PDA

View Full Version : DAVE - Mix disc

Rikk
06-16-2004, 01:26 AM
Diamond Dave is a personal hero of mine. But I've unfortunately found his solo albums sometimes very patchy. I would say A LIL AIN'T ENOUGH is especially patchy, although I would put IT'S SHOWTIME and A LIL AIN'T ENOUGH amazing tracks in anybody's collection.

I made a disc for the car tonight and was surprised at how amazing the tracks are, and the selection. The dude has some incredible solo work...DLR BAND is a smoking CD. And my god, some of these selections are fantastic. This disc will be in my player all week.

My selections on the CD are:
Yankee Rose
Hot Dog and a Shake
Black Light
Shyboy
A Lil Ain't Enough
Knucklebones
Tobacco Road
Big Train
Little Texas (possibly my all-time favorite solo Dave tune)
Counter-Blast
Damn Good (another favorite...crime that this wasn't on BEST OF)
Ladies' Night In Buffalo
Slam Dunk
She's My Machine
Don't Piss Me Off
Big Trouble
Just Like Paradise
Elephant Gun
Skyscraper
It's Showtime!
King of the Hill
Goin' Crazy
Just a Gigolo
Bump and Grind
Black Sand (another forgotten classic off DLR BAND)

I don't have anything off the new album on this because I don't own it...yet.

Feedback?

ALMOSTsaved
06-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Great songs. However, if I made a DLR mix disc, I'd only do selections from '85 to '91.

I don't own DLR Band....I despise YFLM and I don't own Diamond Dave.

Rikk
06-16-2004, 12:35 PM
You really should pick up DLR BAND. It's a great album. Not every single song is great, but most of them are pretty awesome. And it's very raw...none of that overdone polish A LIL AIN'T ENOUGH has. LITTLE TEXAS is one of Dave's all-time best solo songs.

ALMOSTsaved
06-16-2004, 12:48 PM
I definitely WANT to get it. No one ever has it.

I think I'm gonna have to order it.

Beauvoir
06-17-2004, 11:35 PM
For me, a Dave compilation would pretty much be the "EAT EM AND SMILE" album with a couple of "SKYSCRAPER" tunes added.
I think that "EEAS" is one of the greatest albums Dave has ever appeared on, in some ways better than his work with VH.

And I'm partial to "SKYSCRAPER" cause I got to see him on that tour (now if I could just find my tape from the show...)

Sarge
06-18-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
Great songs. However, if I made a DLR mix disc, I'd only do selections from '85 to '91.

You need to get DLRBAND!
It is great!

Sarge
06-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Diamond Dave is a personal hero of mine. But I've unfortunately found his solo albums sometimes very patchy. I would say A LIL AIN'T ENOUGH is especially patchy, although I would put IT'S SHOWTIME and A LIL AIN'T ENOUGH amazing tracks in anybody's collection.

I made a disc for the car tonight and was surprised at how amazing the tracks are, and the selection. The dude has some incredible solo work...DLR BAND is a smoking CD. And my god, some of these selections are fantastic. This disc will be in my player all week.

Yankee Rose
Hot Dog and a Shake
Black Light
Shyboy
A Lil Ain't Enough
Knucklebones
Tobacco Road
Big Train
Counter-Blast
Ladies' Night In Buffalo
Slam Dunk
She's My Machine
Don't Piss Me Off
Big Trouble
Just Like Paradise
Elephant Gun
Skyscraper
It's Showtime!
King of the Hill
Goin' Crazy
Just a Gigolo
Bump and Grind

I don't have anything off the new album on this because I don't own it...yet.

Feedback?

Awesome list!
All that fit on one disc?

Big Troubles
06-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Empty pockets never stopped
Me from singing a blue streak, no
And I don't think the devil's
Ever gonna give me back
I don't think so!

That statement alone won me over for the whole album. Some efforst by Dave were not as strong as others. But all in all, Dave is a Rock God, and that means nothing done by him sucks. It's all good to great.

Mezro
06-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
You need to get DLRBAND!
It is great!

I play the DLR Band CD more than I play with my own cock!

Mezro...spit and lube seem to be the right tool for the job...along with a thick pile of tissues...and some mayo in a sock..with a rubber band for tension...and a little goat hair to remind me of my days as a voodoo priest

Rikk
06-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Sarge
Awesome list!
All that fit on one disc?

Actually, that was my list. I think I had to cut a couple of songs before I burned the disc itself.

Yeah, DLR BAND is amazing. Anyone else love LITTLE TEXAS?

ALMOSTsaved
07-01-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm gonna check this music shop in town and pick up DLR Band.

I'll keep ya posted.

ALinChainz
07-01-2004, 03:13 PM
DLR Band indeed ROCKS.

I blast "Relentless" with heavy regularity.

mewisemagic
07-16-2004, 11:48 AM
little texas kicks ass!!

BARE BONE
07-16-2004, 05:19 PM
What about Baby's on Fire. That song kicks ass.

Rikk
08-06-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by BARE BONE
What about Baby's on Fire. That song kicks ass.

Great tune!

DeadOrAlive
08-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Pretty good list!

Loons The Great
03-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Rikk

Yankee Rose
Hot Dog and a Shake
Black Light
Shyboy
A Lil Ain't Enough
Knucklebones
Tobacco Road
Big Train
Counter-Blast
Ladies' Night In Buffalo
Slam Dunk
She's My Machine
Don't Piss Me Off
Big Trouble
Just Like Paradise
Elephant Gun
Skyscraper
It's Showtime!
King of the Hill
Goin' Crazy
Just a Gigolo
Bump and Grind

That's a helluva Papa Roth mix there one time!! That'll make ya wanna go home an' slap yo mama!!:D

trueblue
04-04-2006, 07:28 AM

You make such a weird pitch here..If you don't own two DLR albums, (and i assume u haven't heard the songs in them) then u probably shouldn't even attempt to make a "DLR mix disc" from 1985-91 for anybody...How fair or meaningful would that be??...It's fine if you 'despise' YFLM, i tried my best to like that record, but i simply can't....Diamond Dave is better than YFLM, but not by a whole lot...but lots of DLR Band album songs would have to feature in anybody's DLR mix disc...So get up and go find, borrow, buy the albums u don't own before u try to be some DLR DJ....

trueblue
04-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Beauvoir
For me, a Dave compilation would pretty much be the "EAT EM AND SMILE" album with a couple of "SKYSCRAPER" tunes added.
I think that "EEAS" is one of the greatest albums Dave has ever appeared on, in some ways better than his work with VH.

And I'm partial to "SKYSCRAPER" cause I got to see him on that tour (now if I could just find my tape from the show...)

i mostly agree that EEAS would have to dominate a DLR compilation...It was so typically mean, aggressive, stylish and rollicking from start to finish(almost in the Fair Warning groove to some extent)....But over the years, even though i still love EEAS, (Skyscraper gave me too many mixed feelings with it's synth-pop overkill), I now feel that Steve Vai's guitar playing was not exactly suited to Dave's out-for-blood intensity vocals...Apart from some brief moments of magically top-notch playing, Steve's overall sound throughout his two albums with Dave, was too limited, imitative and underwhelming to impress for long...At times he did sound like some desperate EVH wanna-be....I think Jason Becker and the guys at DLR Band did Dave better service on record..

I am totally zapped at your comment that EEAS is "many ways better than his work with VH"...That's stretching it too far surely...I'd say that EEAS and DLR Band are the two obvious DLR solo records that absolutely matched the first four VH records in their rocking brilliance and were clearly better than Diver Down and 1984....It's weird how u don't even mention the other 5 DLR albums...Haven't u heard much of the songs in them??....hey, it's also funny how after Dave left VH, the next four VH and DLR releases all came out in the same year, just months apart...And we all know what the true fans were raving about...In 1986, EEAS could easily be the real seventh VH album, and not the prom-rock of 5150...Skyscraper was streets ahead of OU812 in '88, ALAE was much superior to the lousy F.U.C.K in '91, and of course DLR Band blew VH3 out of the water in '98...And hey, what is your point exactly about the Skyscraper tour of '88...I was only 10 at the time and half a world away..so bring me up to speed on that if u can..ok...cheers>>>

trueblue
04-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Beauvoir

i mostly agree that EEAS would have to dominate a DLR compilation...It was so typically mean, aggressive, stylish and rollicking from start to finish(almost in the Fair Warning groove to some extent)....But over the years, even though i still love EEAS, (Skyscraper gave me too many mixed feelings with its synth-pop overkill), I now feel that Steve Vai's guitar playing was not exactly suited to Dave's out-for-blood intensity vocals...Apart from some brief moments of magically top-notch playing, Steve's overall sound throughout his two albums with Dave, was too limited, imitative and underwhelming to impress for long...At times he did sound like some desperate EVH wanna-be....I think Jason Becker and the guys at DLR Band did Dave better service on record..

I am totally zapped at your comment that EEAS is " in many ways better than his work with VH"...That's stretching it too far surely...I'd say that EEAS and DLR Band are the two obvious DLR solo records that absolutely matched the first four VH records in their rocking brilliance and were clearly better than Diver Down and 1984....It's weird how u don't even mention the other 5 DLR albums...Haven't u heard much of the songs in them??....hey, it's also funny how after Dave left VH, the next four VH and DLR releases all came out in the same year, just months apart...And we all know what the true fans were raving about...In 1986, EEAS could easily be the real seventh VH album, and not the prom-rock of 5150...Skyscraper was streets ahead of OU812 in '88, ALAE was much superior to the lousy F.U.C.K in '91, and of course DLR Band blew VH3 out of the water in '98...And hey, what is your point exactly about the Skyscraper tour of '88...I was only 10 at the time and half a world away..so bring me up to speed on that if u can..ok...cheers>>>

Shaun Ponsonby
04-07-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm gonna check this music shop in town and pick up DLR Band.

I'll keep ya posted.

I had trouble finding it myself. I eventually got it from e-bay. But, it took me about 2 or 3 years to finally find it.

If you don't have any luck, I'll gladly make a copy and mail it to you. Thats how essential it is.

DeadOrAlive
04-13-2006, 07:41 PM
EBAY. DLR Band should be cheap on ebay man