PDA

View Full Version : WTF is "Cock Rock?"

SparkieD
02-01-2012, 11:02 AM
I keep reading this label here and there, and it gets on my fucking nerves. It just sounds so fuckin' stupid. Besides, I don't recall any bands playing rock music with their junk.

Matt White
02-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Think GREATWHITELIONSNAKE circa 1987...................

All those "hair-farmer" bands were "cock-rock"...........

basically Teenybopper music played thru MARSHALL amps.................

K-tuna
02-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Basically anything 80's that was filled with stuff about glam rock pop-y type songs about sex and how many chicks were nailed and thats a good start.

Think Steel Panther and work backwards. LOL

A lot of times it was just a slang term applied to most metal at the time. A term created by dumbass preppies and some stoners to be dismissive of the popularity of bands at the time like Crue', Ratt, Whitelion, Poison, Whitesnake...etc....

fryingdutchman
02-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Wasn't it that short-lived Steven Bochco TV show where the cops would sing and dance?

Oh....that was "Cop Rock." Sorry...my bad.

Hellraiser!!
02-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Do you know those songs that's always playing when you're having some fun at your local strip club???

That's Cock Rock...when you're rocking at the strip club with your cock between the strippers knockers...

silverfish
02-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Dating myself here but I remember hearing the term used in reference
to Robert Plant and those tight-ass jeans he used to wear.

link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_rock)

SparkieD
02-01-2012, 11:56 PM
My question was rhetorical in a sense. I know wtf it is, but really, wtf does it have to do with cock?

Some music critic twat had just referred to CVH as such in a recent review. Grated my motherfucking nerves!

clarathecarrot
02-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Jeez dudes it means any show where the lead singer or players strut around like a rooster displaying for the laaaaaadies in a over the top fashion.

It has nothing to do with dicks or tight jeans.

I am however quite sure there are some people who use it in a fashion to fruedian thier cigar lust.

To some people a cigar is more than just a cigar.

Panamark
02-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Im not sure of the true origins, but when I was a younger man and
actually in a band, we would classify rock as "Soft Cock" or "Hard Cock"
Soft Cock = Dreams Van Hagar
Hard Cock = Battery (Metallica)

That kind of thing.....

Not sure if that helps at all ?? Probably doesnt...
Sorry Sparkie, Im a bit clueless about it too, unless
they were referring to dudes wearing tight spandex so you
could see their cocks ?? (Or cucumbers, whatever they stuffed
down there) :biggrin:

Hardrock69
02-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Think Steel Panther and work backwards. LOL

That is the best description, lol.

SparkieD
02-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Would an all girl rock-n-roll band be considered "Twat rock?"

FORD
02-06-2012, 05:58 PM

Depends on the band. If you take The Runaways, for example, the biggest twat in the organization was their manager Kim Fowley. Who didn't have a twat, despite having a girl's name.

clarathecarrot
02-06-2012, 06:02 PM
If I say, Thanks Toots, to the waitress does she think I just called her, Tits ?

I guess it all depends on who you are talking to and who you want to hear you and then they will know how cool you are by using, possibly, blue, defaming, descriptive, words that may or may not belong in pleasent company.

Yeah ..Heah, heh, he ,he, said,.. belong...pfft whatever..pfffft...

BELONG! and Live well people!!

I mean what does it mean man!!!

Am I supposed to group up with people or just not be short with people who may piss me off..?

That my folks is the Long and Short of it.

Waht was the question.?

Mr Walker
02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
from Urban Dictionary

1. cock rock
Derogatory term for a style of hard rock that was prevalent in the 70s, practiced in its purest form by the band Foreigner. Few bands played cock rock exclusively, but some artists with cock rock tendencies include Bad Company, Peter Frampton, Grand Funk Railroad, the Rolling Stones, Ted Nugent, John Fogerty, Aerosmith, AC/DC, and Bob Seger.

Musically, cock rock overlaps with blues rock, southern rock, hard rock, and arena rock, but what ties it all together as cock rock is an egocentric, tough-guy swagger and lots of ridiculous macho posturing. The lyrics often equate hard-rocking with virility and dangerousness.

The genre's primary audience was (and still is) guys with mullets and Camaros.

Though cock rock still gets plenty of airplay on classic rock radio, there are (mercifully) very few new practitioners of the style.

Panamark
02-07-2012, 07:53 AM
from Urban Dictionary

1. cock rock
Derogatory term for a style of hard rock that was prevalent in the 70s, practiced in its purest form by the band Foreigner. Few bands played cock rock exclusively, but some artists with cock rock tendencies include Bad Company, Peter Frampton, Grand Funk Railroad, the Rolling Stones, Ted Nugent, John Fogerty, Aerosmith, AC/DC, and Bob Seger.

Musically, cock rock overlaps with blues rock, southern rock, hard rock, and arena rock, but what ties it all together as cock rock is an egocentric, tough-guy swagger and lots of ridiculous macho posturing. The lyrics often equate hard-rocking with virility and dangerousness.

The genre's primary audience was (and still is) guys with mullets and Camaros.

Though cock rock still gets plenty of airplay on classic rock radio, there are (mercifully) very few new practitioners of the style.

Under our non official clasification system, many of those bands would be "soft cock rock"

Panamark
02-07-2012, 07:55 AM

Has a certain ring to it ! :)

We could then add sub categories like

Hard Twat and Soft Twat ! :)

evil_lil
02-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Coldplay is Twat rock