PDA

View Full Version : MONTROSE...Sam's only great moment?

Rikk
06-16-2004, 01:20 AM
Anybody out there agree? I can't stand Sammy's solo shit. It's pure crap. ONE WAY TO ROCK, EAGLES FLY, etc. This stuff makes me sick.

But, does anyone agree with me that Sam's one shining moment outside of VH was the Montrose debut of 1973? There really ain't anything embarressing on this album, IMO. It's got some great guitar playing, great vocals, etc. MAKE IT LAST, BAD MOTOR SCOOTER, ROCK CANDY, etc. I think these are great tunes.

Feedback?

Satan
06-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Montrose is the template for what Van Hagar could have, and should have been. Nobody expected Van Hagar to be better than or even equal to Van HALEN. Anyone with a functional brain between their horns knew that. But with a guitarist who had proven for 6 albums that he could outplay Ronnie Montrose with one hand behind his back, the expectations for Van Hagar were high. And they failed, miserably.

Ironically, if songs like "Dreams", "Cheese Comes Walking In" and "Inside" had appeared on that Montrose album, we never would have heard of Sammy Hagar again.

Wayne L.
06-23-2004, 02:21 PM
The debut album from Montrose with Sammy on vocals is one of the greatest hard rock albums of all time which I listened to about 12 years ago but Sammy has made some great music as a solo artist as well before VH with Fall In Love Again, Heavy Metal & Three Lock Box being my favorite Sammy solo classics & For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is the best album from Sammy in Van Halen with Poundcake being my favorite VH rock classic from that era.