PDA

View Full Version : "House of Pain" Drum Cover, 16 year old

Droomer5150
01-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Hello to all of the Rotharmy!, don't get angry by the inclusion of "16 year old" into the title, I am merely just stating that not all young people listen to crap music as everyone so often says :D

I didn't quite know where to post this thread but the info of this discussion thread said "where classic van halen is celebrated" and I am celebrating Van Halens music so I guess it's in the right place!

Well here's my cover of "House of Pain" I hope you enjoy it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIuyCCz55ug

If you've got a youtube account feel free to post some feedback or like the video as it helps me gets me higher on the list and therefore more exposure. Thanks for your help! I'll be doing alot more Van Halen covers after I've finished my bands (Smooth Intentions) original!

And I just like to note after listening to Tattoo 30 times or so, I still get goosebumps everytime the solo section breaks in and Ed commences the shredding! It's amazing to see a healthy Eddie and Van Halen in the limelight once again!

ThatArtGuy
01-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Great job, man! Awesome work.

BITEYOASS
01-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Nice! You need to start a band ASAP!

Droomer5150
01-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback! And I'm in a band, the link's in the info of the video :D

VAiN
01-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Wow!! Great job! That just sounds great the whole way around. Props to your brother on guitar there too!

SunisinuS
01-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Nice to have you aboard man.

Question: How would you compare Alex and Neil?

And follow up: Which song of either is the most fun to play?

Thanks!

A Fan.

Droomer5150
01-13-2012, 01:27 AM
Hmmm I don't think I could really compare the two as the styles are somewhat different but I think I'd say Neil is more machine like with more complexity with his beat structures and organising whereas Alex is more groove orientated with a natural feel but still as tight and complex as Neil.

I enjoy playing Van Halen more as they're my all-time favourite band and I can play the groove much tighter as I have a really imprinted knowledge of his style; due to overplaying Van Halen since I discovered them 3 years ago or so! hahaha.
Rush is also fun to play but if you don't know the song entirely, you're pretty much screwed haha, same with bands like Dream Theater because of the constant tempo and time signature changes.

I think Alex beats Neil in grooving easily, but Neil beats Alex in prog beats. Both can play the living crap out of a drumset in solos and play with blistering speed like there's no tomorow! but I'd have to say I prefer Alex's drumming as he has a much more distinctive sound and style :D.

They can both can play as good and as tight as the other in my opinion! They are uncomparable! :D

TJMKID
01-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Hello to all of the Rotharmy!, don't get angry by the inclusion of "16 year old" into the title, I am merely just stating that not all young people listen to crap music as everyone so often says :D

I didn't quite know where to post this thread but the info of this discussion thread said "where classic van halen is celebrated" and I am celebrating Van Halens music so I guess it's in the right place!

If you've got a youtube account feel free to post some feedback or like the video as it helps me gets me higher on the list and therefore more exposure. Thanks for your help! I'll be doing alot more Van Halen covers after I've finished my bands (Smooth Intentions) original!

And I just like to note after listening to Tattoo 30 times or so, I still get goosebumps everytime the solo section breaks in and Ed commences the shredding! It's amazing to see a healthy Eddie and Van Halen in the limelight once again!

Suddenly ----- I have hope in the youth of today ---- thought you were all eaten up by Lady Gaga's vagina lips!

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4194/warf1.jpg

fryingdutchman
01-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Dude...you kicked ass. And so did your brother!

Hmmmm....a teenage brother combo on drums and lead guitar.

Seems to me that's a recipe for good things!! (But just pick ONE singer and stick with him...):thumb:

I hope we hear a lot more from you.

Coyote
01-13-2012, 06:50 AM

Awesome drum sound... What mic's did you use on the kickdrums and how were they positioned?

Droomer5150
01-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! Really appreciate it
I used 2 Shure pg52 microphones positioned the same in each kick drum, middle of the drum but placed lower pointing up at the beater. They are also placed a bit closer to the resonant head than the batter (to stop the vibrations from each head cancelling each other out if it was to be directly center)

Going to be doing a lot more "Classic" Van Halen songs soon, just have to finish my bands original then I will get to recording them :). Stay tuned.

In the meantime. Febuary 7th!!!! wait I just realised, it's Febuary 3rd for Australia!!!!! Suck me sideways hahaha