PDA

View Full Version : The Official Van Halen, "Blood and Fire" review thread

Pages : [1] 2

Cruiser
01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/tY7ZqN8Ksdg?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/tY7ZqN8Ksdg?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Sounds very cool! And thats Blood and Fire

chefcraig
01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Preview Van Halen's New Single 'Blood and Fire'

ROLLING STONE (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/preview-van-halens-new-single-blood-and-fire-20120125)

Van Halen's new album A Different Kind of Truth will be released in less than two weeks. In the meantime, here's an exclusive 90-second preview of the LP's second single "Blood and Fire." The disc's first single "Tattoo" was based off the group's 1977 unreleased track "Down In Flames"; another track on the album, "She's The Woman," which the group played live at their recent secret show in New York City, was originally recorded as a demo in 1976.

So we offer a challenge to Van Halen's hardcore fans: Does this sound like a completely new song, or do you hear anything that sounds like an old riff or melody? To be very clear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a band using old material on a new album. Groups do it all the time and you can't plagiarize from yourself. In fact, many of Van Halen's most famous songs (including "Right Now") took elements out of older material. We're just curious to know how much of this Van Halen album was created with that process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tY7ZqN8Ksdg

binnie
01-25-2012, 11:28 AM
I'd post the link but I'm not sure whether or not in contravenes any deals the webbies have made?

First impressions: cool chorus (really cool); not sure about the lyric; glad that it's not pastiche.

binnie
01-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Oh, Chef beat us all to it anyhow!

Romeo Delight
01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Its from the Wild Life soundtrack!!! Always liked this

Warham
01-25-2012, 11:30 AM
This is awesome. Great bass by Wolfie. I think we are in for a treat.

I love it.

kwame k
01-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Wow!

Like the beginning and how the drums come in........

Sounds like it would fit on DD or 1984.

Warham
01-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Al can still smoke 'em.

These 90 seconds are more interesting than the whole of "Tattoo".

vandeleur
01-25-2012, 11:36 AM
look at all of the people here tonight ....like it

ThrillsNSpills
01-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Definately from Wild Life soundtrack. The whole track below wasn't in the movie, just a section. Sounds great with Dave !

fryingdutchman
01-25-2012, 11:39 AM
So it is "Ripley"...which Ed did on his stereo Ripley guitar.

Cool.

Golden AWe
01-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Fookin' hell!!! Here's another preview!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/preview-van-halens-new-single-blood-and-fire-20120125

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tY7ZqN8Ksdg

Van Halen's new album A Different Kind of Truth will be released in less than two weeks. In the meantime, here's an exclusive 90-second preview of the LP's second single "Blood and Fire." The disc's first single "Tattoo" was based off the group's 1977 unreleased track "Down In Flames"; another track on the album, "She's The Woman," which the group played live at their recent secret show in New York City, was originally recorded as a demo in 1976.

So we offer a challenge to Van Halen's hardcore fans: Does this sound like a completely new song, or do you hear anything that sounds like an old riff or melody? To be very clear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a band using old material on a new album. Groups do it all the time and you can't plagiarize from yourself. In fact, many of Van Halen's most famous songs (including "Right Now") took elements out of older material. We're just curious to know how much of this Van Halen album was created with that process.

chefcraig
After some careful and considered deliberation, I have determined that I will ABSOLUTELY be taking Wednesday, February 8th off from work. It is highly unlikely I will entertain any thoughts of sleep the previous evening.

ROTH ON, YOU FUCKERS!

http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/music/music-107.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

kwame k
Al can still smoke 'em.

These 90 seconds are more interesting than the whole of "Tattoo".

Definitely a more complex song structure and the syncopated intro where the drums kick in, kinda threw me off on the first go around.........

vandeleur
Definately from Wild Life soundtrack. The whole track below wasn't in the movie, just a section. Sounds great with Dave !

Shit thats were ive heard it ..ripley ... always thought the tune was good , sounds killer with dave on

Am buzzed about this album

kwame k
01-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Its from the Wild Life soundtrack!!! Always liked this

Nailed it, bro:beers8:

Guitar Shark
01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Catchy tune...

VAiN
01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Is there a preview clip of fat-fucking-clown saying it could be better yet?

clarathecarrot
01-25-2012, 12:08 PM
-I KNOW- that will be on my portable player as I chill my scooter down the highway come spring time!

Nice!

kwame k
01-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Is there a preview clip of fat-fucking-clown saying it could be better yet?

God I hope so........

His opinion means so much to me:thumb:

So this is love
01-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Catchy tune...

At first I say its sounds like a Diver Down tune.

chefcraig
01-25-2012, 12:10 PM
By the way, the preview proves that the asswipe that posted this piece of shit a few weeks ago is not only a troll, but a self-serving twit as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZX0ZdH70-o&feature=related

VAiN
01-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Man, after a few listens - that is catchy as FUCK!! This is going to be a killer album! It really does sound like it could be on 1984... only VH can play a clean tone like that and still have it rock. Classic Al just pounding away on the crash! Beautiful!! :beers8:

DLR Bridge
01-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Always loved that tune and always thought it would be a bitch to lay words over. Leave it to the one and only to pull it off! Is it me or does his voice sound a pinch younger here? Could be from '00? I don't care really. I love it.

SNIPER
01-25-2012, 12:14 PM
By the way, the preview proves that the asswipe that posted this piece of shit a few weeks ago is not only a troll, but a self-serving twit as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZX0ZdH70-o&feature=related

Naw. After this leaked out VH had to go back and re write and record the song

SNIPER
01-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Anyway, I dig it. Has a Top Jimmy vibe to me. In fact I love it!! I was hoping Ed would not use a lot of that muffled down clean tone though, the kind used on Balance and 3.

guwapo_rocker
01-25-2012, 12:24 PM
I like it, kinda expected to hear Eddie Money in there at one point.

TAKIN WHISKEY
01-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Swwwweeeeeeeet!

ZahZoo
01-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Sounds promising... gimme more!!! ;)

Definitely got the Ripley vibe all over it. Interesting melody Dave's singing to... can't place it but it's got a familiar feel to it.

Dave's PA Rental
01-25-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm so fucking happy right now. I also immediately recognized it from The Wild Life...which made me feel better because Tattoo being from Down In Flames went right over my head at first...

Matt White
01-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Methinks I hear a "Women and Children First" kinda vibe in the way its mixed....with a "DIVER DOWN" kinda song structure...........

I get the feeling there are gonna be a number of songs EVH has kept in his back pocket...knowing that Spammy Haggis would never do 'em justice.......

DAVE & the von Halen's must have been...."Hey! Remember that one thing you were playing for me in my Dad's basement right before I split? Play that thing man......."

DLR Bridge
01-25-2012, 12:36 PM
I also liked that Rolling Stone said this- "To be very clear, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a band using old material on a new album. Groups do it all the time and you can't plagiarize from yourself."

As much as it's easy to trash that magazine, they still reach an aweful lot of people who don't know any better about certain things. I wasn't too thrilled with how they immediately poked at the band for Tattoo having a tie to their past. They never would've done that to Radiohead, Dylan or Springsteen, so, kudos for clearing that shit up.

Romeo Delight
01-25-2012, 12:37 PM
I get he feeling there are gonna be a number of songs EVH has kept in his back pocket...knowing that Spammy Haggis would never do 'em justice.......

DAVE & the von Halen's must have been...."Hey! Remember that one thing you were playing for me in my Dad's basement right before I split? Play that thing man......."

I was thinking the same thing. So cool

Carmine
01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
I havent been more excited for an album release in my life...

and uh...does Dave sound amazing or what?

Did ya all catch the "Look at all the people here tonight" in there?

