PDA

View Full Version : The Official Van Halen, "You and your Blues" review thread.

Seshmeister
01-30-2012, 12:18 PM
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/BkbAuT5ErX4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/BkbAuT5ErX4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Jetstream
01-30-2012, 08:06 PM
My favorite track off the new Lp from the 90 second samples along with Chinatown and Stay Frosty. The riff and melody of this track is so Van Halen...classic stuff

hain23x
01-31-2012, 11:57 AM
The pre chorus and chorus are incredible

Pennypacker
01-31-2012, 01:12 PM
Longer version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=478_aKcz6FU&feature=youtu.be

Pennypacker
01-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Interesting that VanHalen twitter account retweeted TwitterMusic:

EXCLUSIVE: Check out this clip of @VanHalen's "You and Your Blues"! Their new album is out next week! #VHcountdown

BALLYJUNKIE
01-31-2012, 02:28 PM
with a title like "you and your blues i was hoping to hear dave play some bluesy harmonica licks ......

VAiN
01-31-2012, 03:00 PM
The tone has a hint of 'Don't Tell Me (what cheese can do)', but it works.. it's big and fat and chugs, like hagar, but with none of the cheesey aftertaste. I'm diggin it!

Combat Ready
01-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Seriously---Song is bad ass and backing vocals lack nothing......

guwapo_rocker
01-31-2012, 08:41 PM
I like it. I like it a lot!

kingedward
01-31-2012, 09:19 PM
My second favorite, After Chinatown. I'm really liking the tone Edwards trying on this stuff. Liking Dave's voice more and more.

Little Texan
01-31-2012, 10:26 PM
The music sounds like a Van Hagar leftover from the Balance era, and Dave, yet again, works his lyrical magic on a leftover Hagar era tune. Makes you wonder what Dave could've done with all of the better riffs of the Hagar years that Sam totally ruined with his shit lyrics and grating voice. I think this is what 90's Van HALEN would've sounded like had Dave never left.

slowhand
02-02-2012, 12:25 PM
The music sounds like a Van Hagar leftover from the Balance era, and Dave, yet again, works his lyrical magic on a leftover Hagar era tune. Makes you wonder what Dave could've done with all of the better riffs of the Hagar years that Sam totally ruined with his shit lyrics and grating voice. I think this is what 90's Van HALEN would've sounded like had Dave never left.

If you play this song backwards you can hear Dave saying "fuck Sammy Hagar" when he says "now everybody suffers" at end of the song. No joke. I hear a few other things in there too....with a little imagination.

vanshipman
02-02-2012, 06:47 PM
I have a feeling this song is going to be one of the best on the album...but man...thats a pretty tall order!!! Theyre all killer. When is the last time that you bought an album by anyone, where every track was great? If you have, I wanna know what it is. Imagine how Sammy Hagar must really feel after hearing this new music...LOL Only a moron like Hagar would be stupid enough to publicly say that this music is bland. I guess after rolling up his bright red and yellow sleeves and writing his super inspired tunes for Chickensoup, aaaand being all proud of it, then hearing this new VH...its gotta sting a bit. LOL Oh well Sammy, youve always got your birthday to look forward to...

SNIPER
02-04-2012, 12:34 AM
I love the lyrics in this one. Really makes the song better. This one is now in my top 5 off this cd.

Dan
02-04-2012, 12:38 AM

Damn LT,That First Sentence Almost Got You Put Into The Sheep Pen.:D

SNIPER
02-04-2012, 12:40 AM
When I first heard the 30 sec sample it was my least favorite. But holy shit it rocks. The hooks in this are epic VH.

chi-town324
02-05-2012, 12:04 PM
love this one..first track i played twice

WARF
02-05-2012, 01:28 PM
I've heard the entire album many times now, and I would have to say this is one of my early favorites.

I love Daves voice here!

Golden AWe
02-05-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm being critical - I must say the rest of the song doesn't live up to the chorus and the pre-chorus. At least yet. The rest of the song sounds too Van Hagar to me, so far. Not saying this is a bad song overall, but not as good as the better ones on the album!

SNIPER
02-05-2012, 05:40 PM
This is a great song. The way Dave sings it along with the killer lyrics gives me the chills. This one goes out to my x wife and her blue twat. HA!

Sensible Shoes
02-05-2012, 05:44 PM
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/BkbAuT5ErX4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/BkbAuT5ErX4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I hear a little bit of "Sunburn" in the beginning vocals....... which is not a bad thing.

