PDA

View Full Version : VHND Video: Dave Explains "Tattoo" Lyrics

Va Beach VH Fan
01-20-2012, 01:20 PM
http://www.vhnd.com/2012/01/20/exclusive-video-david-lee-roth-explains-tattoo-lyrics/

Mr Walker
01-20-2012, 01:25 PM
"My song"... uh oh!

Northern Girl
01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Awesome!

Jetstream
01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Dave is fucking awesome, he would have been the best professor in college I never had lol

Northern Girl
01-20-2012, 01:32 PM
I love the way this is shot with the cityscape in the back.

fourthcoming
01-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Dave is fucking awesome, he would have been the best professor in college I never had lol

Couldn't agree more.....that dude knows how to capture an audience...whether its 50 people in a classroom setting or 20,000 at Madison Square garden. That dude has a gift.

kwame k
01-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Damn....the hits keep coming!

Awesome explanation.....Dave can sure write some decent lyrics and paint a picture using words.

Northern Girl
01-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Dave can sure write some decent lyrics and paint a picture using words.

And he has a story or a reason behind all of them. Wouldn't you love to just sit a have a beer or 12 with him and listen to his stories?

kwame k
01-20-2012, 01:39 PM
And he has a story or a reason behind all of them. Wouldn't you love to just sit a have a beer or 12 with him and listen to his stories?

Hell yes!

Not only would it be extremely entertaining but informative and educational as well!

Romeo Delight
01-20-2012, 01:50 PM
I dunno, part of me doesn't want to know. I like Dave's lyrics because we all take from them what applies to us in our lives. Sometimes, not knowing what the hell he is singing about is better and leaves much to the imagination. That grey area is what kept this site going these many years, lol

Va Beach VH Fan
01-20-2012, 02:01 PM
I agree, I still want to hear some more "Owwwww", "Dig it Ya'll" and "Oooh Baby" in there.....

;)

Romeo Delight
01-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Funny. Case in point...it seems Pojo has some experience/affinity with "Swampmeat Sally" versus 'Swap Meet Sally"

Some things are just better left to the imagination...

Still, this is all so very cool

guwapo_rocker
01-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Brilliant!! Song by song? Looks like they might have taped one for each song. Sure hope so.

VAiN
01-20-2012, 02:13 PM
What a fantastic video! There's only 1 Diamond Dave... this is so good!!!

'Song by song' makes me think he's going to roll through the album with us. Stellar, Dave!!!

Jetstream
01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm glad Dave is doing this for the mere fact that 90% of the masses are complete idiots and I have had enough of all the morons going on about the lyrics are stupid and do not make sense on some of the sites concerning Van Halen (mostly some of Hagar's sheep that got loose from the pen). The lyrics are intelligent, entertaining and witty...something those people are lacking. And when Dave does something like this, it is like a giant locomotive running them down with shut the F#CK up written on the cowcatcher (or rather sheep catcher) in front of that steam engine.

DavidLeeNatra
01-20-2012, 02:22 PM
when was the last time we've seen Dave that mature and quiet...I like it...don't need the all time hyperactivity...

Vinnie Velvet
01-20-2012, 02:25 PM
EPIC.

That is all.

SunisinuS
01-20-2012, 02:26 PM
http://www.vhnd.com/2012/01/20/exclusive-video-david-lee-roth-explains-tattoo-lyrics/

This is so fucking kewl. Wow. All the idiot haters (even heard a DJ say the lyrics were idiotic) fuck you!

DLR'sCock
01-20-2012, 02:34 PM
This is so fantastic, and I gather that this and everything else we have seen will all be apart of the documentary they are filming that Dave mentioned in the intro to the You Really Got Me acoustic clip. This is the Dave I wish he would show the world more often........

Va Beach VH Fan
01-20-2012, 02:37 PM
This is so fucking kewl. Wow. All the idiot haters (even heard a DJ say the lyrics were idiotic) fuck you!

Then I would respond to that saying the DJ in question has never seen the lyrics of one Samuel Roy Hagar.....

guwapo_rocker
01-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Then I would respond to that saying the DJ in question has never seen the lyrics of one Samuel Roy Hagar.....

It's about BACON!!! MMMM slurp BACON!!!!!

lurker..
01-20-2012, 02:47 PM
I can see Sammy polishing off a few dozen deep fried bananas coated in peanut butter like 1976 Elvis used to pad his gut with....

chefcraig
01-20-2012, 03:28 PM
I dunno, part of me doesn't want to know. I like Dave's lyrics because we all take from them what applies to us in our lives. Sometimes, not knowing what the hell he is singing about is better and leaves much to the imagination. That grey area is what kept this site going these many years, lol

I agree. About the last thing I want is for an artist to explain "what it all means" with regard to a piece of work. It's why I usually skip over those dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks prefaces or afterword sections many writers begin or end their novels with. They run on and on like some damned award show acceptance speech, and make about as much sense. People you've never heard of are thanked repeatedly, and you wind up discovering the reason for the book's existence was because the author had a brief discussion with a plumber who happened to have had a nasty, blood-like stain on his work pants.

Full Bug
01-20-2012, 03:29 PM
That was awesome, nobody tells a story like Dave, all this new stuff the last few weeks is surreal....:thumb:

ZahZoo
01-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Is this jerky, time lapse video photography some popular creative thing?

I keep thinking my computer is having a performance issue...

Excellent insight into Dave's interpretation of his work and lyrical imagery!!

Northern Girl
01-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Keep 'em coming, Dave!

Love to see you anywhere, anyhow, anytime!

Zing!
01-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Outstanding. This must be what Dave is like at the end of the night when all of the coffee and Red Bull has worn off. Cool + mellow + insightful + introspective = one cool cat.

clarathecarrot
01-20-2012, 03:46 PM
I would rather see this than some incredibly overpaid Jeralda Re'vero twisting his moooostachio like Enrika Coorachio asking DLR or the other band members and then giving us his interviewer tademarked, hmmmm or yesss or the increbile,, ha ha ha, as he dreams of the idea that the camera loves me.