Northern Girl
01-25-2012, 12:41 PM
No! I don't want any damn snippets! Well, at least I didn't have to watch a murder show to hear it! LMAO!

Love it! Sounds great! I am soooo happy!

I have no problem if the songs are reworks. I'm not a musician or songwriter, but I think that if you have unused material that you really love, it would be heartbreaking just to shelve it forever because it's not new.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-25-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm feeling a little "Top Jimmy" vibe, no ??

Warham
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I haven't heard this much bass on a VH album since Fair Warning.

Guitar Shark
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
This probably would have been a better first single than "Tattoo."

Guitar Shark
01-25-2012, 12:46 PM

Definitely, that was my first thought as well.

chefcraig
01-25-2012, 12:48 PM
I like it, kinda expected to hear Eddie Money in there at one point.

Shit, you're right. Definitely a little bit of "Two Tickets To Paradise" in there!

ThrillsNSpills
01-25-2012, 12:49 PM
I am getting the feeling there are going to be quite a few single releases from this album.

I'd say there's a bit of psychology involved with leaking out dribs and drabs the way they're doing.

Now I have hungry ear syndrome.

golitely
01-25-2012, 12:53 PM
What is this? Name that Tune? What's the prize for guessing right (I vote for getting concert tix costs reimbursed)? May they should release 20 secs more each day until the full song is revealed?

AccidentalAngel
01-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Love it! Anyone know when it will be released?

Hellraiser!!
01-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Look at all the people here tonight!!!!

That's "Ripley", man!!!! This song has a "Little Guitars" vibe.... and BTW, sounds even better than "Tattoo"...

sadaist
01-25-2012, 01:05 PM
So it is "Ripley"...which Ed did on his stereo Ripley guitar.

Cool.

SO FUCKING HAPPY!!

Always loved that little riff & tune from Eddie. So fucking stoked it's getting a proper release with DAVE making it perfect. Happy days my boys! Happy days indeed!

SNIPER
01-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Fuck yeah. This one did not have to grow on me at all, I liked it from the get go, but after hearing it 50 times I do even like it better somehow!! Happy fucking times bitches!! I feel fucking 13 again waiting for the follow up to 1984 and its all going down!! haha!!

Vinnie Velvet
01-25-2012, 01:14 PM
WHOA!!!!

AWESOME!!!

Shit man, I am jumping up and down like a motherfucker! I feel like a kid again people!!!!!

(*as I do my best Dave round-house kick impression*)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

minkahed
01-25-2012, 01:16 PM
This probably would have been a better first single than "Tattoo."
I was thinking the same thing!

Sound awesome too ...

The Diamond is back!

chefcraig
01-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Shit man, I am jumping up and down like a motherfucker! I feel like a kid again people!!!!!

(*as I do my best Dave round-house kick impression*)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Be careful with that. I knocked a lamp over and shattered the light bulb that way about 40 minutes ago.

Combat Ready
01-25-2012, 01:19 PM
This song has a "Little Guitars" vibe....

That was my first impression as well. Vocals sound great ......Fucking love what I hear!

Zing!
DAAAAAAAAAAAMN! Why wasn't this the first single? Don't get me wrong - love 'Tattoo' but this is so much better. Immediately thought: "Wild Life!" Always have loved 'Ripley' and wished it would make it onto a =VH= album. Dream come true... Dave's voice sounds stellar, and the off-beat timing of the song is definitely a throwback to the Diver Down days (with a pinch of Top Jimmy thrown in for good measure). Love it! Love it! Love it! Bring on A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH! Haven't been this excited for an album since 1996! Owww!

DiverDowninKy
Oh yeah! I 'm diggin it.....

Vinnie Velvet
01-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Be careful with that. I knocked a lamp over and shattered the light bulb that way about 40 minutes ago.

LMAO!!!

Wow. Just the energy that little snippet gave.....I am already smelling the burgs on the BBQ and seeing all the half naked chicks on the beach- that summertme air.....wow.....just wow.

Dave and VH deliver.

Combat Ready
01-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I think Kwame got it right. Would fit nicely on DD......Got that "Secrets" and "Little Guitar" feel.......

Where have all the good times gone? Well---sounds like they'll be back on the 7th.......Getting amped!!!

Floridaman1985
Man, that kicks ass. "I'm your wave tossed guy!"

Diamondjimi
1st day buyer, right here! :thumb:

Combat Ready
01-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Dave and VH deliver.

:rockit:

sadaist
01-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Man.....so stoked. Can't describe. Goosebumps hearing Eddie be EDDIE with Dave singing along. Been so long. Too long. Feels fucking great! Dave has a way of making his lyrics help the cool guitar parts stand out even better rather than singing over them & drowning them out.

mewisemagic
01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
You listen to this and Little Guitars side by side and Dave sounds as good on one as the other...

First thought it was Donut City and then realized it was Ripley after someone posted it here (love all the stuff from "The Wild Life" soundtrack")...

Anyway..I give it two thumbs and a cock up and are convinced we have Platinum!

binnie
01-25-2012, 01:40 PM
After the 18th listen I can report that my pants are sticky......

Full Bug
01-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Sweet! As some have mentioned it stuck me as well of having a Diver Down feel, I still cannot believe I am listening to new VH with Dave....:thumb:

SNIPER
01-25-2012, 01:47 PM
I dig the high harmony back ups during the verse vocals. Thats the classic VH formula right there!! Mike who!?? LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Zing!
01-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Covered in goosebumps right now after the second listen. So very, very VAN HALEN. This little clip is more Van Halen than anything Van Halen has done since 'House of Pain' faded out at the end of 1984. You listen to this sample of Blood & Fire and you just KNOW that Ed is going to melt your damn face off with his solo. I'm already scheduling an appointment with my plastic surgeon to have my face put back together...

SNIPER
01-25-2012, 01:49 PM
And I am so glad there is no echo effect on guitars!!!

SNIPER
01-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Covered in goosebumps right now after the second listen. So very, very VAN HALEN. This little clip is more Van Halen than anything Van Halen has done since 'House of Pain' faded out at the end of 1984. You listen to this sample of Blood & Fire and you just KNOW that Ed is going to melt your damn face off with his solo. I'm already scheduling an appointment with my plastic surgeon to have my face put back together...

God damn right!!! HA!!

jero
01-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Dave sounds so good!!!

Combat Ready
01-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Dave sounds so good!!!

Fuck Yes! Makes Van Halen sound like.......VAN HALEN!

Floridaman1985
01-25-2012, 02:07 PM
I loved Tattoo, but that 90 second preview blows it right out of the water!

So this is love
01-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Ok after my Third listen ....This song has a summer feel to it....Ed and Dave sound great....Very different than Tattoo which I like too...The only negative is I fucking hate snippets... Can`t wait for the whole cd to arrive.

hain23x
01-25-2012, 02:13 PM
I was always a sucker for this riff back in the day. We recorded it off the tv with a boom box back in the day and looped it over and over then drove around with the windows down on a nice afternoon. Adding Dave to it just amps up that schmaltzy magic that they were always able to work with things like simple rhyme, little guitars, etc.

can't wait for this record!

Vinnie Velvet
01-25-2012, 02:19 PM
The power of Dave shines all over this tune.

VAN HALEN BABY!!!!

ThrillsNSpills
01-25-2012, 02:20 PM
I was always a sucker for this riff back in the day. We recorded it off the tv with a boom box back in the day

Yep....Line out of the back of the VCR. Funny thing is that movie's not available on DVD today due to music copyright issues.

Northern Girl
01-25-2012, 02:22 PM
They came through blood and fire, for sure!

jhale667
01-25-2012, 02:23 PM

I thought the same thing...dig it!

ALMOSTsaved
01-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Yep....Line out of the back of the VCR. Funny thing is that movie's not available on DVD today due to music copyright issues.

Every so often it comes on some of the Cinemax HD Channels. My girlfriend surprised me by DVR'ing it one night and I ripped it to DVD. Back in the day I wore the VHS copy of it out.

VAiN
01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
LOVE IT! It's as familiar as the roof of your mouth is to you... goddamn!! I want to hear the solo!! Ed is back and firing on all cylinders!! Glorious days!

VanHalenI
01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
I just Erupted in my pants, Ripley would have been a good name for this song though. Diamond sound so cool!!

jero
01-25-2012, 02:35 PM
This is classic Van Halen! Hands down!!!

DLR'sCock
01-25-2012, 02:40 PM
No! I don't want any damn snippets! Well, at least I didn't have to watch a murder show to hear it! LMAO!

Love it! Sounds great! I am soooo happy!

I have no problem if the songs are reworks. I'm not a musician or songwriter, but I think that if you have unused material that you really love, it would be heartbreaking just to shelve it forever because it's not new.

Everyone does it....from the large artist to us little people.......most song writers have books of old stuff....i know i do......i know friends do, it's just how it is.......and this is how VH has done it many many times.........this song makes me think of cruising down the highway with the top down in the summer or late spring........I AM SO STOKED FOR THIS NEW ALBUM...........oh how the naysayers will eat so much crow....

Luke D
01-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Have had this on repeat all day. The chorus kicks ass, and Dave sounds awesome!

DLR'sCock
01-25-2012, 02:52 PM
I love how Dave sings....."now look at all of the people, here tonight..." at the end of the chorus.....

Angel
01-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Everyone does it....from the large artist to us little people.......most song writers have books of old stuff....i know i do......i know friends do, it's just how it is.......and this is how VH has done it many many times.........this song makes me think of cruising down the highway with the top down in the summer or late spring........I AM SO STOKED FOR THIS NEW ALBUM...........oh how the naysayers will eat so much crow....I agree, and it's something all writers do, not just song-writers. My ex had bags of stuff, from full songs, to lines jotted down on a napkin. I have files of my little snippets too, although not nearly as much as song-writers tend to accumulate. You don't hear about other bands re-worked stuff because they don't have the same rabid fans digging as deep as they can go just to find any glimmer of hope... ;)

FORD
01-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Ever since 1985, I thought that "Ripley" riff should have been a proper Van Halen song. Now, it finally is.

Praise Jesus!

(And Dave, Eddie, Alex, and Wolfie too!)

Angel
01-25-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm still in awe over what the fans are getting from them, and this song feels like it's for the fans. I can't believe I'm even fucking saying that, for fucks sakes. But whether I'm right or wrong, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy, and hope like hell I find a way to get to see this tour, and I'm happy to say a BIG part of that is because I REALLY want to see Wolfgang live. I LOVE a really GREAT bass solo, and by that I don't mean swinging your instrument around your head. I have a feeling the kid's going to blow some minds this time around, and I want to be able to say I was there when both generations did so.

if6was9
01-25-2012, 03:20 PM
"Ripley" always was my favourite unreleased track. However, Van Halen in "Blood and Fire" don't sound like a real band. It's like Ed & Al had recorded background and then Dave recorded his vocal. These two parts just don't fit together.

DLR Bridge
01-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Ever since 1985, I thought that "Ripley" riff should have been a proper Van Halen song. Now, it finally is.

Brings a tear to the ol' eye, don't it? Damn, I hope a piano doesn't fall on my head before the 7th.

DLR Bridge
01-25-2012, 03:25 PM
"Ripley" always was my favourite unreleased track. However, Van Halen in "Blood and Fire" don't sound like a real band. It's like Ed & Al had recorded background and then Dave recorded his vocal. These two parts just don't fit together.

I seem to recall you weren't so thrilled with Tattoo right off the bat. Now look at you, Mr. Tattoo avatar! Give it time pal, and Remember, this is only a 90 second clip. Patience!

SNIPER
01-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Just played it through my desk top with the big bass speakers, It is a big beefy mother fucker and wolfie is thumping. Much better than my lap top speakers.

vandeleur
01-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Brings a tear to the ol' eye, don't it? Damn, I hope a piano doesn't fall on my head before the 7th.

like in zombieland lol

Zing!
01-25-2012, 03:30 PM

I don't get that at all. If nothing else, I thought 'Tattoo' was a little too polished sounding, far more than 'Blood And Fire,' like they weren't in the same building when it was recorded. 'Blood And Fire' sounds to my ears like vintage Van Halen - like what I always imagined a classic 7-Pack song would sound like. I think maybe what is throwing you for loop (just a suggestion - so take it for what it's worth) is that we are all so familiar with 'Ripley,' that hearing it with lyrics is kind of jarring. I know I always thought it was a good enough hook to be on an =VH= album, but I never thought they'd be able to pull off words to the song - I always figured it would be an instrumental, just like on the movie. Leave it to Dave to come up with exactly the right mood, exactly the right summer-time vibe, exactly the right vintage 1985 attitude to fit the song. I think it all fits together perfectly from the little clip we have to work with!

if6was9
01-25-2012, 03:38 PM
I seem to recall you weren't so thrilled with Tattoo right off the bat. Now look at you, Mr. Tattoo avatar! Give it time pal, and Remember, this is only a 90 second clip. Patience!

You recall correctly, I wasn't thrilled. Let's pray this one is a "grower", too :)

BTW, it's just an impression, but I think Al & Ed haven't changed a single note in this track. This is not how the band should work.

fourthcoming
01-25-2012, 03:43 PM
At first I say its sounds like a Diver Down tune.

Couldn't agree with you more.....has a Diver Down/1984 feel

joetas
01-25-2012, 03:44 PM
UK peeps can get it here! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0071GGI1Q/ref=dm_sp_alb?ie=UTF8&qid=1327523002&sr=1-1 aswell as The Trouble With Never!

fourthcoming
01-25-2012, 03:47 PM
After some careful and considered deliberation, I have determined that I will ABSOLUTELY be taking Wednesday, February 8th off from work. It is highly unlikely I will entertain any thoughts of sleep the previous evening.

ROTH ON, YOU FUCKERS!

http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/music/music-107.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

Shit man, I may stack up my vacation time and take the whole month of February off.....I am going to be completely distracted at work anyway.

Sensible Shoes
Joe, it won't sell it to us here in the U.S. but thanks for the tip on "the Trouble with Never". Nobody's heard that yet as far as I know.

DLR Bridge
You recall correctly, I wasn't thrilled. Let's pray this one is a "grower", too :)

BTW, it's just an impression, but I think Al & Ed haven't changed a single note in this track. This is not how the band should work.

I know what you mean. I'd like to think that they didn't just say, "ok Dave, these are done. Sing over'em". I'm sure his requests for shortening or lengthening parts and moving things around are taken into account.

SNIPER
Holy shit!! "The Trouble With Never" fucking kills!!!!!!!!

joetas
01-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Its a rockin' solo and spoken word bit from dave love it!!

Dunno why i never posted on here before!

Joe

SNIPER
01-25-2012, 03:51 PM
The Trouble With Never sounds like it has a way groovy verse right when it cuts off!! I wanna hear all this shit now god dammit!!

fourthcoming
01-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Anyway, I dig it. Has a Top Jimmy vibe to me. In fact I love it!! I was hoping Ed would not use a lot of that muffled down clean tone though, the kind used on Balance and 3.

Definitely a Top Jimmy feel to Blood and Fire and The Trouble With Never just ripped my fuckin head off after a 30 second clip!!!! Damn......THIS is what we have been missing all these years!!!! Classic lyrics..."When you turn on the stereo does it return the favor" and classic VH background vocals.

SunisinuS
01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
That's the Trouble with Never! When was the last time you saw me for the first time!

