PDA

View Full Version : How would you reform National election campaign finance?

qikgts
02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Feel free to add to this thread with your own ideas or ones you champion...

This is something I have thought about for quite some time. I'm no political strategist or poly science major so this take on a deviation from the norm may seem like it's from left field... Feel free to beat on it...

From 30,000 feet I see it like this.

Since our candidates for National positions are raising money to hold office and win elections so they can perform work that benefits "We The People", I suggest that the fund raising process support that same goal; raise money for campaigns for all candidates that want to represent "We The People". In other words, all the money raised gets pooled together, accounted for and then finally, it gets split equally and given directly to the candidtes, not their parties. It's then used to fund all of the broadcasting, production and campaign expenses for those candidates.

But if changes were made, how would these oh so necessary political ads that almost totally make up the campaigns themselves get to "We The People"?

What I envision is 3 television networks (think c span) that air ads from specific political parties 24-7. That way if a potential voter wants to watch ad's, all they need to do is tune in. Dim's can be on one, Repukes on another, and the rest of 'em on a third. Being broadcast Nationally, everyone anywhere can see what all the candidates running to be a Congressman or for President have to say. Best of all, everyone will have the same amount of air time and production money to spend. A side benefit of this would be a new type of National conversation could arise. One that could work to unite us all, and our elected representatives while simultaneously conveying and aligning our National goals.

What about the money from those donors and lobbyists?

Politicians and candidates could still raise all the money they want but the fucksticks that give it to them won't have any say in who gets how much. If the fucksticks want to give money to the political process that's great and it's oh so very patriotic too!!! I think taking this approach cuts the financiers and their influence off at the knees because the candidates and the parties never get the money to begin with.
Lobbyists could still exist, it's just that they wouldn't be able to write checks directly to the parties or the politicians.

What about PAC's? Can they exist?

Sure. They just couldn't advertise on TV or give money directly to campaigns. If they want to advertise, it must be in print only. Not online, not on TV and not on the radio. Print only. After all, they are just "supporters" not participants.

I realize that there would be a need for hard a fast rules along with an appropriate lead time to implement something like this. I also think the electorate would think it was fair and in general would support a new idea to keep money and it's influence out of elections and politics. Everyone knows it's there, I say call it out and allow it to benefit the entire process...

Satan
02-22-2012, 01:30 PM
What it basically comes down to is accepting these three truths:

1) Corporations are NOT people.

2) Money is NOT speech.

3) The airwaves belong to the PEOPLE.

Shittizens United needs to be thrown out. It is the third worst Supreme Court decision ever. (Bush v Gore 12/12/2000 was #2. You have to go all the way back to the Dredd Scott decision to find one worse than that.)

ZahZoo
02-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Eliminate all campaign finance... all of it. Outlaw PAC's. All of them.

Set up a general fund... equally dispersed among the candidates to fund the following:

For Presidential races. Allow 2 taped campaign advertisements to run on all major networks and cable news outlets. Each candidate gets a microphone and a white board... talk and draw your leadership plan. Hold 4 debates over a two week period. Then hold a national primary. Top 3 move on. 2 more televised advertisements. 2 more debates. Everybody votes... winner take all. No more electoral college either.

Nitro Express
02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
What it basically comes down to is accepting these three truths:

1) Corporations are NOT people.

2) Money is NOT speech.

3) The airwaves belong to the PEOPLE.

Shittizens United needs to be thrown out. It is the third worst Supreme Court decision ever. (Bush v Gore 12/12/2000 was #2. You have to go all the way back to the Dredd Scott decision to find one worse than that.)

I would think you would have loved it. That court decision was totally satanic and guarantees the US will remain in a hellish state for a very long time.

Satan
02-22-2012, 07:52 PM
I would think you would have loved it. That court decision was totally satanic and guarantees the US will remain in a hellish state for a very long time.

Evil just doesn't mix well with stupidity.

Reagan was dumb. Quayle was dumber. Chimpy was a complete moron, and yet somehow Santorum seems to have even less brain cells than he did.

These people are just lousy representatives of Hell. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

Nickdfresh
02-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Shrink the actual campaign season to a very short one...