Ophra Special ..The Interviews...this week Van Halen....Why because you love her.

Sorry I ran out of my meds last night.

gbranton
01-20-2012, 04:06 PM
About the last thing I want is for an artist to explain "what it all means" with regard to a piece of work. It's why I usually skip over those dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks prefaces or afterword sections many writers begin or end their novels with.

I am usually quite the opposite. I'll read it beforehand and usually re-read it once I finish the book. Once I've experienced it I know what it means to me but I think it's interesting to see what it means to them. But I am also the guy who sits through the closing credits of every movie. I like to see what goes into making thing I enjoy.

chefcraig
01-20-2012, 04:34 PM
I am usually quite the opposite. I'll read it beforehand and usually re-read it once I finish the book. Once I've experienced it I know what it means to me but I think it's interesting to see what it means to them. But I am also the guy who sits through the closing credits of every movie. I like to see what goes into making thing I enjoy.

What really killed the experience for me was the overlong "chapters" Stephen King would tack onto his recent books. The damned things would be talky as hell, going on and on over details that really didn't add anything to the work at hand. This reached a nadir in the absurd From a Buick 8 story, where he blabbered for pages about not needing to explain why an event occurs, he'd simply let it happen and go forward. This failed to cover why the book didn't make any sense, or how come certain factors could not be explained by any sort of innate, logical reasoning. It was as if he was embarrassed by the novel, and felt a need to rationalize why it came out the way it did.

This is not the same as viewing the credits at the end of a movie or reading liner notes on an album. That is something you do for yourself, in order to add some insight or grasp a few production details. In other words, you are not being manipulated by the artist, who may have a certain prearranged agenda already in mind.

TJMKID
01-20-2012, 04:41 PM

I was thinking the same thing ---- how cool would it be to have Dave guest lecturing a music history class at NYU? Holy fuck --- Dave would have a whole new angle for banging hot co-eds!

This video also reinforces how retarded cumstains like Jim Florentine totally miss the boat ---- calling "Tattoo" a cheesy song with cheesy lyrics.

We have to embrace these kind of moments because they are quickly disappearing ---- I mean who is gonna watch Justin Beiber sit on a stool and explain one of his songs 40 yrs. from now?

Can you see Sambo trying to wax poetic about one of his songs? "Well....umm....uh....I like my wife's pussy....so I wrote "Poundcake" you see.....she's homegrown and down-home, now that's a woman.....I'm so damn smart!"

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5420/cabocunt.jpg

DavidLeeNatra
01-20-2012, 04:47 PM
in my best Ozzy impersonation: "I...I...I... me...me...mean...who the fuck is Justin Bieber...?"

diamondsgirl
01-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Dave is a natural born story teller. I could listen for hours. :thumb:

Sensible Shoes
01-20-2012, 04:59 PM
It's funny, that's what all the girls say - I could talk to Dave for hours - or just listen to HIM talk.

GreenEyedMurder
01-20-2012, 05:02 PM
It's funny, that's what all the girls say - I could talk to Dave for hours - or just listen to HIM talk.

Ha! Am I the only one who not only didn't mind, but actually enjoyed, his rambling on between songs a couple of times at Cafe Wha?

Sensible Shoes
01-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Course not! I love when he does that!

Bob_R
01-20-2012, 05:10 PM
That was cool.

I remember Springsteen did the similar thing years ago but at a college university or some sort of intimate setting in front of a couple of thousand people. He even went as far as to play guitar and piano while explaining the ideas and meanings behind some of his songs.

DavidLeeNatra
01-20-2012, 05:10 PM
don't know how often I watched some intro to ice cream man from the last tour...same story and he tells it every night as if it was the first time ever he told it...great storyteller he is...and it never got old...

Dan
01-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Nothing But Sweet As.:D

DavidLeeNatra
01-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Ray Luzier called it the "School of Roth"...

chi-town324
01-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Obviously alot of thought went into this album. Maybe thats why it took so long. But i believe it's gonna blow our socks off!!
There is only one David Lee Roth!!

POJO_Risin
01-20-2012, 05:30 PM

Fuck it...even when he says what they mean...does he really mean what he says?

gbranton
01-20-2012, 05:30 PM
What really killed the experience for me was the overlong "chapters" Stephen King would tack onto his recent books.

I used to love King, but he lost me at The Dark Tower.

SparkieD
01-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I wish every person who went into a tattoo studio was forced to listen to this, especially the part about how it does and should hurt. I guarantee you there would be far less shitty ink. Dave's brilliant, as always.

gbranton
01-20-2012, 05:32 PM

And if so, would it be poetry in ink?

TAKIN WHISKEY
01-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Unfuckingbelievable!!! This song IS a very good tune and ya know what? It just got better. It has a little more meaning. Listening to Dave is always an incredible experience, but through the years it has sounded like he is speaking to a much larger audience. That clip felt like a personal sit down with a legend. Yep, the song got a little better because I can feel it just a little more. Van Halen is making up for lost time and boy does it feel good.

POJO_Risin
01-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Roth is getting to that age...I think...where this part of what he does is Paramount...combine that with the fact that he did it anyways...and likely the fact that he's been bottled up over the past five years, and you have a guy that is likely dying to tell his story...

He could talk for an hour about why his farts smell like avacados, and it would be interesting...and as always...you take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt...because he's a stream of consciousness kinda talker...which is why I don't miss a thing...

cuz it's likely the last time you are going to hear it....

...fucking swampmeat Sally...

Romeo Delight
01-20-2012, 05:52 PM

Kind of like most of my posts

So this is love
01-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Well It is happy hour....Not gonna hurt though...I like the interview and all and I have a Question does DLR has Tattoos?

So this is love
01-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Roth is getting to that age...I think...where this part of what he does is Paramount...combine that with the fact that he did it anyways...and likely the fact that he's been bottled up over the past five years, and you have a guy that is likely dying to tell his story...

