Oz in about 2 hours !!

Maybe I can sneak it out to the other side of the planet
a day early (your time ?)

:behindsofa:

fryingdutchman
01-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Yup...looks like the audio clip finally got killed across the board. The Amazon clip was shut down early, but it was working here at the Army up until today (or sometime late last night).

Oh well...tomorrow isn't far away.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-09-2012, 06:12 AM
Hey ! Its the tenth in Oz in about 2 hours !!

Maybe I can sneak it out to the other side of the planet
a day early (your time ?)

:behindsofa:

Hi Panam'!

It's midday here, on the 9th...

Wish you "Tattoo" will be available first Down Under!

Would be fair, remembering the cancellation of Oz fests
last year!

It's worth giving a peep!

:peep:

Panamark
01-09-2012, 06:14 AM
Well I know its getting technical, but we
here in the southern hemisphere are almost
on the tenth.

Wheres Dan the Man, our trans tasman brothers
are already in the tenth !

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=22

Panamark
01-09-2012, 06:16 AM
G'day Jerome !

Panamark
01-09-2012, 06:19 AM
I was told about that festival falling through
right in the middle of a huge move.. Fuckit !

We were going to go. I reckon we will get another chance,
its all good !

negative
01-09-2012, 06:21 AM
According to VanHalenUK on Twitter it's available for download on iTunes New Zealand...

Panamark
01-09-2012, 06:24 AM
There ya go !

Wheres a kiwi when you need one ?? lol

Carmine
01-09-2012, 06:26 AM
There ya go !

Wake up, New Zealand! Somebody grab this already!

if6was9
01-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Take a look here:

It's a hoax, I suppose. All tracks are 3:50 minutes.

vanhalenuk
01-09-2012, 06:29 AM
I've confirmed Tattoo is available on itunes NZ

Jérôme Frenchise
01-09-2012, 06:30 AM
I was told about that festival falling through
right in the middle of a huge move.. Fuckit !

We were going to go. I reckon we will get another chance,
its all good !

Yes, definitely! Let's hope this Tour will spread worldwide this time!

With the new album out, chances are big!

Panamark
01-09-2012, 06:32 AM
According to VanHalenUK on Twitter it's available for download on iTunes New Zealand...

Hmmmm.... I may have to reactivate my i-tunes.... (I feel so raped letting apple on my PC !)

Is there a free source ?

Jérôme Frenchise
01-09-2012, 06:33 AM
There ya go !

Wake up, New Zealand! Somebody grab this already!

Dan? PANTS OFF !!!

:biggrin:

Panamark
01-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Dan the Man where are you ??

Must be a stray sheep grazing in his yard :)

vanhalenuk
01-09-2012, 06:40 AM
http://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/tattoo-single/id493505966 - a bit of a longer preview clip

negative
01-09-2012, 06:41 AM
http://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/tattoo-single/id493505966 - a bit of a longer preview clip

I have to install itunes in order to hear that, and I hate Apple like the fucking plague!! To install or not to install.... Isn't there any other sources for grabbing this thing? Fucking piece of shit iTunes...

if6was9
01-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Can somebody youtube it?

vanhalenuk
01-09-2012, 06:46 AM
here's a clue - tatoo tattoo

Panamark
01-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Just reactivated apple crap, can see the song
tried to buy it and its basically saying I need
to buy from Apple Australia... 1 hour to go :)

vanhalenuk
01-09-2012, 06:51 AM
you can switch to the nz store to hear the preview.

if6was9
01-09-2012, 06:54 AM
You lucky Kiwis

Panamark
01-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Shit I will have to convert it ? Apple DRM crap ?
Will the ghost of Steve Jobs come and eat my soul ?

vanhalenuk
01-09-2012, 06:55 AM
http://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/tattoo-single/id493505966 - dont need itunes to listen to this one

Panamark
01-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Fuck its great !

binnie
01-09-2012, 06:58 AM
There's so much fumbling in this thread it's like a, erm, Van Halen reunion.....

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Worth checking out you get the prechorus, chorus and second verse...

