PDA

View Full Version : This guy... A David Lee Roth copy

VanHalenI
03-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes--- this song sounds kinda like dance the night away and come on... this guy does Dave's screams exactly like him... come on what the fuck...???

gbranton
03-02-2012, 07:34 PM
This guy:

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7pnueg44VJoOLPhl0vSTxVenNp5GYr EqEl6ORJOxg7QPAIvpv

A Jim "Dandy" Mangrum copy?

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTt84EuGMBzHVx6gyaPspiPIMaHNs6O9 zn0LgoWryxZyf05zBC-cwhttps://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEiFgiV41quIygTymRwc5GkFYbJEf4j 5bj8dFvJd4N7inzaQ7H

My point is everybody was influenced by someone somewhere down the line. To me "Summertime Girls" has a lot of Bon Jovi in it as well, but I like it a lot and I like Y&T a lot. I love songs Like "Mean Streak", "Contageous" and "Don't Stop Runnin". I think Y&T is an underrated band from the era.

Seshmeister
03-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Yes--- this song sounds kinda like dance the night away and come on... this guy does Dave's screams exactly like him... come on what the fuck...???

As someone who is working as hard as I ever have on song writing at the moment this is a brilliant example of the mantra from David St Hubbins 'there is a fine line between stupid and clever'.

What's wrong with this song that makes it kind of horrendous compared to 'Dance the night away'?

It's hard to put your finger on but it is instinctively horrendous. I think it's something to do with self awareness and completely cynical formulaic manufacturing of music, people can smell it.

ELVIS
03-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Sounds more like solo Sammy Hagar to me...

Sarge
03-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I actually kind of like that! Wow times have changed!

Sarge
03-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Sounds more like solo Sammy Hagar to me... Besides the screams, it does sound like Sammy. Thanks.. you made me hate it!

ELVIS
03-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Make up your mind...:biggrin:

SNIPER
03-02-2012, 08:32 PM

I just knew this would turn into a thread about this guy!! :biggrin: ...But you are correct sir.

Catfish
03-02-2012, 08:42 PM
I don't hear DTNA at all and am offended Elvis is so familiar with Hagar's solo work.

gbranton
03-02-2012, 08:45 PM

Dave Meneketti's voice isn't nearly as shrill and he's a better guitar player than anyone Sammy ever played with not named Ed Van Halen. I don't think it's Mozart but it's a fun song, not taking itself too seriously.

philouze
03-03-2012, 03:12 AM
R.I.P, Phil Kennemore

WACF
03-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Y&T's radio moment...all bands were attempting this at the time.

An awesome Hard Rock band that IMO never got enough credit.

jero
03-03-2012, 10:03 AM
If you make video's like that......

sadaist
03-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Dave Meneketti's voice isn't nearly as shrill and he's a better guitar player than anyone Sammy ever played with not named Ed Van Halen. I don't think it's Mozart but it's a fun song, not taking itself too seriously.

I love Y&T with emphasis on the Contagious album. Fucking great. Seen them back in 2007 at a small club in San Diego. Rocked it like it was Shea Stadium. Great way to spend $16.

Anyways, speaking of Dave wannabe/lookalike

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/ccbanana/MarqTorien/MSBB1.jpg

and then he got arrested for looking like Paul Stanley. (dude has an identity crisis) ((I wonder if his cell mate Bubba made him sing Smooth Up In Ya))

http://www.sleazeroxx.com/news09/1114tor.jpg

VanHalenI
03-03-2012, 01:08 PM
I like the song... but what really brakes my balls is that the singer tried to make Diamond's signature scream in this song...
I don't hate this band at all... actually I realized my dad had the album Down for the count and it's actually quite cool!

NIN1211
03-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Every blond singer from the 80's was Dave clone....at least they didn't try to copy Spammy...yes Sniper, I couldn't help myself

gbranton
03-03-2012, 02:41 PM
I love Y&T with emphasis on the Contagious album. Fucking great. Seen them back in 2007 at a small club in San Diego. Rocked it like it was Shea Stadium. Great way to spend $16.