He could talk for an hour about why his farts smell like avacados, and it would be interesting...and as always...you take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt...because he's a stream of consciousness kinda talker...which is why I don't miss a thing...

cuz it's likely the last time you are going to hear it....

You pick my curiousity do you mean the last time we see Dave with VH or any of it at all?

Unchainme
01-20-2012, 05:58 PM
I think if a movie was done, you'd have it set from like 1977 to write as "Hot For Teacher" was coming out and do a composite of how Van Halen was fucking ruling the planet at the time.

play up the "Band mates as brothers angle" to the nth degree, and ignore the split angle to please the brothers and get their blessings.

vandeleur
01-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Did anybody else get that when they were watching that it was just them and dave talking ...thats a skill....

chefcraig
01-20-2012, 06:07 PM

And he still hasn't finished it, as yet another book is coming soon. Pissed me off even more when the sequel to The Talisman (Black House, both written with Peter Straub) wound up being an advertisement for The Dark Tower. I will say this, the current book about time travel (11/22/63) is the best thing he's come up with since 2008's Duma Key, itself his finest work since he wrote Insomnia some 14 years earlier.

POJO_Risin
01-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Well It is happy hour....Not gonna hurt though...I like the interview and all and I have a Question does DLR has Tattoos?

Well...in the vid he said he had an Elvis tattoo right above his ankle...to start with...

GreenEyedMurder
01-20-2012, 06:09 PM

He said he has a small Elvis tat on the back of his ankle, where the foot meets the leg.

POJO_Risin
01-20-2012, 06:10 PM
You pick my curiousity do you mean the last time we see Dave with VH or any of it at all?

Nothing like that...it's just that Dave isn't known to repeat himself much outside of the concert hall...his stories are these streams that strike him on the spot...you get the distinct impression that they go wherever his mind takes him...which depends a lot on where the hell he is...and what the hell he's on...;)

So this is love
01-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Did anybody else get that when they were watching that it was just them and dave talking ...thats a skill....

Well to me I was listening to Dave like you listen to someone who's seriously ill, you know the kind of attention like its the last time...

So this is love
01-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Nothing like that...it's just that Dave isn't known to repeat himself much outside of the concert hall...his stories are these streams that strike him on the spot...you get the distinct impression that they go wherever his mind takes him...which depends a lot on where the hell he is...and what the hell he's on...;)

Thanks for your answer...During YRGM I don't know what the hell he is on but it is certainly good stuff...

POJO_Risin
01-20-2012, 06:15 PM
And he still hasn't finished it, as yet another book is coming soon. Pissed me off even more when the sequel to The Talisman (Black House, both written with Peter Straub) wound up being an advertisement for The Dark Tower. I will say this, the current book about time travel (11/22/63) is the best thing he's come up with since 2008's Duma Key, itself his finest work since he wrote Insomnia some 14 years earlier.

Loved Duma Key...couldn't put it down...can't wait to read 11/22/63...

hated the Black House...but liked his work post Insomnia...perhaps not as much as some of his other stuff...but liked it just the same...

Not as memorable as much of his other stuff...but memorable nonetheless...

I absolutely love the Dark Tower series...an am okay with this new book coming out...it's set in the middle of the tale, if I remember correctly...and can't wait to get my fucking hands on it...

chefcraig
01-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Loved Duma Key...couldn't put it down...can't wait to read 11/22/63...

11/22/63 is absolutely mind-blowing. No spoilers from me (Why do people always have to do that?) other than to say it's another book that is damned near impossible to put down. It grabs you from the very first page and doesn't let go.

TAKIN WHISKEY
01-20-2012, 06:22 PM
11/22/63 is absolutely mind-blowing. No spoilers from me (Why do people always have to do that?) other than to say it's another book that is damned near impossible to put down. It grabs you from the very first page and doesn't let go.

Cool, it's been awhile since I read a Stephen King book. I will be purchasing that book in the very near future. Thanks for the heads up.

gbranton
01-20-2012, 06:22 PM

Insomnia was the last one I read, before that was Needful Things and The Tommyknockers. Up to that point I read everything he wrote. Nowdays I am much more into non-fiction.

JJtheVagPounder
01-20-2012, 06:24 PM
It's so funny to me that all of the people that hate Dave and his ego, that hate his rockstar persona or the outrageous antics they've only heard about, have never stopped to listen to Dave. Or read his book. Fuck, even read an interview with him. These people sit and very much judge a book by its cover. Because rockstars can't be philosophical. Rockstars can't be beyond banging groupies or doing mounds of blow. Rockstars get vilified, and a lot of them should be on account of their arrogant and entitled aroma of douchois, but then here comes David Lee Roth, the pinnacle of frontmen, who will regale you with eloquent stories of his time in the jungle or his job as an EMT and your mind would be thoroughly blown......

....if you'd only listen.

Fairwrning
01-20-2012, 06:24 PM
I feel smarter just watching that....awesome explanation..dude is a mad genius..

Sammy wrote a song about colors too...Red..Red I want Red..Red..Red..Red..Red..Red..Red..Red..buwwhhahha a!!

POJO_Risin
01-20-2012, 06:27 PM

a friend of mine told me it was his favorite King book alltime...which I have a hard time buying...

chefcraig
01-20-2012, 06:40 PM
a friend of mine told me it was his favorite King book alltime...which I have a hard time buying...

It is different, at least for a King book. For instance, while there are some horrific moments, the story isn't a horror tale. And the elements of time travel (not giving anything away here, as the cover itself shows two different newspaper front pages, one announcing Kennedy's assassination, the other indicating he'd survived), while being quite complex and confusing, doesn't really drive the plot as much as you'd think. It has more to do with the atmosphere of the period, which is captured in some remarkably detailed prose.