:killer:

Lol sounds a little like "Showtime"! And that is a good thing!

DLR Bridge
01-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Dammit! I can't hear it. Does it sound like anything else?

slimdon
01-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Thank you Van Halen for more blues skies and sunshine. I got a tan just from listening to the clip!

fourthcoming
01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Does anyone else have a huge shit eating grin plastered to their face right now? I feel like a friggin teenager again......unbelievable. Is it summertime yet cuz Van Halen always feels like summertime to me.

SNIPER
01-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Does anyone else have a huge shit eating grin plastered to their face right now? I feel like a friggin teenager again......unbelievable. Is it summertime yet cuz Van Halen always feels like summertime to me.

I know I do!!

Sensible Shoes
01-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Does anyone else have a huge shit eating grin plastered to their face right now?

So bad I want to get my teeth whitened.

Is it summertime yet cuz Van Halen always feels like summertime to me.

By the time the concerts get rolling it will be as good as summer. This stuff is all making winter nonexistant.

ZahZoo
01-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Dammit! I can't hear it. Does it sound like anything else?

Yeah it reminds me of angels singing and heaven's parting right about that microsecond before you pop your nut...

Warham
01-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Eddie's facebook page has a better quality clip for "Blood & Fire".

http://www.facebook.com/eddievanhalen

Wolfgang just rips on this track.

hain23x
01-25-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm loving all the new stuf but on this track in particualr can't you just hear Mikey's high harmony coming in on the end of the line "the stakes have never been high"?. It's almost like a ghost moment for me. Like if you lost an arm and still itched. other than that it's fantastic

ToraToraTora
01-25-2012, 06:27 PM
There's a spoken bit in Blood and Fire where Dave says, " See told you i was coming back" and i admit it, i had a tear in my eye. Wonderful stuff!

Zing!
01-25-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm having early 80's flashbacks. Sitting in study hall talking about the best parts of the new Van Halen album. Next thing I know I'll be doodling the classic =VH= logo on my desk with a pencil (except the wifey would probably not approve).

It seems safe to say that if all of the previewed tracks so far haven't met or exceeded most everyone's expectations, then Dave's masterful handling of the PR certainly has! What a banner day to be a Van Halen fan, I say!

chefcraig
01-25-2012, 06:42 PM
The timing of when that "Ripley" track was leaked to the net about a year ago is interesting. That could have been around the time VH were recording this new version.

Halen High
01-25-2012, 06:46 PM
When the VHND put Ripley up on their site about a year ago, I played it about 30-40 times. Loved it, even without vocals and lyrics. Hearing Blood and Fire this morning with Dave singing and what they've done with it just blew me away. Reminds me of Little Guitars and generally how the band sounded during the late CVH era. So far, I love everything I've heard. This could be a great album.

Halen High
01-25-2012, 06:48 PM
The timing of when that "Ripley" rack was leaked to the net about a year ago is interesting. That could have been around the time VH were recording this new version.

I think Jeff at the VHND had been told something. It seems too coincidental.

Yount
01-25-2012, 07:09 PM
my first listen - don't laugh!

You can always tell the winners
Saints and the sinners
Down at the starting line
I’m a lucid vision
I’ll be your forgiven
I’m your wave tossed guy
Keep right we was runnin’
Double by the dozen
The stakes have never been higher
Come back when you’re younger
‘cause I can feel the thunder
1800-it’s time

ooh yeah!
We can through blood and fire

Now look at all the people here tonight! Ahh!
It’s a world of folk
But that’s just what’s expected
Nada from nowhere
Or even suspected
God must love the lazy, shifters and the crazy
Put so many in high

Oooh yyyyeaaaahhhh!

Northern Girl
01-25-2012, 07:15 PM
We came, we came, we came through blood and fire!

hain23x
01-25-2012, 07:18 PM
me+bourbon+this lil clip+25 years of waiting =an embarising hot mess lol

Northern Girl
01-25-2012, 07:22 PM
embarising

Yes, that's embarrassing! LOL

j/k I don't give a fuck about spelling or grammar!

Warham
01-25-2012, 07:36 PM
We came, we came, we came through blood and fire!

I just love the way you type that.

Panamark
01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
2nd sip of coffee and listened to Blood and Fire sample, didnt kick me in the guts like Trouble with Never,
but it made me smile, same as Tattoo. Grower for sure.

WARF
01-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Gettin new leaks here and there is like opening christmas presents everyday!

fryingdutchman
01-25-2012, 07:49 PM

Saints and the sinners
I’m a lucid vision
I’ll be your forgiven
I’m your wave tossed guy
Double by the dozen
1800-it’s time

ooh yeah!

It’s a world of folk
Nada from nowhere
Or even suspected
Put so many in high

Oooh yyyyeaaaahhhh!

A good first swipe!!

I think it's "trouble by the dozen" though....

wiseguy
01-25-2012, 07:52 PM
....This song has a summer feel to it....Ed and Dave sound great....

Oh ya it does!!!
Now I want my convertible out of storage....god damn it!!! Stupid snow.

SunisinuS
01-25-2012, 07:59 PM
UK peeps can get it here! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0071GGI1Q/ref=dm_sp_alb?ie=UTF8&qid=1327523002&sr=1-1 aswell as The Trouble With Never!

So What Does it sound like Man or Woman?

:hail:

DONNIEP
01-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Damn I love this song!!! If this had come out back in the day it definitely would have been the soundtrack to waaayyy too many Fridays, skipping school and heading to the lake with a cooler full of beer! :gulp:

wiseguy
01-25-2012, 08:00 PM

Saints and the sinners
I’m a lucid vision
I’ll be your forgiven
I’m your wave tossed guy
Double by the dozen
1800-it’s time

ooh yeah!

It’s a world of folk
Nada from nowhere
Or even suspected
Put so many in high

Oooh yyyyeaaaahhhh!

Wow, thats impressive...
How the fuck do you do that?? I have such a bad ear for Daves lyrics.

WARF
01-25-2012, 08:02 PM
CSI: Is about to come on.... let's pray that , "Stay Frosty" is alot better than the gay title!

DONNIEP
01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
There is no other band on the planet that could go 29 freaking years between records and sound this fucking awesome!! Van Halen - there is no substitute!

Yount
01-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Wow, thats impressive...
How the fuck do you do that?? I have such a bad ear for Daves lyrics.

when you've tattooed every Dave lyric into your brain and sung 'em all too 'til the cows come home, I guess it's a little easier to predict him and focus.
But I reckon i'm only 75% right. Dave never gives it to you CLEAR like all cool blues vocalists. (I too have been singing "Swamp meat salad, trans land fat, mousse swell to yum swell in the time it takes to get that new cat too. Cat too, Cat too. Sexy drunken legend. Cat too, cat too. So damn autobiographic!")

ELVIS
01-25-2012, 08:53 PM

Yep!

And dude, brother!

This album is gonna KICK SOME ASS!!!

:elvis:

dazzlindino
01-25-2012, 08:56 PM
awww elvis really does like davey ...after all....hes on his fookin elbo....

78/84 guy
01-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Stay Frosty will be on CSI tonight acording to VHND !!!

Northern Girl
01-25-2012, 09:02 PM
awww elvis really does like davey ...after all....hes on his fookin elbo....

he's actually on his Achilles

Northern Girl
01-25-2012, 09:06 PM

There is actually a thread with that name...please remove MN from your location if you can't keep up! ;)

78/84 guy
01-25-2012, 09:07 PM
There is actually a thread with that name...please remove MN from your location if you can't keep up! ;)

I looked !! To much happening around here every time something comes out !! I'm not a very smart man but I do know what love is Northern Girl !!

hain23x
01-25-2012, 09:50 PM
did I mention i got drunk but still managed to get this one dowloaded from amazon.uk !!!????

fuck those badtoofed mutherfukers!!!!! lol

bourbon!!

fifth element
01-25-2012, 10:06 PM
have heard it and am still checking out CSI....curious as to how tyhey have it set up.