Golden AWe
02-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm being critical - I must say the rest of the song doesn't live up to the chorus and the pre-chorus. At least yet. The rest of the song sounds too Van Hagar to me, so far. Not saying this is a bad song overall, but not as good as the better ones on the album!

Don't hate me for this...but I still think this song has great parts, but I would've needed a Desmond Child to put it all together to make it a perfect pop rock hit...It still doesn't give me the kicks 100% as a whole song. Now does Van Halen need a Desmond Child hit? No! But it had more elements than it actually puts up.

Combat Ready
02-06-2012, 11:19 PM
I hear a little bit of "Sunburn" in the beginning vocals....... which is not a bad thing.

Good call Shoes.....

Mr Walker
02-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Anybody else hear 'Saturday Night Special' hiding in here?

ELVIS
02-08-2012, 11:35 AM
No, but this song kicks ass and could be a single...

Very Catchy vocals and Anthony-esque backing vocals...

This song reminds me of V A N H A L E N I I

kILLER!

:killer:

vh rides again
02-09-2012, 07:38 PM
I have a new favorite song.

This song is incredible, I fucking love it.

The new, on fire.

SunisinuS
02-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Dedicated to Every Woman I Ever Met.

And I hate "Blues" as much as every Rocker hates Punks.

Now Soul this Has.

I love how he makes fun of almost every English "Rock" band that has invaded our shores....along with home grown yanks.

I now know why Ed likes this particular style of "Chug", he is creating overtones on each 16th that are whole chords in each note change. The Phrasing for me is very well done, as opposed to others. I hear colors in this one. Not only because of the obvious reference.

And this is obviously a Dave "Blues" song talking about how he cannot find one that understand's him (why can't she just like everything I do?!?), hehe.

I agree with Elvis....this would be a great single. The Harmonies just scream. Power Harmonies. Beach Boys meet Red Meat. They used to say that King's X was Turbo-Beatles. Dave brings a Wall of Sound back to Van Halen here Over his singing.

Turbo-Beach Boys.

The Colors stand out. Red House over 'yonder. Moonlight. Ain't gonna dust, no broom. No More growing God Dependent (Rainbow). Dave's reach back to: "That's When Push Comes to Shove".

Way Deeper cut with a hook that I didn't expect because of wanting to start to cringe if Dave does the "Curdle Voice@tm".

But the band got rid of "me and my blues" on this cut. And Ross should be proud of how he mixed this. Especially the one line from Dave.....(to be continued).

You can hear the Band not shrink from the past on this one.

Eddie, Alex, Wofie, and Dave sound unafraid.

As it(s) should be.

twonabomber
02-09-2012, 09:24 PM
you know i dig the "19th nervous breakdown" part.

a good, solid mid-tempo song. would fit well in the setlist as kind of a break for Al.

Mr Walker
02-11-2012, 02:38 PM
What do you rail against with anger and fury when you are close to sixty and make a pretty comfortable living...
Yes, against your significant other who just can't stop with their drama.
I bet more than a few of us can relate.
Fucking brilliant Dave... brilliant.

Golden AWe
02-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Yes, the background vocals and lyrics are grate. But no single for this one. Take a fast one, or "Stay Frosty" next.

SNIPER
02-11-2012, 05:29 PM
This is one of my favorites!! Love the lyrics!

VanHalener
02-14-2012, 01:17 AM
I left Outta Space and hitched a ride on this bad boy.

Sure hope the cops like this one, if they show up.

Fairfax, baby! Van Halen territory for you and your blues.

OWWWW!

Golden AWe
02-14-2012, 02:23 AM
Aww...I cun't help it...it's really, really grown on me! Love this tune! Fuck Desmond Child!!!

LW-Viper
02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
I like this song sounds like Very old van halen....and it kicks ass

BenJammin
02-15-2012, 03:34 PM
I must say Dave really shows he still has some incredible power in his voice on the "Woman, you suffer from a color..." parts

I picture a mix of Robert Plant, Roger Daltry, and Joe Cocker standing behind the mic belting those parts out.

Catfish
02-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Without question one of the best songs on the album! Every dude in the world can take this and apply it to their female counterpart! And the clever use of old blues standard song titles is brilliant! Got some classic-sounding background vocals, as well.

Catfish
02-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Yes it is.

78/84 guy
02-17-2012, 08:37 PM
This is one of my favorites!! Love the lyrics!

Yep. Might be Dave's best lyric's on the album. I love that it comes up 3rd on the album. It doesn't get lost. Right away you go what is this ? Nice tune.

Terry
03-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Gotta start giving this one some more spin-time, because it didn't make an impression on me as quickly as some of the other tunes did, so I've been subsequently skipping right from She's The Woman to Chinatown.

