PDA

View Full Version : Attention Whore Alert: Westminster Dog Show news from Shoes

Sensible Shoes
02-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Once a year I do this and I hope I am forgiven.

After saying all year he wasn't going to do it, my handler has decided to show my girl at Westminster. They are in for breed at 9:30 AM and IF she wins, she will be on TV tomorrow night - USA network at 8PM. I may be going down to NYC and would therefore be off computer - so if the Irish Setter in the Sporting Group is named "Shadagee Caught Red-Handed (Emily), it's my doggie. We would love it if you tuned in - Sporting is first, and she'd be on fairly early. I know a dog show is like watching paint dry if you're not rooting for somebody, so we'd be honored to have you watch.

Dan
02-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Best Of Luck To Your Dog.:D

Panamark
02-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Wow.. Thats pretty huge news, best of luck !

Our doggie gets handled now and then, but this is the serious stuff !

kwame k
02-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Give 'em hell tiger......

Remember the confetti;)

ashstralia
02-14-2012, 03:21 AM
go shoes! go emily!!!!

ZahZoo
02-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Good luck!! Will be watching.

clarathecarrot
02-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Nothing quite as fun as laying around watching Westminster, (a ritual since back in the days when it was only on PBS and there wasn't even cable TV) with my old girlfriend..ahh good times (she is gone but the show is still great ..lol)...I believe I saw Emily place in the best of show catagory last year..I hope she does well.

Setters are so cool perhaps the most lovable of all family dogs, if you got kids this is the best choice.

I also like watching the -BookieKanookie- show what I call the Eukanuba show. I remember this dog food was first advertised as a, dog food that breaks down fast in the environment, thus being great for people who find picking up after your dog just stupid. Who knew how big a dogfood would get.

I have a question: If you have time Since we all know the Westminster Show is the granddaddy of all placement breed shows and registered dog wins there are top class..how do contemporary breeders feel about the Eukanuba Show is it a lower graded version or does a top win in Eukanuba garner the same amout of future monies for offspring genetic rating, and clout ?

I mean kinda like the Grammys compared to MTV music awards or something..? Thanks.

Jagermeister
02-14-2012, 12:04 PM
I didn't watch it. How did the bitch do?

Sensible Shoes
02-14-2012, 12:08 PM
It's tonight! And yes, she won the breed this AM so WILL be on USA tonight at 8PM. I am so excited right now I may poop myself and have to try to get myself to NYC before 8PM tonight.

Jagermeister
02-14-2012, 12:09 PM
It's tonight! And yes, she won the breed this AM so WILL be on USA tonight at 8PM. I am so excited right now I may poop myself and have to try to get myself to NYC before 8PM tonight.

Cool. I thought it was over the weekend for some reason. Heard something on the radio about it Friday and thought about you.

ThrillsNSpills
02-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Congrats, but USA network?

Your dog can solve a crime in 60 minutes?

pretty cool

clarathecarrot
02-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Haul ass! j/k Buckle up and safety first..... we are wishing you the best.

lesfunk
02-14-2012, 04:06 PM
So Fucking awesome. I'm proud as hell of you Deb.

Angel
02-14-2012, 04:08 PM
WOOHOO! Go Emily! I remember when she was just a pup!!!

sadaist
02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Once a year I do this and I hope I am forgiven.

Shoes, you NEVER have anything to be forgiven for. We love you & your pups. I think it's awesome we can have such a diverse group of people here who can post all the different stuff they do in between Van Halen albums & tours. LOL

Hell, I post pics of my boxers here whenever I can. (And not my underwears you pervs...you wishes)

twonabomber
02-14-2012, 04:27 PM
DVR set...go Emily!

sadaist
02-14-2012, 04:29 PM

Sonofabitch she won!

Way to Stay Frosty Shoes!

Fuckin' A! Roth style!

I wish I had TV access right now, but laptop is all with poor wifi. I'm rooting for you 100%. If you poop yourself, just don't get any on your Roth Army shirt. And don't be embarrassed. As we get older, we've all been tricked by a fart.

Zing!
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Diamond Dave has given me a sudden interest in dog training.

Who knew?

Good luck to you and your pooch!

FORD
02-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Congrats, but USA network?

Your dog can solve a crime in 60 minutes?

pretty cool

Maybe they'll give Emily her own show?

"Bark Notice"?

"White Flea Collar"?

lesfunk
02-14-2012, 08:04 PM
I just Saw Emily!

Mr Walker
02-14-2012, 08:20 PM
EPIC disappointment... I thought I'd get to see Shoes running around in circles with her tits bouncing up and down... WTF!!!

just kidding!
Congratulations D!

twonabomber
02-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Emily got it!

clarathecarrot
02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Emily won best in the sporting group tonight next she will face the all breeds thing and see if she will be the best in show.

Most excellent

Panamark
02-14-2012, 09:13 PM
WOW ! Congrats Shoes and Emily !! :high5:

sadaist
02-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Emily got it!

Sweet ass! The Roth is strong in Shoes. Thanks for the updates guys.

lesfunk
02-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Emily is Magnificent!

Dan
02-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Doggy Style.:D

clarathecarrot
02-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Dang! Shoes Emily knocked it out of the park in every catagory as far as I am concerned, granted I wanted the best for a RA member but she really was just incredible in what I saw as qualities of the best.

For the Best in show I had listed
1.Irish Setter..she was the bomb complete package of style.
2.Doberman..freeking great looking.
3.Wire Haired Dachsun..completely darling little dog with great look in his eyes.
4.Dalmation...looked and acted so much better than the other I haven't mentioned.

I honestly thought if I may, that the winner had a raggedy coat and was marked not very interestingly and didn't show any interest in where it even was. I had this dog listed as why is it even there..lol

Lap dogs always win.. I guess because they get bought up the most by people..

I hope you don't mind me talking jazz about something I really am not qualified to speak on..

Rock On!

twonabomber
02-15-2012, 04:28 AM
one of the dogs that was up just before Emily was from Concord Township, Ohio, which is about ten minutes away from my place.

ZahZoo
02-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Congrats Shoes & Emily!!! Found a pic and a mention of Emily on Fox Sports web site...

Shall we start referring to Emily as a "Momshell"..?

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2012/02/15/021412-westminster-day-2-LN-G6_20120215001151208_600_400.JPG

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/gallery/westminster-kennel-club-dog-show-day-2-021412#photo-title=&photo=30681624

Article...

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/top-breeds-at-Westminster-Dog-Show-news-updates-021312

Updated Feb 15, 2012 12:59 AM ET

NEW YORK (AP)

Malachy the Pekingese, whose smushed-in face frames a mop of flyaway fur and whose pace rivals a snail's, is the fairest dog in the land.
westminster kennel club dog show
KISSES
What better way to celebrate Valentine's Day at the Westminster Kennel Club dog show than with the one you love?

The Peke put on a peak performance Tuesday night, wobbling off with best in show at the Westminster Kennel Club.

This little stump of a dog beat out the likes of a Dalmatian, German shepherd, Doberman pinscher, Irish setter, a Kerry blue terrier and wire-haired dachshund to become America's most prized pooch.

"He saved all his energy for the ring today," handler David Fitzpatrick said.

The 4-year-old Malachy won his 115th overall best in show title. The crowd was clearly was on his side, hollering his name at Madison Square Garden.

Fitzpatrick gave his 11-pound champ a bit of help — he carried him onto the green carpet for the final lineup, shortening the long walk around the ring. Malachy's pink tongue popped out from his black face, his eyes sparkling like black diamonds as he soaked in the cheers.

"No other dog moves like this," Fitzpatrick said. It's true, as a Pekingese is supposed to move with a "slow and dignified" gait.

Malachy chilled out after his win, resting his silver and white coat on a cool pack. He had plenty of time to get ready, having won the toy group Monday night.

"I kept him quiet all day," Fitzpatrick said.
westminster kennel club dogs and handlers
HANDLE IT
Good dogs need good handlers at the Westminster dog show.

Judge Cindy Vogels chose Malachy in front of adoring fans. The No. 2 show dog in the nation this year had heard it before, having taken the toy group here last February.

"Super dog, and he had a stupendous night," she said. "There's a lot of dog in a small package."

The champion at Westminster wins a coveted silver bowl, but not a cent. Instead, the prestige of this title lasts a lifetime for any owner, and brings a wealth of opportunity in breeding potential.

This was the fourth time a Peke won at Westminster, and the first since 1990. Fitzpatrick, who's also a co-owner, said Malachy was likely headed back to East Berlin, Pa., for a life in retirement.

"He'll probably chase squirrels and he'll be pampered," Fitzpatrick said.

Right before the champion was picked, two PETA members were stopped by security as they tried to reach the center ring, drawing boos from the crowd. A few years ago, two protesters from PETA disrupted the presentation.

Several top choices lost out early as underdogs ruled the breed judging.
westminster kennel club dog show
CHIN UP
Who had the best pooch at the first day of the Westminster Kennel Club dog show?

A black cocker spaniel called Beckham who was the nation's No. 1 show dog and a wire fox terrier named Eira picked by many to win proved once again it takes more than a great reputation to own this carpet.

Because no matter how many blue ribbons or silver bowls or shiny trophies any dog brings to Westminster, there's a phrase that ultimately decides who wins the top prize.

"Dog on the day," fanciers say.

More than 2,000 purebred dogs were entered overall and Marlene Ness came from Canada to show her black cocker, Ace, at Westminster for the first time. Her main opposition? Beckham, a popular pick to win the whole thing.

Yet on this day, Ace was aces.

"I should have bought a Lotto ticket," Ness said.

The fans gathered around Ring 3 seemed to sense an upset, cheering for Beckham but then yelling for the smoother-looking Ace. Judge Donald Sturz Jr. studied them intently, checking their body type and making them run around several times before making his final choice.

On this afternoon, Ace was in the right place. Best dog of his breed.

"Today was our day," Ness said. "Eye of the tiger, baby!"

Ace, however, was topped by Emily the Irish setter in the sporting round. Emily was a favorite of working moms — she had a litter of 15 last May.

Eira made a real early exit. She won the prestigious National dog show that was televised on Thanksgiving Day and was the top terrier last year. That meant a lot — terriers often rule Westminster, with wire foxes winning the silver bowl more than any other kind.

It was, however, a really big day for a Tibetan mastiff, and even more so for his owners.

Major won his breed, a nice start for Debbie Parsons and Brad Slayton. A few hours later, the co-owners from the Seattle area made it a special Valentine's Day — they got married in the backstage benching area where hundreds of dogs are housed.

With dogs brushing by, people climbing on crates to get a better view and the total crush of the crowd, it made for a somewhat chaotic scene. Cherilyn Frei, a chaplain and director of family support for Ronald McDonald House in New York and the wife of Westminster television host David Frei, performed the 5-minute ceremony.

The 54-year-old Parsons wore a pale pink Vera Wang gown and the 58-year-old Slayton donned a silver tux, with each sporting accents of Westminster purple. The 120-pound Major stood right between them, giving away the bride, and they kissed him to celebrate.

"This dog brought us together," Slayton said. "Today," he added, choking up, "I bought a Valentine's Day card for my wife, not my girlfriend."

Jagermeister
02-15-2012, 09:24 AM
That's awesome.

LUDWIG USA
02-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Congratulations shoes, I got to see her make her run, they focused a lot on her strong neck before she took her run, she's a real beauty!!

Seshmeister
02-15-2012, 11:55 AM
"This dog brought us together," Slayton said. "Today," he added, choking up, "I bought a Valentine's Day card for my wife, not my girlfriend."

Well I still feel a bit sorry for the girlfriend.

sadaist
02-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Congrats Shoes & Emily!!! Found a pic and a mention of Emily on Fox Sports web site...

Shall we start referring to Emily as a "Momshell"..?

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2012/02/15/021412-westminster-day-2-LN-G6_20120215001151208_600_400.JPG

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/gallery/westminster-kennel-club-dog-show-day-2-021412#photo-title=&photo=30681624

Beautiful dog. Awww hai poochers.

Jagermeister
02-15-2012, 01:31 PM
The only experience I have ever had with setter's was when I was pretty young. Neighbor had 2 of them. They are really cool dogs. Don't really know why you don't see more of them around. Maybe to hot for them here. I don't know. They are really pretty though.

Sensible Shoes
02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
What a night - I got to NYC just in time to see the group, and NEVER NEVER thought she could win it - she's without a LOT of her feathering since she had puppies in May. But it happened and i was a wild woman with my friends. I did not get to go out and celebrate, I drove home right after. Emily was glad to see me as she laid in her princess bed in the grooming area after. But she's really Adam's baby now and she will live with him for the rest of her days. The two of them are bonded at the hip as you probably saw. she was such a card out there jumping for her bait when she was supposed to be free stacking. God I love that dog and what a thrill it has been to own her.

twonabomber
02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
the Plain Dealer ran the AP story on the second page, and a pic of Adam and Emily was in there too!

kwame k
02-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Outstanding news, Shoes:beers8:

Sensible Shoes
02-15-2012, 07:02 PM
the Plain Dealer ran the AP story on the second page, and a pic of Adam and Emily was in there too!

Oh wow, can you save me a copy?

twonabomber
02-15-2012, 08:29 PM
already done. :D i will bring it to Buffalo.

i was just glad i could be a small tiny part of the whole thing.

ODShowtime
02-15-2012, 09:40 PM
I was vapin' and listening to the NEW VAN HALEN ALBUM and watching the old dog show the last few nights. Good times. Good dogs.

Sensible Shoes
02-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Sweet ass! The Roth is strong in Shoes. Thanks for the updates guys.

I had the confetti with me!

Sensible Shoes
02-17-2012, 03:07 PM
One last bump and I will quit - the last time an Irish Setter won the Sporting Group at Westminster, the original VH was still together. 1984 - Ch. Meadowlark's Anticipation.

Jagermeister
02-17-2012, 03:15 PM
One last bump and I will quit - the last time an Irish Setter won the Sporting Group at Westminster, the original VH was still together. 1984 - Ch. Meadowlark's Anticipation.

What makes a setter a sporting dog?

Sensible Shoes
02-17-2012, 03:50 PM
The sporting group are the bird hunters. Pointers, Setters, Retreivers, Spaniels and a few more breeds that are even more specialized. The setters (Irish, English, Gordon and Irish Red and White) are bred to hunt upland birds by "setting" - a crouch position when they find the bird, and then the hunters can throw nets over them and the birds.

Emily does not do this. Her sister does.

Jagermeister
02-17-2012, 04:06 PM
The sporting group are the bird hunters. Pointers, Setters, Retreivers, Spaniels and a few more breeds that are even more specialized. The setters (Irish, English, Gordon and Irish Red and White) are bred to hunt upland birds by "setting" - a crouch position when they find the bird, and then the hunters can throw nets over them and the birds.

Emily does not do this. Her sister does.

SO they are wimps compared to a Lab? :biggrin: I'm j/k. Like I said I haven't seen one in 30 years probably.

Dan
02-17-2012, 04:08 PM
SO they are wimps compared to a Lab? :biggrin: I'm j/k. Like I said I haven't seen one in 30 years probably.

Maybe You Should Get A Hairy Dog Up You For That Comment.:D :hitch:

Sensible Shoes
02-17-2012, 11:53 PM

technically yes. The Retrievers go out in the water to retrieve shot fowl. The irish are happy to go out in the water and play fetch, but I don't know if they'd be good at going to retrieve game though you could probably train them to do it. They're really bred to run.

Jagermeister
02-20-2012, 03:44 PM
technically yes. The Retrievers go out in the water to retrieve shot fowl. The irish are happy to go out in the water and play fetch, but I don't know if they'd be good at going to retrieve game though you could probably train them to do it. They're really bred to run.

I am a lab lover. Use to have two but had to put one down. Hardest thing I have ever done in my life. :(

sadaist
02-20-2012, 04:10 PM
I am a lab lover. Use to have two but had to put one down. Hardest thing I have ever done in my life. :(

Recently had to put down both my boxers for different reason. I regret both & question myself every single fucking day if I did the right thing....and I truly believe I failed my best friends. Kills me and I don't wish that on anyone. So I know your pain Jager. I'm honestly sorry for you and your friend.

sadaist
02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
I am a lab lover. Use to have two

Got any pics you can share?

I know this is Shoes pups thread, but I don't think she would mind some other pals showing their mugs here. Who doesn't want more doggies?

These were my babies. Daffney & Evander. (and then a solo of Daff with her snaggletooth) Would let a 3 year old tug their ears while they ate a steak bone and not even flinch except maybe to lick the kids face. I raised them well.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/sadaist/Dogs.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/sadaist/dafftooth.jpg

Sensible Shoes
02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
They are with us such a short time - there has to be enough in it for you to put yourself through it again and again, don't you think?

sadaist
02-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Last thing for everyone in here that has or had pups. This always makes me feel a little bit better. Silly yes, but who gives a shit.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Sensible Shoes
02-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Oh God the Rainbow Bridge. I can't even read it again.

Thanks for sharing your pics - of course I don't mind!

Jagermeister
02-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Recently had to put down both my boxers for different reason. I regret both & question myself every single fucking day if I did the right thing....and I truly believe I failed my best friends. Kills me and I don't wish that on anyone. So I know your pain Jager. I'm honestly sorry for you and your friend.

They are with us such a short time - there has to be enough in it for you to put yourself through it again and again, don't you think?

I don't know. I had that dog a long time and she was really sick. Now I have the other one that's not getting any younger.

I'll dig up some pics. lol. Boxers crack me up.

Sensible Shoes
02-20-2012, 07:53 PM
http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/videos/#/Best%20In%20Show/2012

Best in Show

Sensible Shoes
02-22-2012, 02:45 PM
85058506And I have to purchase any of them to use them. They'll never find them here though.

Seshmeister
02-23-2012, 07:08 AM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee43/Seshmeister/clr_p1.jpg

Sensible Shoes
04-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Just sitting here waiting for updates for Greensboro - so What the hell - here is the link to watch the sporting group. I watch it almost every day - giggle.

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/videos/#/Best%20of%20Group/2012/vid:17901019

So this is love
04-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Just sitting here waiting for updates for Greensboro - so What the hell - here is the link to watch the sporting group. I watch it almost every day - giggle.

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/videos/#/Best%20of%20Group/2012/vid:17901019

:boom:

Angel
04-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Ha ha. Saw the words "Attention Whore" and thought someone had posted in my attention whore thread. What the hell, I'm attention whoring anyway, here's a clip for you: