PDA

View Full Version : The Official Van Halen, "She's The Woman" review thread.

bigtrouble77
01-30-2012, 08:38 AM
"Some Casablanca ding-doink?" on She's the Woman?

I doubt that's it, but it would be the funniest lyric ever if it is.

conmee
01-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Soldier,

I believe it is "Casablanca juke joint" and for the record it is "Swap Meet Salad" not "Sally" on Tattoo. So I'm told...

That is all.

Icon.

ELVIS
01-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Yeah right...

And The Trouble With Never is actually The Trouble With N-words...

:elvis:

fryingdutchman
01-30-2012, 09:15 AM
"Some Casablanca ding-doink?" on She's the Woman?

I doubt that's it, but it would be the funniest lyric ever if it is.

It may be "Casablanca gin joint."

Isn't there a line from "Casablanca" where Bogart says "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine..."

Junglestuds
01-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah thats correct. pretty sure It's a reference to the classic movie "Casablanca" playing on the line Bogey says when his long lost love comes back into his life.

Fate is my pimp.
But she was cool.
Sayin', "If ya doing business with me honey, what does that make you?"
Some Casablanca gin joint. You're a nervous wreck.

VAiN
01-30-2012, 09:46 AM
I'll tell ya what he's not saying... 'love love love lovey love love, woo! baby! owwww! dig it!'

ELVIS
01-30-2012, 09:57 AM
I thimk it says:

"Some kind of alien in chefcraig's opening - pulled on his tampon string"

chuckie lee
01-30-2012, 10:47 AM
I'll tell ya what he's not saying... 'love love love lovey love love, woo! baby! owwww! dig it!' And thank god for that...

ZahZoo
01-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Soldier,

I believe it is "Casablanca juke joint" and for the record it is "Swap Meet Salad" not "Sally" on Tattoo. So I'm told...

That is all.

Icon.

Pardon me sir... but I believe Pojo had it correct... It's "Swamp Meat Sally"...

Seshmeister
01-30-2012, 12:16 PM
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/y8oeCIPFGHw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/y8oeCIPFGHw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

John Jacob
01-30-2012, 01:15 PM
i thimk it says:

"some kind of alien in chefcraig's opening - pulled on his tampon string"

lol!!

but learn how to spell dummy

RedZoneD25
01-30-2012, 06:14 PM
It's pretty funny how he says "Facebook page" in Outta Space. Nothing wrong with it, but strange to see this CD has officially been "marked" and long after Facebook's stranglehold on society is gone, we'll know when this album was written/released. Love stuff like that.

Yount
01-30-2012, 06:38 PM
I swear he mentions 'atom age' in one of these new songs. I like how Dave links lyrics from the past.

Examples: Can't get this stuff no more - That's that edge when you tell the truth (Tell the truth 1991)
CGTSNM - That's the thing bout self improvement, don't get me wrong... (Little bit of luck 1994)
Just a gigolo - I ain't got nobody (Running with the devil 1978)

They're only subtle I guess but I always find it amusing. It's a treat for the fans who really listen to the story.
Sure there's heaps more.

Momshell
01-30-2012, 08:51 PM
doesn't he also say counter-blast in one of the new ones? (can't remember which one right now)

Momshell
01-30-2012, 09:07 PM
it's on outta space

I like this game too!!

Terry
01-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Pardon me sir... but I believe Pojo had it correct... It's "Swamp Meat Sally"...

I thought it was Swamp Meat Salad...

Terry
01-30-2012, 09:25 PM
I swear he mentions 'atom age' in one of these new songs. I like how Dave links lyrics from the past.

Examples: Can't get this stuff no more - That's that edge when you tell the truth (Tell the truth 1991)
CGTSNM - That's the thing bout self improvement, don't get me wrong... (Little bit of luck 1994)

They're only subtle I guess but I always find it amusing. It's a treat for the fans who really listen to the story.
Sure there's heaps more.

With Can't Get This Stuff No More, I thought the line was:

That's how it is when you tell the truth.

Then again, for years I thought that AC/DC Dirty Deeds chorus was Thirty Thieves and the Thunder Chief...so what the fuck do I know?

DLR Bridge
01-30-2012, 09:36 PM

Sure there's heaps more.

