PDA

View Full Version : Please DONT Play It Again.... (Sam)

Sweet Irony
02-18-2012, 09:28 PM
There are some tunes that I could live happily ever after...NEVER hearing again!

First up is 'Sweet Home Alabama'...

Im talking on radio...wedding receptions...Sirius...tupperware parties...Your basic...Enough Already!!!!!! :D

Sweet Irony
02-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Fly Like An Eagle comes to mind next.....

hambon4lif
02-18-2012, 10:15 PM
If I never hear "Hotel California" ever again, I could somehow live with that.....

FORD
02-18-2012, 10:27 PM
"How Do I Know When It's Love"
"Love Comes Walking In"
"Can't Stop Loving You"
"I Love Alien Anal Probes"

ashstralia
02-18-2012, 10:33 PM
brown eyed girl... sad fact of fiscal reality is if you're in a band, you're going to have to play songs you hate. so change 'em up; make 'em your own i say.

hambon4lif
02-18-2012, 10:36 PM
It's a safe bet that sooner or later someone's gonna say "Stairway To Heaven", and I don't blame them. But once every 5 years it will catch me in the right mood (baked), and that fucking song still works for me....

gbranton
02-19-2012, 12:04 AM
I LOVE KISS but for fuck's sake enough with the Rock and Roll All Night shit.

As a kid, you hear that they are gonna be on a show, you beg your parents to stay up late and and they play RARAN......later in life you read they are gonna be on a show or in a movie, you come home early from your date or make sure you are by a tv.....so you can hear RARAN........Dressed To Kill, Alive!, Alive III, Double Platinum, Killers, Unplugged, You Wanted the Best, Alive 35, Smashes Thrashes and Hits, Greatest KISS, The Very Best of, Gold, every fucking one has RARAN on it..............later in life you buy VHS tapes and then DVDs, only to be fucking bludgeoned by this song again and again...........and to top it all off now, at age 47 I still catch them on a show or something, hoping they will play something besides RARAN, thinking of all the songs they've done that you love that you would love to hear them do and all the years you've hoped they would.........but NO. FUCK NO!

Now I want to vomit every time I hear the fucking song.

FORD
02-19-2012, 01:20 AM
brown eyed girl... sad fact of fiscal reality is if you're in a band, you're going to have to play songs you hate. so change 'em up; make 'em your own i say.

Looks like these guys took your advice......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JctNzrNEc08

I'm not the biggest fan of neo-ska bands, but I think they did a decent job with it.

FORD
02-19-2012, 01:23 AM
I LOVE KISS but for fuck's sake enough with the Rock and Roll All Night shit.

As a kid, you hear that they are gonna be on a show, you beg your parents to stay up late and and they play RARAN......later in life you read they are gonna be on a show or in a movie, you come home early from your date or make sure you are by a tv.....so you can hear RARAN........Dressed To Kill, Alive!, Alive III, Double Platinum, Killers, Unplugged, You Wanted the Best, Alive 35, Smashes Thrashes and Hits, Greatest KISS, The Very Best of, Gold, every fucking one has RARAN on it..............later in life you buy VHS tapes and then DVDs, only to be fucking bludgeoned by this song again and again...........and to top it all off now, at age 47 I still catch them on a show or something, hoping they will play something besides RARAN, thinking of all the songs they've done that you love that you would love to hear them do and all the years you've hoped they would.........but NO. FUCK NO!

Now I want to vomit every time I hear the fucking song.

But did you ever hear it like this? :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqzs_8lRW0M

gbranton
02-19-2012, 01:26 AM
But did you ever hear it like this? :biggrin:

FUCK YES. That lame assed shit was on "KISS My Ass", which I bought as well. Sorry to have left it off the list but I've been trying to forget it and I was ALMOST there.

FORD
02-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Fly Like An Eagle comes to mind next.....

I actually liked that song better in it's original psychedelic-funk-blues version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6lAwbE1J4

FORD
02-19-2012, 01:40 AM
FUCK YES. That lame assed shit was on "KISS My Ass", which I bought as well. Sorry to have left it off the list but I've been trying to forget it and I was ALMOST there.

"KISS My Ass" was a decent album for the most part, but I actually liked the indie- KISS tribute album "Hard to Believe" a little better.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/pglitwin/Coffin%20Break%20Recordings/HardtoBelieve-s.jpg

The bands on this album weren't exactly household names at the time this record was made (1990), but one of them would gain recognition very soon.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eTT1llaZtc

gbranton
02-19-2012, 02:00 AM
"KISS My Ass" was a decent album for the most part, but I actually liked the indie- KISS tribute album "Hard to Believe" a little better.

No, you are right, I didn't feel nearly as screwed I did after I bought that as, say Psycho Circus for example. The Anthrax tune (She) was solid and I even enjoyed hearing Garth Brooks' take on Hard Luck Woman. I haven't heard the Hard To Believe album, I'll have to check it out.

Unchainme
02-19-2012, 02:18 AM
There's a few, but I'll start with the media darling right now.

ADELE.

I'm tired of her overplayed, whiny ass, cookie cutter bullshit getting played every time I click over the radio.

ashstralia
02-19-2012, 02:37 AM
funny too how the borders determine the market. in oz, our only exposure to 'don't fear the reaper' was via the simpsons.

but you, my stateside friends, have probably had that hammered into you since birth.

hey FORD, if axl saw our rendition of sweet child o mine last night he'd sue us for unnecessary creativity...:biggrin:

FORD
02-19-2012, 02:58 AM
and I even enjoyed hearing Garth Brooks' take on Hard Luck Woman.

Backed by the boys themselves, no less....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEllt2aUriQ

....still say they should have done it in makeup. Garth could have used the design from his album cover......

http://www.musicchartheaven.com/ArtistG2/TheHitsGarthBrooksalbumcover.png

Grant
02-19-2012, 03:46 AM
The other day I was getting a hair cut, and over the radio came 'Oops, I Did It Again!'...I honestly thought that song had been dead, buried, cremated. Made for a very angry experience having to stomach that all over again...

Any of the pop crap of same calibre that came out in 2000s would be very liberating never having to hear again...no more Black Eyed Peas...no more Pussycat Dolls...no more Beyonce...

Ah, the serenity...

Dave's Bitch
02-19-2012, 06:12 AM
Smoke on the water.I worked in a music store and the amount of guys would walk in who are new to guitar and sit down and play that god damn riff :anger:

gbranton
02-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Backed by the boys themselves, no less....

....still say they should have done it in makeup. Garth could have used the design from his album cover......

I remember reading about Gene and Paul flying to Memphis to record that. You can listen to the background vocals and clearly hear that it is them. I have always enjoyed listening to the backing vocals on the old KISS albums, you can really hear Gene and Paul's voices backing each other up.

Unchainme
02-19-2012, 08:55 PM
The other day I was getting a hair cut, and over the radio came 'Oops, I Did It Again!'...I honestly thought that song had been dead, buried, cremated. Made for a very angry experience having to stomach that all over again...

Any of the pop crap of same calibre that came out in 2000s would be very liberating never having to hear again...no more Black Eyed Peas...no more Pussycat Dolls...no more Beyonce...

Ah, the serenity...

Going to cross post this from another forum I frequent on the past decade, and 1999 in particular.

1999 was just a terrible year for music.

The internet was in it's infancy so there really wasn't a "Black Keys" band that would get buzz, and MTV had begun to devolve into a reality show oriented network, the only outlets available to listen to new music were pretty heavily controlled. Radio had shifted from some average DJ playing a new record on the air, to whichever group "ClearChannel" chose to promote. MTV? Same. Gone were the days when you'd have a chance to see a group like Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, or Radiohead break in with a great song and video combo, we were now devolved to the lowest common denominator. If you didn't look like a model for Abercrombie or Sean John you were not getting airplay.

Pop? The Michael Jacksons and Madonna's who had dominated the past 20 years were now beginning to fade, leaving in it's wake a new crop of stars like Britney, Christina, The Backstreet Boys and N*Sync. Unlike again, the pop songs of the aforementioned 20 years, these seemed to have very little staying power, and you can't listen to any of them without cringing.

Hip-Hop? 2pac and Biggie dying the year before REALLY killed off the golden age of hip-hop, of which it's really still trying to recover from. By now, Bone-Thugz-N-Harmony were beginning to fade from the mainstream. Eminem was about a year or two away. We're not subjected to Puff Daddy/P Diddy/Diddy consistently using Biggie to stay in the limelight

Country? About now Nashville is pretty much becoming pretty pop. I'm not saying that the Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton's of the 70's and 80's wern't, but this was the beginning of the music genre trying to position itself to be popular with the Middle-america Middle Class/Lower Class 18-34 demo again that it hadn't really had back in the day. I can bet money, that a lot of those involved in "Country" acts from this time period on up, were really dreaming of becoming rock stars, and when that genre soon found itself dying out, they picked up an acoustic guitar and some dip and went to town.

Mainstream Rock? Really weak at the moment. I enjoyed the GooGoo Dolls, No Doubt and a bit of the Foo Fighters, but none of these really were great as the groups that existed in the earlier half of the decade. Also this was the beginning of the dreaded, terrible awful "Adult Contemporary/Adult Alternative" movement that still plagues us today.

Hard Rock? Guns N' Roses broke up in '94, Cobain killing himself (or murdererd if you prefer the conspiracy theory) had really halted the Alternative movement which was truly amazing to have seen happened. Aerosmith had just now started to go pop and sell out a bit. Van Halen? After Sammy Hagar leading them to mediocrity, and a 2 minute reunion with Dave on stage at the VMA's in '96, they came back with one of there worst albums with Gary Cherone in "Van Halen 3". This was also the beginnings of that terrible pseudo-punk rock movement which was started by Green Day and The Offspring, and which led us to having "Blink 182" and "Simple Plan" being labeled as such. By the way, quick rant here? Travis Barker sucks. I am tired of people labeling him as a great drummer, dude ain't got shit on Alex Van Halen, Tommy Lee, Buddy Rich, John Bonham or Neil Fucking Peart, so..please..shut up!

Electronic? Sadly very much overlooked. There was a lot of buzz for Daft Punk, The Crystal Method, Chemical Bros., Fatboy Slim and The Prodigy, but MTV seemed not to interested in the whole movement all that much. To me? they really missed on a great opportunity to breathe some fresh air into the industry that was sorely needing it at the time. Some of the videos made by these groups were amazing too, and even on the show "12 angry viewers" which featured actual MTV viewers picking out what videos to place in rotations, often times these sorts of groups would win! Alas, MTV didn't see it that way, and it's just now slowly starting to understand this.

Golden AWe
02-20-2012, 10:11 AM
"Unforgiven" and the street player version of "Tears in Heaven" or "Stairway to heaven" come to my mind...same with "Wonderwall". FUCK!

atomicpnk47
02-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Can't stand Dream On.....

Little Texan
02-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Crazy Train, Cult of Personality, and the same two or three songs from each band that they play every single fucking day in the same order on these classic rock stations!

Seshmeister
02-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah the one that's been bugging me on Classic Rock radio recently is Whitesnake's version of 'Ain't no love in the heart of the city'.

I have no idea what the appeal of that song is.

It only has one melody for both the verse and chorus and its not a good melody.

DONNIEP
02-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Frampton - Baby I love your Way
Bad Company - Feel Like Making Love
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
Doobie Brothers - Black Water
Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me

I could go on but these songs make me want to shoot my radio :pullinghair:

Sweet Irony
02-21-2012, 07:05 PM
UGH......RADAR LOVE.....ugh

Seshmeister
02-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me

The Classic Rock Radio Illuminati seem to have decided this is the Def Leppard song and we all need to listen to pop rock 'Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man' once a fucking hour...

Seshmeister
02-21-2012, 07:13 PM
UGH......RADAR LOVE.....ugh

Unless it's the White Lion version...

Seshmeister
02-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Although strictly speaking the video should end with cops opening the door to the gents toilet in the bar and being crushed under a ton of hair products...

nitroDave23
02-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Born In The USA.....

Fuck does that get OLD.

DLR Bridge
02-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Long story short. Got married 10 years ago. While we were planning the wedding, I worked it out with the DJ that he'd get half his money up front, and the other half if he made it through the wedding without playing Old Time Rock & Roll by Bob Seger. I loathe that song. Well, he not only earned his keep, but he peppered the evening with classic VH much to my delight.

LoungeMachine
02-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Two words....

:gulp:

MUSTANG SALLY

Keef
02-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Knocking On Heavens Door

Please..... never ever again :)

SunisinuS
02-21-2012, 07:56 PM
every hose has it's horn
Ain't nothing but a terrible time with a flat note singer...
(well let's face it...anything by the Aptly named Poison)

Paradise City. Sweet Child O' Mine.

Most anything by the New York Dolls.

Except for two tunes: Van Hagar.

Anything by Cocteau Twins makes me want to throw up (especially that "Hold my Heart" whatever crap).

Goody Two Shoes.

Purple Rain.

Ok need to do a Karen Carpenter after even dredging some of these up...

:sick0020::barf::shiznit:

Seshmeister
02-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Born In The USA.....

Fuck does that get OLD.

It was always old. You don't need to be able to read music to see that tune isn't fucking Mozart.

http://www.hamienet.com/Born-in-the-USA-sheet-music-page_3612-2-1.png

Seshmeister
02-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Sexy or scary?