PDA

View Full Version : STOCK Act: Insider Trading Bill To Receive Senate Vote Next Week

kwame k
01-26-2012, 04:36 PM
WASHINGTON -- A Senate bill banning the trading of corporate stocks by members of Congress based on nonpublic political information will see a vote next week, according to Democratic sources working on the bill.

"It'll be on the floor next week, either hotlined or an actual vote," one source said of the bill, known as the STOCK Act. Hotlining refers to the process of moving a bill through by unanimous consent.

A separate Democratic aide said that negotiations over amendments were still ongoing, which would make hotlining more difficult. A Democratic leadership aide, meanwhile, would only say that a vote was "possible."

The STOCK Act, authored by Sens. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Scott Brown (R-Mass.), would ban trading by members of Congress guided by nonpublic economic or political information. It would also improve disclosures of all stock trades and other financial maneuvers by members of Congress, by requiring them to publicly detail each transaction within 30 days. Lawmakers are currently granted a full year of secrecy before disclosing such financial activities.

The bill received a big boost on Tuesday when President Barack Obama called for its enactment during the State of the Union address.

"Send me a bill that bans insider trading by members of Congress; I will sign it tomorrow," Obama said.

Immediately after the speech, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) told reporters he would back the bill.

The STOCK Act is the product of two different good-government bills, one authored by Gillibrand and another by Brown. Senate Homeland Security and Government Reform Committee Chairman Joe Lieberman (I-Ct.) merged the two bills, retaining a few elements of Gillibrand's that went further than Brown's.

The Gillibrand bill not only makes it expressly illegal for a member of Congress to trade on insider information, it bans members from tipping off others. In addition to making insider trading a criminal offense, Gillibrand would make it a violation of congressional rules, paving the way for speedier ousters of offending members. Both provisions were accepted as part of the committee-approved bill.

One of the bill's shortcomings has become a political issue in Brown's 2012 re-election bid. While the bill bans trading, it does not bar legislators from performing political favors for companies whose stock they hold. So long as a lawmaker does not actually sell the stock, but merely watches it increase in value (and perhaps pay out better dividends), members of Congress will remain in the clear. Brown's Democratic opponent, Elizabeth Warren, has spoken out in favor of expanding the legislation to ban this activity.

Brown himself performed major legislative favors for big banks during the final round of debate over 2010's Wall Street reform bill. And according to his latest personal financial disclosure form, the Massachusetts Republican owns up to $50,000 of Bank of America stock.

As the financial overhaul approached passage, Brown was the deciding vote determining whether the bill would clear a filibuster in the Senate. He used that position to leverage several changes to the bill that helped large financial institutions, carving out an exemption to the Volcker Rule that allows big banks to continue placing risky bets in the securities markets with taxpayer money, provided they do so through private equity firms and hedge funds. Brown also helped save Bank of America and other banks billions of dollars in up-front costs by axing a plan that would have required them to pay into an emergency fund to cover the costs of big bank failures.

During the State of the Union, Obama also said he wanted to "limit any elected official from owning stocks in industries they impact."

Link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/26/stock-act-insider-trading-bill-senate_n_1234067.html)

kwame k
01-26-2012, 04:39 PM
The GOP will block this bill or try to convolute it to the point where it's meaningless .........

Wanna bet?

FORD
01-26-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't trust Lieberdouche or Placeholder Brown to write a clean bill. Wonder what trojan horse they have added into this?

Probably establishes a "commission" to decide whether something qualifies as insider trading or not. The commission in question being made up of former Senators who are now Wall $treet lobbyists

BITEYOASS
01-26-2012, 04:42 PM
The GOP will block this bill or try to convolute it to the point where it's meaningless .........

Wanna bet?

Then get ready for Mitch "Ghoulish" McConnell and Jon "Oompah Loompah" Boner to start the waterworks.

kwame k
01-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Ha!

Nicely played, sir:beers8:

Combat Ready
01-26-2012, 04:44 PM
If it's a straight-up insider trading bill, it will be impossible to vote against in an election year. The devil is in the details though. Is the bill only going to be anti "insider-trading" in name only? Will there be other bullshit added in? That's where the politics come in.....Every time---especially in the Senate.

kwame k
01-26-2012, 04:45 PM
I don't trust Lieberdouche or Placeholder Brown to write a clean bill. Wonder what trojan horse they have added into this?

Probably establishes a "commission" to decide whether something qualifies as insider trading or not. The commission in question being made up of former Senators who are now Wall $treet lobbyists

Brown's stain is already on it!

As the financial overhaul approached passage, Brown was the deciding vote determining whether the bill would clear a filibuster in the Senate. He used that position to leverage several changes to the bill that helped large financial institutions, carving out an exemption to the Volcker Rule that allows big banks to continue placing risky bets in the securities markets with taxpayer money, provided they do so through private equity firms and hedge funds. Brown also helped save Bank of America and other banks billions of dollars in up-front costs by axing a plan that would have required them to pay into an emergency fund to cover the costs of big bank failures.

kwame k
01-26-2012, 04:48 PM
If it's a straight-up insider trading bill, it will be impossible to vote against in an election year. The devil is in the details though. Is the bill only going to be anti "insider-trading" in name only? Will there be other bullshit added in? That's where the politics come in.....Every time---especially in the Senate.