TJMKID
01-20-2012, 06:51 PM
It's so funny to me that all of the people that hate Dave and his ego, that hate his rockstar persona or the outrageous antics they've only heard about, have never stopped to listen to Dave. Or read his book. Fuck, even read an interview with him. These people sit and very much judge a book by its cover. Because rockstars can't be philosophical. Rockstars can't be beyond banging groupies or doing mounds of blow. Rockstars get vilified, and a lot of them should be on account of their arrogant and entitled aroma of douchois, but then here comes David Lee Roth, the pinnacle of frontmen, who will regale you with eloquent stories of his time in the jungle or his job as an EMT and your mind would be thoroughly blown......

That explains why I have ZERO TOLERANCE for stupid fucksticks like Jim Florentine or Eddie Trunk or Sambo. If these ass clowns cant take 5 min. out of their worthless day to read some lyrics and see the deeper meanings ---- then go find a different career than wasting our time talking about music or attempting to create art. Fucking clueless shitbirds.

Dave could sit on a stool and talk for one hour about his colorful life in NYC and it would totally eclipse anything Pussy Nugget Hagar has done in the last two decades.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5420/cabocunt.jpg

Hardrock69
01-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Man, this demonstrates to the extreme the intellect behind the dime-store Rock Philospher persona that Dave has.....Spamulus The Unintelligent could never DREAM of writing lyrics that good.

That was such a great video. I am speechless....:thumb:

fourthcoming
01-20-2012, 07:04 PM

He lost me with "Insomnia".....damn that book was tough to finish. If the book was meant to cure Insomnia then it was brilliant. Dr Dave on the other hand....that dude always brings it.

fifth element
01-20-2012, 07:12 PM
love it.....:)

neuralfraud
01-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Why the fuck are they using VIMEO? Are they too COOL to use youtube? a service which has gigabits of bandwidth dedicated for its millions of users?? No. They decided to use vimeo, a "hipster" alternative which obviously can't handle a moderate load. What a joke.

I would sincerely like to be able to watch this video.. I just... cant.

I took 10 minutes typing this message - couldn't really articulate my disgust.. the video paused in the background. I was waiting for it to preload. Typically in under a minute the rest of the video should be finished loading - evidenced by the progress/position bar having a solid gray background.

So how far did I get in 10 + minutes? I got an extra 45 seconds of video preloaded. Hot fucking damn!

/sitting on a 40mbps broadband, no problems here.

neuralfraud
01-20-2012, 07:43 PM
and 45 seconds later the video is stopped! GOD DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!

ELVIS
01-20-2012, 08:03 PM
http://www.vhnd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DLR_Hand-Written_Tattoo_Lyrics.jpg

:elvis:

Seshmeister
01-20-2012, 08:14 PM

Hah if I ever meet him I'm gonna tell him he should have went with my line... :)

JJtheVagPounder
01-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Why the fuck are they using VIMEO? Are they too COOL to use youtube? a service which has gigabits of bandwidth dedicated for its millions of users?? No. They decided to use vimeo, a "hipster" alternative which obviously can't handle a moderate load. What a joke.

I took 10 minutes typing this message - couldn't really articulate my disgust.. the video paused in the background. I was waiting for it to preload. Typically in under a minute the rest of the video should be finished loading - evidenced by the progress/position bar having a solid gray background.

So how far did I get in 10 + minutes? I got an extra 45 seconds of video preloaded. Hot fucking damn!

You know, I really want to be a nice guy about all of this. Buuuuuuut....

Really? The rest of us are hanging in there just fine and appreciating that IF we have to wait (which I did not) so fucking what? We are getting literally TONS of new info/videos/music and you want to bitch about the service they use? That's like saying, "Man, I'm totally going to bang [insert supermodel/actress/hot-ass-chick-in-general here] but she doesn't lick the taint. I'm out." Don't like it? Get a better service yourself. Maybe there's a little bit of traffic because it's just that awesome. To me I'd be grateful, but hey, some people can't be pleased.

And Elvis, oh Elvis. What in the blazing blue fuck is your problem? All I ever hear you doing is bitching and complaining and blah blah blah. Why are you even here? Is it just to piss people off? Is it to show that you are edgy and don't run with the pack? Well guess what? This forum is for those that run with the pack. The Dave pack. If all you want to do is use your internet anonymity to ruffle feathers and piss in everyone's Cheerios, then I'm sure there are plenty of video game/sports/porn/other music forums you can go to and do that. But why do you have to rain on my parade? Why? You being here is like banging your sister: it seems cool at first, but then you realize you are banging your sister. Come on.

ashstralia
01-20-2012, 08:33 PM
barney and i were sittin out on the back porch this morn, i said something like 'in 100 years, DLR will be right up there with the great philosophers...'

barney said 'aristotle lee roth'.

nuff said. :)

JJ, i appear to be out of thanks; great post mate. :thumbs up:

So this is love
01-20-2012, 08:33 PM

Really? The rest of us are hanging in there just fine and appreciating that IF we have to wait (which I did not) so fucking what? We are getting literally TONS of new info/videos/music and you want to bitch about the service they use? That's like saying, "Man, I'm totally going to bang [insert supermodel/actress/hot-ass-chick-in-general here] but she doesn't lick the taint. I'm out." Don't like it? Get a better service yourself. Maybe there's a little bit of traffic because it's just that awesome. To me I'd be grateful, but hey, some people can't be pleased.

And Elvis, oh Elvis. What in the blazing blue fuck is your problem? All I ever hear you doing is bitching and complaining and blah blah blah. Why are you even here? Is it just to piss people off? Is it to show that you are edgy and don't run with the pack? Well guess what? This forum is for those that run with the pack. The Dave pack. If all you want to do is use your internet anonymity to ruffle feathers and piss in everyone's Cheerios, then I'm sure there are plenty of video game/sports/porn/other music forums you can go to and do that. But why do you have to rain on my parade? Why? You being here is like banging your sister: it seems cool at first, but then you realize you are banging your sister. Come on.

I'm sorry. I had a really bad day.

Maybe ELVIS is Sammy Hagar

JJtheVagPounder
01-20-2012, 08:35 PM
No. They decided to use vimeo, a "hipster" alternative which obviously can't handle a moderate load. What a joke.

