PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen vs Black Sabbath

golitely
01-14-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm curious..which "reunion" tour is getting more media hype in the US: VH or BS? Here they are creaming their jeans over Ozzie et al and virtually no mention of VH. I was thrilled when I finally heard Tattoo on the radio on Friday and then the DJ called them a band from Santa Barbara. How much does the Ozzie reality TV star play into the mix?

BITEYOASS
01-14-2012, 12:52 PM
I guess you never heard of the infamous tour in which Van Halen opened for Black Sabbath. It's the tour in which they blew Black Sabbath off the stage, then on the next tour they were headlining act and Sabbath had broken up. Luckily Black Sabbath got there shit together and reunited. Of course I don't think its fair to compare the two since Eddie and Alex are huge Black Sabbath fans. But if your further interested here are a couple of clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FsFazD-wBc
Black Sabbath was also at the peak of their drug use during this tour.

Now here is =VH= during the same tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61T0GOojqW8

http://phobos.express.ge/ZoneF/17/performer//Black%20Sabbath/.photo/Black%20Sabbath%20and%20Van%20Halen.jpg

http://spe.fotolog.com/photo/46/35/66/guitarras__rock/1262306499782_f.jpg

BTW, you also have read about the infamous Krell war that Diamond Dave had with Ozzy. And by Krell, I mean cocaine. It's in the book "Crazy From The Heat," Dave's autobiography.

clarathecarrot
01-14-2012, 01:00 PM
The Sabbath, Ozzy, Ozz Fest, Dio, Heaven and Hell, Metal of the Sabbath lineage, - connection is maybe the largest single group.."together" fans in the world ..IMOP.

Ozzy is from Europe/ Most members of this connection are also....and I think the "6 degrees of separation", Ozzy Connection has alot more tours that touched down in overseas markets than Van Halen.

Pretty normal that would recieve more press.

SNIPER
01-14-2012, 01:06 PM
I think what helped push this VH release to get out sooner was the threat of BS coming out and taking some of the hype that VH wanted to be front and center on.

lesfunk
01-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Right now VH is getting more media hype since the new single just dropped , Tour tix are now on sale and the New Album is imminent . Sabbath will be huge also assuming Tony Iommi can beat his scary health issues and the album gets finished

clarathecarrot
01-14-2012, 01:07 PM
BYA.. (little tear).. I saw that tour 2x in Kansas City, summer of 78'.. thanks for that...great post.

lesfunk
01-14-2012, 01:08 PM
I think what helped push this VH release to get out sooner was the threat of the BS coming out and taking some of the hype that VH wanted to be front and center on.

seriously doubt that. . VH get the album out sooner? They got back with Dave 5 years ago for Christ's sake. The album is out later not sooner.
I doubt VH or BS are in any competition with each other

SNIPER
01-14-2012, 01:22 PM
I know but they could have been planning it for a few months from now at the very least. Just saying.

SNIPER
01-14-2012, 01:26 PM
It was just a thought I had. When I heard about the BS reunion a few months back the first thing that came to my mind was OH SHIT. VH needs to release this asap if they want this to be their year. Just my opinion thats all.

binnie
01-14-2012, 01:59 PM
I'd say that in the UK Sabbath is getting more attention.

Headly1984
01-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Black Sab. was a product of their generation

If original BS was released today I don't think it would go over as well as it had - radio station guy over here said VH 'tests' as well with 18-35 y/o as well today as back when it was released

Ozzy is Ozzy - people are in awe he 'survived' and are amused by his longevity in his diminished capacity persona or state - depending on if it is real or staged when he was mumbling 'sharon!'....

VH - revolutionized Rock music - T.I. may have been a good and guitar player, but Ed invented a style and is head and shoulders above the fray , Intruder v. ? by BS .... nothing close - stage persona, Ozzy v. Dave - Dave ..next question lol!!!

not only that the Vibe by VH is FUN - BS is not associated w/fun - good classic rock but macabre more so than fun

the 1st record,Sabbath Bloody Sabbath & Volume 4 - is Kick Azz - but limited in who it appeals to & they ran their course and faded away with a bunch of mediocre or worse releases too

If the media is going gagga for them over there that is 180 from here - there is no mention of BS outside of the Lymphoma story - w/o that I wouldn't know they were recording ..

Terry
01-14-2012, 05:58 PM
The thing with Black Sabbath...in America, at least, it's safe to say that Van Halen appeals to a wider demographic of music fans. Am not making that statement to create any distinctions of which band is "better" than the other. Van Halen just has more pop (thus, popular) appeal. The wider demographic may well be linker to a wider range of exhibited diversity within Van Halen's music vs. Black Sabbath's. Is this to say Black Sabbath weren't capable of such diversification? Nope. However, I think Sabbath's audience would have been far less forgiving than Van Halen's when it came to synth-heavy music, or signficant deviation from their signature sound.
All that being said, I'm sure Sabbath w/ Ozzy won't have any problems selling tickets once they start touring.

golitely
01-15-2012, 04:56 AM
That was what I was wondering, is BA getting the same type of coverage as VH in the USA (I would have thought VH would get more, but that could just be my own bias), but w/o question BS is bigger, or at least attracts more rock media attention, here, tho funny apart from some of Ozzy's more popish 80s and 90s tunes I never hear them played on the radio except for "this week in rock history" kind of stuff.

Angel
01-15-2012, 09:21 AM
I guess you never heard of the infamous tour in which Van Halen opened for Black Sabbath. It's the tour in which they blew Black Sabbath off the stage...and of course, this is why we have seen so many horrible and/or mediocre opening acts...

BITEYOASS
01-15-2012, 09:53 AM
That was what I was wondering, is BA getting the same type of coverage as VH in the USA (I would have thought VH would get more, but that could just be my own bias), but w/o question BS is bigger, or at least attracts more rock media attention, here, tho funny apart from some of Ozzy's more popish 80s and 90s tunes I never hear them played on the radio except for "this week in rock history" kind of stuff.

Yeah, I'd say their getting the same coverage. Which is not enough coverage! We're being drowned out by all these brainless bimbo pop acts that should be in front of a dick instead of a mic. I'm sure it's the same situation over in europe.

BITEYOASS
01-15-2012, 10:02 AM
You wanna know what's getting coverage? This plastic barbie doll that suposedly sings! Who the fuck needs ludes or tranquilizers when you have songs like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1OV5B_JDw

BITEYOASS
01-15-2012, 12:20 PM
In general metal/hard rock bands don't receive enough publicity in the entertainment media. Especially new bands.

binnie
01-15-2012, 12:22 PM
You wanna know what's getting coverage? This plastic barbie doll that suposedly sings! Who the fuck needs ludes or tranquilizers when you have songs like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1OV5B_JDw

I felt like I was losing brain cells as I watched that.....

Terry
01-15-2012, 02:08 PM

Sabbath got a lot of coverage here in the States when they did the press conference, but it was only for the day of the press conference and a couple of days after.
Van Halen has been sucking up all the media oxygen as of late, but this stands to reason since Van Halen have played a pre-tour gig, their new single has been leaked/released and tickets have gone on sale for tour dates, whereas Sabbath have as yet to do any of that stuff.
The only Sabbath coverage since their press conference has been the news about Tony's illness.

BITEYOASS
01-15-2012, 10:32 PM

You're not the only one. After this barbie's performance on SNL, I finally found my fantasy 3-some thanks to their wise tweets about this Lana Del Rey.

"Wow watching this 'singer' on SNL is like watching a 12 yearold in their bedroom when theyre pretending to sing and perform #signofourtimes" - Juliette Lewis

“Who…is…this wack-a-doodle chick performing on #SNL..? Whaaaa?” - Eliza Dushku

Famous women who hate popstar airheads really turn me on! :erection:

FORD
01-16-2012, 03:48 AM
seriously doubt that. . VH get the album out sooner? They got back with Dave 5 years ago for Christ's sake. The album is out later not sooner.
I doubt VH or BS are in any competition with each other

Well, not really, if you remember that Black Sabbath was together from 1997 - 2004, touring just about every year during that time, and were supposedly working on an album then, but it never materialized. So they're already running behind VH in that respect.

Though given Tony's situation, I wouldn't ask them to make a record their priority right now. Sure I want to hear it, but if Tony's dead, it wouldn't get made anyway, so might as well get him healthy first.

VHscraps
01-16-2012, 04:15 AM

She's on Interscope, maybe that's why Dave insisted ...

I saw her on TV here in the UK - that Jools Holland 'Later' show, which I do not typically watch. But I had it on in the background with the sound down, and then there's this ... sorta 'damaged-looking' woman all dressed in white. As someone said on here some weeks ago apropos of something else - she looks like the kind of woman who would burn your house down if you broke up with her.

I thought she was dressed in something like a airline stewardess outfit, and that her lipstick was smudged, or her eyeliner was all messed up, or something - THAT was my recollection.

But obviously it was all wrong!! 'Cos she's just sort of standing there wearing a white dress, demurely singing a song, seemingly, about video games, but which to me really conveys that 'I'll burn your house down if you mess with me boy' impression:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOP2Yd_jpYQ

Got to say, I am impressed!!

BITEYOASS
01-16-2012, 03:32 PM
She's on Interscope, maybe that's why Dave insisted ...

I saw her on TV here in the UK - that Jools Holland 'Later' show, which I do not typically watch. But I had it on in the background with the sound down, and then there's this ... sorta 'damaged-looking' woman all dressed in white. As someone said on here some weeks ago apropos of something else - she looks like the kind of woman who would burn your house down if you broke up with her.

I thought she was dressed in something like a airline stewardess outfit, and that her lipstick was smudged, or her eyeliner was all messed up, or something - THAT was my recollection.

But obviously it was all wrong!! 'Cos she's just sort of standing there wearing a white dress, demurely singing a song, seemingly, about video games, but which to me really conveys that 'I'll burn your house down if you mess with me boy' impression:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOP2Yd_jpYQ

Got to say, I am impressed!!

Maybe her boyfriend was playing video games because she's so god damn boring.

Golden AWe
01-20-2012, 04:38 AM
Not exactly the subject here, but is the basic riff of Romeo Delight the same as Symptom of the Universe riff on double speed? :)