Panamark
01-09-2012, 07:00 AM
I can hear it, let me try and convert

negative
01-09-2012, 07:02 AM
I installed of course.... And I can safely say that Tattoo sounds great!

Panamark
01-09-2012, 07:03 AM
anyhone have a quick tip on how I can grab it and upload here ? yikes

Panamark
Temp files ?

Jérôme Frenchise
http://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/tattoo-single/id493505966 - dont need itunes to listen to this one

Thanks !!

The sound is BIG!! The chorus sounds very, very catchy!

Panamark
01-09-2012, 07:06 AM

Nevermind, you saved me some frantic tweaking. It Rocks ! Awesome, thanks !

binnie
01-09-2012, 07:06 AM
It's like you guys are peaking through the crack in the window to the girl's room and the rest of us are left outside in the cold with our dicks in our hands....

:D

Panamark
01-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Binnie try link above ! Preview

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Have they just cut it back from 90 seconds to 30?

vandeleur
01-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Have they just cut it back from 90 seconds to 30?

If so is it the 30 seconds we have already heard ?

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 07:25 AM
No what it is that you get a 90 second clip if you listen to it in iTunes. It's a bit ropey maybe due to high demand or the fact I'm attached to the NZ store. :)

After the Tattoo Tattoo chorus hook there is a Dave talking bit akin to the end of Big Trouble from EEAS and then into a second verse, prechorus, chorus

Panamark
01-09-2012, 07:29 AM
My preview is 90 secs, folks it kills the initial preview, I can buy it for $2 in 30 mins if someone has a trick
to upload it here, lemme know

negative
01-09-2012, 07:31 AM
My 4 year old daughter is currently dancing across the living room to it, it fucking grooves baby!!!

fryingdutchman
01-09-2012, 07:31 AM
I'm salivating for this now....

Glad to hear the full song kicks ass? Many here had reservations after the 30 second snippet....maybe this will put that to rest.

negative
01-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Mind you, it's only the 90 sec preview, so no guitar solo yet.

vanhalenuk
01-09-2012, 07:34 AM
My preview is 90 secs, folks it kills the initial preview, I can buy it for $2 in 30 mins if someone has a trick
to upload it here, lemme know

google is your friends here - maybe this gives some ideas? http://askbobrankin.com/convert_itunes_to_mp3.html

vandeleur
01-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Just heard the new clip ... had to log on to p.c as iphone wouldnt follow link. stong chorus i like it

Dave's Bitch
01-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Hope i can hear it another place but itunes.I really dont want itunes

george
01-09-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm liking what I hear!

negative
01-09-2012, 07:44 AM
It was worth installing that piece of shit software when I saw my 4 year old girl dancing to Tattoo... Here's to hoping she'll grow up to love rock'n'roll like her dad!!!

Zing!
01-09-2012, 07:44 AM
I am up at midnight tonight to download - full review if someone doesn't beat me to it first. This is history, folks...

vandeleur
01-09-2012, 07:47 AM
yip am having a bit of a drink tonight and at midnight will down load it with the lads have a bit of a lauch party

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 07:52 AM
yip am having a bit of a drink tonight and at midnight will down load it with the lads have a bit of a lauch party

We can see that... :D

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 07:54 AM
It was worth installing that piece of shit software when I saw my 4 year old girl dancing to Tattoo... Here's to hoping she'll grow up to love rock'n'roll like her dad!!!

Interesting, we'll pass that on to the people at Diamond Dave Enterprises.

First feedback is that demographically speaking the single is scoring highly with the crucial younger audiences in Scandinavia :)

Dave's Bitch
01-09-2012, 07:56 AM

May have to then.My lil' girl loves Rock too :)

Panamark
01-09-2012, 07:57 AM
I managed to convert to MP3 but I think its too big to upload here..
Keeps hanging my PC.

Yikes, its really cool guys ! Im just a bit rusty here, worth the wait !!!
I'll try again, did we reduce aattachment size in last 6 months ?

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Just a reminder to everyone that previews are fine but when the whole single appears online we won't allow posts linking to any illegal downloads.

