PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Rank ADKOT W/ Classic VH?

King VH
03-03-2012, 02:09 PM
In other words...is it better than Women And Children First, but worse than Fair Warning?

I'd rank 'em like this...

1) Van Halen

2) Fair Warning

3) Women And Children First

4) A Different Kind Of Truth (favorite songs are She's The Woman and Big River)

5) 1984

6) Diver Down

7) Van Halen II

Whaddya think???

atomicpnk47
03-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Ok - Here goes :

1) Women And Children First

2) Van Halen II

3) Van Halen

4) Fair Warning

5) Different Kind Of Truth ( Beats Workin / Outta Space )

6) 1984

7) Diver Down

Really tough for me. I could flip my first 4 in any order but this is what I came up with.

Zing!
03-03-2012, 07:43 PM
In other words...is it better than Women And Children First, but worse than Fair Warning?

I'd rank 'em like this...

7) Van Halen II

Whaddya think???

Putting 'Van Halen II' last is difficult for me to comprehend. Reasoning, please?

That album dances in and out of the #1 spot (with Fair Warning, natch) depending on what mood I'm in. Can't imagine anyone in their right mind ranking it last. ARE you in your right mind? What gives?

Nitro Express
03-03-2012, 07:45 PM
I just look at them all like children. I love them all the same.

gbranton
03-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Putting 'Van Halen II' last is difficult for me to comprehend. Reasoning, please?

That album dances in and out of the #1 spot (with Fair Warning, natch) depending on what mood I'm in. Can't imagine anyone in their right mind ranking it last. ARE you in your right mind? What gives?

Yeah I'm not 100% sure of the finishing order for me but I can't put the album with "Outta Love", "Somebody Get Me a Doctor", "D.O.A.", "Bottoms Up!", "Light Up the Sky" and "Women In Love" last by any stretch of the imagination.

King VH
03-03-2012, 08:12 PM

The reason I put Van Halen II in the last spot is because I think it has more b-songs (from the 1st Van Halen album) than any other classic VH release. I love Women In Love, Bottoms Up!, D.O.A., and Beautiful Girls, but I'm not a huge fan of Somebody Get Me A Doctor and Outta Love Again. Even though DD has a lot of cover tunes, I really like that album. VH II doesn't rock as hard as VH, WACF, or FW IMO! And 1984 feels a little more consistent to me. As far as I'm concerned, I'm in the right state of mind. I find it hard to believe you would have VH II "dancing in and out of the #1 spot" with Fair Warning. Van Halen's 1st album has NO bad songs! That should be the album that's in the top 2.

King VH
03-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Zing! and gbranton you didn't answer the question!

Terry
03-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Hard to answer, because I have as yet to make a definitive ranking of the 6-pack...or at least a lasting ranking...

I can say that I'd be likely to rank ADKOT a bit higher than Diver Down from here to eternity, although not necessarily higher than 1984...maybe...

Here's a temporary ranking:

1) Fair Warning

2) Van Halen

3) Women and Children First

4) Van Halen 2

5) A Different Kind Of Truth

6) 1984

7) Diver Down

Terry
03-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Yeah I'm not 100% sure of the finishing order for me but I can't put the album with "Outta Love", "Somebody Get Me a Doctor", "D.O.A.", "Bottoms Up!", "Light Up the Sky" and "Women In Love" last by any stretch of the imagination.

I couldn't rank it last, either, although I can see the point being made about Van Halen 2 sounding a bit too much like leftovers from Van Halen's first album and not QUITE measuring up.

KSTONER
03-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Been toying with this myself. As it stands now...

1) Fair Warning
2) Van Halen
3) Van Halen II
4) 1984 (although that one and Fair Warning go at it from time to time)
5) A Different Kind of Truth
6) Women and Children First
7) Diver Down

I agree with what another poster said though...I see em' as children. I love em' all equally....Although I hate kids....hmm...
I always feel bad about ranking the Six Pack/Magnificent Seven (are we agreed on that title now). All of them are majestic. To see any of them on the bottom of any list...Man.. :D

rocking ron
03-11-2012, 07:55 PM
My 'magnificent 7' :

1) FAIR WARNING
2) 1984
3) VAN HALEN II
4) A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH
5) VAN HALEN I
6) WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST
7) DIVER DOWN

I've rated every song from all albums (1/10) and needed from my nr3 to nr6 the 3rd image after the comma, that close, so tomorrow it could be a different kind of.....

ELVIS
03-11-2012, 10:40 PM
V A N H A L E N II

Fair Warning

WACF

Van Halen

ADKOT

Diver Down

:elvis:

fourthcoming
03-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Wacf

fair warning

VHII

vh

adkot

diver down

vh rides again
03-11-2012, 11:21 PM
At the moment, adkot is my favorite album.

Too many kickin songs on it too quit listening :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Roth And Roll

Fairwrning
03-12-2012, 05:42 PM
I put it at 1...Easily my fave,,maybe because its been 28 years coming,,maybe because it is just an awesome offering..

1) ADKOT
2) VH 1
3) VH 2
4) Fair Warning
5) WACF
6) 1984
7) Diver Down

Va Beach VH Fan
03-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Come on guys, don't make me whip out Eddie Murphy's "Ritz Cracker" skit again.....

sadaist
03-12-2012, 06:03 PM
It is my favorite Van Halen album since 1984 was released. My favorite ANY album since 1984 was released. How's that grab you?

*MOTHERFUCK!!!! A goddam bee flew into my truck as I typed that above line. Sonofabich you never saw me swat a bug so fast back out the window without spilling my Big Gulp or dropping the laptop. Get out of here bee!

SNIPER
03-12-2012, 06:16 PM
I can say that I listen to ADKOT more than any other VH album.

NIN1211
03-12-2012, 06:32 PM
I can say that I listen to ADKOT more than any other VH album.

True....time wise it is almost VhII and Diver Down combined....Thus, it deserves the utmost repect!!!!

Zing!
03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
FAIR WARNING

VAN HALEN II

VAN HALEN

A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH

WOMEN & CHILDREN FIRST

DIVER DOWN

Love 'em all, I say... let Cupid sort 'em out.

sadaist
03-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Even if I think it's better than any of the 6 pack, I doubt I will ever put it higher than #7. The 6 pack is just......well, perfect. Too many memories involved with each & every track from all 6 albums. Memories of my first keg parties, my first car, bbq's, poker parties, river trips, beach trips, making out with girls in high school, ditching class, smoking joints, etc.....

But, this album has plenty of time to build up it's own memories. It hasn't left my trucks cd player since Feb 7. Not once.

IceCreamBlondie
03-12-2012, 10:12 PM
I just look at them all like children. I love them all the same.

Awesome! I don't think I can top that one! :thumb:

King VH
03-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Even if I think it's better than any of the 6 pack, I doubt I will ever put it higher than #7. The 6 pack is just......well, perfect. Too many memories involved with each & every track from all 6 albums. Memories of my first keg parties, my first car, bbq's, poker parties, river trips, beach trips, making out with girls in high school, ditching class, smoking joints, etc.....

But, this album has plenty of time to build up it's own memories. It hasn't left my trucks cd player since Feb 7. Not once.

I agree that it's hard to put ADKOT over any of the 6 pack because they really are perfect! However, I do think that ADKOT is getting better with each listen and it's ALREADY given me some good memories! :)

SunisinuS
03-13-2012, 01:03 AM
It is my favorite Van Halen album since 1984 was released. My favorite ANY album since 1984 was released. How's that grab you?

*MOTHERFUCK!!!! A goddam bee flew into my truck as I typed that above line. Sonofabich you never saw me swat a bug so fast back out the window without spilling my Big Gulp or dropping the laptop. Get out of here bee!

Did a Dog shoot it out of it's mouth?

Golden AWe
03-13-2012, 03:14 AM
Well...it's difficult, but I'll give it a try.

WACF
I
Fair Warning
1984 / ADKOT
II
Diver Down

Mrkramer
03-13-2012, 04:39 AM

Totally agree, very special part of my teenage years... No wait it WAS the soundtrack of my teenage years, chicks, booze, lots of grass and some chemical enhancement .. Best time for me

Va Beach VH Fan
03-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Welp, OK.... Guess I have to bring Eddie in.....

Let's see how many dense motherfuckers need me to translate how this equates to Van Halen (like the last dipshit we had).....

Jagermeister
03-13-2012, 09:12 AM
:umm:

I always ranked them in the order they were released.

private parts
03-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Just got my remastered Women and Childrens first cd. Have not listened to it in quite some time. Sonically this is so BALLZ to the WALL Van Halen that I almost pissed my pants, almost.
Therefore I have reworked my ranking of VH albums as follows. (I suggest you all rework yours to match):winkglasses:

Van Halen (how this is not 1st in every ones list I'll NEVER understand)

Women and Children First

Fair Warning

Van Halen II

ADKOT

Diver Down

sadaist
03-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Van Halen (how this is not 1st in every ones list I'll NEVER understand)

Simple. You are 8 years older than me. So 1984 was my first real introduction to Van Halen and how I first fell in love with them. It seems to be your favorite albums are usually from the era when you were like 11-13 ish and really started to form your musical tastes.

kwame k
03-20-2012, 12:32 PM
OK.....as of this post the ranking goes:

Van Halen.......it's the first album and introduced millions of guitarists to a new style and sound.

Fair Warning.....the darkest of all the VH albums and musically, IMHO one of the best.

