PDA

View Full Version : What does Panama mean?

golitely
02-19-2012, 03:02 AM
My daughter asked me what Panama means in the song and I was stumped. I don't mean the overall song, but the word Panama within the context of the song. Just a cool sound to shout, or something more?

tjvhou812
02-19-2012, 03:08 AM
rookies

tjvhou812
02-19-2012, 03:14 AM
its one of daves cars

golitely
02-19-2012, 03:29 AM
Name of his car? OK, thanks. A lG enuff explanation for a 10-year.

jero
02-19-2012, 05:30 AM
a lovesong to his car

Panamark
02-19-2012, 07:40 AM
But why did he call his car Panama ??

Panama Red or something rings a bell.....

jero
02-19-2012, 09:23 AM
DLR : "You heard me talking about my Kadett Caravan 1969 in Dance the Night Away. The nickname for that blue 1969 Kadett Caravan was, "Panama" 'cause that was the farthest south that you could possibly go and still have a really corrupt good time. That car now, what I did is I had a friend of mine torch off the front engine lid, and at my house in Pasadena, California we have it bolted to the wall in the front hallway. You have the front engine compartment in the grill and the two front halves of wheels like that, and we mounted the windshield right up on the top of it okay? Like it came crashing through the wall of the hallway. And then what we did, is we went to a place called Ellis Mercantile which is where you rent all of the movie props that they make in Hollywood and all of these environments. There's a section that's very famous at Ellis Mercantile where all of the cowboys and Indians stuff is. So there's a whole stack of stuffed deer at Ellis Mercantile. And I bought one, and we sawed it neatly in half and took just the butt, the tail and the back legs and positioned it like it was coming through the windshield of my Opel Cadet station wagon, and hit it and ran through the wall of my house like that. And we painted the hooves blue, "Blue Suede Hooves." And underneath we have a little plaque that says, "My first deer, courtesy of Panama."

Jérôme Frenchise
02-19-2012, 09:57 AM
DLR : "You heard me talking about my Kadett Caravan 1969 in Dance the Night Away. The nickname for that blue 1969 Kadett Caravan was, "Panama" 'cause that was the farthest south that you could possibly go and still have a really corrupt good time. That car now, what I did is I had a friend of mine torch off the front engine lid, and at my house in Pasadena, California we have it bolted to the wall in the front hallway. You have the front engine compartment in the grill and the two front halves of wheels like that, and we mounted the windshield right up on the top of it okay? Like it came crashing through the wall of the hallway. And then what we did, is we went to a place called Ellis Mercantile which is where you rent all of the movie props that they make in Hollywood and all of these environments. There's a section that's very famous at Ellis Mercantile where all of the cowboys and Indians stuff is. So there's a whole stack of stuffed deer at Ellis Mercantile. And I bought one, and we sawed it neatly in half and took just the butt, the tail and the back legs and positioned it like it was coming through the windshield of my Opel Cadet station wagon, and hit it and ran through the wall of my house like that. And we painted the hooves blue, "Blue Suede Hooves." And underneath we have a little plaque that says, "My first deer, courtesy of Panama."

Cheers Jero!

Where did you take this from? "Crazy from the Heat"? I don't remember the passage, though I've read it three times.

BITEYOASS
02-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Probably about some hot chick from Panama?

golitely
02-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Checked CFTH and same story but without the name of the car.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Checked CFTH and same story but without the name of the car.

Must be from a special Dutch edition. :p

rocking ron
02-19-2012, 12:40 PM
My daughter asked me what Panama means in the song and I was stumped. I don't mean the overall song, but the word Panama within the context of the song. Just a cool sound to shout, or something more?

Panama was , Dave told this during his Radio Rodeo 'tour' in 2002, the name of a stripper in Albuqueque!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hitch:

motherchicken
02-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Wiki kind of has a couple explanations. It was about a race car called "The Panama Express". Then goes into the same story that it's Dave's Opel. It also mentions the car can be seen in a Dave video.

Momshell
02-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Wiki kind of has a couple explanations. It was about a race car called "The Panama Express". Then goes into the same story that it's Dave's Opel. It also mentions the car can be seen in a Dave video.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/19QCzwafsm8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/19QCzwafsm8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

about 15 seconds in you can see "Panama" ;)

kwame k
02-19-2012, 08:33 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/19QCzwafsm8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/19QCzwafsm8?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

about 15 seconds in you can see "Panama" ;)

@ 1:25 there's a better shot of it, too:)

golitely
03-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Was driving in the car yesterday and Panama came on the radio. I was able to use my new-found knowledge to impress my daughter—she who asked what Panama was. She asked me how I knew that, and of course, I gave credit where credit is due. Thanks everyone. Got rack up those hero points before puberty sets in.

Nitro Express
03-18-2012, 12:30 AM
I thought Panama was the name gave to his 51 Mercury. Notice it's that car that is in the video.

sadaist
03-18-2012, 12:36 AM
What? I thought the song was "Padded Bra"? ;)

Listening to Shoo Bop.....so glad Dave got back with Van Halen....and I'll just leave it at that.

sadaist
03-18-2012, 12:38 AM
Was driving in the car yesterday and Panama came on the radio. I was able to use my new-found knowledge to impress my daughter—she who asked what Panama was. She asked me how I knew that, and of course, I gave credit where credit is due. Thanks everyone. Got rack up those hero points before puberty sets in.

Wanna earn even more "Cool" points, point out that the WHHOOOOSH sound during the slow part is Eddies Lamborghini that they backed up to the studio & revved up the engine. People trip out & love when I point that out to them.

Nitro Express
03-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Probably true. Lamborghini V12 engines make that sound. One of the best sounding engines ever made. Of course people wreak them by over reving them without the proper warm up and the cylinder liners go loose. Never drive a Lamborghini hard until the temperature gauge starts to move off the peg.

sadaist
03-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Never drive a Lamborghini hard until the temperature gauge starts to move off the peg.

Yeah sure man. I'll be sure to make a note for the next time I hop into my Lambo.

Nitro Express
03-18-2012, 01:13 AM
I bought a 79 Countach with a blown engine. Had my cousin overhaul the engine and it's pretty much been a trouble free car since. I'm looking forward to the gas prices this summer. You can get into an exotic car for less money than you think but you have to buy used and work on them yourself. Also, know the VIN part numbers because a lot of the parts came from other suppliers. The Lamborghini dealer will charge you $25 for a spark plug. I always like the older Lamborghinis because they really were built to be road cars. Ferrari just made cars to finance his racing operation. Nothing too complicated. Just a tank of an engine and transmission. You either love em or hate em. Where the money is on a Countach is the tubular frame. I lucked out and found one that the leather hadn't shrunk or cracked. Replacing the leather interior is expensive as well. Most these cars have low miles. People buy them and find they are a pain to drive around and just keep them in their collection. One big problem is crud in the gas tank and shrinked cracked leather. You have to use a leather conditioner or it will happen. I have dumped far less money into my Lambo than I did into my boat when I owned one. The joke about BOAT stand's for Bust Out Another Thousand is true.

What's nice unlike a boat which you have to haul and launch and deal with all of that or an airplane which has it's issues, is an exotic car is right in your garage. You hop in a go. The only problem is they aren't happy under 90MPH and so you have to break the law to keep the car happy and the cops know it. LOL! I haven't gotten a speeding ticket yet.

Hardrock69
03-18-2012, 03:29 AM
*sigh*

ashstralia
03-18-2012, 03:41 AM
inorite?

lifestyles of the rich and vegas.

sadaist
03-18-2012, 10:14 AM
*sigh*

Ditto

The 2 best days of your life....

the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it.

I had a 19' ski boat with a Mercury 115 outboard. LOVED it but yeah...dumped a ton of money into it. Water skied at the river, lake, bay...and towards the end started fishing in San Diego Bay. Was great. Actually, I think I spent more money on the truck from towing the thing everywhere. Went through 2 transmission in 11 years. My S-10 Blazer just wasn't built for towing anything that heavy & for as long as I did.

Dave's Bitch
03-18-2012, 07:49 PM
post removed

Nickdfresh
03-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Panama was , Dave told this during his Radio Rodeo 'tour' in 2002, the name of a stripper in Albuqueque!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hitch:

Dave mentioned this in the breakdown of "Panama" during the 3/09 Buffalo gig...

Nitro Express
03-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Ditto

The 2 best days of your life....

the day you buy a boat and the day you sell it.

I had a 19' ski boat with a Mercury 115 outboard. LOVED it but yeah...dumped a ton of money into it. Water skied at the river, lake, bay...and towards the end started fishing in San Diego Bay. Was great. Actually, I think I spent more money on the truck from towing the thing everywhere. Went through 2 transmission in 11 years. My S-10 Blazer just wasn't built for towing anything that heavy & for as long as I did.

The 700R transmissions in those S-10 Blazers were horrible. I enjoyed my boat but it just was a money pit. It was more thirsty than any sports car is.

sadaist
03-18-2012, 09:15 PM
The 700R transmissions in those S-10 Blazers were horrible

Plus I was young & dumb. Only had the 2.6 liter engine and lifted the truck & put big tires on it. Not a good combo when you add towing a boat.