Mr Walker
03-01-2012, 10:03 PM
I like this song more every single time I hear it... they really should push this one.

Seshmeister
03-02-2012, 09:38 PM
This song should have been a single.

SunisinuS
03-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Should have been the first single. Then "As Is", Then "Blood and Fire" Then "Big River".

IceCreamBlondie
03-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Should have been the first single. Then "As Is", Then "Blood and Fire" Then "Big River".

You got that right...I just love You and Your Blues, play it in the car all the time. Catchy as hell. That and Stay Frosty!!

Zing!
03-02-2012, 10:13 PM

How they came up with 'Tattoo' and 'She's The Woman' as the first two singles is beyond me. Pretty much any other song on the disk would have put this album global (if it isn't already). 'You And Your Blues' is stunning.

SunisinuS
03-02-2012, 11:32 PM
You got that right...I just love You and Your Blues, play it in the car all the time. Catchy as hell. That and Stay Frosty!!

Ahh but then "Stay Frosty" is one of those secret cuts that let's the pop world smile again...while we all find Honeybabysweetiedoll "Ruff Ruff".*

*See Russel.

NIN1211
03-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Blood and Fire...no brainer summer time hit

SunisinuS
03-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Blood and Fire...no brainer summer time hit

Yup. Can't you just see a Surfer Video over this? Wave Tossed Guy...the Nationals on the beach (Look at all the people).....bleeeeeds for a Wave...and then shooting out of the Tube.

Etienne
03-21-2012, 02:45 PM

One of the strongest tune on the whole album imho... as mentioned, catchy as hell.

Sensible Shoes
03-21-2012, 03:44 PM

Me too - think it's a girl thing?

Angel
03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Me too - think it's a girl thing?

Hmmm, my fav's are honey, bullet, and As is... Then again I'm not you're typical female ;)

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Sensible Shoes
03-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Shit none of the Roth Army women are typical! We are way better!

Angel
03-21-2012, 05:53 PM

LMFAO! True that...

Light Em' Up!
03-21-2012, 08:13 PM

For sure!

SNIPER
03-21-2012, 08:18 PM
I can hear this one being a movie soundtrack tune.

Light Em' Up!
03-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Hmmm, my fav's are honey, bullet, and As is... Then again I'm not you're typical female ;)

Personally, I dig the heavier ones like BH, HBSD and CT. Love the heavy drums and bass on those tracks. Not typical either :bigwink:

BITEYOASS
03-21-2012, 08:58 PM
So has "You And Your Blues" been performed live yet?

SNIPER
03-21-2012, 09:04 PM

Nope.

Sensible Shoes
03-21-2012, 09:10 PM
They should do this live. I'd be stoked.

minkahed
03-27-2012, 09:56 PM
you know i dig the "19th nervous breakdown" part.

a good, solid mid-tempo song. would fit well in the setlist as kind of a break for Al.

Reminds me of "Exedrin headache number 65 ..."

sadaist
03-27-2012, 10:23 PM

Didn't care for that song on Feb 7. Kept skipping it. Then after a couple weeks I would let it play through every 3rd or 4th time on my way to As Is & Stay Frosty. But now I totally dig it! Weird man. This & Big River have grown the most on me.

Bowanna
03-30-2012, 08:58 PM
I think this might end up being my favorite song on the disk... I still have a few hundred listens to go before I make my final decision though.

DLR Bridge
04-19-2012, 12:15 PM
I love Al and Wolf playing in unison just before the solo. Also like the nice little descending bass line towards the end too. I'd definitely categorize this tune as a grower. It's done grown on me now!

fourthcoming
04-19-2012, 04:45 PM
I love Al and Wolf playing in unison just before the solo. Also like the nice little descending bass line towards the end too. I'd definitely categorize this tune as a grower. It's done grown on me now!

Couldn't agree with you more dude. That's EXACTLY what this tune is.....a grower. The more I listen to it, the more it sounds like the perfect song to be released as a single. The song is almost put together perfectly. Great vocals, great chorus, great riffs, possibly the best lyrics on the album, and a kick ass finish. Just a solid rock and roll tune.

Zing!
04-20-2012, 03:42 PM
For some reason, every time I listen to 'You And Your Blues' I get the feeling that this song was originally 'Eat They Neighbor' - one of the tracks Dave worked on for '5150' before he split. Maybe it's the chord structure EVH uses, or maybe it's reminiscent of where Ed went with that album after Dave hit the road. Naturally, it was too good of a riff to have S. Haggar screeching culinary metaphors and "Heys! and Ows! and Yeahs!" over, so he tucked that one away in a shoe-box marked 'Roth.' Either way, it's definitely single material - Dave nails it in my opinion.

mh5150
04-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Such a great tune . By far my the best on the album .IMO.