Van Halen II.....name a better summertime album!

ADKOT......yep, front to back this albums has everything and even the weakest track Tattoo still jams.

DD..........everyone bitches that it's all covers but Secrets, Full Bug, Little Guitars and Hang 'em High are amazing sounds and different from the norm. Throw in Cathedral and Little Guitars intro and you have some of Ed's most innovative guitar work.

Women and Children First........not a bad track on the album but as of today it ranks here.

1984......tons of signature VH......Drop Dead Legs, come on fucking classic. Jump and I'll Wait.....overplayed.

private parts
03-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Simple. You are 8 years older than me. So 1984 was my first real introduction to Van Halen and how I first fell in love with them. It seems to be your favorite albums are usually from the era when you were like 11-13 ish and really started to form your musical tastes.

Yep, the stuff you hear first makes the strongest impression. My 1st exposure was VH II a week or two later VH I. I could not stop listening to it. Wore out an 8 track in the back of a station wagon on a beach trip with my best friends family so it (VH I) was the soundtrack to one of the greatest vacations ever. Young, dumb and full of cum and Running with the Devil!

I awaited every new release like it was the second coming. Never to be disappointed. Yet to this day nothing sounds quite like what Eddie and the boys were laying down on the first album and it set the standard
that they closely matched on almost everything that followed. THAT is the sign of some real fucking talent!

chefcraig
03-20-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but having heard all of the albums in order as they were released, I can't put the debut as number one. To be honest, at the time I thought the band sounded like Grand Funk Railroad with a shit-hot guitar player and the guy from Black Oak Arkansas on vocals. Aside from the guitar solos, there were only about 5 memorable tunes on the record. The second album did little if anything to disprove this theory, but when WACF came out, the argument stopped holding water. The moment Fair Warning hit the sales rack, the game changed completely. Diver Down was somewhat disappointing, but believe it or not, I liked it a hell of a lot better than 1984, which still sounds remarkably over-produced, sterile and slick to my ears. So here's the way I view things:

1. Fair Warning
2. WACF
3. ADKOT
4. Diver Down
5. VH II
6. VH
7. 1984

hambon4lif
03-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Playing the comparison game is premature until I hear ADKOT on vinyl, and even then, I seriously doubt that I will. The only thing ADKOT has in common with the 6-pack is the name 'Van Halen', other than that it's really its own thing.
I'm still not sure how this new stuff is supposed to sound until I put it on the turntable because the sound on the CD suggests that it was aimed strictly for the I-Tunes/Download crowd, and that's fine I guess, but it's also safe to say that I haven't REALLY heard this album yet. The CD is like a preview of what songs are on there for when I do hear it....for real....on wax!

I don't share the popular opinion that ADKOT is 'the seventh album' because no album by anyone before, during, or after can fuck with the six. I'm looking forward to the needle dropping on that red vinyl, but I'll still be keeping it real...

private parts
03-20-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but having heard all of the albums in order as they were released, I can't put the debut as number one. To be honest, at the time I thought the band sounded like Grand Funk Railroad with a shit-hot guitar player and the guy from Black Oak Arkansas on vocals. Aside from the guitar solos, there were only about 5 memorable tunes on the record. The second album did little if anything to disprove this theory, but when WACF came out, the argument stopped holding water. The moment Fair Warning hit the sales rack, the game changed completely. Diver Down was somewhat disappointing, but believe it or not, I liked it a hell of a lot better than 1984, which still sounds remarkably over-produced, sterile and slick to my ears. So here's the way I view things:

1. Fair Warning
2. WACF
3. ADKOT
4. Diver Down
5. VH II
6. VH
7. 1984

Grand Funk Railroad on rocket fuel and nitro glyicerin maybe. Never heard Jim Dandy scream like a banshee, though he did have that "look"

katina
03-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Sorry, I could not make a list or ranking but I tried. I just love them all.

SNIPER
03-21-2012, 12:00 AM
ADKOT is played the most in my world, so for now it is #1 ....Only time will tell if it stands the test of time. :biggrin: :guzzle:

Etienne
03-21-2012, 11:20 AM
1) Van Halen I ...... Car horn -> impact! History.

2) Fair Warning ...... A very special VH album.

3) Van Halen II ...... The album I normally listen from track 1 to the last, without skipping.

4) Women And Children First ...... It gets a little weaker on the B-side.

5) Diver Down ...... Little Guitars sounds monumental and The Full Bug is great. Where Have All The Good Times Gone! and Hang 'Em High are nice too.

6) 1984 ...... Two of my favourite VH tracks on it: Panama and Girl Gone Bad.

7) A Different Kind Of Truth ...... Favourite tracks so far: Blood And Fire, You And Your Blues. Maybe I will rank this album higher in a few years.