Panamark
01-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Just a reminder to everyone that previews are fine but when the whole single appears online we won't allow posts linking to any illegal downloads.

Hey ! I paid for it :p

But I get the gist, fuck ya.. you can wait :)

vanhalenuk
01-09-2012, 08:05 AM
cant see it in aussie itunes - what gives?

negative
01-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Interesting, we'll pass that on to the people at Diamond Dave Enterprises.

First feedback is that demographically speaking the single is scoring highly with the crucial younger audiences in Scandinavia :)

Yup, if that is the demographic they're aiming this album at, I think we conclude that they've hit the jackpot!! Seriously though, I can see this song crossing over to mainstream radio big time, it has a great groove to it.

Panamark
01-09-2012, 08:08 AM
This album is gonna rock. This track sounds so much better than I anticipated :thumbs:

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 08:09 AM
To me Tattoo sounds like a total Dave song, he's very centre stage on this one.

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 08:10 AM
iTunes in the UK doesn't let you buy from their NZ store, you can only preview stuff there.

Fuck knows why, we only get globalisation only when it suits big business.

Panamark
01-09-2012, 08:10 AM
I dunno what gives ? IP addresses ?

I tried the old sound recorder in XP but it only records 60 secs.Not gonna upload it if we will get into shit.

Panamark
01-09-2012, 08:12 AM

Do you like it Sesh ? Its really surprised me

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 08:13 AM
I think letting people hear the preview would have been fine. The existing one on US Amazon is pretty dumb, unless you are a big fan it wouldn't be enough to make you buy it, the one with the later 30 seconds with the chorus would.

vandeleur
01-09-2012, 08:17 AM
:rockon:

Dave center stage in van halen :rockon:

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Do you like it Sesh ? Its really surprised me

Yeah I haven't been commenting on it up until now because all the other preview gave us was a pretty non descript verse but the prechorus is good and the chorus hook is great. I like the Dave talky bit too.

It has to be said though there isn't a whole lot of music in it. If it continues with say a little middle bit and then a standard issue Eddie guitar solo then there may be a degree of 'meh' from the heavy metal Eddie widdle part of the audience. It's not miles away from the vibe of 'Don't Piss Me Off'.

Back in my/our day it used to be that rock bands would release quite a heavy single for their niche audience and then follow it up with the commercial one.

E.g the first single from Appetite for Destruction was 'It's So Easy', 'Yankee Rose' first then 'Goin Crazy' even Def Leppard with 'Women' and then 'Animal'.

Different days I guess.

Panamark
01-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Its 410k I think thats over the limit...
Hang on

Seshmeister
01-09-2012, 08:26 AM
I dunno what gives ? IP addresses ?

I hope they don't fuck things up internationally with a gap. You sometimes get into the situation where you can easily illegally download something but there is no way to get it legally without waiting.

Panamark
01-09-2012, 08:31 AM
No Dice guys, file is legal, about 60 secs, but it exceeds upload size here.
Anywhere elses I can park it without having to sign up for crap ?

I can email it to someone ? Have to crash in about 30 mins

(Just sending preview *NOT* illegal shit, just for Sesh ;)

Panamark
01-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Actually, I dont want to fuck up our new friendship with DDE.
Sorry guys, not long to wait, its really worth it !
Fuck , I havent had that feeling since the 80's listening to a new song.

Dave's Bitch
01-09-2012, 08:37 AM
No Dice guys, file is legal, about 60 secs, but it exceeds upload size here.
Anywhere elses I can park it without having to sign up for crap ?

I can email it to someone ? Have to crash in about 30 mins

(Just sending preview *NOT* illegal shit, just for Sesh ;)

Can i get a bit of that?

Fucking chrome will not let me get itunes.Bah guess i gotta wait :(

vanhalenuk
01-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Guys you can buy the mp3 here - ignore the warning about not being in NZ and enjoy.

http://www.digirama.co.nz/albumdetails.aspx?MediaID=3109789

negative
01-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Guys you can buy the mp3 here - ignore the warning about not being in NZ and enjoy.

http://www.digirama.co.nz/albumdetai...ediaID=3109789

Got "Page not found"

EDIT: But found it by going through the front page of the site.

