PDA

View Full Version : The Official Van Halen, "Big River" review thread

Seshmeister
01-30-2012, 12:34 PM
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/6aFu5oZtGLI?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/6aFu5oZtGLI?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Unchainme
01-30-2012, 05:52 PM
God this song is bitching.

Sounds like the old Van Halen I fucking love! This is what I wish was released as the single over "Tattoo"!

Little Texan
01-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I like this one better than the original demo version! It sounds pretty much the same (besides the lyrics), but with subtle differences here and there. I've always loved this song since the first time I heard it around '99, when I first joined the VH online community, and I'm overjoyed that they finally put this on an album (should've at the very least been on DD in the place of one of those covers.) Incidentally, I started out as "Big Trouble '77" on all of the various VH forums at the time, and I still have that username at the stinks, although I quit posting there a LONG fucking time ago.

fourthcoming
01-31-2012, 09:29 PM
I may be crazy and obviously this a rework of an old, in my opinion classic unreleased tune....but the chorus to me has such a 70's feel to it......love it.

SunisinuS
01-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Kicks Ass. And I agree with Little Texan. Better first single. Let them double down on the "reworked tune" crap but Dave and the Band are just the perfect mix here. Dave's Voice is great, long held clear notes with no Solo Vibrato. Mix of the Old and the New.

Lyrics of course are stellar: "Listen to a Sea-Shell; you can hear all of the sea....Listen to a Beer Glass....."

:boom:

Would have been better received by the casual fan base than "Tattoo". I can see already by the solo breakdown that this might be one of my favorite songs off the album. This more than any other sample so far says: "This is Van Halen."

Most Classic Dave in "Normal" voice re-creating his screams. Same Timbre and notes....although an octave down....classic tone in a great sounding normal (with no "curdle") voice. May have been the last track they recorded giving hope for the new album. Almost sounds like Ted Templeman produced this one. Excellent.

But what the hell do I know....I am not in show business anymore.

:blah:

Overall these are extremely talented folks in this band.

Which is why I am an Fan.

lesfunk
01-31-2012, 09:42 PM
This one is a keeper

SunisinuS
02-01-2012, 12:12 AM
This one is a keeper

I knew you would like this one Lesfunk. Listen to the Bass.....new ground on ANY Van Halen album I have ever heard. At 1:12 Wolf just starts this slide bass junk that is sweet.

slowhand
02-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Love the YFLM reference with Land's Edge.

fifth element
02-02-2012, 10:03 PM
WoW....just...Wow....:clap:

Va Beach VH Fan
02-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Official clip....

Golden AWe
02-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I love it! So relaxed but tight at the same time. Very Van Halen!!!

VanHalener
02-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Are you serious?

Am I really awake for this Godzilla like attack on my senses.

This song...

Holy Shit, Man!!!

Combat Ready
02-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Dave's vocals are stellar on this tune. Wow!!!

Zing!
02-11-2012, 11:12 AM
This just in: Big River has moved into the top spot as my favorite song on the disk. Everything about screams VAN HALEN! Love Dave's "Look out - UH!" which is more Van Halen right there in one little display of rock and roll attitude than anything Spam ever did with the band.

Terry
02-11-2012, 06:28 PM
When I'm driving, for some reason I keep playing this particular track over and over...good, good stuff.

DLR Bridge
02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
There is a great missing verse from this song. Check out the lyrics (not with me at the moment). Something to the effect of Creendence told him but Tina sold him or whatever. Little nod to rolling on the river. I think the words are great, but I've associated this riff with horny male highschool hi jinks for decades now. Still getting used to the "mature" theme.

WARF
02-13-2012, 06:58 PM
This is my favorite song on the album.... I love that thumping RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL sound!!!

Marcus
02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
I really hope they play this one live. Can't get enough of it!

ODShowtime
02-13-2012, 08:23 PM
The original demo part of this is ok but the jam-out they added (or that I don't remember) is hella awesome.

DLR Bridge
02-13-2012, 11:45 PM
"Credence told me. Tina sold me. At first I was unconvinced. Been Rollin' on that river ever since."

A great line peculiarly omitted from the song. Wonder why.

LW-Viper
02-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Big River.....Oh yeah!!

like the harmony......I am impressed with CD....Eddie tears it up

Zing!
02-16-2012, 03:54 PM
There is a great missing verse from this song. Check out the lyrics (not with me at the moment). Something to the effect of Creendence told him but Tina sold him or whatever. Little nod to rolling on the river. I think the words are great, but I've associated this riff with horny male highschool hi jinks for decades now. Still getting used to the "mature" theme.

Funny things is when I listen to this tune, that's exactly what it calls to mind. Sun shining windows down, Van Halen blasting with inner-tubes and a styrofoam cooler packed with beers and ice thrown in the back. Heading down to the river with friends to go tubing and maybe some extra-curricular fun on a sandbar with the ladies if you know what I mean. Big River takes me back just like that to those great summer afternoons in the mid 80's when you didn't worry about a damn thing but sex, drugs, and rock & roll. Hell, it beats workin'!

DLR Bridge
02-16-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm starting to get that vibe. I still like the "I'm out the window" from the WB demo. What does he say now? Look both ways now? Just doesn't hit with same impact. Still a great tune indeed.

vanshipman
02-16-2012, 09:52 PM
:bigwink:Love this version way better and Eddie is killing it. Right before the solo kicks in he's doing his old school low string pick squall, followed by a dive bomb...BRUTALLY AWESOME.

SNIPER
02-16-2012, 10:03 PM
I have been listening to ADKOT on shuffle the last couple of days. I like not knowing what song is next it helps me pick up on different shit . I can't say it enough but this cd fucking slams. Every fucking song rules. Just like the 6 pack you never need to skip a song.

Terry
02-16-2012, 10:09 PM
:bigwink:Love this version way better and Eddie is killing it. Right before the solo kicks in he's doing his old school low string pick squall, followed by a dive bomb...BRUTALLY AWESOME.

Ed does a quick run right as the solo is ending just before they go into the chorus...after the hammer on parts...first time I heard that quick run I said "whoah" out loud:clap:

SNIPER
02-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Oh yeah, and I love this solo too. It has the old Eddie style going on and that sweet little run Ed does after the solo is bad ass! ...This album captures every element of the band I fell in love with back in the day. They are still my heros.

Zing!
02-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Keep coming back to this song. I think 'Big River' might be the song that defines this album for me. Has a lot to do with all the shit going down with life in general - the economy, election, money, and on and on - just so bad ass to hear a song that makes you think of good times and that life ain't all paying bills and being a slave to the grind. This tune takes me back to great fucking memories just like anything from the 6-pack. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think they could improve on 'Big Trouble,' but here it is - even my kids love it. Gots that catchy hook that just makes you want to scream 'ROLLING!'

gbranton
02-25-2012, 10:47 PM
It has a big, fun, summertime-ish vibe to it that sounds like sunshine and beer in a cooler.

sadaist
02-25-2012, 11:36 PM
I think Big River may be the best performance of Daves voice on the whole album. Not sure if it was luck of the draw (cause 1 song had to be the best vocally), or if this song strikes an emotional chord within Dave that the others don't quite reach. He sounds inspired here. he's feeling it.

TwoFoolsAMinute
02-26-2012, 12:02 AM
This tune just sounds relaxed and natural. I can't quite explain it, but it just works. It's like nobody was trying too hard so it came together perfect....flawless. It has the feel of a rock song from a time gone.

Terry
02-26-2012, 08:24 PM
This tune just sounds relaxed and natural. I can't quite explain it, but it just works. It's like nobody was trying too hard so it came together perfect....flawless. It has the feel of a rock song from a time gone.

It really does...it feels like it could have came right off of Van Halen or Van Halen 2...am really digging the guitar work on this one throughout, solo included (some of the solos on ADKOT, while well-executed, are a bit throwaway in terms of being memorable - Big River ain't one of them).

golitely
03-01-2012, 05:12 AM
I've had a chance to listen to the album straight thru 4 times this morning and this song is really growing on me. It has that 70s big rock feel to it.

sadaist
03-01-2012, 06:03 AM
Big River is the song that has moved the most up the liking scale for me. At first it wa way down the list. I only listen to it as the filler between the songs I liked a lot. Wasn't really paying attention. Suddenly actually HEARD the solo and how long it is, and just crazy good & nuanced...I thought, wait....what song is this again? Took a sec to realize it was Big River. Just amazing stuff as you listen more closely. It's approaching the top spot rather fast. It's currently in 3rd behind As Is & Stay Frosty.

3rd WAS Honeybaby......it's 4th now.

ashstralia
04-12-2012, 01:24 AM
at 2.30, it sounds like ed makes the guitar say 'big river'. very cool tune.

rocking ron
04-12-2012, 06:52 PM
BIG RIVER is having a VH II 'feel' for sure!!

I hope they're gonna play this one live, maybe instead of CHINA TOWN, less high notes so easier to sing for Dave!!!

hambon4lif
04-12-2012, 06:59 PM
It's a damn good drinking song,....you can really sing-along with the 2nd verse...with conviction!!

Tested and approved:thumb:

Yount
07-21-2012, 09:18 PM
The debris meets the sea when the tide rolls in :flock: