PDA

View Full Version : I wonder....? Thoughts On Brian Young

faddam234
01-29-2012, 12:11 AM
I wonder what Brian Young is doing right now? haha! In all seriousness, I have been a lurker on this site since I was 16. I have posted a few times but not much. Im 25 now and I must say, as I grew up, I never thought I'd see this day. I fell in Love with Van Halen when I was nine. If it wasnt for classic Van Halen I would have never become a musician that Im proud to call myself these days. Now I have been excited for this album and kept in the loop by mostly lurking. The rotharmy is like my internet soap opera, seeing what some of you crazy fuckers say next (no offence meant). But once I heard the the clips of these new songs on itunes it brought me back to being nine years old again (my dad had to break the news to me at nine years of age that dave wasnt in Van Halen and hadnt been since 1985, the year before I was born. I was floored and heartbroken. After hearing some of this new album I had to post and say that some things in life shouldnt be taken for granted. This one moment is it. I think we can all say we NEVER thought this day would come. The fact it has proves that even on the hottest day, hell can freeze over. Even tho Micheal is missed by some, do not forget that this would not have happend without wolfgang. Thanks rotharmy for being a big part of me growing up! This music means to much to people to take it for granted! We got our wish!
*back in the shadows again*

TJMKID
01-29-2012, 12:22 AM
You're probably going to be the very first generation on Earth to ever hear these words from your kids:

" Our grand-daddy's music KICKED MAJOR EFFIN' ASS !! "

or

" Pasadena, CA, was once the epicenter of the rock 'n roll world, baby! "

faddam234
01-29-2012, 12:48 AM
I am going through major memory lane right now. I'm having major thoughts of being nine and trying to play an F chord and fucking it up, looking out the window, and trying again. While listening to Unchained and having that inspiration. I would be lying if I said that my fire and passion for Van Halen died a bit over the years with nothing happening. I still visited the Army every day but I just couldnt join all the sorrow that was going on here (especially in 04). This album is amazing to me. This album is as good as something that got me fired up at nine years old. Im 25 now and just cant believe what I am hearing.

faddam234
01-29-2012, 12:55 AM
And hearing Dave sound so fucking good along Ed puts a lump in my throat.

guwapo_rocker
01-29-2012, 01:38 AM
I wonder what Brian Young is doing right now? haha!

Last I saw he was on vacation having a blast. I don't quite get your point.

faddam234
01-29-2012, 02:01 AM
No disrespect meant towards brian young. Just a way for me to crack the ice I guess. I yelled out his name at one of daves shows.

guwapo_rocker
01-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Freakin' Canadians.

Seshmeister
01-29-2012, 08:20 PM
No disrespect meant towards brian young. Just a way for me to crack the ice I guess. I yelled out his name at one of daves shows.

Brian never ever pulled the ego thing, he's a good guy and he looks like he's enjoying life. He's very much the laid back surfer dude, he's more a Led Zep fan than a Van Halen one.

Ray Luzier was the hardcore Van Halen fan in that line-up, if he hadn't have been in the band I bet he would have posted here. :)

BrownSound1
01-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Ray was definitely as big of a fan as any of us. I remember he said he kept asking Dave to play "A Little Ain't Enough," and Dave said something like "Damn Ray, I guess you really like that song." Glad to see Ray having a good gig with Korn.

Brian is a super cool guy and while I haven't talked to him a whole lot, I did get to talk a little shop with him in Atlanta back in 2002. Coolest thing about that was walking into a strip club with DLR. :)

smorgdonkey
01-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Brian is a super cool guy and while I haven't talked to him a whole lot,

I recorded some clips of a Roth show in 2003 or 2004 and one of them has a portion of Brian's solo spot. Great player. That was around the time when gigs weren't as secure but still many cell phones didn't have decent recorders in them so I just took in a little hand held vid cam that used the little cassettes.

That show really surprised me and Dave was in great form. This made me even more angry that the '96 thing didn't get going full-blown because Dave was on and the highs were mostly there too.

Zing!
01-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Saw Brian Y. with Dave in '06 (I think - this was shortly before the VH reunion) and he was a class act.

Hardrock69
02-01-2012, 04:33 AM
Saw him on the 2002 Sam and Dave Tour.....and with Dave in 1998-99 in a 1200-seat club in Wichita, KS. Both times the shows were over the top killer.

BrownSound1
02-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Saw him on the 2002 Sam and Dave Tour.....and with Dave in 1998-99 in a 1200-seat club in Wichita, KS. Both times the shows were over the top killer.

'98-'99? You sure that wasn't Bart Walsh?