PDA

View Full Version : Question for Aussie members

Seshmeister
02-05-2012, 05:47 PM
I just found out today my cousin is the singer of a band called 'The Driving Conditions'?

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/YHowl0KznqU?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/YHowl0KznqU?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

This is the side of the family that moved out to Australia and I've never met the guy, only found out about the band when my old man handed me their CD today.

Anyone seen or heard them? I can hear a slight AC/DC influence... :)

Yount
02-05-2012, 06:26 PM
What part of Aus?

Seshmeister
02-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Brisbane area but they are signed to Sony and supported Uriah Heep last year.

Seshmeister
02-05-2012, 06:43 PM
http://content.bandzoogle.com/users/solfreeman/files/The-Driving-Conditions-RAVE-m0.pdf

The Driving Conditions

Sunday, 05 April 2009

THE DRIVING CONDITIONS guitarist NATHAN WARD drags traditional Aussie pub rock screaming into the new
millennium with SHAUN NANCARROW.

Brisbane old school oz rockers The Driving Conditions are nothing if not a band on the rise. In the two or three short years since their formation, The Driving Conditions have taken their beer-soaked, pub rock sound on tour with everyone from Jimmy Barnes and The Angels to the Radiators and even performed on TV’s Big Brother Live before a national audience of 1.5 million, developing a large following down the east coast of Australia in the process. I’m sure all those bands out there slogging it out in local pubs night after night for several times that length of time would love to know what is the band’s secret?

"Basically I think there are a couple of elements," guitarist Nathan Ward responds. "Three members in the band are second or third generation musicians and we have had the luxury of growing up in the industry and seeing the mistakes and success stories our fathers have forged over their own careers. The four of us have grown up listening to the same kind of music, have a no-bullshit approach and put 100 percent into every single show we’ve played and we also play music full time for a living and do not have day jobs."

Ward considers the kind of Aussie pub rock that the band purveys to be entrenched in Australian culture. "It’s just that big, bald Aussie rock thing. If you look at the history of the music, it’s an Australian, English and Scottish slant on blues music, that’s really where the Australian rock sound has come from.

"My father and uncle were members of bands called Black Feather and Black Circus and knocked around with AC/DC and Rose Tattoo when they were younger and, when you look back on it, including Stevie Wright and The Easybeats, they have all come from a Scottish or northern English background and heritage. And all these bands have been blues based to start off with and for us. That’s our roots and that’s where we’ve come from as well. We haven’t sat down and conceived an idea ‘lets be an Aussie pub rock band’, it’s just naturally what we do."

Ward sees the band’s upcoming full length, Full Throttle as allowing The Driving Conditions to find their own feet and voice in the music industry. "It’s probably a touch more melodic than the EP," he says, referring to the band’s first release, Rock N Roll. "But in saying that, it also still has the raw roots and rock sound we’ve always had."

The band’s upcoming south-east Queensland gigs are to be hosted by TV personality Mike Goldman, who used to kick around in ‘90s Brisbane act Polish with a few of the band’s members and who previously had the band on Big Brother Live. Goldman’s assistance, Ward concludes, has been a welcome help to The Driving Conditions’ career.

"It’s fantastic to have allies like Mike." Ward says. "We’ve been really lucky – the music industry is a really cutthroat industry with a lot of pitfalls for young bands like ourselves. We’ve had our fair share of people fucking us over and it’s nice to know there are also people in our own corner that back us up like Mike, and our management team as well."

Check out www.thedrivingconditions.com for more information.
Rave Magazine
http://www.ravemagazine.com.au Powered by Joomla! Generated: 6 April, 2009, 10:48

ashstralia
02-05-2012, 07:44 PM
i'll keep an eye out.

Mr. Vengeance
02-05-2012, 10:47 PM
SLIGHT AC/DC influence??????

Seshmeister
02-05-2012, 10:58 PM
:biggrin:

Panamark
02-06-2012, 07:27 AM
If this band fails, he has a plethora of AC/DC tributes to chose from.
Theres more than a little Bon Scott in that voice !
He sings pretty good ? Operation Seshcrime material ????
Or is your tried and true vocal man the one and only ?

I havent seen them until this, the clip sounded better than
I expected when I clicked on it....

Im in that scottish half of my family that moved to Oz too !
Seems a bit of that goes down...
At least we didnt sail in with the english convict bread stealers !!!

Seshmeister
02-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Almost every Scottish family has relations in Australia, New Zealand or Canada.

Looking at their website they seem to have stalled a bit for a band that released an album on a major.

I'll need to find out what's happened, hope they aren't another one of those bands that get signed for tax reasons or whatever.

Seshcrime has changed around now to be a 4 piece with a new name planning to record an album this Summer. I'm very excited about it although the logistics of trying to get 4 people in a rehearsal room at our age between work, family and second families is a nightmare.

Panamark
02-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Well you have blood that is not too shabby... (as a plan B)

Seshmeister
02-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Bit of a long commute though... :)