BenJammin
04-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Just have to say after wearing this whole album out for the last 2 1/2 months, I still queue up YAYB repeatedly... sometimes even 2-3 times in a row and cranked ! Something about this song is just so perfect for VH at this point in their lives/career/age and most of all Dave's voice.

mug
04-26-2012, 11:34 AM
My fav as well song is all vh.

Northern Girl
05-21-2012, 08:45 PM
I sing this like a righteous black woman.

BenJammin
05-21-2012, 09:03 PM
I think a youtube cover by a 'righteous black woman' (even from a white woman feeling the groove) would be awesome!

Although the 'woman' parts might come across a little gay, but I'd understand :)

Toddb
05-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Ed played You and Your Blues at the soundcheck in Winnipeg. I was so hoping they would add it to the setlist but did not. For sure a classic tune to me is a perfect 10 and easy top 40 hit.

Yount
07-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Ain't going to heaven anytime soon :lever:

Yount
08-11-2012, 07:23 AM
So good to have this song follow "She's the woman" and "Tattoo," it all flows.

Every DLR/VH album has had that magic flow.
Even Diver Down. I hate how that album gets a canning. When you take it all in... to perspective, that album has such hidden meaning it's captivating when you are riding along with it in your headphones. I dunno about you, but I "get" it. I enjoy it every time. Absolutely.
Every album does that to me, surely it must to you.
Yeah,
Defines the album; you hear this song, it's like BOOM, this ain't no She's The Woman, I'm talkin' the blues man, how it is. It's a great twist, I love it! The song order. If they make this decision as a band that would be nice to know, or maybe Dave does it, I wonder??? Does anyone know?

Sensible Shoes
08-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Sadly, I think Dave is singing this one about me.

Angel
08-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Sadly, I think Dave is singing this one about me.

How can he be singing it about both of us at the same time :/

ELVIS
08-12-2012, 01:29 AM
I dedicate this song to all the stupid depressed cunts all over the world...

Angel
08-12-2012, 09:41 AM

So, you're including yourself in that I assume? Intelligence has nothing to do with depression. You would think a nurse would know that. Your bad moods permanent...

Nickdfresh
08-12-2012, 09:55 AM

My, what an angry, miserable douche you are. How's that found Jesus thing going? LOL

ELVIS
08-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Just fine...

How's your empty life ??

Nickdfresh
08-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Just fine...

How's your empty life ??

LOL if only I had a wife and a job I could ignore by posting on the web 50 times a day...

ELVIS
08-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Do I sense a bit of ELVIS envy ??

:biggrin:

Nickdfresh
08-12-2012, 11:54 AM
If you do, you're even less in touch with reality than your stalking and retarded conspiracy bullshit and racist rants would imply...

ELVIS
08-12-2012, 11:56 AM
If I do what ??

Nickdfresh
08-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Re-read the posts, dummy. It will come to you eventually, oh thick-one...

78/84 guy
08-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Re-read the posts, dummy. It will come to you eventually, oh thick-one...

That's what she said !

78/84 guy
08-12-2012, 12:36 PM
LOL if only I had a wife and a job I could ignore by posting on the web 50 times a day...

It's only 50 ?

ELVIS
08-12-2012, 04:14 PM
It's as many as I want...

kwame k
08-12-2012, 04:16 PM
So there:headlights:

ELVIS
08-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Exactly...

VAiN
08-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Didn't care for that song on Feb 7. Kept skipping it. Then after a couple weeks I would let it play through every 3rd or 4th time on my way to As Is & Stay Frosty. But now I totally dig it! Weird man. This & Big River have grown the most on me.

Funny, I feel the same way... Literally within the last few days I've been listening to 'You and you Blues' more often and getting into it.. Nice to have the luxury to have one grow on you!

Sensible Shoes
08-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Always interesting to see who "likes" Elvis.

Nitro Express
08-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Always interesting to see who "likes" Elvis.

It was usually people with tits and vaginas that liked him.

Sensible Shoes
08-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Not our Elvis. Doubt you'd find ANYBODY with a vagina who likes him.

Nitro Express
08-12-2012, 09:48 PM
There only was one real Elvis. All the rest are just imitators.

minkahed
08-12-2012, 09:58 PM
There only was one real Elvis. All the rest are just imitators.

You got that right brother.

Long Live ELVIS PRESLEY !!!