Panamark
01-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks VH-UK I can crash now :)

This album is gonna kick ass

vanhalenuk
01-09-2012, 09:06 AM
The post above is truncating the link - make sure you are hitting

"http://www.digirama.co.nz/albumdetails.aspx?MediaID=3109789"

K-tuna
01-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Listened to the longer preview.

Im gonna take the fire now, but im not digging it. It sounds boring and forced. I know I'll dig more of the album if "Shes's The Woman" type rockers are on there. I think it was a bad idea to lead with this song instead of STW.

Its like the A&R guy telling them to lead with "Fools" instead of " Take Your Whiskey...".

I'll give it chance though....

Let the vitriol commence.....

binnie
01-09-2012, 09:21 AM
I don't think you'll get flamed for expressing an opinion.

Can you elaborate on 'boring'?

K-tuna
01-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Just the whole slow thumping BG synths felt like it kinda dragged down the song . Its sorta like the bass beginning of "'devil" but if they had that bit running throughout the song.

Best way I can explain my feeling is like how I was hyped to hear "Me Wise Magic" because it was a different approach for Dave , but its still was a 'Halen rocker...but was a bit underwhelmed by " Can't get this stuff".

It could be i was just so impressed by the how cool "STW" sounded at Cafe Wha...its a high bar to meet ...:D

It might be a great song if I heard the whole, but I just think that for them to knock everyone speechless they should lead with their first single being as badass as possible.

So this is love
01-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Sometimes it takes more hearing to appreciate...anyways we will get 11 more songs shortly...Tattoo maybe inline with the like of DTNA and I`ll wait...After 28 years anything will do for me, I like She`s the woman.

Dave's Bitch
01-09-2012, 09:43 AM
I will give you this K-tuna,You got balls :)

Vinnie Velvet
01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
From the preview, the pace of the song is more akin to You're No Good (Down in Flames), etc.

Cool.

PanamaHat
01-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks a million to VH-UK for the link to the NZ site. I purchased it there with credit card and it worked just fine. Could not wait until tomorrow in the age of Internet when it was available for purchase legally (and all the regional restrictions are just nonsense).

The song is EXCELLENT! The 30-second preview clip was promising but this is a lot better. Takes the best parts of Down in Flames and then improves significantly. Great groove, strong/catchy chorus, best Eddie riffs in a long time, long solo, good lyrics, outstanding production all around. Let's see tomorrow how it looks with the video and all.

Hopefully this will bring the boys back to charts/radio/TV/YouTube/etc. for the general public too rather than just the core fans. Cannot wait for the full album and to see the guys in concert...

Tiki-Tom
01-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Listened to the longer preview.

Im gonna take the fire now, but im not digging it. It sounds boring and forced. I know I'll dig more of the album if "Shes's The Woman" type rockers are on there. I think it was a bad idea to lead with this song instead of STW.

Its like the A&R guy telling them to lead with "Fools" instead of " Take Your Whiskey...".

I'll give it chance though....

Let the vitriol commence.....

I hear what you're sayin' K-tuna. I'm not really diggin "Tattoo" myself.... As long as I get at least one tune on the disc that burns like "She's the Woman" though I'll be happy. With 12 more to listen to there's an excellent chance.

K-tuna
01-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Sometimes it takes more hearing to appreciate...anyways we will get 11 more songs shortly...Tattoo maybe inline with the like of DTNA and I`ll wait...After 28 years anything will do for me, I like She`s the woman.

Oh yeah... I'll give it another chance, if anything, just for the fact its NOT a cover of that horrible WHO song like some folks over at VHND were guessing. LOL

kwame k
01-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Not trying to be an apologist here but......

They may have felt the need to have a Jump type song as a single because that was their most successful single to date. Either pressure from themselves or from the record company.

Regrettably, the casual fan or music listening population, probably knows Jump better than anything else the band has done:(

vanhalenuk
01-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Song is still available from the NZ site selling it earlier - also number 1 in their download chart!

Boring is the last word i'd use to describe it...