I have a feeling it will be just feel good Legislation!

Which is sad because it'll basically say fuck you to the American people.....who'll be more interested in who wins American Idol or Survivor Island than this bill:(

Combat Ready
01-26-2012, 04:49 PM

Exactly right!

FORD
01-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Brown's just making a desperate stab at appearing "populist" because he knows Elizabeth Warren is going to whoop his ass in the election.

kwame k
01-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I have a feeling a lot of the GOP are going to lose this time around.

BITEYOASS
01-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Yeah, especially since most of their voter base has died off due to old age, locked up in the nearby insane asylum or in the later stages of Alzheimers/Dementia.

kwame k
01-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Yeah, especially since most of their voter base has died off due to old age, locked up in the nearby insane asylum or in the later stages of Alzheimers/Dementia.

I think you'll get the typical knee-jerk reaction, we're in a recession vote, like last time.

What is killing the GOP is lack of cohesion and pandering to the extreme of their base......

The obstructionist tag, which they rightfully deserve, is going to kill them, too!

Combat Ready
01-26-2012, 06:13 PM

Maybe. Intrade has an interesting take, putting the GOP chances in controlling the Senate @ 75%.....And the House odds @ 71%.....

Good chance for you guys to show your confidence and put up some money and cash in?

http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/

kwame k
01-26-2012, 06:20 PM
What a crazy site, bro:beers8:

Way too early to see which way the wind will blow come Nov.......

I'm not a registered Democrat, BTW. They deserve as much blame as the Repukes do!

In local elections I'm all over the map.....I vote for who I think is the best, not which letter is after their name.

Nationally, I voted for Demos....except for Perot back in the day.

Combat Ready
01-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Yeah---IS crazy, you can bet on anything,,,,Jeezus...

And yep---way to early to predict....

Nitro Express
01-26-2012, 06:32 PM
What a crazy site, bro:beers8:

Way too early to see which way the wind will blow come Nov.......

I'm not a registered Democrat, BTW. They deserve as much blame as the Repukes do!

In local elections I'm all over the map.....I vote for who I think is the best, not which letter is after their name.

Nationally, I voted for Demos....except for Perot back in the day.

I've always voted for a candidate and not a party. I have voted Democrat, Republican, and independent. I have been happy with with some people and not happy with others. Each party contains a vast number of different people. Some people choose one party over another because of a social issue. I know some Democrats who own their own businesses and are as capitalistic as anyone but they disagree with the Republican party on a social issue. I know Republicans who claim they are conservatives but they are as tax and spend and for big government as the Democrats are fingered for being.

I think one problem is the average voter is just lazy. It's easier to vote for a team than it is to do your own research on each candidate. What people should do is pretend are the manager of a business and the people on the ballots are people wanting a job from you. Then go to it and do your research realizing if you hire the wrong one it really could cost you. Basically the citizens own the country. It's like a credit union, co-op, or mutual insurance company. It's our money that runs it. So people have to grow up and act like owners and get responsible.

kwame k
01-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Yeah---IS crazy, you can bet on anything,,,,Jeezus...

And yep---way to early to predict....

Lets set up a bet to bet on when it's time to bet on the election;)

Phew, need a beer after typing that!

kwame k
01-26-2012, 06:36 PM
I've always voted for a candidate and not a party. I have voted Democrat, Republican, and independent. I have been happy with with some people and not happy with others. Each party contains a vast number of different people. Some people choose one party over another because of a social issue. I know some Democrats who own their own businesses and are as capitalistic as anyone but they disagree with the Republican party on a social issue. I know Republicans who claim they are conservatives but they are as tax and spend and for big government as the Democrats are fingered for being.

I think one problem is the average voter is just lazy. It's easier to vote for a team than it is to do your own research on each candidate. What people should do is pretend are the manager of a business and the people on the ballots are people wanting a job from you. Then go to it and do your research realizing if you hire the wrong one it really could cost you. Basically the citizens own the country. It's like a credit union, co-op, or mutual insurance company. It's our money that runs it. So people have to grow up and act like owners and get responsible.

Dude, I spend hours researching each person I'm voting for but.......politics is a hobby/passion of mine!

Most American's are more swayed by TV adds then anything else in this country......so I agree about the laziness factor.

Nitro Express
01-26-2012, 06:37 PM

I hope everyone up for re-election this November lose. I say fire them all. They have behaved shamefully.

Remember this is an election year folks. They have to bring in some Dr. Feelgood legislation or sprinkle some sugar on us in hopes of getting re-elected. Then they will go back to raising their middle finger and saying shit like we have to pass the bill before we can see what's in it.

kwame k
01-26-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm not even sure who I'm voting for...too early.

Obama's got my vote unless someone comes out of left field before Nov.

Combat Ready
01-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Lets set up a bet to bet on when it's time to bet on the election;)

Phew, need a beer after typing that!

You bet!

Combat Ready
01-26-2012, 06:47 PM
I hope everyone up for re-election this November lose. I say fire them all. They have behaved shamefully.

Can you imagine if the people would wake up and actually DO that? I'm on board with it......

kwame k
01-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Like Brewster's Millions......

Elect...none of the above!