I think he says counterblast in Outta Space. Watch, this CD is going to be an intricate weave of 38 different songs.

DONNIEP
01-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Speaking of CGTSNM - I choose to believe that at 1:17 Dave says, "tell me what is Edward pretendin'?" I don't care what he's really saying - my lyric fits in way better! ;) :gulp:

Little Texan
01-30-2012, 09:45 PM
I thought it was Swamp Meat Salad...

Then again, for years I thought that AC/DC Dirty Deeds chorus was Thirty Thieves and the Thunder Chief...so what the fuck do I know?

Dude...you really need to get that hearing checked out. :lmao:

Momshell
01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
I thought it was 'that's how it is when you tell the truth' too.

K-tuna
01-30-2012, 10:07 PM
It is...... theres even interviews where Dave explains the line. " I don't need that much to remember, thats how it is when you tell the truth".

DLR Bridge
01-30-2012, 10:12 PM
It is...... theres even interviews where Dave explains the line. " I don't need that much to remember, thats how it is when you tell the truth".

The Popsmear interview outlines quite clearly why this song will never be played live. Dave landed the perfect sucker punch.

Yount
01-31-2012, 03:49 AM

ooh my bad. Dang. For years I've been singing it wrong. "That edge..." just sounds perfect though.

Loons The Great
01-31-2012, 06:38 AM
Diamond Dave blues speaks Dance The Night Away durin' the low part of The Trouble With Never. What song does he mention Land'd Edge?

Sensible Shoes
01-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Soldier,

for the record it is "Swap Meet Salad" not "Sally" on Tattoo. So I'm told...

That is all.

Icon.

Dave says "Swap meet Sally" on his explanation of the lyrics, and it's also "Sally" on his hand written lyrics.

Sensible Shoes
01-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Another lyric fracture: I always thought in "Could this be magic?" Dave was saying "Puddin tab" instead of "Foot tappin". What could that possibly mean? Who the hell knows I figured it was one of those retro Dave sayings.

At least I never got Etch a sketch out of catch as catch can.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Official clip....

1971Quarter
02-03-2012, 09:52 AM
"She's The Woman" = Spammy Gaybar

;)

chi-town324
02-06-2012, 08:42 PM
the more i hear this track the more it kicks ass !!

rocking ron
02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Look at all the people here tonite : BLOOD & FIRE

rocking ron
02-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Soldier,

That is all.

Icon.IT's : SWAP MEET SALLY...

rocking ron
02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Diamond Dave blues speaks Dance The Night Away durin' the low part of The Trouble With Never. What song does he mention Land'd Edge?

Lands edge ...........during..................BIG RIVER

big river
lands edge
where the east begins
where the debris meets the sea
when the tide comes in

golitely
02-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Heard this one on the radio this afternoon..the next single? Has Tattoo already peaked?

python3
02-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Song sounds phenomenal on my home theater system. Still can't listen to it without picturing WARF at Wha.

redfire
02-11-2012, 10:06 AM
This song ain't dirty, its really just the way we sing it...

Some Casablanca gin joint....

I want to be your knight in shining pickup truck...

Those are some of the funniest lines I can remember Dave singing. I don't think I could be any happier... unless the Round Rocker was abducted by aliens...

Zing!
02-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Now that I have a little bit of perspective after listening to this tune a hundred times, my thoughts on it have evolved a bit. Still a killer song, musically. Ed, Al, and Wolf nail it to the floor and play the tune beautifully tight. A total Van Halen song though and through, it's easy to imagine this fitting in on the first two records with its aggressive, in-your-face Eddie riff and its overly simple, singalong chorus. The downside is, with a little perspective, I can't get past Dave's vocals in parts. During certain lines he sounds perfect, others he's reaching too much for what his voice is capable of pulling off these days (the 'thunder thong' line is a perfect example). This is also the song that I really miss Ted Templeman the most. Ted was a master at reeling Dave in and capturing the perfect attitude without overdoing it. I hate the way this song goes the 'Skyscraper' route and has Dave singing over himself with various yelps and woos and ows and yeah-yeahs. Not necessary.