DLR'sCock
01-25-2012, 11:29 PM
full versions of the trouble with never.......and blood and fire.........

Link Removed

oh yeah kiddies, they are BACK!!!!

guitarplayer29
01-25-2012, 11:38 PM
I love this tune, and Dave sounds fantastic. Same with Stay Frosty. Man, I can't wait to hear the rest of the record. It bums me out to think of what might have been had Sammy not eneterd the picture, but as Dave would say...."That's Life." I just can't believe the wait is over. I'm beside myself!!!

gbranton
01-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Oh ya it does!!!
Now I want my convertible out of storage....god damn it!!! Stupid snow.

Or even better, I have a car with t-tops, the ultimate 1980's option. Take those tops out and CRUISE!

IceCreamBlondie
01-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Agree with a lot of your comments here.. GOOD STUFF!!!

Vinnie Velvet
01-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Hearing the full versions of Trouble with Never and Blood and Fire......

WOW.

I am speechless.

DLR'sCock
01-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Who would have thought after all these years of being here.........and waiting...........it's here......i'm floored..........i love blood and fire.....that solo...........jeez....

Yount
01-26-2012, 12:08 AM
full versions of the trouble with never.......and blood and fire.........

Link Removed

oh yeah kiddies, they are BACK!!!!

dang link don't work no more

DLR'sCock
01-26-2012, 12:10 AM
scroll over the icon....of the album cover in the upper left corner and hit play and prepare yourself!!!

Yount
01-26-2012, 12:14 AM
it says loading.... come on you bastard!!

DLR'sCock
01-26-2012, 12:34 AM
it says loading.... come on you bastard!!

odd....i have listened to each about ten times per song.......

ThatArtGuy
01-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Finally heard the full track for "Blood and Fire." HOLY FUCK! (I *never* say that.) 28 FUCKIN' YEARS!!! When the bridge came in, Dave started rappin', and then Ed just TEARS IT... I cried. I literally shed tears. HOLY FUCKING WOW, man.

Thank you, soooooo much Van Halen. This is like audio sunshine for the person that has been shunned for decades. I don't know if I can listen to it again until this all finally sinks in.

Holy freakin' fuck.

TAG

DLR'sCock
01-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Finally heard the full track for "Blood and Fire." HOLY FUCK! (I *never* say that.) 28 FUCKIN' YEARS!!! When the bridge came in, Dave started rappin', and then Ed just TEARS IT... I cried. I literally shed tears. HOLY FUCKING WOW, man.

Thank you, soooooo much Van Halen. This is like audio sunshine for the person that has been shunned for decades. I don't know if I can listen to it again until this all finally sinks in.

Holy freakin' fuck.

TAG

the bridge section into the solo section just KILLS!!!!!!

Yount
01-26-2012, 12:53 AM
yeah a different link i tried but it worked this time! bonza tunes!!

Thanks DLR Army!

ThatArtGuy
01-26-2012, 01:09 AM
It's 1984 all over again... my GOD! Nothing else I can say.

Yount
01-26-2012, 01:28 AM
2nd lyrics... now that i've heard the FULL track (I just love lyrics!!)

Forgotten empires
Lost victories long past
Everytime I’ve bloomed again
I thought I was the last
And then something crazy happened
And Boom!
I’m doing the victory dance

Told you I was coming back!

Say it like you mean it

Repeat 1st verse

WE CAME THROUGH BLOOD AND FIRE!!

LUDWIG USA
01-26-2012, 01:34 AM
Man, I just just listened to the full length blood and fire track and I feel a little pinch of a Who vibe in there.....I can hear a little bit of Keith Moon in the drumming......fuck'in Wild!!!!!!!!!!!

ashstralia
01-26-2012, 02:28 AM
i'm beginning to understand how 'tattoo' might work thematically in all this...genius song, that first one.

aint listening to one more internet leak. i'll wait till i can sit on my couch in the studio and blast it from start to finish with the cover art in my hands.
live in front of my naked steaming eyes and ears.

DavidLeeNatra
01-26-2012, 02:31 AM
did ed once complain about the crowd going dead silent when they played the new songs? don't you worry, ed...just don't...this shit will rock the hell out of every venue!!!

play'em and smile!

"We came, we came, we came through blood and fire!!!"

wiseguy
01-26-2012, 02:46 AM
Or even better, I have a car with t-tops, the ultimate 1980's option. Take those tops out and CRUISE!
I hear that my brutha'. 3 months 2 go. Can you guess who will be headlining that concert in my car at a buck 30?

Stay frosty now.

if6was9
01-26-2012, 03:55 AM

Same with me. I've just listened to the whole track on VH Radio and it's completety different animal than the preview. My theory is that they keep using the worst parts of the songs to promote the album. Strange strategy...

BTW, at 2:00 the track becomes... I don't know... BEAUTIFUL - it's the only word I can find.

GreenBayLA
01-26-2012, 04:30 AM
:sign0011: Prefer to hear the new album in it's entirety (duh) but I can't resist the snippets.

Yount
01-26-2012, 04:54 AM
This album is going to be HUGE! "Blood and Fire" is stellar! Tell your friends... and your enemies!

Seshmeister
01-26-2012, 04:57 AM
did ed once complain about the crowd going dead silent when they played the new songs? don't you worry, ed...just don't...this shit will rock the hell out of every venue!!!

Well when the new songs were stuff like 'Up for breakfast' he's lucky they didn't walk out.

DavidLeeNatra
01-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Well when the new songs were stuff like 'Up for breakfast' he's lucky they didn't walk out.

there has never been such a thing as "Up for shitfest"...never...I just woke up from a nightmare...the sky is blue and everything is fine!

binnie
01-26-2012, 05:13 AM
'She put the cream in the coffee.....'

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

fourthcoming
01-26-2012, 08:04 AM
I am completely speechless......Blood and Fire....instant VH classic......Trouble with Never....so f'ing heavy!!!! I don't know what else to say.....I can't concentrate on work right now.....I'm ready to load up the cooler, grab the surf board and head to the beach.....who's coming? Remember when everyone was complaining that VH had no idea how to market a new album in the internet age because there were no snippets out there? Thank god for Uncle Dave.......Eddie's guitar sounds heavy as fuck too....and Alex's drums on Blood and Fire are incredible....Wolf's bass on Trouble with Never is amazing.....guess that's the sound Ed wanted all those years back when he wanted Billy Sheehan to join and match his guitar note for note like Dave had him matching up with Vai on Eat Em'.

Zing!
01-26-2012, 09:38 AM
So I was on my way to the gas station this morning for my ritual cup of joe, singing the chorus: 'we came, we came, we came, through blood and fiiiiiiirrrrrrrrre...' when I passed a hearse going the other way. I says to myself: "There goes Van Hagar."

Va Beach VH Fan
01-26-2012, 09:39 AM
All, I am going to remove this link from here...

THE Roth Army is not going to jeopardize our relationship with Diamond Dave Enterprises by linking to illegally downloaded Van Halen songs....

I hope you can understand that.....

So please, do not link to that site on here again....

You want to go to there on your own, go right ahead.....

Thanks....

ELVIS
01-26-2012, 09:41 AM
That's cool...

I already have the songs on my iphone anyway...

:elvis:

Zing!
01-26-2012, 09:44 AM

Forgotten empires
Lost victories long past
I thought I was the last
And Boom!

Told you I was coming back!

Say it like you mean it

Repeat 1st verse

WE CAME THROUGH BLOOD AND FIRE!!

Every hair on my body just stood on end reading that...

ELVIS
01-26-2012, 09:47 AM
And muppets are pretty hairy...

Angel
01-26-2012, 01:20 PM
I REFUSE to illegally download...but damn it's hard not to just grab 'em, burn 'em and get in the car!!!!!

Zing!
01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
They pretty much have to play 'Blood And Fire' live. I don't see how they can avoid it, considering Dave's lyrics pretty much sum up the last 26 years or so for Van Halen and their fans. Plus it's got that arena rock chorus that can easily be sung along to, makes you feel good, and I demand it (just in case that counts for anything).

ZahZoo
01-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Some have speculated we'll only see a few of the new songs on tour... that would be very, very disappointing. Of the clips and full songs released to date, every damn one of them would be great live!!! Given my choice... perform the whole damn new record and fill the rest with classics.

DLR Bridge
01-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Aaaaagreed!

Zing!
01-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Based on what we've heard so far, I couldn't agree more. Perform Stay Frosty, She's The Woman, Tattoo, The Trouble With Never, and Blood And Fire and drop Jump, Pretty Woman, I'll Wait, Running With The Devil, and Dance The Night Away. I would have no problem with that whatsoever.

Vinnie Velvet
01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
I suspect that in addition to Tattoo, they will play:

She's the Woman (which could take the place of Mean Street)
Blood and Fire
Stay Frosty (taking the place of Ice Cream Man)

bru87tr
01-26-2012, 05:01 PM
I love Blood and Fire!

moose
01-26-2012, 05:09 PM
I disagree zing.....keep RWTD in the set list.
The rest won't be missed

moose
01-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Not gonna download........
gonna wait until the album is released to hear the complete tunes..

DLR Bridge
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Just left work. Told the cleaning lady to stay frosty.

wiseguy
01-26-2012, 06:15 PM

Oh yes you did!!

Zing!
01-26-2012, 07:02 PM

Heh heh. That's awesome. I think I'll start saying that to everyone too. It's going to be the catch-phrase of 2012...might as well get the trend rolling.

bru87tr
01-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Some have speculated we'll only see a few of the new songs on tour... that would be very, very disappointing. Of the clips and full songs released to date, every damn one of them would be great live!!! Given my choice... perform the whole damn new record and fill the rest with classics.

That is the way they should do it, old school.

DJBrown
01-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Sounds very cool! And thats Blood and Fire

To me, this sounds very much like a mix of In a Simple Rhyme and Little Guitars.

It has been a long 26 years. Love it.

SNIPER
01-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Still my fav so far

vandeleur
01-27-2012, 04:34 AM
So i have dropped the dudes off at school and between checking out the yummy mummies i bang my head phones on and start playing blood and fire .... yeah no shit it rocks ..but as am, walking home i get to thinking of the video .. so here goes .

My take on the song is it works on lots of levels as daves lyrics tend to do but the obvious one is nostalga mixed with celebratory glory .. a bit of " damn good times"
Am going with the whole it looked like we fucked this but hey we got off the floor and were throwing bombs. And am not just saying this is about dave this is just as much about ed ...ie sped 2004 drunk hobo hole in the shoe , next on the dead pool mutherfuker.
And i would think ed would get that in the lyrics .. he cant be ignorant in the he is as much in the last chance saloon as anyone if not more.
So the video :
It starts with a cheesey ray harryhausen scene of rubbish dinosaurs and with the big bold tag line "28 years in the making" and then the riff starts and it goes though the whole CVH era with pics .. but the iconic ones and the funny dave ones, even pics of wolf when he was young etc .
Then cut to the future of them in the studio for the chorus .
The middle 8 there on stage playing . with dave talking to the audience at the end saying told you i was coming back .
The solo is cuts of ed over the years ending with him blazing away now .
The rest of the vidoe is live ...
Ending with the cheesey titles over the end chords " did you miss us were back "

hey what the fuck .....its my two peneth :rockon:

ashstralia
01-27-2012, 04:41 AM
To me, this sounds very much like a mix of In a Simple Rhyme and Little Guitars.

It has been a long 26 years. Love it.

whoa! nice first post, mate! i agree.

bru87tr
01-29-2012, 09:45 AM
I know someone posted the full lyrics to this song, but I can't find them in here.

Anyone point me ?

bru87tr
01-29-2012, 09:52 AM
I can't get enough of Blood & Fire, I know I have said it many times.

It should be the next single, instant hit!!!

I get goosebumps when Dave says "Told Ya I was Comin' Back", "Told Ya"! :)

Seshmeister
01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/tY7ZqN8Ksdg?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/tY7ZqN8Ksdg?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

bluemustard
01-31-2012, 03:58 AM
:)

Edited

Panamark
01-31-2012, 06:56 AM
G'day Bluemustard, we are officially connected with Diamond Dave Enterprises now !
Who would have thought it ?
Sorry I had to delete that link... (Unofficial, hope you are not offended)

Only a few days now... !!! :biggrin:

Carmine
01-31-2012, 06:59 AM
Blue...as much as I dig this song...a Mod is gonna come along and remove it, buddy. No illegals can be posted bro...

Update: link above has been "Pana-Poofed!"

lol...

Panamark
01-31-2012, 07:04 AM
Cant wait for it all to be legit for the "never say die" faithful
like our good old mate Bluemustard !

hain23x
01-31-2012, 08:19 PM
When I first heard this clip I was literally transported to when I was about 16 with some really good friends who were big VH fans and we learned this song from a boom box recording of that movie.

That feeling really came out of nowhere and it caught me off guard. It was an amazing moment.

Anyway, this is what it reminded me of when this hard nosed critic eats the food. Now, if you take the time to watch this clip, I'm actually the critic AND the former chef undercover at the other table except I'm scoffing and saying "Ripley?"

Julius
02-01-2012, 12:05 AM

Forgotten empires
Lost victories long past
I thought I was the last
And Boom!

Dave seems to be singing his best Sting impression in this verse.

DLR'sCock
02-01-2012, 10:17 AM
This song is one of the best tracks on the album, but then again.....I haven't heard full clips of the other songs.

chi-town324
02-05-2012, 12:14 PM
not afraid to say i got a little emotional after listening to this song a few times...took me right back to my younger days....god i love this band...a little nuts maybe too...LOL

Golden AWe
02-05-2012, 05:40 PM
The more I listen to it..the more I like it. It also sounds more and more like Diver Down to me, like the better songs on that album. Better than "Where have all the good times gone", almost as good as "Full Bug" and "Little Guitars".

Yount
02-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Love this song!
Hope it's a single and video, that would be cool. It's a song for the fans.

Combat Ready
02-06-2012, 11:45 PM
The more I listen to it..the more I like it. It also sounds more and more like Diver Down to me, like the better songs on that album. Better than "Where have all the good times gone", almost as good as "Full Bug" and "Little Guitars".

Has that Simple Rhyme, Little Guitars, Hear about it Later "feel" to me.....Gets better with every listen!

Yount
02-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Eddie's final chord in "Blood and fire" is amazing. Yes, Little guitars feel fo sure! Wanna see your little guitars, sing to me.

Seshmeister
02-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Still my favourite song on the album, brilliant writing by Dave.

Combat Ready
02-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Still my favourite song on the album, brilliant writing by Dave.

Good call Sesh.....Agreed!

VanHalener
02-07-2012, 03:52 PM
-Outstanding-

A serious contender for my favorite song on the album.

=Roth & Roll=

golitely
02-08-2012, 12:17 PM
My favorite so far and it begs to be done live..about 3 songs in, the audience response to the cues will be over the top.

78/84 guy
02-17-2012, 08:52 PM
I don't love this one. Good tune but I don't love it & would rather hear other new stuff live.

Zing!
03-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Seriously hoping they get this into the set by the time 5/19 rolls around. Definitely needs to be a single - but closer to summertime.

I think they need to hire Spielberg to direct a video for this one. Like one of those old-school short movie vids that lasted about ten minutes with actors and sets and the works. Have a retro 80's southern California vibe to it culminating with live footage in LA from the current tour. Well, they probably couldn't get The Bearded One as he's pretty booked up. But I bet they could get John Landis!

VanHalenI
03-04-2012, 11:30 AM
One of my favorites off the album great lyrics. Ain't no better than that.

golitely
03-08-2012, 10:58 AM
I admit, I'm slow on the uptake. Finally got that breathing he does after the "Look at all the people here tonite" is supposed to sound like a crowd cheering. Still my favorite so far.

Full Bug
03-08-2012, 11:23 AM
At the moment I cannot decide if 'Blood and Fire' is my favorite, its that or 'As Is' or 'Stay Frosty', these 3 songs blow my mind.....Well, the whole album does so....
For some reason I cannot get into 'Chinatown', maybe it will grow on me....

DLR Bridge
03-08-2012, 11:37 AM
As Is is my favorite, but for some reason, I think I would like to hear more songs from them done in the vain of Blood & Fire, should we ever get another batch. This song is the perfect blend of 1985 and now.

sadaist
03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
'As Is' or 'Stay Frosty',

#3 & #4 are fighting it out right now for me. It's Big River and Honeybabysweetiedoll. Blood and Fire is coming in at #5, and rounding out the #6 spot is You And Your Blues.

This has been Kasey kasem and we'll see you all next week.............

BenJammin
03-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Love Blood & Fire as well as the rest of the album, but gotta say something is bothering me here.

I won't say exactly, but listen carefully to the background vocals at 3:54, does that sound suspect to anyone?

SNIPER
03-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Love Blood & Fire as well as the rest of the album, but gotta say something is bothering me here.

I won't say exactly, but listen carefully to the background vocals at 3:54, does that sound suspect to anyone?

I listened to that section a few times with head phones. I can't make anything out of it. What do you hear?

SNIPER
03-08-2012, 03:13 PM
I love this song!

BenJammin
03-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Sorry for the suspense, but I'm gonna let it go for a day before I say it.

SNIPER
03-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Okay, fair enuff.

DLR Bridge
03-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm gonna listen to that 2 second part 500 times on the train ride home tonite.

Full Bug
03-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Personally, I think the weakest song on the album is 'Outta Space'.....

vandeleur
03-08-2012, 05:55 PM
blood and fire is my fav song on the album ....... or cd or am showing my age .

sadaist
03-08-2012, 06:05 PM

I kinda dig Outta Space. I think it was originally penned by my ex-wifes blue jeans.

gbranton
03-08-2012, 06:15 PM

........And personally, it's my favorite.

vandeleur
03-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Lmao..

vandeleur
03-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Oh that was to sadist blue jeans gag it took forever to come through on the iPhone

knuckleboner
03-08-2012, 10:12 PM
i wish this song was on tour. almost kind of seems like the van halen anthem. the last quarter century we've been through blood and fire. but he told us he'd be back. and now look at all of the people here tonight. this thing should be LIVE!

vanshipman
03-08-2012, 10:45 PM
I love Outta Space as well, would make a great opening song. Blood and Fire is just great, I've learned that one and will be making my own instrumental version of it, just for fun. A very fun song to play.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pbrag1

BenJammin
03-09-2012, 08:51 AM
I listened to that section a few times with head phones. I can't make anything out of it. What do you hear?

Okay, I know I'm going way out on a limb here but here goes.... sounds like Sam there.

Okay, okay simma' down! I know it sounds crazy and one would think "why in the hell would they do that?" and Dave would rather slit his own throat than have anything from Sam on his record.

Don't know if it was a mistake (they did a LOT of mixing on this album, right?) or some stupid contractual thing because maybe Spam worked on some part of that song in another form and they were forced to 'hide' him in the mix somewhere to keep him off their back, dunno.

But to my stupid ear, that just doesn't sound like Dave (of course he's all over his backing vocals on this one), it sounds more like Sam's tone there for those 1.nn seconds ("Ohhhhhh-no"). It's right there at 3:54, not to be confused with 3:50 which is Dave no doubt.

Sorry, had to say it. Not trying to get flamed or start a bunch of shit here. Still love the song but everytiime I hear it (probably about 40-50 times by now), that part has been becoming more and more noticeable to me.

Zing!
03-09-2012, 09:00 AM
i wish this song was on tour. almost kind of seems like the van halen anthem. the last quarter century we've been through blood and fire. but he told us he'd be back. and now look at all of the people here tonight. this thing should be LIVE!

No doubt - this tune seems custom made for live shows, and its lyrics seem like they would be a break for Dave's vocals. Can't help but feel that they should have built this whole album release and tour around this one song. Blood And Fire Tour 2012 - first single instead of Tattoo. Ah well - hindsight is 20/20.

DLR Bridge
03-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Oh, that's all Benjamin? That wasn't so bad. I thought you were going to pinpoint what old song that part was pulled from. If I'm troubled about anything at all from this CD (album), it's the looming possibility that some of the truly vintage sounding screams and such were hijacked from old recordings and peppered through out. This is something I hope I'm wrong about, but to me, those instances are like baby white elephants in the room.

BenJammin
03-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Oh, that's all Benjamin? That wasn't so bad. I thought you were going to pinpoint what old song that part was pulled from. If I'm troubled about anything at all from this CD (album), it's the looming possibility that some of the truly vintage sounding screams and such were hijacked from old recordings and peppered through out. This is something I hope I'm wrong about, but to me, those instances are like baby white elephants in the room.

Thanks. Based on your response maybe I shouldn't have been so anal about bringing it up but I'm sure you know how that might sound like sacrilege to some :nono:
My main point was to see if anyone heard what I did, but I got wrapped around trying to being diplomatic about it.

ELVIS
03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
But to my stupid ear, that just doesn't sound like Dave (of course he's all over his backing vocals on this one), it sounds more like Sam's tone there for those 1.nn seconds ("Ohhhhhh-no"). It's right there at 3:54, not to be confused with 3:50 which is Dave no doubt.

Sorry, had to say it. Not trying to get flamed or start a bunch of shit here. Still love the song but everytiime I hear it (probably about 40-50 times by now), that part has been becoming more and more noticeable to me.

Drugs are bad, mkay...

Listen to it in mono...

But what you're suggesting is out of the realm of possibilities...

It's worse than me saying it's Ed playing bass, even...

:biggrin:

fryingdutchman
03-09-2012, 09:45 AM
If I'm troubled about anything at all from this CD (album), it's the looming possibility that some of the truly vintage sounding screams and such were hijacked from old recordings and peppered through out. This is something I hope I'm wrong about, but to me, those instances are like baby white elephants in the room.

Dude...you and I should go bowling. I thought the exact same thing. There are some screams in there that sound way too "vintage", and not at all in keeping with Dave's current vocal abilities. In particular there's one in "The Trouble With Never" that sounds like it was pulled from a DLR soundboard off the internet and mixed into the song.

In fact, there's somewhere else around here where I joke about Shanks or someone else pulling old screams and howls from a soundboard and putting them in the mix.

DLR Bridge
03-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks. Based on your response maybe I shouldn't have been so anal about bringing it up but I'm sure you know how that might sound like sacrilege to some :nono:
My main point was to see if anyone heard what I did, but I got wrapped around trying to being diplomatic about it.

