PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Oscars

Seshmeister
02-26-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm a bit late starting the thread this year - hope it's better than last year...

Seshmeister
02-26-2012, 08:40 PM
The complete list of nominees for the 84th Annual Academy Awards:

ACTOR IN A LEAD ROLE

Demin Bichir in "A Better Life"

George Clooney in "The Descendants"

Jean Dujardin in "The Artist"

Gary Oldman in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"

Brad Pitt in "Moneyball"

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Kenneth Branagh in "My Week with Marilyn

Jonah Hill in "Moneyball"

Nick Nolte in "Warrior"

Christopher Plummer in "Beginners"

Max von Sydow in "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Glenn Close in "Albert Nobbs"

Viola Davis in "The Help"

Rooney Mara in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

Meryl Streep in "The Iron Lady"

Michelle Williams in "My Week with Marilyn"

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Benice Bejo in "The Artist"

Jessica Chastain in "The Help"

Melissa McCarthy in "Bridesmaids"

Janet McTeer in "Albert Nobbs"

Octavia Spencer in "The Help"

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

"A Cat in Paris " Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli"

Chico & Rita "Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal

"Kung Fu Panda 2" Jennifer Yuh Nelson

"Puss in Boots" Chris Miller

"Rango" Gore Verbinski

ART DIRECTION

"The Artist" Production Design: Laurence Bennett; Set Decoration: Robert Gould

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" Production Design: Stuart Craig; Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan

"Hugo" Production Design: Dante Ferretti; Set Decoration: Francesca Lo Schiavo

"Midnight in Paris" Production Design: Anne Seibel; Set Decoration: Hélène Dubreuil

"War Horse" Production Design: Rick Carter; Set Decoration: Lee Sandales

CINEMATOGRAPHY

"The Artist" Guillaume Schiffman

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Jeff Cronenweth

"Hugo" Robert Richardson

"The Tree of Life" Emmanuel Lubezki

"War Horse" Janusz Kaminski

COSTUME DESIGN

"Anonymous" Lisy Christl

"The Artist" Mark Bridges

"Hugo" Sandy Powell

"Jane Eyre" Michael O'Connor

"W.E." Arianne Phillips

DIRECTING

"The Artist" Michel Hazanavicius

"The Descendants" Alexander Payne

"Hugo" Martin Scorsese

"Midnight in Paris" Woody Allen

"The Tree of Life" Terrence Malick

DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE)

"Hell and Back Again" Danfung Dennis and Mike Lerner

"If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front" Marshall Curry and Sam Cullman

"Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory" Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky

"Pina" Wim Wenders and Gian-Piero Ringel

"Undefeated" TJ Martin, Dan Lindsay and Richard Middlemas

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT)

"The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement" Robin Fryday and Gail Dolgin

"God Is the Bigger Elvis" Rebecca Cammisa and Julie Anderson

"Incident in New Baghdad" James Spione

"Saving Face" Daniel Junge and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy

"The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom" Lucy Walker and Kira Carstensen

FILM EDITING

"The Artist" Anne-Sophie Bion and Michel Hazanavicius

"The Descendants" Kevin Tent

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall

"Hugo" Thelma Schoonmaker

"Moneyball" Christopher Tellefsen

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

"Bullhead" Belgium

"Footnote" Israel

"In Darkness" Poland

"Monsieur Lazhar" Canada

"A Separation" Iran

MAKEUP

"Albert Nobbs" Martial Corneville, Lynn Johnston and Matthew W. Mungle

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" Nick Dudman, Amanda Knight and Lisa Tomblin

"The Iron Lady" Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)

"The Adventures of Tintin" John Williams

"The Artist" Ludovic Bource

"Hugo" Howard Shore

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" Alberto Iglesias

"War Horse" John Williams

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)

"Man or Muppet" from "The Muppets" Music and Lyric by Bret McKenzie

"Real in Rio"from "Rio" Music by Sergio Mendes and Carlinhos Brown Lyric by Siedah Garrett

BEST PICTURE

"The Artist" Thomas Langmann, Producer

"The Descendants" Jim Burke, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, Producers

"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" Scott Rudin, Producer

"The Help" Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan, Producers

"Hugo" Graham King and Martin Scorsese, Producers

"Midnight in Paris" Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum, Producers

"Moneyball" Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz and Brad Pitt, Producers

"The Tree of Life" Nominees to be determined

"War Horse" Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)

"Dimanche/Sunday" Patrick Doyon

"The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore" William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg

"La Luna" Enrico Casarosa

"A Morning Stroll" Grant Orchard and Sue Goffe

"Wild Life" Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)

"Pentecost" Peter McDonald and Eimear O'Kane

"Raju" Max Zähle and Stefan Gieren

"The Shore" Terry George and Oorlagh George

"Time Freak" Andrew Bowler and Gigi Causey

"Tuba Atlantic" Hallvar Witzø

SOUND EDITING

"Drive" Lon Bender and Victor Ray Ennis

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Ren Klyce

"Hugo" Philip Stockton and Eugene Gearty

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl

"War Horse" Richard Hymns and Gary Rydstrom

SOUND MIXING

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Bo Persson

"Hugo" Tom Fleischman and John Midgley

"Moneyball" Deb Adair, Ron Bochar, Dave Giammarco and Ed Novick

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Peter J. Devlin

"War Horse" Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson and Stuart Wilson

VISUAL EFFECTS

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and John Richardson

"Hugo" Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossman and Alex Henning

"Real Steel" Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg

"Rise of the Planet of the Apes" Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White and Daniel Barrett

"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Matthew Butler and John Frazier

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

"The Descendants" Screenplay by Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash

"Hugo" Screenplay by John Logan

"The Ides of March" Screenplay by George Clooney & Grant Heslov and Beau Willimon

"Moneyball" Screenplay by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin. Story by Stan Chervin

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" Screenplay by Bridget O'Connor & Peter Straughan

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

"The Artist" Written by Michel Hazanavicius

"Bridesmaids" Written by Annie Mumolo & Kristen Wiig

"Margin Call" Written by J.C. Chandor

"Midnight in Paris" Written by Woody Allen

"A Separation" Written by Asghar Farhadi

Seshmeister
02-26-2012, 08:58 PM
It only took 1 man to do the seat filling for J-Lo?

Seshmeister
02-26-2012, 10:20 PM
WIN for the Muppets!

DONNIEP
02-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Did the Man or Muppet song win?

Seshmeister
02-26-2012, 10:59 PM
It did!

DONNIEP
02-26-2012, 11:23 PM
It did!

And it should have! And even though I suddenly feel the need to explain why it was so good...fuck it. I won't.

Seshmeister
02-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Apparently Sammy Hagar is going to cover it.

Hardrock69
02-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Just watched the last half hour of the Oscars.

Sure, it is a big, bloated, self-congratulatory and obscene display of Hollywoodism, but I have to say this:

For all the fantastic motion pictures I have seen in my life, that have lifted my spirits when I was down, made me cry when I was up, made me stare in amazement at stuff I never thought possible to imagine, which have given me hope and despair, beautiful dreams and terrifying nightmares, and overall have provided the visual soundtrack to my existence, I am willing to concede that they should exist as an awards show, because I do not have the money, the power, or the elite connections to thank everyone responsible every year for the escapism they have provided to me, and to everyone on Earth.

Life is hard. It is like living in a warped version of someone else's hell some of the time, and of course we all need to have some manner in which we can escape the blues we all feel while wandering aimlessly down the footpath of life, and movies have provided me with MUCH escapism my whole life.

So despite the overbearing, pompous, arrogant, power-mad elitist bastards who rule Hollywood, I suppose I cannot criticize the actors, filmmakers and everyone who are honored at the Oscars.

They let me forget about my troubles.....if only for a little while.

And I cannot thank them enough for that.

DONNIEP
02-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Just watched the last half hour of the Oscars.

Sure, it is a big, bloated, self-congratulatory and obscene display of Hollywoodism, but I have to say this:

For all the fantastic motion pictures I have seen in my life, that have lifted my spirits when I was down, made me cry when I was up, made me stare in amazement at stuff I never thought possible to imagine, which have given me hope and despair, beautiful dreams and terrifying nightmares, and overall have provided the visual soundtrack to my existence, I am willing to concede that they should exist as an awards show, because I do not have the money, the power, or the elite connections to thank everyone responsible every year for the escapism they have provided to me, and to everyone on Earth.

Life is hard. It is like living in a warped version of someone else's hell some of the time, and of course we all need to have some manner in which we can escape the blues we all feel while wandering aimlessly down the footpath of life, and movies have provided me with MUCH escapism my whole life.

So despite the overbearing, pompous, arrogant, power-mad elitist bastards who rule Hollywood, I suppose I cannot criticize the actors, filmmakers and everyone who are honored at the Oscars.

They let me forget about my troubles.....if only for a little while.

And I cannot thank them enough for that.

I absolutely love the movies! I love everything about buying the ticket, right there, in line with everybody else. I love buying popcorn - and I'll never get over being able to put my own butter on my own bucket myself! And for me, every single time I see a new movie...I always see, in my mind, the first opening scenes of Indiana Jones or Star Wars...

Nitro Express
02-27-2012, 01:35 AM
I absolutely love the movies! I love everything about buying the ticket, right there, in line with everybody else. I love buying popcorn - and I'll never get over being able to put my own butter on my own bucket myself! And for me, every single time I see a new movie...I always see, in my mind, the first opening scenes of Indiana Jones or Star Wars...

I remember when they said home VCR's would kill off the movie theater business. It never happened. There now are two kinds of theaters, the bargain priced ones and the higher price ones with better seating and sound. Both seem to be busy. People just want to go out and the popcorn and all that is just not the same at home even if you have a cool home theater. I just think we need to put the movie business in perspective. It's entertainment. Period. We need to stop thinking it's more and stop letting it influence things like politics and thinking the people in the entertainment industry are experts regarding things like politics and the environment. We need to just see them as people who make movies and create an escape but realize the escape is not reality.

philouze
02-27-2012, 01:45 AM
Apparently, The Artist won a few Oscars. That's cool. I didn't see the movie, I probably will in a few years when all the buzz will be gone. Jean Dujardin is a fuckin Comedian. He started with his buddies and that wasn't funny at all. But since then, he had some cool career moves. If you wanna see him in a great movie, check out "Le Bruit Des Glaçons", a Bertrand Blier film with Albert Dupontel (illegitimate son of Monty Python). Now THAT deserves prizes.
I have spoken.

Grant
02-27-2012, 01:48 AM
This year I might end up watching the Oscars (albeit time delayed), or maybe just in parts, only because as I've seen, and enjoyed, some of the films that have been nominated this year round.

I saw "THE ARTIST" - and thought it was absolutely fantastic! Glad to see that it was given the Best Picture, Director, and Best Actor nods.

Seshmeister
02-27-2012, 05:04 AM
Billy Crystal did make one decent gag at the start about how in these difficult economic times it helps people to watch millionaires give each other gold statues.

I am a movie fan but some of the Hollywood shit is hard to take like listening to J-Lo tell you how it's important that actors get awards because they work so hard...

sadaist
02-27-2012, 07:16 AM
I met a boxer dog named Oscar once. That 5 minutes playing with him was more memorable than any Oscars TV broadcast I've ever seen.

sadaist
02-27-2012, 07:20 AM
I am a movie fan but some of the Hollywood shit is hard to take like listening to J-Lo tell you how it's important that actors get awards because they work so hard...

Yeah. I worked my ass off for 4 months to shoot that film and made $18 million dollars isn't quite as rough as my great-uncle working his ass off for 40 years mining coal for a grand total of less than $1 million.

Seshmeister
02-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Playing dress up and pretend is not hard work. Particularly when you have a winnebago the size of a street and dozens of people running after you.

sadaist
02-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Playing dress up and pretend is not hard work. .

And that's all it really is. Pretend time. Pretend you're a gangster, pretend you're a cop, pretend you're a cowboy, etc... We ALL do it. I bet every one of you guys here have pretended to love a girl so you could get into her pants. Guaran-fucking-teed! (Maybe not love, but pretended you liked her a whole lot more than you really did)

When I was in my 20's & got pulled over for speeding, I'd pretend I wasn't drunk. Never got arrested....where's my damn Oscar?