Anyways, speaking of Dave wannabe/lookalike

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l237/ccbanana/MarqTorien/MSBB1.jpg

I'd like to get a chance to see Y&T one day, every person I've talked to says the same thing you said. I think Meneketti is a good dude and I admire that he's kept the flame burning all this time.

As for the Bulletboys....I don't think Marq Torien was the only one who saw DLR when he looked in the mirror. That band was signed to Warner Brothers and Ted Templeman produced their debut album. Coincidence?................... Or not?

That aside, their debut album did have a few killer cuts on it such as "Smooth Up.....", "For the Love of Money" and "Hell on Wheels". Several of those songs have held up nicely and the band still tours and records, so kudos to them as well.

Yount
03-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Shoot the preacher dooooooooooooowhown

sadaist
03-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Summertime Girls....sheesh. I used to dig that song. Man, it has not aged well. and the Hooters girl shorts & half shirt...Dave WTF?! Only one man can get away with playing hard rock at the beach.....and it's not anyone from Y&T.

I still like the album Contagious. Just Summertime Girls is so fucking dated it hurts a little to listen to it.

Panamark
03-04-2012, 08:16 AM
That song is really bad. Apologies to anyone who likes it.
Yo mama picked the wrong mushrooms for the stew today ?

Up there with Bert Michaels and cinderella etc, et al.

I'll keep it for those times I need to heave and dont wish
to put my finger down my throat.

sadaist
03-04-2012, 09:46 AM
That song is really bad. Apologies to anyone who likes it.
Y

I had not heard it in forever & remembered liking it & it being catchy. Then I watched the video in this thread. Ouch. Dave Meniketti is fucking an awesome guitar player though. To any on the fence fans, go see them at a club if you ever get the chance. I guarantee you will enjoy it and get your moneys worth.

GreenBayLA
03-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Studly on drums (yellow shirt) is Jim Belushi clone. Obviously record co pressured Y&T for a single, and it shows.

Unchainme
03-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Shoot the preacher dooooooooooooowhown

"..if you take your whiskey.." -danannaha-

Can't believe how much of a ripoff that one was :)

Hardrock69
03-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Bulletboys suck.

Sure, they are good at playing their material, but the material is fucking lame and annoying 2-dimensional hair-metal.

Smooth Up In Ya was not too bad a tune.....but there is no reason for a band to cover For The Love Of Money, other than to have a cash grab that requires no creativity on the part of the band.

In my opinion, every cover tune a band does subtracts an original tune that band could have presented to the world. Van Halen included.

sadaist
03-08-2012, 03:45 AM
Smooth Up In Ya was not too bad a tune.....but there is no reason for a band to cover For The Love Of Money, other than to have a cash grab that requires no creativity on the part of the band.

In my opinion, every cover tune a band does subtracts an original tune that band could have presented to the world. Van Halen included.

In their defense they were competing against a LOT of other identical bands for MTV airtime. Damn there was a lot of crappy hair bands during that period.

DLR Bridge
03-08-2012, 05:13 AM
I've always liked their version of Hang On St. Christopher. I once saw 20 copies of the CD with that on it in the used bin for a buck 99 and I still didn't grab one. I might now, given the chance, but I'm sure those CD's have all been melted down and turned into detergent bottles or something by now.

DLR Bridge
03-08-2012, 05:19 AM
In their defense they were competing against a LOT of other identical bands for MTV airtime.

It would almost be nice to go back and re-sift through all of those bands and give some of the another chance when you consider how much nothingness is out there today. I'd take Bang Tango over Daughtry or Love-Hate over Nickelback any day, in fact, I still do!

Yount
03-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Speaking of copy cat Davidians... Mike Tramp from White Lion. Sorta looked like Dave, except his lyrics were shmaltzy churchy lovey crap. There is life even after a broken heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3TqhfwO3CA

‘There’s a lot of pretenders to the throne here, we can’t stop them from coming on, but we can arrange for them to limp home.’

DLR Bridge
03-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Speaking of copy cat Davidians... Mike Tramp from White Lion. Sorta looked like Dave, except his lyrics were shmaltzy churchy lovey crap. There is life even after a broken heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3TqhfwO3CA

‘There’s a lot of pretenders to the throne here, we can’t stop them from coming on, but we can arrange for them to limp home.’

Somehow, his schmaltz I was able to tolerate. I loved the song Wait. That came out right around the time I started driving, so that one was a good one to blast. And who could forget Vito "EVH" Bratta? Well, I guess he's a bit easier to forget now.

DONNIEP
03-08-2012, 09:10 AM
I dug Vito's playing, but man did he push the Ed clone thing to the max or what? I actually liked this song and video...hey, who's that guy playing bass? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4wCkkMVpzk

private parts
03-08-2012, 09:20 AM
It would almost be nice to go back and re-sift through all of those bands and give some of the another chance when you consider how much nothingness is out there today. I'd take Bang Tango over Daughtry or Love-Hate over Nickelback any day, in fact, I still do!

Speaking of Nickelback. I can't believe those assholes have a song out now called "Bottoms Up"

DLR Bridge
03-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Speaking of Nickelback. I can't believe those assholes have a song out now called "Bottoms Up"

I was in my wife's car when I heard a DJ announce that shitty group and the title Bottoms Up and for an instant I thought, if this is a VH cover, I'm going to vomit in my wife's car. Thankfully, it turned out to be just another shitty attempt at an original song. They should just stop.

private parts
03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
I was in my wife's car when I heard a DJ announce that shitty group and the title Bottoms Up and for an instant I thought, if this is a VH cover, I'm going to vomit in my wife's car. Thankfully, it turned out to be just another shitty attempt at an original song. They should just stop.

I thought the same thing when I saw it on the Billboard charts. So after a quick listen....yep just another shitty song.
How do they sleep at night? In a bed of money I guess.

sadaist
03-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I loved the song Wait. That came out right around the time I started driving, so that one was a good one to blast. .

Yeah, funny. Me too. Good solid fun song. But again they were 1 of so many fucking hair bands competing for an MTV video that most were lucky to get 1 or 2 videos out there with any airplay.

Mike Tramps voice was nice. Mark Slaughters voice still irritates the fuck out of me.

sadaist
03-09-2012, 12:51 AM
I dug Vito's playing, but man did he push the Ed clone thing to the max or what? I actually liked this song and video...hey, who's that guy playing bass? :)

Say a special on VH1 I think and they said the VH formula was the blonde tarzan rock god lead singer and we saw how many tried to copy Dave. And for guitar was the smiling sweet innocent guitar shredder and they showed Vito and said he was most blatant ripoff.

gbranton
03-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Say a special on VH1 I think and they said the VH formula was the blonde tarzan rock god lead singer and we saw how many tried to copy Dave. And for guitar was the smiling sweet innocent guitar shredder and they showed Vito and said he was most blatant ripoff.

Was it that Metal Evolution pile of shit that was on VH1 Classic? Sam Dunn did ok with "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" and the Rush and Iron Maiden documentaries. Metal Evolution started well enough, but when he started covering music he wasn't interested in it turned into a shit fest. He really gave the short shrift to the glam bands and let the grunge guys get away with being elitist ass-douches on camera for all the world to see.

rocking ron
03-11-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm a long-time Y&T fan but I agree with Elvis, that video-clip ('w/ screams') is so fxxxxx Spammy, baaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhh

Better listen to their best album EARTHSHAKER :amen:

Coyote
03-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Speaking of copies...

Hardrock69
03-13-2012, 04:46 AM
In their defense they were competing against a LOT of other identical bands for MTV airtime. Damn there was a lot of crappy hair bands during that period.

You got a point there.