The way I see it, fuck it. Similarities can always pop up between human voices. Besides, any similarity there was purely unintentional. When I first heard Finish What Ya Started, I remember thinking, now this fuck is taking a stab at singing like Dave. Now he has the nerve to say if this version of VH were to consider doing anything from his God forsaken era, maybe Dave could pull of that song. Man, I just keep finding more reasons to hate that guy!

fryingdutchman
03-09-2012, 09:47 AM

Choose your "whoo", "ooooohhhh", or "yeeeeaahhhhh" here...

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/David_Lee_Roth_Soundboard.aspx

DLR Bridge
03-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Dude...you and I should go bowling. I thought the exact same thing. There are some screams in there that sound way too "vintage", and not at all in keeping with Dave's current vocal abilities. In particular there's one in "The Trouble With Never" that sounds like it was pulled from a DLR soundboard off the internet and mixed into the song.

In fact, there's somewhere else around here where I joke about Shanks or someone else pulling old screams and howls from a soundboard and putting them in the mix.

That's funny! The vintage sound is definitely present. Whether he put his nuts in the vice for this recording, will never know for sure. Check out the one in She's The Woman just as the solo goes from wah wah to melodic. There are a couple in As Is.

Zing!
03-09-2012, 09:55 AM

I do think they cut and paste a few screams here and there on ADKOT, but at least they did it in a subtle way. It's not so completely obvious that the casual listener would know the difference. Die hard Dave fans can even pick out what screams are from where, but I think of it as a spice that adds to the VH flavor. There's just enough there to satisfy - but if they would have put any more in it would have been too much. The scream in Blood And Fire (right after the 'say it like ya mean it' part) is a perfect example. It's there. It adds a kick-ass element to the song. But it's buried just enough in the mix not to be a distraction. Maybe Dave pulled it off for real - maybe he's still able to manage one or two of those on a good day - who knows. Doesn't really matter to me one way or the other. The song kicks ass. The album kicks ass. The tour so far is kicking ass. No need for me to nitpick the songs to pieces now that we've had a little time to savor the flavor.

fourthcoming
03-09-2012, 09:59 AM
That's funny! The vintage sound is definitely present. Whether he put his nuts in the vice for this recording, will never know for sure. Check out the one in She's The Woman just as the solo goes from wah wah to melodic. There are a couple in As Is.

That's funny you brought up the she's the woman scream......it's so subtle....first heard it with headphones.....it's an extended one too.....definitely an old school one. He pulled a few screams out at MSG last week that didn't sound half bad to me.

DLR Bridge
03-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Right after "say it like you mean it" he's screams guess who's baaacckk!! Wouldn't that one have to be new, or are you talking about a different one? Regardless, wish I could blast it at work.

DLR Bridge
03-09-2012, 10:05 AM
That's funny you brought up the she's the woman scream......it's so subtle....first heard it with headphones.....it's an extended one too.....definitely an old school one. He pulled a few screams out at MSG last week that didn't sound half bad to me.

He sure did! Hats perpetually off to that man.

Zing!
03-09-2012, 10:08 AM
He pulled a few screams out at MSG last week that didn't sound half bad to me.

I thought so too. Dave's voice seems to get stronger the more he tours - he should record the next VH album on the road this year. I was really hoping VH would record after '08, as Dave was singing his nuts off at that point. When I saw him live solo back in '06, it seemed like he was definitely preparing himself, training so to speak, for the upcoming VH reunion in '07. His outfits were basically the same - his stage presence - no more leaps off the drum riser, etc. Can't help but wonder if he was seriously out of commission with some kind of virus after the new year. If VH were rehearsing as much as Dave says, his voice should have been up to speed. It took him a few shows to hit his stride - but to my ears he's definitely getting stronger vocally.

As for the She's The Woman scream - that's pretty funny. Never noticed that before. Totally sounds like a Runnin' With The Devil scream. Good stuff!

SNIPER
03-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Okay, I know I'm going way out on a limb here but here goes.... sounds like Sam there.

Okay, okay simma' down! I know it sounds crazy and one would think "why in the hell would they do that?" and Dave would rather slit his own throat than have anything from Sam on his record.

Don't know if it was a mistake (they did a LOT of mixing on this album, right?) or some stupid contractual thing because maybe Spam worked on some part of that song in another form and they were forced to 'hide' him in the mix somewhere to keep him off their back, dunno.

Not gonna slam you, sir. But NO fucking way that is Spammy.

fourthcoming
03-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Yea.....no disrespect here......but I don't here the Spamburgler at all......I had to listen to that part about ten times before I even knew what was being questioned.....definitely not.

SNIPER
03-09-2012, 10:25 AM
I thought so too. Dave's voice seems to get stronger the more he tours - he should record the next VH album on the road this year. I was really hoping VH would record after '08, as Dave was singing his nuts off at that point. When I saw him live solo back in '06, it seemed like he was definitely preparing himself, training so to speak, for the upcoming VH reunion in '07. His outfits were basically the same - his stage presence - no more leaps off the drum riser, etc. Can't help but wonder if he was seriously out of commission with some kind of virus after the new year. If VH were rehearsing as much as Dave says, his voice should have been up to speed. It took him a few shows to hit his stride - but to my ears he's definitely getting stronger vocally.

As for the She's The Woman scream - that's pretty funny. Never noticed that before. Totally sounds like a Runnin' With The Devil scream. Good stuff!

All the practice and training in the world could only get you to a point but not prepare you 100% for a tour IMO. You would need the first few weeks of the tour to be your real training in a situation where the show must go on and you can't wrap up the night if you don't feel good or play through sound and mike issues. In front of the live crowd it is another game.

Zing!
03-09-2012, 10:27 AM

I would chalk this one up to coincidence. Just don't let Sammy get wind of this post. He'll claim he sang the song.

SNIPER
03-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Yea.....no disrespect here......but I don't here the Spamburgler at all......I had to listen to that part about ten times before I even knew what was being questioned.....definitely not.

Even when I listened to it 30 times (yeah, I am a dork) to try to hear what the bro was talking about. I could clearly tell it was Dave's voice.

Zing!
03-09-2012, 10:32 AM
All the practice and training in the world could only get you to a point but not prepare you for a tour IMO. You would need the firsts few weeks of the tour to be your real training in a situation where the show must go on and you can't wrap up the night if you don't feel good. In front of the live crowd it is another game.

I hear ya - and you would obviously know better than I do about what it takes to tour (the closest I come to singing is wailing along to =VH= in the mini van).

:rockin:

SNIPER
03-09-2012, 10:33 AM
I would chalk this one up to coincidence. Just don't let Sammy get wind of this post. He'll claim he sang the song.

Shit, he would claim he wrote it and talk about it at his next interview, that little cocksucker!:biggrin:

SNIPER
03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I hear ya - and you would obviously know better than I do about what it takes to tour (the closest I come to singing is wailing along to =VH= in the mini van).

:rockin:

And I think they are starting to look really relaxed up there. Can't wait for vids and reviews for the show tonight.

BenJammin
03-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Well fuck me. Guess I'll make an appointment with an audiologist.
Was hoping at least there would be someone who thought they heard the same thing (again as crazy as it sounded).
Now just standing out on that limb by myself, anyone got a saw ?!
:duh:

fourthcoming
03-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Hey man, don't feel so bad. A few years ago when I started singing for my band, I had to read all the lyric sheets to get the lyrics down 100%......turns out I was singing countless numbers of songs incorrectly to myself or in my head for the past thirty years!!! I made up or mumbled so many lyrics through the years and when I finally found out what the fuck they were actually saying it was kind of funny.

SNIPER
03-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Well fuck me. Guess I'll make an appointment with an audiologist.
Was hoping at least there would be someone who thought they heard the same thing (again as crazy as it sounded).
Now just standing out on that limb by myself, anyone got a saw ?!
:duh:

Haha. your killing me bro. :lmao: