PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever use Amazon Wireless?

Va Beach VH Fan
01-22-2012, 08:05 PM
The son is eligible for an upgrade on his phone on Apr. 1st. Plus want to get him a new phone before he heads off to college.

I stumbled upon "Amazon Wireless", which looks to be a fairly new off-shoot of their main site....

Looks like they offer new phones at much cheaper prices, and incorporate the phone into your existing plan with the carriers....

Haven't seen any "catches" to the service, anybody ever use them ??

ELVIS
01-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Nope, it's very new...

Looks like a good deal though...

I buy all kinds of stuff through Amazon...

POJO_Risin
01-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I haven't used them...but nearly did...because their phones are a shitload cheaper than at VW. They've been around for a year, give or take, because I re-upped my phone last January...and like I said...had all the forms filled out...but ultimately went through VW because the phone I eventually got was cheaper with my two-year deal...and I was able to get a free phone for my wife by working VW over...

The one catch (and it's not really a catch), is that you are going through amazon and not VW. The are essentially working as the middle-man, so they sign a contract with VW (which isn't any different than you signing) for you, and you have to sign for two or three years. At the end, you won't get a deal through Verizon on phones...but shit...you can just reorder through Amazon at the cheaper prices they offer.

So...nothing really...if you can get a phone at a cheaper price...smart way to go, and amazon is outstanding...

Va Beach VH Fan
01-22-2012, 10:13 PM
So, in essence, it's basically like buying a new phone at Best Buy, no ??

[With cheaper prices....]

POJO_Risin
01-22-2012, 10:18 PM
While I've never tried to buy at Best Buy...I'd have to say yes...similar...since Best Buy would work as the middle man...selling the same exact contracts...just with phones at their prices...

No difference really...other than the fact that you have to mail in your phone to get it fixed...etc...

Which is what I've done with Verizon anyways...since I order all my phones online...

Amazon gets better prices on their phones because unlike Best Buy...they are trying to make money only on their contracts. I believe they buy contracts in "bulk" (amazon)...so they throw their phones to you on a dime...and try and get you to sign a three-year contract...or at a minimum...two.

If I remember correctly though...you can buy a phone at their price any time...and continue to re-up for two more years...or three...

So...say in a year or so...you find another phone you want...you can buy it at the cheap price, and just add two years to your deal. At least that was the deal a year ago...but it was literally their first couple of months...

POJO_Risin
01-22-2012, 10:23 PM
The catch for me was I get an employee discount...and amazon couldn't guarantee that I would get it...

Now I think they do...

ThrillsNSpills
01-23-2012, 03:29 PM
So many alternate phone plans these days.

It's impossible to know the pros and cons until you dive in.

especially nowadays when what you're told could very well either be fiction or subject to chance without notice.

At least you know Amazon isn't going away soon.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
I've got some time before I make my decision, but so far I haven't seen any "gotchas"....

We all know, the carriers make their money from the plans, not the hardware....

So Amazon Wireless probably buys these phones in big-time bulk, gets a decent profit in reselling them while still at a significant discount compared to the carriers themselves, and coordinates with the carriers with respect to your actual phone plan....

High Life Man
01-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Amazon is the way to go. I'm a Prime customer...it really is changing the way I shop.

Best Buy is struggling. It won't be long before Amazon is the place to go.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Yeah, but this Wireless section is fairly new....

Just putting the feelers out there....