PDA

View Full Version : Former Monkee Davy Jones dies at age 66 in Florida

guwapo_rocker
02-29-2012, 01:51 PM
..(Reuters) - Davy Jones, former lead singer of the 1960s made-for-television pop band The Monkees, died on Wednesday at a hospital in Florida, according to an official from the local medical examiner's office.

Jones, 66, born in Manchester, England, became the principal teen idol of the rock quartet featured on the NBC comedy series "The Monkees," which was inspired in part by the Beatles film "A Hard Day's Night" and ran from the fall of 1966 to August of 1968.

Although not allowed to play their own instruments on their early records, Jones and his three cohorts - Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork - had several hits that sold millions of copies, including "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

(Reporting by Christine Kearney; Writing by Steve Gorman; Editing by Greg McCune and Vicki Allen)

LINK. (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/former-monkee-davy-jones-dies-age-66-florida-182538429.html)

FORD
02-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Damn.... didn't see that one coming
Would have thought Peter Tork or Mickey Dolenz would have been the first Monkee to kick the bucket. Damn this makes me feel old.

Rest In Peace, Davy :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fU9xMeaRD4

chefcraig
02-29-2012, 02:06 PM
I loved (and still do) the Monkees, as they were probably my first exposure to rock and roll. What a shame to go out at only 66. Apparently it was due to a heart attack.

RIP, Davy.

And this is still a great album, despite who did and did not play on it:

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p427/mellotron_scratch/album%20covers/51VWJVXQG1L_SL500_AA240_.jpg

vandeleur
02-29-2012, 02:10 PM
One of the first lp's I got when I was a nipper was their greatest hits

Sensible Shoes
02-29-2012, 02:14 PM
The first real "boy band" what will Marcia Brady do now?

FORD
02-29-2012, 02:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3eLL4LVt0

ThrillsNSpills
02-29-2012, 02:17 PM
I loved (and still do) the Monkees, as they were probably my first exposure to rock and roll. What a shame to go out at only 66. Apparently it was due to a heart attack.

RIP, Davy.

And this is still a great album, despite who did and did not play on it:

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p427/mellotron_scratch/album%20covers/51VWJVXQG1L_SL500_AA240_.jpg

The only clunker was Hard to Believe. Other than that, I agree.

chefcraig
02-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Mikey Dolenz handles the lead vocals on this, but Davy is all over the place doing backups. Still one of the coolest tunes ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc6-nDl0ieA

FORD
02-29-2012, 02:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52gdpd47tgY

Nitro Express
02-29-2012, 02:29 PM
My oldest sister used to watch The Monkees on television all the time. Actually I wasn't very old at the time but it was an important exposure to pop culture and rock and roll that I would love my whole life. Davey was always the up beat positive one. He really stood out. He was the sunshine in The Monkees. He was part of something that made people feel good and that is why he and The Monkees are not only remembered but cherished.

FORD
02-29-2012, 02:29 PM
The porpoise is waiting....goodbye goodbye.... (and thanks for all the fish)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ78Yp5h23Y

Nitro Express
02-29-2012, 02:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3eLL4LVt0

My Nerf Ball lasted three seconds. The dog got it and tore it up.

jhale667
02-29-2012, 02:40 PM
I remember my sister and all the older girls in my neighborhood looooooved the Monkees, and Jones in particular when I was little...I thought they were silly. Amazing they were the first major band that took Hendrix out as their opening act (and subsequently got blown off the stage nightly).

FORD
02-29-2012, 02:52 PM
I remember my sister and all the older girls in my neighborhood looooooved the Monkees, and Jones in particular when I was little...I thought they were silly. Amazing they were the first major band that took Hendrix out as their opening act (and subsequently got blown off the stage nightly).

Not to mention all the 12 year old girls who came to the show to see the Monkees were confused by "the evil black man humping his guitar on stage".

SNIPER
02-29-2012, 02:55 PM
@ 1:25 The nasty Marsha comes out.

kwame k
02-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Damn....RIP Davy!

The Hendrix pairing has to be the strangest one in the history of R-N-R!

Nitro Express
02-29-2012, 03:02 PM
@ 1:25 The nasty Marcia comes out.

Marsha was nasty. She was the only guest on Howard Stern I ever heard to admitting they had anal sex. Howard asked everyone, Marsha responded she took it up the ass. Then of course Mrs. Brady admitted she got crabs from fucking the mayor of New York City. It sounds like the Brady Bunch had more going on behind the scenes than a Motley Cru show. LOL!

Nitro Express
02-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Yeah it was The Monkees and Love American Style all the girls watched.

Sensible Shoes
02-29-2012, 03:05 PM
I am sorry to say my mother found lip prints on the TV screen one day after the show. Talk about being embarrassed. She, of course, thought it was cute.

SNIPER
02-29-2012, 03:10 PM
:biggrin:

I am sorry to say my mother found lip prints on the TV screen one day after the show. Talk about being embarrassed. She, of course, thought it was cute.

ThrillsNSpills
02-29-2012, 04:02 PM
hmmm

fryingdutchman
02-29-2012, 04:39 PM
I agree with FORD...this one is a shock. I thought Tork would be first, in light of getting a pretty serious cancer diagnosis a few years ago.

I still listen to Monkees stuff from time to time, and actually saw Davy perform at EPCOT a couple of years ago.

RIP Davy Jones. May your tambourine and maracas shake forever in heaven.

Catfish
02-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Davy should get 20-times the fanfare that that worthless drug-addicted twat Whitney Houston received! That whore was begging for death!

Catfish
02-29-2012, 04:44 PM
rip davy jones. May your tambourine and maracas shake forever in heaven.

lmao!

Nitro Express
02-29-2012, 05:22 PM
They were talking about Davey on satellite radio while I was driving around. I guess he was an accomplished actor on Broadway before he got The Monkey's gig.

FORD
02-29-2012, 06:09 PM

ThrillsNSpills
02-29-2012, 06:42 PM

ThrillsNSpills
02-29-2012, 06:44 PM

Va Beach VH Fan
02-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Stunned no one put this one up yet....

Va Beach VH Fan
02-29-2012, 06:55 PM
And that badmouthing of Marsha Brady better stop quick !!

That woman is a saint !!

;)

Mr. Vengeance
02-29-2012, 06:58 PM
In my career in broadcasting I've met my share of celebs. Hands down, the nicest of them was Davy. Got to spend a couple of hours with him. Great guy. Makes it even more sad for me.

Fairwrning
02-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Fucking crazy...now another reason to throw at peeps when they complain about cigs.....When your number comes up...

"He was a vegetarian, and there was not an ounce of fat on the guy," Jacobson said. "He lived on the beach in Florida and ran miles every morning. This is the last person I expected this to happen to. He couldn't have been in better shape."

Mr Walker
02-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Rob Zombie keeps posting Monkee videos on my Facebook page

Green Manalishi
02-29-2012, 07:23 PM
When I was a small child in the late '60's , the Monkees were guaranteed big - dumb fun . Maybe it's a guilty pleasure but I gotta admit

that I really like some of their songs . Maybe this a " Heads - Up " to all of us to get your ticker checked . RIP Davey J .

chi-town324
02-29-2012, 07:58 PM
shocking of course...i read he performed just 10 days ago in Oklahoma...his current wife #3 was only 33:thumb:

FORD
02-29-2012, 09:34 PM
When I was a small child in the late '60's , the Monkees were guaranteed big - dumb fun . Maybe it's a guilty pleasure but I gotta admit

that I really like some of their songs . Maybe this a " Heads - Up " to all of us to get your ticker checked . RIP Davey J .

Well, this is the fucked up thing of it all.... he apparently DID have his ticker checked recently, stress test and all, and was told by his doctor that he had the heart of a 25 year old.

Go figure....... shit just fucking happens sometimes. :(

Nitro Express
03-01-2012, 01:19 AM
And that badmouthing of Marsha Brady better stop quick !!

That woman is a saint !!

;)

Who's bad mouthing? Everyone whacked off to the saint and her competing goddess Susan Dey.

Nitro Express
03-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Well, this is the fucked up thing of it all.... he apparently DID have his ticker checked recently, stress test and all, and was told by his doctor that he had the heart of a 25 year old.

Go figure....... shit just fucking happens sometimes. :(

It happens. Hey we are just bags of water in a world full of sharp corners. I'm amazed most of us last as long as we do.

Nitro Express
03-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Fucking crazy...now another reason to throw at peeps when they complain about cigs.....When your number comes up...

"He was a vegetarian, and there was not an ounce of fat on the guy," Jacobson said. "He lived on the beach in Florida and ran miles every morning. This is the last person I expected this to happen to. He couldn't have been in better shape."

When I was in the Rotary Club in Boise, Idaho I helped run some charity fundraisers. Of course you always invited Esther and JR. Simplot. Mr. Simplot was worth something like $14 billion. At one function I was sitting at the same table as the old man and he was telling us about how he took his first ski lesson at age 87 and on the fourth day he was parallel skiing the intermediate runs. I said Mr. Simplot how to you do it at your age and he said he gave up smoking at age 82 and doesn't jog. LOL! He was a pretty funny guy.

vandeleur
03-01-2012, 01:43 AM
It happens. Hey we are just bags of water in a world full of sharp corners. I'm amazed most of us last as long as we do.

Cool saying , funny but true

IceCreamBlondie
03-01-2012, 01:47 AM
Sorry to hear about this...what a shame he died so young! I remember watching the Monkees show on Sunday morning reruns......Always loved "Pleasant Valley Sunday" since I first heard it.

RIP Davy Jones.

FORD
03-01-2012, 03:06 AM
When I was in the Rotary Club in Boise, Idaho I helped run some charity fundraisers. Of course you always invited Esther and JR. Simplot. Mr. Simplot was worth something like $14 billion. At one function I was sitting at the same table as the old man and he was telling us about how he took his first ski lesson at age 87 and on the fourth day he was parallel skiing the intermediate runs. I said Mr. Simplot how to you do it at your age and he said he gave up smoking at age 82 and doesn't jog. LOL! He was a pretty funny guy.

Apparently there must be more calcium in potatoes than I realized. Skiing at 87?

Nitro Express
03-01-2012, 03:27 AM
Yup. They showed him on the news making nice S turns down a run up at Bogus Basin ski area. The man was not exactly the sit down and do nothing type and he kept up on things. He was particularly interested in making education better and more affordable using software and computers. He said education should be cheaper than ever with the technology we have. I agree but then education is rigged just like gas prices and healthcare are.

He actually donated a very expensive reading program to the state department of education. Every student got free books and videos. Then the school districts started nixing the program and using something else. District superintendents and the district managers don't get any kick back money when billionares just go ahead and buy the program. Nobody makes any money that way. Why we spend so much per student and get lousy results is everyone's hand is in the cookie jar and actually teaching something is not the main objective. Making an easy buck is.

He also had a big ass hill in front of his house. Kids were welcome to sled it if they wanted to. People said kids would get hurt and they would sue Mr. Simplot because he had deep pockets. I never heard of a lawsuit ever happening.

fryingdutchman
03-01-2012, 06:19 AM
My youth came after the Monkees were done their "first run" of fame...

But I latched onto them big time when they started re-airing the episodes on MTV in the 80's. I used to watch it religiously.

There was definitely talent there, and it was always fun to watch.

This is really sad.

sadaist
03-01-2012, 06:33 AM
Sad. Can't add much more than what you guys have already stated here. I was shocked when it came over the radio yesterday and a cloud of glum suddenly appeared. Sad indeed. Thankful for the memories. Was a lot of silly fun back in a time when it was okay to be silly.

Seshmeister
03-01-2012, 06:54 AM
If Sammy Hagar dies at 66 we only have one more year to wait!

Mr Walker
03-01-2012, 07:22 AM
If Sammy Hagar dies at 66 we only have one more year to wait!

These things happen in threes, so let's all cross our collective fingers...

Houston - Jones - HAGAR???

:luck:

Seshmeister
03-01-2012, 07:32 AM
It would be fucking brilliant.

Panamark
03-01-2012, 07:49 AM
This is one that you didnt see coming.
Thanks Davy. Many enjoyeable moments as a kid
from yourself. You were the Monkees.

the list is getting shorter every day.

sadaist
03-01-2012, 09:45 AM
On the bright side, Davy made it to see the new Van Halen album.

Hardrock69
03-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Man this sucks. And yes, I agree with that statement...

Terry
03-01-2012, 08:33 PM
One of the first lp's I got when I was a nipper was their greatest hits

First record I ever bought was a 45 of Last Train To Clarksville.

RIP, Davy.

Terry
03-01-2012, 08:35 PM
These things happen in threes, so let's all cross our collective fingers...

Houston - Jones - HAGAR???

:luck:

God, just the thought of Hagar passing on and his music being played nonstop (even if only for a brief duration), along with all the attendant publicity and tributes by fellow rock stars attesting to Hagar's brilliance...enough to make me wish the guy lives a little bit longer.

Mr Walker
03-01-2012, 08:42 PM
The Monkees had so many really good songs when you think about it. I was surprised by how many I rattled off the top of my head to some chick at work.

BITEYOASS
03-01-2012, 11:40 PM
The PA they used on their first tour must have used a lot of juice in order to drown out the sounds of those screaming girls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP_4roQ1-jM

Nitro Express
03-02-2012, 03:10 AM
I was very young when The Monkees was still running on television. I remember wondering why the guitar player was wearing a stocking cap and thinking his guitar was really cool. Actually come to think of it, The Monkees probably was my first exposure to rock and roll and electric guitars. The guitars were cool and I saw how the girls liked watching them. Even being three or four years old, I knew I wanted a bit of it.

Nitro Express
03-02-2012, 03:17 AM
The PA they used on their first tour must have used a lot of juice in order to drown out the sounds of those screaming girls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP_4roQ1-jM

I remember Jay Osmond telling me The Osmonds had the biggest PA in the early 70's. He said the girls screamed so loud that they needed a lot of juice to not be drowned out. He said in those days power amps were extremely expensive so it was big time money to have a PA as big as they did.

FORD
03-02-2012, 03:49 AM
Just in case anybody's interested, that Monkees boot from Japan is online: http://vivalesbootlegs.blogspot.com/2010/09/monkees-live-in-japan-budokan-hall.html

ThrillsNSpills
03-02-2012, 09:42 AM
5:51 Sunny Girlfriend.
cool walking bassline

FORD
03-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Antenna TV is running a Monkees marathon all weekend.

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2012-03/68470905-01095158.jpg

http://www.antennatv.tv/affiliates/

Nitro Express
03-03-2012, 09:14 PM
My cable company caries Antenna TV but ironically to get Antenna TV I have to pay the cable company extra to get it and it's a digital signal. LOL!

Matt White
03-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Juat watched 3 episodes back-to-back-to-back with my GF's 9 yr old son............

he laughed his guts out!

Nice to see the old stuff still stands the test of time...........

PLayed him "last Train to Clarksville" in the car today on the way to his hockey game...he dug it

FORD
03-03-2012, 09:52 PM
My cable company caries Antenna TV but ironically to get Antenna TV I have to pay the cable company extra to get it and it's a digital signal. LOL!

I would guess that your TV's digital tuner would probably pick up the station if you bypassed the cable box.

Cable companies are legally prohibited from scrambling any local broadcast channels, and even though Antenna TV is nationally syndicated, it's still broadcast digitally from each city where it's available.

Pretty sure that all TV's made since the switch to digital broadcasting are equipped with QAM tuners, which will pick up any unscrambled channels available in your local area.

If you go to this page and put in your local zip code, it will tell you what channels should be available: http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Nitro Express
03-03-2012, 09:56 PM
The nearest affiliate station is in Pocatello, Idaho. That's 90 miles from here as the bird flies but another problem is there are mountains between there and here. Even if I had an antanna I probably wouldn't pick up shit. It's called Jackson's Hole for a reason. It's a valley surrounded by some big ass mountains. I can't even fly a plane due west of our airport on a warm day because I won't clear the mountains.

FORD
03-03-2012, 10:08 PM
No you don't need an antenna to pick it up. It should be on your cable, unencrypted. I can't get shit on an antenna around here either, despite the fact that I live at the top of a hill,more or less.

I don't think broadcast signals are as strong as they used to be. I remember watching Sesame Street when I was a kid, not from the PBS station in Seattle, but from the CBC station in Vancouver BC. And that was 150 miles away on a TV with fucking rabbit ears!

Good luck trying to do that now... analog, digital, or otherwise.

Rikk
03-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Too many good songs: ALL OF YOUR TOYS, DAYDREAM BELIEVER, RANDY SCOUSE GIT, WORDS, VALLERI, I WANNA BE FREE, THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, PORPOISE SONG, LAST TRAIN TO CLARKSVILLE, SOMETIME IN THE MORNING, SHE HANGS OUT, TAKE A GIANT STEP...many more.

R.I.P. Davy.

Jack68
03-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Head was interesting to watch to say the least.That marathon was pretty cool...

sadaist
03-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Just watched 3 episodes back-to-back-to-back with my GF's 9 yr old son............

he laughed his guts out!

Ah...the innocence of youth.

And good on you for spending quality time with the boy. A lot of guys have a hard time with that.....even when it's their own kid.

Matt White
03-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Ah...the innocence of youth.

And good on you for spending quality time with the boy. A lot of guys have a hard time with that.....even when it's their own kid.

Thanks man! :D

Good kid...makes it easy.....

I figured out how to play "Last Train to Clarksville" this weekend just so I can crack him up when I'm playing.......

Now...I need to teach him the Keyboard lick to "I'm a Believer" so we both can jam on something! LMAO

vandeleur
03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks man! :D

Good kid...makes it easy.....

I figured out how to play "Last Train to Clarksville" this weekend just so I can crack him up when I'm playing.......

Now...I need to teach him the Keyboard lick to "I'm a Believer" so we both can jam on something! LMAO

used to play pleasant valley sunday in a cover band many moons ago .. used to love beefing the riff up

FORD
03-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Head was interesting to watch to say the least.That marathon was pretty cool...

I'd forgotten how weird that movie was. If I had known that was how they were going to end the marathon, I would have tried to find some drugs to make it make sense.

Jack68
03-11-2012, 11:07 AM
I'd forgotten how weird that movie was. If I had known that was how they were going to end the marathon, I would have tried to find some drugs to make it make sense.

Its bizarre really that movie.I actually put on Elephant parts the other day.Its still great.

Jack68
03-23-2012, 10:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9m-hkvFDLk
Havent seen this..