They should have kept this track bare bones - especially since the demo version didn't really have much screaming anyhow - and Dave obviously can't belt out a train whistle scream like he used to. In hindsight, I would have just had Dave sing it without any embellishments, go for pure, raunchy attitude - without cutting and pasting all the extra Davisms (unless you were going to cut and paste a proper scream like on 'As Is'). Just my two cents. Anyone else feel this way too? Or am I being a whiny beeyatch? Still a great song - still listen to it regularly - but still miss Ted every time, too...

DLR Bridge
02-27-2012, 09:23 AM
I just noticed an interesting lyrical similarity between this song and Wawazatt!!

STW- Yeah dreams come true, but it remains to be seen. By the time mine usually do, I'm no longer me.

W!!- By the time your dreams come true, you've turned into someone else.

Yount
03-12-2012, 03:59 AM
So are Van Halen gonna do a video for STW?

KSTONER
03-13-2012, 10:50 AM
I've been wondering that too. I'm hoping Dave brings a lil' No Holds BBQ vibe to it. Thunder thongs and knights in shining pick-up trucks....this SCREAMS for a Dave-Directed video.

KSTONER
03-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Actually....I think it's already been done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXJasUEDE9U

steve
03-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Anyone else see the whole song as a metaphor for VH (just like Can't Get this Stuff No More where DLR describes VH in the terms of a "date with a supermodel").
Here the "Woman" stands vaguely for destiny, fate is the pimp (bluntly stated), and the "suburban garage-a-trois" are Eddie, Alex, and Wolfgang (as in suburban garage rock trio).
The thunder thong around Dave's neck are his ties to the Van Halen legacy that he cannot escape.
I think it's pretty clear.
But while the lyrics are clever and poignant, most importantly, they are damn fun. Frankly, it's difficult to develop lyrics to a song that have a fun, organic vernacular reflecting the music and at the same time be thoughtful.
Kudos to DLR on this one.
Oh...and the music is kickass, I think it goes without saying that this should have been the leadoff single - it's brief, fun, deceptively smart, has a GREAT effing groove with a a big clear guitar tone, and just plain rocks.

sadaist
03-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Anyone else see the whole song as a metaphor for VH (just like Can't Get this Stuff No More where DLR describes VH in the terms of a "date with a supermodel").
Here the "Woman" stands vaguely for destiny, fate is the pimp (bluntly stated), and the "suburban garage-a-trois" are Eddie, Alex, and Wolfgang (as in suburban garage rock trio).
The thunder thong around Dave's neck are his ties to the Van Halen legacy that he cannot escape.
But while the lyrics are clever and poignant, most importantly, they are damn fun. Frankly, it's difficult to develop lyrics to a song that have a fun, organic vernacular reflecting the music and at the same time be thoughtful.
Kudos to DLR on this one.
Oh...and the music is kickass, I think it goes without saying that this should have been the leadoff single - it's brief, fun, deceptively smart, has a GREAT effing groove with a a big clear guitar tone, and just plain rocks.

Good thoughts there. I really love the song except that I just think the chorus is a bit monotonous & plain. Plain? Not sure if that's what I mean.

steve
03-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Or rather, the thunder thong around DLR's neck IS his tie to the VH legacy, or for that matter EVH and AVH.

Elvis of the rotharmy.com message boards, however, has some unfortunate images in his head or very large undergarments.

steve
03-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Good thoughts there. I really love the song except that I just think the chorus is a bit monotonous & plain. Plain? Not sure if that's what I mean.

A little - maybe at the end he coulda' changed up the chorus a little on the outro. Splitting hairs though on this song (as opposed to Tattoo, where the repetitiveness of the chorus is a distraction)

DONNIEP
03-21-2012, 12:14 AM

Not trying to disqualify your opinion here...And this is just MY opinion, but the Van Halen legacy, the real legacy, is as much Dave (maybe even more so) than Ed and Al. I know, Dave said that until VH reunited no one would accept anything they did separately. I know. But we're talking about a guy who toured pretty much nonstop, with some exceptions, even when the brothers were doing nothing. Again, not disagreeing so much as saying that Dave carved out a pretty good niche for himself. Was it as big as what he could have had if he'd never left the band? Well, hell no. But fuck that! He split and I followed Dave. And I was never let down. And I should use this time to thank him for his 2003 FREE concert in Charlotte. Great fucking night that was!!!

Zing!
03-22-2012, 09:26 PM

While you make a good case, this is actually one song on the album that I DON'T read too much into. I think it's just a raunchy little bad-ass rock number about a guy paying a whore to lose it, nothing more (at least to my ears). On a different note - since this track is the second official single from the album, I wonder why no original artwork was put out to accompany the download like 'Tattoo' had? I was kinda hoping each single would feature more of Dave's art.

rocking ron
04-03-2012, 07:01 PM
I LOVE THIS FXXXXXX SONG, also during their shows, it really kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!

VanHalener
04-03-2012, 10:09 PM
I LOVE THIS FXXXXXX SONG

:amen:

:hitch:OWWWWWW!

:lookie:
:killer::band::rockit2:

VanHalener
04-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Bad Assssssss

Van Halen, bitches!

Vannnnnn Halen!

~Garçon, more volume please~

Jérôme Frenchise
05-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Fucking kickass!! The tune I play most in my car.

Did anybody buy the 7" vinyl ?...

... WHAT'S THE B-SIDE ???

vaijuju
05-05-2012, 02:56 AM
http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/17/04/37/89/11gorb10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=237&u=17043789)

sadaist
05-05-2012, 03:22 AM
http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/17/04/37/89/11gorb10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=237&u=17043789)

umm....please tell me this is your photoshop or some cruel joke. Please.

If this is fucking real I think I might need a clean pair of underwears.

sadaist
05-05-2012, 03:34 AM

I have really warmed up to what I originally felt was a monotonous chorus. This song is now in my top 3. I love how REAL Van Halen songs do that. You never truly have 1 favorite for a very long time because they are all creepers.

vaijuju
05-05-2012, 03:39 AM

The guy who put that pic said : "
Well...a buddy of mine that works at a record store in Santa Barbara just texted me to say he's mailing me a limited edition 7" version of "She's The Woman"/"Brown M&M's".

So, there you have it. The B-Side is "Brown M&M's". With a title like that it may be looking more like they put one of the interviews we've seen so much in audio form. We've just never heard this particular one yet.

Just my theory."

sadaist
05-05-2012, 03:43 AM
But what if it's a song? lol....am I being greedy? hoping for #14 new song for 2012?

But yeah, the interview makes a lot of sense. It is their most legendary-notorious "rock band moment" that all fans ask about.

Little Texan
05-05-2012, 03:47 AM

It's an interview, not a new song, according to Jeff Hausman.

sadaist
05-05-2012, 03:55 AM
It's an interview, not a new song, according to Jeff Hausman.

Thanks. I was allowing myself to start to get excited over the thought of getting to hear yet another new VH song. January-February 2012 nearly killed me.

SunisinuS
05-05-2012, 04:03 AM
been playing this song all day:

Yount
05-05-2012, 05:31 AM
I was feeling kinda down on my luck and low then I heard the bass.. doodoodoodoo doodoodoodoo and drum thunder. Oooh.

Mr Walker
05-09-2012, 01:25 PM
This was way too funny... I was listening to 'She's The Woman' and came upon this slide show... they go together like peanut butter & jelly!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/07/800-pound-bride-susanne-eman_n_1498377.html?ref=mostpopular

ZahZoo
05-10-2012, 11:46 AM
So you're fascinated with moving mountains and wish the Michelin man was female..?

You're a sick man Mr Walker...

theshapecool
05-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Love this track. In the break before the solo, you can hear a very buried but audiable 'ohh yeaaaahhh' which is a real 70's style roth scream. I'm surprised he managed to reach it for this album! Its definitely not a sampled scream from RWTD but he must of really gone for it. Such a fucking cool track, love the Casablanca gin joint joke. Anyone else feeling a thunder thong around their neck? ;-)

theshapecool
05-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Also I REALLY love drumming to this one, I've been in the studio recently working on a guitar led album and just laying down the backing tracks and recording my drum parts, and basically I LOVE Alex's intro to the track. its basically a Quadlet that rolls down to a flam I think, that's how I play it anyway. But yeah such a sweet little lick, I've been using it a lot.

Yount
07-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Yeah, :rolleyes: dreams come true