PDA

View Full Version : Blood and Fire complete song

dave_is_vh
01-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Absolutely astounding!

Whorehey
01-29-2012, 01:45 PM
2:26 says it all. Hope I'm as good at my job at 57 as these guys are!

chi-town324
01-29-2012, 01:50 PM
wonder if we are going to be able to hear all the tracks be for the 7th?

Fairwrning
01-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Sweet...This CD is gonna be an instant classic...Ed is killing and Dave sounds great..

ZahZoo
01-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Probably won't be up long... you can buy a legal version of this at amazon.co.uk. You have to be in the UK to purchase or figure out some proxy web magic get around the geographical licensing limitations.

Why it's only available in the UK only, is a grand mystery... Blood and Fire plus The Trouble with Never were released on Amazon.co.uk on the 23rd... not announced anywhere. Fans found it on the 25th... this is like a bizarre twisted treasure hunt.

Whorehey
01-29-2012, 01:58 PM
They pull this track off live, between Dave saying, "Told you I was coming back", and Ed just fucking killing this solo, any arena is gonna go standing on their feet fucking nuts!

Dave will soak it all in, and start with, "You can always tell the winners...".

Warham
01-29-2012, 02:08 PM
When I first heard it, I noticed how much Wolf stood out in the mix.

Sensible Shoes
01-29-2012, 02:08 PM
"Say you missed me." "Say it like you mean it."

DLR Bridge
01-29-2012, 02:18 PM
For this particular song, which I absolutely love, I can't help but think there is a chance that the vocals to the verses and choruses were from '85, '96 or '01. I'm probably wrong and it sure as hell doesn't matter, but he just sounds younger here. The bridge and spoken part sound new, however. I know that when Cheap Trick blew the dust off of old songs for their CD The Latest, some of the vocal tracks go back to the time of their first album. It is all good, fo sho!!

SNIPER
01-29-2012, 02:31 PM
For this particular song, which I absolutely love, I can't help but think there is a chance that the vocals to the verses and choruses were from '85, '96 or '01. I'm probably wrong and it sure as hell doesn't matter, but he just sounds younger here. The bridge and spoken part sound new, however. I know that when Cheap Trick blew the dust off of old songs for their CD The Latest, some of the vocal tracks go back to the time of their first album. It is all good, fo sho!!

That would mean the music would have needed to be recorded too or at least have the proper tempo click track to match shit up.

DLR Bridge
01-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Correct. Possible, no?

SNIPER
01-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes it is. But a lot of trouble. I think Dave just pulled it out of his bag of tricks and did it on a fresh day after a long relaxing weekend.

Warham
01-29-2012, 02:39 PM
I doubt they would be from '96. From everything I've read, they had a hard enough time getting the two songs finished that were on Best Of: Vol I.

78/84 guy
01-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Nice !!!

FORD
01-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Probably won't be up long... you can buy a legal version of this at amazon.co.uk. You have to be in the UK to purchase or figure out some proxy web magic get around the geographical licensing limitations.

Why it's only available in the UK only, is a grand mystery....

Not really much of a mystery. US media corporations and their RIAA fascist thugs are giant douchebags. They don't get the very simple fact that allowing people to hear how great this record is, might cause them to want to BUY IT.

78/84 guy
01-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Not really much of a mystery. US media corporations and their RIAA fascist thugs are giant douchebags. They don't get the very simple fact that allowing people to hear how great this record is, might cause them to want to BUY IT.

Only a week away too !! If I walked into a store next week after hearing some of this stuff on You Tube or the radio I would grab it in a second ! I'm talking about being a casual VH fan.

ZahZoo
01-29-2012, 03:24 PM

Valid point FORD... from Interscope's perspective though they're missing a huge revenue opportunity.

Had those two songs been available in the US when they went live in the UK, I would have bought them. For a moment I contemplated setting up the proxy but then remembered... I already have the album on pre-order due to arrive in two weeks or less. Now they are available for free on Youtube... Poor marketing saved me from an impulse purchase and a couple bucks. Their loss... probably a couple thousand at least or more...

bigtrouble77
01-29-2012, 03:26 PM
It's very possible to take tracks and change the pitch/speed, how do you think all of those song mashups are done in youtube?

With that said, the Trouble with Never chorus totally sounds like it has Michael Anthony on in. Since it's just a harmonized "Ahhh" I wouldn't be surprise if they lifted it from an old recording.

I think Dave's pride would have kept any old vocal tracks of him off this album.

guwapo_rocker
01-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Valid point FORD... from Interscope's perspective though they're missing a huge revenue opportunity.

Had those two songs been available in the US when they went live in the UK, I would have bought them. For a moment I contemplated setting up the proxy but then remembered... I already have the album on pre-order due to arrive in two weeks or less. Now they are available for free on Youtube... Poor marketing saved me from an impulse purchase and a couple bucks. Their loss... probably a couple thousand at least or more...

I bought the two tracks last week from amazon.co.uk using a proxy. Love both songs and crank them in the car.

I got a credit for the money spent on the two tracks that will be applied to my purchase of the album, so in the end, I

got to here them early at no extra cost :)

VanCanHalen
01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
This song is pure magic, this is certainly not an album of one great song then filler for the rest

Seshmeister
01-29-2012, 04:32 PM

I agree but I'm not sure how much difference that makes any more. Say they would have sold 10 000 more at buck each it kind of pales a bit when the tour grosses $100 million.

guwapo_rocker
01-29-2012, 04:32 PM
"Say you missed me." "Say it like you mean it."

I missed you!!!!!

ZahZoo
01-29-2012, 04:39 PM
It's very possible to take tracks and change the pitch/speed, how do you think all of those song mashups are done in youtube?

With that said, the Trouble with Never chorus totally sounds like it has Michael Anthony on in. Since it's just a harmonized "Ahhh" I wouldn't be surprise if they lifted it from an old recording.

I think Dave's pride would have kept any old vocal tracks of him off this album.

Remember VH backing vocals are a combination with Ed... so 50% of the classic tone is there. There's enough material around for Wolfgang to work with a vocal coach to learn how to hit Michael's high end and harmonize it with his father's low end. Clearly the kid doesn't have the volume range Mike had... but that can be compensated for at the mixing board.

No way they'd be stupid enough to use any old vocal tracks of Mike's...

slimdon
01-29-2012, 05:40 PM
The song rules! It made my eyes water. It's everything I hoped for in a new Van Halen song. God bless 2012 cuz it's been beautiful so far!

Seshmeister
01-29-2012, 07:17 PM

What is Occam's Razor?

Occam's (or Ockham's) razor is a principle attributed to the 14th century logician and Franciscan friar William of Ockham. Ockham was the village in the English county of Surrey where he was born.

The principle states that "Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily." Sometimes it is quoted in one of its original Latin forms to give it an air of authenticity:

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

In fact, only the first two of these forms appear in his surviving works and the third was written by a later scholar. William used the principle to justify many conclusions, including the statement that "God's existence cannot be deduced by reason alone." That one didn't make him very popular with the Pope.

Many scientists have adopted or reinvented Occam's Razor, as in Leibniz's "identity of observables" and Isaac Newton stated the rule: "We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances."

The most useful statement of the principle for scientists is
"when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better."

dave_is_vh
01-29-2012, 07:50 PM
I agree but I'm not sure how much difference that makes any more. Say they would have sold 10 000 more at buck each it kind of pales a bit when the tour grosses $100 million.

Ed failed accounting 101.