Jagermeister
02-27-2012, 10:39 AM
That show bored the hell out of me. I couldn't watch it.

sadaist
02-27-2012, 10:54 AM
That show bored the hell out of me. I couldn't watch it.

HA! Nice avatar Jag. Almost like the pup knew it's pic was being taken. Perfect classic pose.

I went into a pet store yesterday because they had a PUPPIES sign. 1 Yellow lab in there. She was soooo dang cute. She put her paws up so she could reach over the top of the pen & lick my face. Forgot how much I miss puppy breath. I think from now on I will always stop & go in to a store when I see the PUPPIES signs out.

They also has something called a puggle. Meh, didn't do much for me. Not in to designer dogs. Leave those for the Hollywood types to shove into their purses for the red carpet.

hambon4lif
02-27-2012, 11:18 AM
I made it this far, but I bet it was the coolest moment of the night. You can tell Seacrust wanted to cry like a bitch.
And the two chicks in the berets? I need to find me a pair of those.:thumb:

Terry
02-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Hadn't seen any of the films nominated, thus didn't bother watching.

Hardrock69
02-27-2012, 10:24 PM
I saw "THE ARTIST" - and thought it was absolutely fantastic! Glad to see that it was given the Best Picture, Director, and Best Actor nods.

Gee I never would have expected you to feel that way, what with your avatar and all....
;)

Grant
02-28-2012, 02:10 AM
Gee I never would have expected you to feel that way, what with your avatar and all....
;)

;)

Well, as with the premise of "The Artist", even Chaplin himself was weary of the arrival of the "talkies" after which the silent era had pretty much faded out into cinema history...yet he went on to make the greatest of his films - "City Lights" and "Modern Times".

:yo:

binnie
02-28-2012, 03:35 AM
Playing dress up and pretend is not hard work. Particularly when you have a winnebago the size of a street and dozens of people running after you.

I hear ya - and I'd certainly say that JLo (who's a movie star, not an actress) really should be smart enough to know that saying stuff like that will really piss people off.

Some acting is hard work, however. Some thesps push themselves to the brink mentally to get the role right - I imagine being in some films is very draining; just like learning to be a concert pianist would be exhausting, too.

It's just that JLo isn't Daniel Day Lewis.....

sadaist
02-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Hadn't seen any of the films nominated, thus didn't bother watching.

Last movie I saw in a theater was TRON 2.

So yeah, I don't hit the movies very often. Wish some good westerns would come out. Last 2 GREAT ones I saw were Unforgiven and The Quick And The Dead. Before that was Tombstone. Forgotten genre. When done right they are the best.

binnie
02-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Last movie I saw in a theater was TRON 2.

So yeah, I don't hit the movies very often. Wish some good westerns would come out. Last 2 GREAT ones I saw were Unforgiven and The Quick And The Dead. Before that was Tombstone. Forgotten genre. When done right they are the best.

Check out:

3 10 to Yuma

Seraphin Falls

Open Range (a Kevin Costner film worth watching....)

Nickdfresh
02-29-2012, 09:10 PM
I made it this far, but I bet it was the coolest moment of the night. You can tell Seacrust wanted to cry like a bitch.
And the two chicks in the berets? I need to find me a pair of those.:thumb:

It's a parody of the late cunt Muammar Gaddafi's infamous female bodyguard contingent. They failed to save him however when it counted...

guwapo_rocker
02-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Umm.......WTF??

http://i42.tinypic.com/2ibfgw8.jpg

hambon4lif
02-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Wow....that's disturbing.

How much you wanna bet that pussy smells like an old boot that got left in the rain?

High Life Man
02-29-2012, 11:07 PM
I thought "The Artist" was pretty good. The chick in it is very sexy.

This was pretty funny as well. They need to get Ferrell to host!

http://www.gossipcop.com/will-ferrell-cymbals-oscars-video-zach-galifianakis-academy-awards-oscar-song/

ZahZoo
03-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Looks like Jolie needs to get out in the sun a bit... she'd look a lot better with some color in her skin.