PDA

View Full Version : The Downtown Session

vanshipman
02-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Has anyone seen the four clips enough to comment on how they sound? Im real curious about all four, but especially about the acoustic version of You and Your Blues.

Seshmeister
02-02-2012, 07:35 PM
All four are from the same session as the YRGM video.

You Really Got Me from Van Halen on Vimeo.

vanshipman
02-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Yeah I was thinking they were from the same session, but was wondering how well the other songs translated in the acoustic format, which Im sure it sounds great. After the flood of greatness thats been unleashed these past few weeks, I just keep wondering, is this really happening?

slowhand
02-02-2012, 09:57 PM
They sound better than I anticipated. Usually when a band does an acoustic set I'll listen once then forget about it. They did a great job though keeping the original feel to the songs. They remind me a lot of Dave's Traveling Mojo Dojo interviews from 02.

There is a lot a lot of ad-libbing on Dave's part, and Ed is playing loose and keeping pace with him. It looks like they are having fun getting lost in the songs and finding their way back.

Dave is fired up, like when he was warming up in the scrapbook video. He's talking a mile a minute, especially in the intro to You and Your Blues. He's having a lot of fun with the lyrics throughout the set. He commits to every line, and sounds great, no matter how much liberty he takes with it.

Eddie's playing is superb. No fast compressors and effects to cover things up. He really delivers. His voice sounds better than anything I've heard in a while. He's straining to hold some notes, but he makes it fit well under Wolfie's vocals. Sorta like how Keith Richards seems to be able to sing any not he wants and make it fit. He doesn't stop smiling the whole time. You can see he's genuinely enjoying himself.

Al seems to be bored. He doesn't have much to do though. I kinda feel bad for him in the videos. He sounds great at times, but he gets a bit detached from the rest of them towards the end. I definitely know what it's like to just not be feeling a jam anymore. He does a hell of a job though when it's appropriate.

Wolf kept drawing my attention with his vocals throughout the set. He was nailing the high harmonies. It was great to hear, and when I listened to the album again I was able to clearly identify his vocals in all the songs. Mike's a great guy, but there is no doubt now he's been replaced. Wolfie stayed in the pocket jamming with Ed. He's really good at reading his dad, and knows where he's going. Everything was seamless between the two of them, no matter where the song went. I can't wait to see how they play together on tour.

I wish they played a few more songs, but it was still great to see the way they interacted in that acoustic setting. This will be something I'll continue to dig up and watch in the future.

fourthcoming
02-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Dave tells a story that's friggin hysterical, Wolf can sing his ass off, Dave sounds great and You And Your Blues IMO is the highlight of the dvd....

rocking ron
02-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Dave is singing his ass off during 'You and Your Blues' acoustically, great job but I like 'Beautifull Girls' most !!

But it looks like they're having a great time, also that dog who's walkin' around overthere during Panama!!!

VAiN
02-06-2012, 07:03 PM
I believe we'll be seeing a few tunes from this session.. it's too good!

mdk1967
02-06-2012, 08:38 PM

mdk1967
02-06-2012, 08:39 PM