PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Dave album

Steve Savicki
01-13-2004, 10:54 AM
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MUSIC&pid=6007692&cart=172523055

Average Rating: 2.8 stars out of 5

(8 reviews submitted) List All Reviews
Eclectic Dave ?
This is not a normal DLR release where he rocks the house like he did with his DLR Band cd from 1998 (which is his best solo cd in my opinion). This cd is more like Your Filthy Little Mouth from 1994. It's also similar to his Crazy From the Heat E.P. circa 1985. It's just Dave being Dave while making a light hearted and off beat album which would normally be very cool. If only we had the one and only "Mighty Van Halen" to go to as our main source of Dave rock, this cd would not be such a disappointment to us all.
Submitted by a reviewer in Houston, TX

Dave Makes A Welcome Return...And He's Still Got It!
Blimey, this album was welcome, if only as an antedote to the terminally depressing releases of bands like Coldplay and Radiohead. This album is pure sunshine. I don't get why people knock Dave...he doesn't have anything to prove- he seems to be making the albums he wants to make and I for one love it. I feel sorry for people that didn't 'get' 'Your Filthy Little Mouth'...there were some great songs on that. Ok, so he's not written much on this effort, but he's still pretty irresistible, and from the tecnicolour artwork Dave still seems to be enjoying himself somewhat! I've knocked off one star for the use of the world 'splurge' in 'Bad Habits' from his Vegas sessions. Nevertheless, can't wait for his UK shows in November!!
Submitted by a reviewer in Surrey, UK

What Is This..........
Come on DAVE Give us a break ...!!! GO BACK TO VAN HALEN RIGHT NOW!!!!!!
Submitted by jpm1@otenet.gr in ATHENS GREECE

Time to Retire
Diamond Dave has lost his luster. I doubt Lloy'ds of London would insure any part of his body at this point. He obviously can't write music anymore, so he tries to interpret covers. Every rendition is best left to the original artist. Time for Dave to give up and retire.
Submitted by a reviewer in Washington, DC

Blah
Not like he used to be. I love DLR, but I didn't find one song I liked.
Submitted by a reviewer in Apple Valley, MN

Well, some people say it's time for him to retire.

Laceration
01-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Have you listened to the album yet for yourself?

Sarge
01-13-2004, 01:12 PM
I liked it.. for what it is..

Catfish
01-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Yes, it tis what it tis.

Steve Savicki
01-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Laceration
Have you listened to the album yet for yourself?
Nope; wish I had the money to... still have Christmas bills to pay off.
With a question like that, what's the point of those reviews that all the online music stores have?
If they maintain a bunch of bad reviews, their CDs wouldn't sell. Not a good way of handling business, unless there's something I missed.

diamond den™
01-13-2004, 02:49 PM
I haven't heard it and honestly, I ain't too interested in it either :)

Va Beach VH Fan
01-13-2004, 06:04 PM
Well, I'll just say this....

If you're looking for the second coming of Fair Warning, don't bother buying it...

Having said that, it wasn't my cup of tea...

Dave needs to rocking, as opposed to the stuff he's doing on that CD...

DLR7884
01-14-2004, 02:06 AM
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of that album.

Bought it, listened to it all the way through, didn't listen to it for about 2 months.

Then I put it back on and reminded myself why.

YFLM is a better album than the new one.

Dave did what he does best on DLR Band.

DLR7884
C'mon Dave, snort a huge fucking line and put something out that rocks.

Wolverine
01-14-2004, 09:56 AM
this cd was a rubout!!

partymonger
01-14-2004, 12:58 PM
ya, the album isn't fantastic, it's ok, DLR and the band need to rock....
Maybe Dave just did it to get the record label, to get the tour promotion, just to be able to get out on the road, which is what Dave does the best!!! LIVE

He is still the best front man out there, hands down

Lou
01-14-2004, 04:11 PM
It's just God-awful, trust me you're not missing anything. I agree that YFLM was better. It was WAY better actually. At least YFLM has some memorable songs on it like "She's My Machine" and "Experience." In fact all the DLR solo albums prior to this one, even though there were some low points, had memorable cuts. Not this one. There's just nothing on it that makes me go "Wow, Dave's still got it." In fact I think the opposite :(

A bunch of covers and then, to break up what little continuity the album had, a formulaic DLR Band leftover not even re-done by his new band. That explains why as of Dec. 1, 2003 Metal Sludge reported the album sales to be a little over 12,000 copies. Ugh.

VanJay011379
01-14-2004, 04:32 PM
I liked it but I think I was dissapointed for the same reason everyone else was. The reason being, we all expected another DLR Band album.

Didn't DLR at one point say they were working on a new album of originals. I could have swore he did. Somewhere along the line it dissapeared and was replaced with a cover album.

That being said, I think the other problem with the Diamond Dave album was there really are no explosive songs. All the songs seem rather tame.

Lou
01-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Well he said "new material." Maybe to him, "new material" just means a new album even though it's all covers.

And there are no explosive songs, another major problem with the album.

Dave's PA Rental
01-14-2004, 05:52 PM
very, very, VERY disappointed with this album. I think that not only am I a 'classic' Van Halen fan, I am also only a 'classic' DLR fan...

do I get smacked for that?

damngoodtimes
01-14-2004, 05:53 PM
from what i've heard from Ray and the guys (first and second-hand), they did in fact have plenty of originals written and recorded.

Dave just didn't feel like doing that record. he felt like, finally having been freed from the on-again-off-again grind of "reunion blues" that really went for 6 years, he didn't want to do a "Van Halen type" record.

good for him. I think Diamond Dave was just fuckin' stellar. that type of music just suits his voice perfectly. and, if all y'all don't get that side of Dave, so be it. everyone's got their own tastes.

but you're missing out on a big part of who Dave is.

damngoodtimes
01-14-2004, 05:59 PM
one more thing...

my brother-in-law is about 47 - almost Dave's age. he's not really a VH fan, but he can dig Dave's thing. if you asked him who the singer of VH is? he'd say Dave and nobody else.

he's one of my favorite guys to talk music and listen to music with. great classic rocker. Beatles. Stones. Bowie. etc. but likes the new stuff in that vein as well.

well, he grew up on a lot of the same music that Dave did. I gave him this CD for Xmas. well, after giving it a spin, he had to call me right up. he called it "outrageous" - which, from him, is very much a compliment.

he's already turned a few friends on to it.

Dave'll get back to the VH stuff, just be patient.

but this is part of Dave, too.

Dave's PA Rental
01-14-2004, 06:18 PM
excellent points

rustoffa
01-14-2004, 08:51 PM
didn't Dave say that it was the soundtrack from his youth or something?It sucks?Geeezus.....here's a nice kiddie pool with a llama in it....it's shallow and there's plenty of room....
http://members.aol.com/cnorwoo627/pool.jpg

Osama Bin Laden
01-15-2004, 12:51 PM
Why do we not have this record in Saudi Arabia? Is it because DLR is a Jew?

Gmoney
01-15-2004, 01:04 PM
With the band Dave has now, he should be doing some kick ass rockers instead of cover tunes.

flappo
01-15-2004, 01:43 PM
..12k?

..jesterstar's last mp3 beat that !

azcrdnal
01-16-2004, 12:30 AM
it was a piece of shit

ZahZoo
01-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Diamond Dave isn't a rocker... but it is a great summertime kickback and groove record. We played it a bunch hangin at the lake this summer on the boat.

I do like the overall production of it and frankly the DLR band is a great bunch of musicians, which shows.

I am hoping Dave's next release is more of a rocker... It would be interesting to hear what type of compositions Brian and Toshi could cook up. I like their Hideous Sun Demon stuff, although it's a bit too much in the fusion genre for Dave to put lyrics to... or maybe not...

Steve Savicki
01-16-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Osama Bin Laden
Why do we not have this record in Saudi Arabia? Is it because DLR is a Jew?

Probably because greedy Warner Bros. Record execs don't want to spend the money to open a CD manufacturing plant over there.

MAX
01-17-2004, 02:36 AM
Shoo Bop, Medicine Man, Soul Kitchen, Let It All Hang Out, and Thug Pop kick ass!!!! Those songs are well worth the purchase. Plus, "The BeatlesTune" a.k.a. "Tomorrow Never Knows" is great!!! Now, Dave fucking owns that song!!!!

Now it's due time for a real Roth and Roll album!!! You did your sequel to CFTH now give us the sequel to EEAS with your stellar fucking lineup!!!

meanstreet
01-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Well, with only one original (Thug Pop) on the entire friggin CD worth listening to, ibuying it was more for the fact that we hadn't heard ANYTHING from Dave in 4-5 years, so it makes sense to grab it while you can. (try to find the '98 DLR Band CD -- it's out of print and really hard to find)

Thug Pop does rule, but it was actually written back in '98 with the DLR band from '98 (not this current lineup) and wasn't released.

So essenitally, because of that, and the fact that all of the rest of the tunes on it are covers, there really is NO new material featured on it.

By far, for me anyway, a real bummer.

If you liked the '98 DLR Band CD, and dig great rock music with a Rock Roth edge to it, you'll be dissappointed in the "new" one

If you haven't bought it yet, check out YFLM ('94) instead -- it totally outshines the new one

Lou
01-17-2004, 07:20 PM
I don't even like Thug Pop. It's not atrocious, I just don't like it. It sounds like it was written in 10 minutes, following a standard rock formula. I swear to God even before it got to the end of the song I knew it was going to end with that abruptness that all the "alternative rock" songs end with.

ELVIS
01-17-2004, 10:05 PM
You must be psychic...

I like most of the album but 'Ice Cream Man 2' is disgraceful and 'If 6 was Nine' is even worse...

DLR7884
01-18-2004, 05:31 AM
No shit, when I heard Dave was going to do a cover of "If 6 Was 9" I was really excited to hear it.

After I heard the little sound clip on the Magna Carta website I was puzzled as to why he would choose such a cool song to butcher the fuck out of.

DLR7884
C'mon Dave, give me a break!

Golden AWe
01-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Shoo-Bop sounds great live...that and few other songs would sound a lot better if they we're bonus tracks on a record that's mostly new tunes...a'la DLR Band...

VHND
01-18-2004, 11:37 PM
I thought DD shit all over YFLM. YFLM has it's moments (She's My Machine and A Little Luck are outstanding), but I never got into the rest of it.

Production wise I thought DD was better than DLR Band.

I understand it's not everybody's cup of tea, but like I always say, it's better than 99% of the other new shit that's coming out.

ELVIS
01-18-2004, 11:41 PM
Not necessarily...

TMR
01-20-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by MAX
Shoo Bop, Medicine Man, Soul Kitchen, Let It All Hang Out, and Thug Pop kick ass!!!! Those songs are well worth the purchase. Plus, "The BeatlesTune" a.k.a. "Tomorrow Never Knows" is great!!! Now, Dave fucking owns that song!!!!

Now it's due time for a real Roth and Roll album!!! You did your sequel to CFTH now give us the sequel to EEAS with your stellar fucking lineup!!!

One more song I would add to you list....BAD HABITS with GREG BISSONETTE ON DRUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great song......EEAS Reunion would be exactly what the doctor ordered.

damngoodtimes
01-21-2004, 07:09 AM
oh yeah, tmr's back and he's talkin' up EEAS!!!

the more thing's change, the more they stay the same.

Sarge
01-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by VHND
I thought DD shit all over YFLM. YFLM has it's moments (She's My Machine and A Little Luck are outstanding), but I never got into the rest of it.

Production wise I thought DD was better than DLR Band.

I understand it's not everybody's cup of tea, but like I always say, it's better than 99% of the other new shit that's coming out.

Hey welcome Grant..
Nice to see you post
Sarge

Figs
11-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Oh fuck you. Fuck the lot of you. Fuck you all.