Ya mutha can handle a moderate load.....I'm sorry. I had to. I'm sure your mom's a saint.

ELVIS
01-20-2012, 08:41 PM
? This forum is for those that run with the pack. The Dave pack.

That's complete bullshit! In fact, your entire post is complete BULLSHIT...

So you can go fuck yourself and you can tell your mommy I said so...

Bitch!

JJtheVagPounder
01-20-2012, 08:43 PM
That's complete bullshit! In fact, your entire post is complete BULLSHIT...

So you can go fuck yourself and you can tell your mommy I said so...

Bitch!

Honestly, I expected more out of you. You should be ashamed.

ELVIS
01-20-2012, 08:43 PM

And maybe you're another Dave took a shit and I ate it and liked it stupid mother fucker...

gbranton
01-20-2012, 08:46 PM

Can't be, he manages to post without comparing food to pussy.

redblkwht
01-20-2012, 08:49 PM
No Full moon tonight fellas, should be celebrating a tour & new CD incoming..have a beer on me!

ELVIS
01-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Honestly, I expected more out of you. You should be ashamed.

I'm trying to be cool...

And I love tattoo and I can't wait for the new album...

But that acoustic YRGM sucks!

So this is love
01-20-2012, 08:53 PM
And maybe you're another Dave took a shit and I ate it and liked it stupid mother fucker...

You're an idiot...If you're not Sammy Hagar than who??? The Asian guy at the Cafe Wha???? You're an angry piece of shit You should get laid sometimes...Oh sorry its your bedtime...go to bed kid,

JJtheVagPounder
01-20-2012, 08:54 PM
I know you aren't dumb but I feel I should point out this thread isn't even about that song.

ELVIS
01-20-2012, 08:55 PM
I was responding to Panamark...

JJtheVagPounder
01-20-2012, 08:56 PM
I was responding to Panamark...

With my quote?

fourthcoming
01-20-2012, 09:00 PM
barney and i were sittin out on the back porch this morn, i said something like 'in 100 years, dlr will be right up there with the great philosophers...'

barney said 'aristotle lee roth'.

Nuff said. :)

jj, i appear to be out of thanks; great post mate. :thumbs up:

Rothcrates

neuralfraud
01-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Yea. Really. cmon man you wouldn't be pissed if you couldn't watch a new hot DLR vid that everyone was talking about because the video wouldn't goddamn load because their tiny capacity was maxed?

Man look i aint trying to be a negative prick and TBH i figured i'd have a 50/50 chance of not being the only guy experiencing issues with vimeo.

In respect of the spirit of the army, i'll keep my ramblings to separate threads so as not to steer off topic..which is what i should have done in the first place.

peace

Zing!
01-20-2012, 09:08 PM

Other than the fact that King preposterously subscribes to the long gunman theory. How someone so intelligent can be so obtusely narrow-minded is beyond me, but he writes a hell of a story.

dazzlindino
01-20-2012, 09:10 PM
That Dave video is all Dat and Mo'...hell ya....oh heeeelll ya.....man would be cool if Dave would do something like that starting with the early days!

JJtheVagPounder
01-20-2012, 09:13 PM
I feel this is more Interscope saying "Hey, we are going to do new and crazy things to make people aware that Van Fucking Halen is back so when the record drops BOOM! Big sales!" that it is solely Dave. But then again, maybe it's this kind of forward thinking that made Dave really push for Interscope.

ELVIS
01-20-2012, 09:14 PM
With my quote?

No, my mistake...

But dude, I didn't say anything negative in this thread so why dog me out ??

ELVIS
01-20-2012, 09:16 PM
I feel this is more Interscope saying "Hey, we are going to do new and crazy things to make people aware that Van Fucking Halen is back so when the record drops BOOM! Big sales!" that it is solely Dave. But then again, maybe it's this kind of forward thinking that made Dave really push for Interscope.

Maybe Dave has more control that most of us currenty think...

JJtheVagPounder
01-20-2012, 09:20 PM
http://www.vhnd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DLR_Hand-Written_Tattoo_Lyrics.jpg

I was referring to this quote (and many other like it). In this case, did I read out of context? Do I owe you an apology?

ELVIS
01-20-2012, 09:22 PM
No, I have thick skin...:biggrin:

DONNIEP
01-20-2012, 10:14 PM

That's what I'm hoping for. It couldn't be anything but a good thing if Dave's back in his old role as captain of the VH ship. Hell, I wanna see him kick this thing into overdrive and set the world on fire! Even if he has to drag Eddie kicking and screaming all the way :gulp:

Momshell
01-20-2012, 10:17 PM
I loved this - can't stop watching it - reminded me of Dave's radio show. Aside from being creative, original, and brilliant, he's got to have one of the sexiest voices ever! I could listen to him recite the alphabet for hours!!

DONNIEP
01-20-2012, 10:22 PM

WTF????? You mean Dave took a shit and I missed it????? :)

don don
01-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Interesting to hear the personal and philosophical aspect to the lyrics. Can't wait to hear it live! See you guys in Louisville!

GreenEyedMurder
01-21-2012, 12:10 AM

Vimeo allows users to embed a video on a specific page while preventing it from being embedded elsewhere. That means that DDE/VH can give any site(s) an exclusive. YouTube can't do that, as I found out when I came home from Cafe Wha? and wanted to share some videos only here.

mohican
01-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Vimeo allows users to embed a video on a specific page while preventing it from being embedded elsewhere. That means that DDE/VH can give any site(s) an exclusive. YouTube can't do that, as I found out when I came home from Cafe Wha? and wanted to share some videos only here.

Someone just posted this video on YouTube. I think it's the same person who took the Roth Army exclusive videos. As for Vimeo, I gave up watching on vhnd. Maybe my wifi was slow today but it paused every few seconds and the audio and video didn't sync.

DavidLeeNatra
01-21-2012, 02:08 AM
I feel smarter just watching that....awesome explanation..dude is a mad genius..

Sammy wrote a song about colors too...Red..Red I want Red..Red..Red..Red..Red..Red..Red..Red..buwwhhahha a!!

Come on Come on!
Gimme Red!Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red.
Red!Red! Paint it red, green ain't mean compared to red.
You don't know what it does to me,
My crimson sin intensity
I'm haunted by the mystery,
The mystery of red.
Red knocks 'em dead,
Some like it hot, I like it red.

:puke:

DlocRoth
01-21-2012, 04:38 AM

I'm your huckleberry...

Panamark
01-21-2012, 06:39 AM
That was great ! Dave looks way deep for art and creativity. Love it !

KSTONER
01-21-2012, 06:45 AM
That was great!
Definitely felt intimate but "big" at the same time. Hard to explain...that's why Dave is the man!

steve
01-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Rothcrates

Haha! LOVE it.

But in all seriousness, it's best not to confuse fun, clever, and thoughtful storytelling (which describes both this video and the song Tattoo to a "t" (and DLR in general)) with philosophy.

This song is a series of vignettes for different reasons why folks get tattoos and the lyrics and music paint vivid pictures in an honest and heartfelt way from DLR/VH. And here Roth expands and gets at some of the symbolism he sees in the pictures he helps paint in the song. It's brilliant in that regard, but I don't think it's philosophy.

Frankly, I'm not sure philosophy belongs in song...at least song in an enjoyable rhythmic/melodic method that we as human beings can relate to like we traditionally have to music. Philosophy requires too rigid a structure to "flow" well with music. Or it needs dialogue from 2 or more points of view coming to conclusions. Examples that come to mind are many Zappa songs or even some Rush tunes (no talk of ayn rand please, just giving it as an example of the direction that band aims). While admirable in their scope, the music is often jarring and mismatched. Some would argue that there is great value in jarring the listener and that it's part of the meaning of the song...I don't know.

The term "Stream of Consciousness" was brought up in a previous post to describe DLR (among many folks that have the inclination to tell stories in a meandering yet linear method) and I think it's an apt comparison to the way we perceive song structure. Perhaps what doesn't make sense sometimes in a categorical, logical way DOES make sense in a musical way (or with painting,etc).

Am I making any sense or just drifting?

ashstralia
01-21-2012, 07:36 AM

no, his posts are far too eloquent... but then if love walks in with an analprobe software update...

ELVIS
01-21-2012, 07:39 AM
I don't get it...

ashstralia
01-21-2012, 07:42 AM
most of us aren't surprised.

chefcraig
01-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Enough, you guys. ELVIS isn't the subject of every thread here, Dave Roth/VH is. If you feel a need to continue this nonsense, then start an "ELVIS SUCKS" thread somewhere and keep all of this baloney confined to it.

ELVIS
01-21-2012, 07:57 AM
What's worse that a Scott-no-Mates FIGJAM wanna-be musician named ash ??

Sammy Hagar, but that's about it...

ELVIS
01-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Enough, you guys. ELVIS isn't the subject of every thread here, Dave Roth/VH is.

There's a sig idea...

ELVIS
01-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Enough, you guys. ELVIS isn't the subject of every thread here, Dave Roth/VH is. If you feel a need to continue this nonsense, then start an "ELVIS SUCKS" thread somewhere and keep all of this baloney confined to it.

Dude, you're like the Rodney Dangerfield of super masterbators...

Maybe you should close all the threads...

:biggrin:

DavidLeeNatra
01-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Elvis...ban yourself...for the sake of this board!

chefcraig
01-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Dude, you're like the Rodney Dangerfield of super masterbators...

Maybe you should close all the threads...

It just gets old. Click on a thread about a video or song here in Main, and there are pages and pages of sidetracked garbage that have nothing to do with the subject matter at hand.

DavidLeeNatra
01-21-2012, 08:18 AM
It just gets old. Click on a thread about a video or song here in Main, and there are pages and pages of sidetracked garbage that have nothing to do with the subject matter at hand.

who are you? and what did you do to the real chefcraig? hellooooooooooooooo? this is what we do since day one...now re-open the other thread, pussy...

chefcraig
01-21-2012, 08:20 AM
who are you? and what did you do to the real chefcraig? hellooooooooooooooo? this is what we do since day one...now re-open the other thread, pussy...

Fuck this. I'm taking a handful of aspirin, a swig of vodka and heading off to work. Let some other nitwit deal with this crap. :doh:

ELVIS
01-21-2012, 08:21 AM

Yeah, but a good thread usually finds it's way back on topic...

ELVIS
01-21-2012, 08:22 AM

LMAO!!!

DavidLeeNatra
01-21-2012, 08:24 AM
LMAO!!!

when did this place turn into the linx? did I miss the memo or what...?

ELVIS
01-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Fuck this. I'm taking a handful of aspirin, a swig of vodka and heading off to work. Let some other nitwit deal with this crap. :doh:

BTW, I think I'll have the pork tenderloin with green beans and mashed potatos...

Have a good day bro!

ELVIS
01-21-2012, 08:25 AM
when did this place turn into the linx? did I miss the memo or what...?

For reels, yo...

You can feel the tension...

ELVIS
01-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Elvis...ban yourself...for the sake of this board!

I promise when I'm a webbie, to ban myself...

ashstralia
01-21-2012, 08:28 AM
TAT TOO TAT TOO!!

seriously, were any of you statesiders checkin the home song?

me neither.

DavidLeeNatra
01-21-2012, 08:29 AM

yeah! ban me, too and let Brett "please, no foul language" from the linx run this place...

DavidLeeNatra
01-21-2012, 08:30 AM
which thread am I in?

DavidLeeNatra
01-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Tat-too tat-too !!!

ELVIS
01-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Is that what this thread is about ??

Maybe we should read the forum rules...

Nah...

ashstralia
01-21-2012, 08:48 AM
For reels, yo...

You can feel the tension...

the chicken farmers here call it lame cock.

DavidLeeNatra
01-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Is that what this thread is about ??

Maybe we should read the forum rules...

Nah...

you mean the "netiquette"? sure, that's what this site has always been about

Zing!
01-21-2012, 10:26 AM
WTF????? You mean Dave took a shit and I missed it????? :)

No worries, Donnie. Things have been happening fast around here.

Angel
01-21-2012, 11:40 AM
:focus:
I find these videos we're getting, etc. really lend themselves well to the "A Different Kind of Truth" concept. Is this "the truth" we WOULD have had if the band hadn't gone through all the BS for all these years? Things that make you go hmmmmm.... and Dave certainly gets one thinking, doesn't he?

Zing!
01-21-2012, 02:32 PM
:focus:
I find these videos we're getting, etc. really lend themselves well to the "A Different Kind of Truth" concept. Is this "the truth" we WOULD have had if the band hadn't gone through all the BS for all these years? Things that make you go hmmmmm.... and Dave certainly gets one thinking, doesn't he?

Diamond Dave most definitely gets one thinking - which is so refreshing to see after almost a quarter of a century of dumbed down Van Halen. And that was always the appeal for me of the classic years of =VH=. They never took themselves too seriously, and actually had something interesting to say beyond sex, drugs, and rock & roll like so many of the heavy metal immitators that followed them. My immediate take on the new album's title was that Van Halen, the band - and as a pop culture entity - is THE TRUTH. With the absence of Michael Anthony and the addition of Wolfgang, this new incarnation of =VH= would represent a different kind of truth. At their core they are still the mighty Van Halen - the heart and soul is still there - but it's a new version of the old truth. It makes sense in my head - but hard to explain. Maybe if the documentary Dave mentioned sees the light of day, he'll explain the album title to us. I'd also like to hear how and why he chose the train image for the album cover - and how that ties into the ADKOT idea.

ELVIS
01-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Zing, I thimk you worry about shit way too much...:biggrin:

binnie
01-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Really enjoyed this.

That's all there is to it.

Panamark
01-21-2012, 10:25 PM
That interview in main with Paula Yeates also shows Dave in a more natural
mood. I like it better when he chills out.
But I totally get it when he is in super Dave mode
and his mind is spouting endless tangents of wisdom and observation
with a healthy dose of tongue in cheek. It freaks me out a bit when
you totally get it, yet others are saying what the hell is he talking
about ? This review of his own lyrics still has that element of
that wonderful spontaneity, but he is focused on the one tangent
in this review, and those that are not attuned to "Super Dave"
will "get it". Eccentricity is one of the best indicators of brilliance
in my mind, love it when he is talking on ten levels at once
(as I get it) but its great when he is in story teller mode
and even hagar fans have half a chance to understand his genius.

Zing!
01-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Zing, I thimk you worry about shit way too much...:biggrin:

"When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was the hero of the comic book. I saw movies, and I was the hero in the movie. So every dream I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times...I learned very early in life that without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain’t got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend." -- Elvis Presley

ian_hitmanhart
01-22-2012, 05:45 AM
What an interesting guy Dave is (like we didn't already know). Its been so long since I've heard an interview for him, I was almost doubting whether he still had his trademark delivery and engaging persona. But you cant fake what Roth has. You ask him what the lyrics mean, and he doesn't give a bullshit "its a tribute to the fans" line like a Paul Stanley or a Jon Bon Jovi would dish out. Dave gives you a 6 minute lesson on each sentance in the song (and god knows how many minutes they had to cut out). An underrated song writer. Whatever criticisms you have about Tattoo, for me Dave held up his end of it. The lyrics are typically cryptic, personal, insane, funny, interesting and a million other things that has sumed up Roth's writing style since the mid-70s. Cant wait for the album.

They dont make them like Dave anymore sadly.

Hummarstra
01-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Video wouldn't work for me, but found it on youtube. If you need it here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttIQnxQ9xvM

ZahZoo
01-22-2012, 11:05 AM
They dont make them like Dave anymore sadly.

They never really did make "them"... Diamond Dave was a one and done production. Everyone is special and unique... there's just a few who stand out that little bit more on the jagged edge, who's socks are too loose!!

Stall Rest
01-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Oslo 1991, the night before the DLR show, I went out to a winebar with Dave, Rudy, Eddie Anderson and a few of Dave's people (as I mentioned in first post, have seen VH since very old days so just called Eddie - was there on business - and said Hey I'm Here and he said meet us in the lobby at 11).

But I digress. Chitchat and several beverages later and the storytelling began, first very animated and then much like the video. This video clip takes me right back to it. What a fun night. Oslo show the next night was insane too!

And of course I arranged the business trip to see them in Rotterdam too. More drinking in Amsterdam the night before.

Am SO looking forward to Anaheim, hope that by then I am on crutches (dislocated knee + 2 surgeries in last 8 weeks, still NWB for 3 more, oy vey).

Heater
01-22-2012, 09:27 PM
It's Mr. Roper! Dave looks like Mr. Roper! That's been driving me crazy, trying to figure it out who he looks like, and it's Mr. Roper! Starting to get into "Tattoo" though, so....

ELVIS
01-22-2012, 09:33 PM
No, you're mistaken...

ELVIS
01-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Mr. Roper...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1SBqFueoJQo/R4QIeuWDrDI/AAAAAAAAAMo/G3LeOsanCPA/s320/Stanley%20Roper.jpg

I think you meant Mr. Furley...

http://images.wikia.com/mayberry/images/c/c1/DonKnotts12.jpg

Either way, it's not very flattering...

hambon4lif
01-22-2012, 09:50 PM
That's been driving me crazy, trying to figure it out who he looks like, and it's Mr. Roper!You were crazy a long time ago, fuckface! Now you're just looking for something to blame it on.

Heater
01-22-2012, 10:18 PM
You could be right, or maybe it's Roper in a Furley cap. Hey handbone, good one, so funny. Very clever avatar, you must have giggled long into the night after coming up with that gem. You a professional comic genius?

Dan
01-22-2012, 10:27 PM
You could be right, or maybe it's Roper in a Furley cap. Hey handbone, good one, so funny. Very clever avatar, you must have giggled long into the night after coming up with that gem. You a professional comic genius?

WTF Are You Doing Out Of The Sheep Pen?

Dumbass Sheep.:D

Heater
01-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Trying to get away from you, you sheep molester. Did you get YOUR Furley cap yet? Bitch.

Guitar Shark
01-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Trying to get away from you, you sheep molester. Did you get YOUR Furley cap yet? Bitch.

In all seriousness, what is your purpose in posting at this site?

DavidLeeNatra
01-23-2012, 01:56 AM

hey, bob, will you stop? we oldtimers know it's you... ;)

Dave's Bitch
01-23-2012, 04:35 AM
Great Vid.Thanks Dave :)

fryingdutchman
01-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Cool video.

The background of NYC out the window really pushed it over the top.

Looked like Dave was on top of the world.

Heater
01-23-2012, 09:42 AM
In all seriousness, what is your purpose in posting at this site?

I like VH, just don't praise everything Dave does or says. If you want to talk about sheep mentality, it's all over the place here. I think some of the reason Sam gets slammed here still, even though Dave is back is because the new stuff really ain't anything to write home about and it's Hagar's fault that it took so long for a reunion and that the music isn't better. I guess I post here sometimes to put a pause in the Dave is God and can do no wrong suckfest. Once the magic is gone, it never fully comes back. Realism.

fryingdutchman
01-23-2012, 09:50 AM
I like VH, just don't praise everything Dave does or says. If you want to talk about sheep mentality, it's all over the place here. I think some of the reason Sam gets slammed here still, even though Dave is back is because the new stuff really ain't anything to write home about and it's Hagar's fault that it took so long for a reunion and that the music isn't better. I guess I post here sometimes to put a pause in the Dave is God and can do no wrong suckfest. Once the magic is gone, it never fully comes back. Realism.

I don't much care for you dude, but at least you verbalized your perspective this time without taking cheap shots and making baseless gay jokes.

However, I disagree with your opinion about Hagar.

The reason(s) he gets slammed here is:

1. He repeatedly falsifies the sales figures of Classic VH vs. Van Hagar to suit his own ego.
2. He blows moose cock as a solo artist, and only achieved any modicum of fame by riding the coattails of much more talented people (Ronnie Montrose, then Edward Van Halen)
3. He consistently uses Van Halen as a means to get attention from the media, because there's no other viable reason to take note of him.

sadaist
01-23-2012, 09:55 AM
I like VH, just don't praise everything Dave does or says. If you want to talk about sheep mentality, it's all over the place here.

I can understand why you would think that dude. Everyone at this site since Dec 26 is gushing over Dave. But with good reason. He is kicking ass & doing really well. The praise is deserved and we've been dying for him to return to form.

Had you been around the site during the bluegrass era, radio show flash, solo tour times, Vegas stint, or even the Sam & Dave tour posting era you would have seen some different things.

When your team wins the Superbowl 70-0 you don't rip the team for not scoring 77. And right now it looks like this year is gonna be a banner year for DLR & Fans. Just chill & let the fans enjoy their Dave moment. Long time fans that have stuck with Dave through some questionable at best career decisions really are getting paid off for that patience right now.

sadaist
01-23-2012, 09:57 AM
and only achieved any modicum of fame by riding the coattails of much more talented people (Ronnie Montrose, then Edward Van Halen)

and now Joe Satriani.

Mr Walker
01-23-2012, 10:00 AM
I think some of the reason Sam gets slammed here still...

I always thought the reason Sam gets slammed here is because he sucks

sadaist
01-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Cool video.

The background of NYC out the window really pushed it over the top.

Looked like Dave was on top of the world.

Could that possibly be his apartment in NYC? Damn. Either way, kickass view. My grandpa had a penthouse condo above San Diego with a huge corner window. You could see all of San Diego downtown, the bay, and the airport. I stayed the night there several times & would just sit at that window for hours every night. Love city skylines at night.

vandeleur
01-23-2012, 10:05 AM
I can understand why you would think that dude. Everyone at this site since Dec 26 is gushing over Dave. But with good reason. He is kicking ass & doing really well. The praise is deserved and we've been dying for him to return to form.

Had you been around the site during the bluegrass era, radio show flash, solo tour times, Vegas stint, or even the Sam & Dave tour posting era you would have seen some different things.

When your team wins the Superbowl 70-0 you don't rip the team for not scoring 77. And right now it looks like this year is gonna be a banner year for DLR & Fans. Just chill & let the fans enjoy their Dave moment. Long time fans that have stuck with Dave through some questionable at best career decisions really are getting paid off for that patience right now.

Killer post

fryingdutchman
01-23-2012, 10:17 AM
and now Joe Satriani.

So true...didn't even think about it.

He's like some gold-digging broad who marries for money.

He's a bimbo for virtuoso guitarists.

fryingdutchman
01-23-2012, 10:19 AM

But at that point it won't matter, because we'll all be busy dodging the flying pigs and sharpening our skates for a trip to hell.

chefcraig
01-23-2012, 10:32 AM
and now Joe Satriani.

And Neal Schon for a couple of times as well.

fryingdutchman
01-23-2012, 10:49 AM
And Neal Schon for a couple of times as well.

Damn...forgot that one too.

That Hagar really is a whore....

Vinnie Velvet
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
It is clear Dave did the "Tattoo" drawing on the graphic of the single cover.

Love how he is fronting the band in more ways than one again.

mohican
01-23-2012, 01:43 PM
It is clear Dave did the "Tattoo" drawing on the graphic of the single cover.

Love how he is fronting the band in more ways than one again.

Hey, you're right. Good observation. The bottom drawing was posted on the Links by Kevin Dodds. He said Dave drew it with a Sharpie on butcher paper. The style of both pix are pretty similar.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/mikkisays/mikkisays3/ClassicRockHardRockVanHalen-TattooSingle-2012MP3320kbps.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t124/KBD3/DLR_rubys.jpg