PDA

View Full Version : So, I've been having these headaches...

Little Texan
03-11-2012, 05:37 PM
I've been having these bad headaches the last few weeks. They just come out of nowhere, last a few minutes, are in the back of my head, very intense and throbbing, and I'll lose part of the hearing in my left ear and sometimes see blurry spots in my right eye after one. I saw a doctor about this the other day and I'm scheduled to have an mri Wednesday. Anyone else here ever had headaches like this, and what was the cause of them?

Little Texan
03-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Would someone correct the spelling in the title? Thanks

chefcraig
03-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Have you had any accidents or back injuries lately? I ask this because the worst headaches I ever witnessed (beyond my own devastating hangovers) involved my first wife. We were in an accident while waiting for a traffic light one evening as my car was rear ended by some halfwit in a pick up truck. I heard the guy skidding, and attempted to at least get us moving before impact by flooring it. This was and wasn't successful, as my Mustang sprang forward yet sideways. The major impact was on the passenger side (where she was seated) rear. A few months after, my wife started getting blinding headaches much as you described. I'd have to hold her head in my lap, massaging her temples in order to provide relief. The quack family doctor she'd been seeing kept prescribing her Tylenol of varying strength, describing her symptoms as migraines.

Nearly a year later, in an unrelated occurrence, she had a back x ray that revealed the true cause: Her spinal column had been injured in the crash, resulting in some discs realigned and damaged. The nerve was pressing on her spine, thus creating the headaches. She soon had surgery and has been fine (well, OK, she was never really fine in the first place. Nor stable, yet I digress...) ever since.

Little Texan
03-11-2012, 05:58 PM
No, I haven't had any kind of head trauma. The headaches just started happening out of the blue. I was taking an energy supplement called Charger Drive around the time the headaches started, but I ceased taking it after a couple of days and I'm still having headaches, so maybe it's just a coincidence. The doctor pretty much ruled out a brain tumor as I'd have nausea, severe vision problems and seizures if that were the case.

rocking ron
03-11-2012, 06:06 PM
"So, I've BEEN having these headaches.....

I've this shit once in a while and after those 'blurry spots" I have to throw up and after this it takes at least 12hrs when I'm without pain!!

This is a form of migraine and works for everyone otherwise ( stress, sunshine, listening to much to disco...etc )

My doctor top 3 :

VAN HALEN - Somebody get me a doctor
UFO - Doctor Doctor
KISS - Doctor Love

chefcraig
03-11-2012, 06:13 PM
The doctor pretty much ruled out a brain tumor as I'd have nausea, severe vision problems and seizures if that were the case.

As I said, the trauma can be caused not by a blow to the head, but inadvertently through another location, sending the OUCH! message to your brain.

On another front, check your PM, friend.

kwame k
03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
No, I haven't had any kind of head trauma. The headaches just started happening out of the blue. I was taking an energy supplement called Charger Drive around the time the headaches started, but I ceased taking it after a couple of days and I'm still having headaches, so maybe it's just a coincidence. The doctor pretty much ruled out a brain tumor as I'd have nausea, severe vision problems and seizures if that were the case.

On of the worst headaches, blurred vision, shaking and heart palpitations I ever had was caused by too much caffeine intake.......I've also had severe headaches from caffeine withdrawals.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
On of the worst headaches, blurred vision, shaking and heart palpitations I ever had was caused by too much caffeine intake.......I've also had severe headaches from caffeine withdrawals.

Crazy you mentioned that, I was thinking the same thing..... The worst headaches I've had were due to accidently drinking decaf coffee for like three or four days !!

Matt White
03-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Hope you feel better!

Nitro Express
03-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Headaches can be caused be a lot of things. Since it's starting at the back of your head it's a good thing you went to the doc because it could be meningitis. I had a friend that had similar symptoms and it turned out to be meningitis. He had to have surgery and is fine now.

A lot of headaches are caused by sitting too much and stress. The human body isn't made to sit as much as we do. If I'm not doing my stretches and workouts I get headaches. I used to be a ski racer and blew through a bunch of gates and hit some hay bails at 60 mph. It didn't do me any good.

Try this. Get something heavy in each hand and bend over like you are doing toe touchers and stretch your back out that way. Do it for a good five to ten minutes. See how you feel after that.

clarathecarrot
03-11-2012, 08:32 PM
I was in so much pain once when I was a kid and many head injuries since it sounds like someone chewing glass every time I turn my head..I wish sometimes I could tell if I am in new pain, it all runs together. I recently have begun whineing more than ever, last couple years .I like that for a change.

A friend of mine used to get migrains and he would get the pain, like you said and the dots of blindness.?

I don't believe I have ever had a migrian the tintitis won't let me think of anything else..lol

I wouldn't know if I was ill or not.

Get that MRI and best wishes. Keep us posted.

Little Texan
03-11-2012, 09:46 PM
The doctor said it sounded like migraines but the attacks are too short and happen too often to be those. On the caffeine issue...I've had headaches from too much caffeine and caffeine withdrawal, and they were nothing like the ones I'm experiencing. These are WAY worse. Thanks to everyone for your kind posts and concern, and I will keep everyone posted.

sadaist
03-11-2012, 11:37 PM
okay...my $0.02. You might have slept bad and fucked a nerve. I've done that and didn't feel it except for massive headaches. it could also be a tooth going bad. It doesn't hurt at the tooth, but sudden sharp headaches like you are experiencing. If the Dr can't find anything, I suggest going to the dentist.

You are doing the right thing seeing the Dr. My other advice is Tylenol, Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), and aspirin are all DIFFERENT and can be taken safely all together. Serious. If you really need to knock something out you can take all of them. And with Ibuprofen you can take up to 4 of the 200mg pills to = 800 mg (which is prescription strength). And as has been mentioned...caffeine!

Oooh...might also be eyeglasses. Just another thought. I only speak from my own experiences so take what I say as just friendly advice. I'm not a doctor (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

sadaist
03-11-2012, 11:38 PM
I will keep everyone posted.

and yeah dude, let us know. Hope you feel better soon.

Dan
03-11-2012, 11:59 PM
How Is Your Eye-Sight?

Dan
03-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Best Of Luck With Your MRI Scan.

So this is love
03-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Hope you feel better...check with the dentist as someone else suggested...hope its nothing serious. take care!

ThrillsNSpills
03-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Tex, try thinking back to what you ate in the 24 hours before the symptoms. Try to find that common denominator.

Mr Walker
03-12-2012, 12:54 PM
I've also had severe headaches from caffeine withdrawals.

I'm going through one of them right now... hurts like fuck!

Mr Walker
03-12-2012, 12:56 PM
LT... sounds like migraines... not sure if there is a set age of onset and who knows what causes them to come on.
If your treating physician agrees, ask about treximet... my wife swears by them.

sadaist
03-12-2012, 01:03 PM
there is a set age of onset .

As with all things. I was 37 when I stopped being able to trust a fart.

Nitro Express
03-12-2012, 01:25 PM
I was in so much pain once when I was a kid and many head injuries since it sounds like someone chewing glass every time I turn my head..I wish sometimes I could tell if I am in new pain, it all runs together. I recently have begun whineing more than ever, last couple years .I like that for a change.

A friend of mine used to get migrains and he would get the pain, like you said and the dots of blindness.?

I don't believe I have ever had a migrian the tintitis won't let me think of anything else..lol

I wouldn't know if I was ill or not.

Get that MRI and best wishes. Keep us posted.

I had back problems and headaches due to back injuries and I came up with my own way of dealing with it. For some reason coral calcium and shark cartilage really help. I have tried the ocean and dry land harvested coral calcium. Some people say the ocean harvested works better but for me they both work the same and land harvested is cheaper. I use the Natures Way brand. The shark cartilage is a bit hard to find but a good health store can usually get it for you. I also do stretching exercises and use LED heat lights on my back. I've done everything over the years but that coral calcium/shark cartilage mix really helps.

I used to have a Chinese girlfriend who used to give me the best back massages all the time. It usually ended up in a good fucking session afterwards. Man. Don't tell my current wife but I miss those days. LOL!

sadaist
03-12-2012, 01:28 PM
shark cartilage really help.

I actually took that supplement for a while too when I was sick in 2000. I stopped for 2 reasons. Was expensive, and I figured if I didn't eat sharks that they would return the favor when I go boogie boarding.

Nitro Express
03-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I spent some time in Hong Kong as a kid and if we went out for a fancy dinner they always served shark fin soup. I guess now there is a controversy because they just chop the fin off and discard the rest of the shark. I know Obama caught some shit for eating shark fin soup. Maybe he ate it in Indonesia when he was there who knows. It's real stringy stuff.

Then you have bird's nest soup. I would eat it and then later learned it was actually made from a birds nest. All I know is in Asia, if it tastes good, eat it and don't ask questions.

SNIPER
03-12-2012, 05:36 PM
I've been having these bad headaches the last few weeks. They just come out of nowhere, last a few minutes, are in the back of my head, very intense and throbbing, and I'll lose part of the hearing in my left ear and sometimes see blurry spots in my right eye after one. I saw a doctor about this the other day and I'm scheduled to have an mri Wednesday. Anyone else here ever had headaches like this, and what was the cause of them?

Shit, hope you feel better bro and that it's nothing serious. ...It sucks getting older. When I have any aches or pains I always assume the worst. ...I think Kwame nailed it though.

SNIPER
03-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I spent some time in Hong Kong as a kid and if we went out for a fancy dinner they always served shark fin soup. I guess now there is a controversy because they just chop the fin off and discard the rest of the shark. I know Obama caught some shit for eating shark fin soup. Maybe he ate it in Indonesia when he was there who knows. It's real stringy stuff.

Then you have bird's nest soup. I would eat it and then later learned it was actually made from a birds nest. All I know is in Asia, if it tastes good, eat it and don't ask questions.

Birds Nest !?? HA!! Yeah, no shit ..that is disgusting !!! :sick0020:

Va Beach VH Fan
03-12-2012, 05:40 PM

Yes, excellent story about it on HDNet recently....

SNIPER
03-12-2012, 05:42 PM
I have a fake heart valve that was put in 04. So whenever I don't feel right I panic and get checked out. Thank god everything has been going good though.

Hardrock69
03-13-2012, 04:32 AM
If you have a headache attack, and then throw up afterwards, that is the after-effect of a concussion. Not meaning physical. Meaning, your brain recovering from the effects of one.

Back in the 80s I had occasional Grand Mal seizures. I do not and have never had epilepsy. Docs called it "seizure of unknown origin". I had MRIs, EKGs, etc.

Nothing ever found. Only had about a dozen, spread over a 10-year period.

I figured it out on my own. It was my body revolting after I weakened it through heavy work, not eating much or eating right, and NOT getting enough sleep.

Last time it happened, I had just gotten over a severe bout with the flu in 1992, when my system was seriously weakened.

Each time I had a seizure, when I woke up, first thing I had to do was get to a bathroom pronto, as the barf was sure to follow. Barfing was always the first thing I did after recovering from surgery as well. Not saying it is a real indicator of what is wrong, but your symptoms are definitely a sign of something serious.

Hope these headaches of yours mysteriously disappear just like they showed up....:(

sadaist
03-13-2012, 06:26 AM
I have a fake heart valve that was put in 04. h.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

SparkieD
03-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Have 'em check your blood pressure. When I was diagnosed with migraines, the doctor prescribed me with a low-dose blood pressure medication in spite of the fact that my BP is and always has been very, very low.

Hardrock69
03-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Oh and also, check your magnesium levels. Friend of mine had severe migraines for a long time, went to the doctor, doc told her to take magnesium supplements....boom...helped her a lot.

Heh.....listen to us Roth Army Armchair Doctors, lol.

Little Texan
03-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Just thought I'd pop in here and let everyone know what's been going on. I had some more terrible headaches Sunday night and had to be taken to the emergency room. To make a long story short, after a cat scan and an mri I was diagnosed with hydrocephalus, which is excess fluid on the brain. I had surgery Wed morning to install something call a shunt, a drain tube that goes from the back of my skull to my stomach and drains all of the excess fluid from my brain. I'm currently recovering with family, and I haven't had any more headaches. Thanks everybody for the support and well wishes!

Momshell
03-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Wow. Glad they figured it out and that you are recovering well. I hope you are back to yourself soon. Sounds like you've been through a lot. Must've been pretty scary. Happy to hear you are going to be fine.

Sensible Shoes
03-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Very scary stuff. Glad to hear they solved it.

Sent from my LG-P505 using Tapatalk

Jagermeister
03-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Just thought I'd pop in here and let everyone know what's been going on. I had some more terrible headaches Sunday night and had to be taken to the emergency room. To make a long story short, after a cat scan and an mri I was diagnosed with hydrocephalus, which is excess fluid on the brain. I had surgery Wed morning to install something call a shunt, a drain tube that goes from the back of my skull to my stomach and drains all of the excess fluid from my brain. I'm currently recovering with family, and I haven't had any more headaches. Thanks everybody for the support and well wishes!

Holy shit. Get well soon.

Nitro Express
03-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Like I said it was a good thing you got in to the doctor when you did. Out of the normal headaches that start at the back of the head are usually a sign of something more serious. Hopefully draining off the fluid will do the trick. Good thing you caught it early. When the fluid gets infected you have real troubles.

Nitro Express
03-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Oh and also, check your magnesium levels. Friend of mine had severe migraines for a long time, went to the doctor, doc told her to take magnesium supplements....boom...helped her a lot.

Heh.....listen to us Roth Army Armchair Doctors, lol.

Most of the US are deficient in magnesium. It's an element most people could use more of.

Nitro Express
03-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Birds Nest !?? HA!! Yeah, no shit ..that is disgusting !!! :sick0020:

I liked it better than the shark fin soup. They harvest these bird nests out of these cliffs made by a specific species of bird. They make the nests with their saliva and whatever they scrounge up. They make the soup by boiling the bird's nest and straining it a bunch of times. I did not know this at the time. I thought it was just the name of the soup. Fortunately it was considered a delicasy and only served at special occasions or at expensive dinners. Most the time we just went out for dim sum. But them you got grass jello but that's a whole other story.

I still have my old school uniform from those days. It looks just like something Angus Young would wear. LOL! I lost my virginity in Hong Kong too. In a part of the island named Happy Valley of all places. LOL! Maybe bird's net soup is an afrodisiac.

LUDWIG USA
03-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Hey get well soon! Glad you got treatment and are on your way to feeling better!

Va Beach VH Fan
03-17-2012, 09:04 PM

I looked at some images of the tubing.... Is any of it visible, like around the side of the neck ??

Glad it alleviated the headaches and that you got it taken care of....

Hardrock69
03-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Holy shit! Glad they figured out what the deal was! Hope you recover to your usual self!

binnie
03-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Worst headaches I've had always come after I've thrown my neck/shoulder out.

Stretching daily seems to help.....

sadaist
03-18-2012, 10:05 AM

So you are now an OFFICIAL ZOMBIE! Since the brain juice is going to your stomach, you are basically eating it.

BRAINS! YUMMY BRAINS!!!!!!!

http://uszts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/zombie-food-chain.gif

Glad they caught it & fixed you up man. Get well soon!

sadaist
03-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Zombie poonanner. She can eat my brains any time she wants. (Not like I'm using them anyways)

http://www.mycomicnetwork.com/v2/gallery/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/emma-frost-zombie.jpg

chefcraig
03-18-2012, 11:12 AM
I've sent you some light-hearted PMs over this deal, but again, I can not stress how relieved I am that you will be doing OK now. I really do not wish to say goodbye to yet another ROTH ARMY friend and compatriot any time soon. Got that, soldier?

All the best to you and yours.

sadaist
03-18-2012, 11:51 AM
I really do not wish to say goodbye to yet another ROTH ARMY friend and compatriot any time soon. Got that, soldier?

Me either.

I'm happy that many of us feel close enough to share our personal lives with each other. This place is my online home and I view all of you as my asshole big brothers and sisters :)

Very glad Little Texan that you are going to be well. Some scary shit for sure. Stay ROTH strong! Been thinking about this thread a lot (as I know others have) & thank you for letting us know what was up.

Get better so we can get back to calling you a cocksucker!

sadaist
03-18-2012, 11:53 AM
excess fluid on the brain

Think of it as marination. :-)

Little Texan
03-19-2012, 02:05 PM
I looked at some images of the tubing.... Is any of it visible, like around the side of the neck ??

Glad it alleviated the headaches and that you got it taken care of....

Yeah, you can see it going down the right side of my chest, it's about the diameter of surgical tubing and it feels like a vein to the touch. It's routed behind my ear, around the side of my neck and down my chest, then it goes through the abdominal wall into my stomach.

chefcraig
03-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Yeah, you can see it going down the right side of my chest, it's about the diameter of surgical tubing and it feels like a vein to the touch. It's routed behind my ear, around the side of my neck and down my chest, then it goes through the abdominal wall into my stomach.

Christ, that's scary-sounding. I truly regret my drunken remarks making fun of the situation as being nothing more than a Taco Bell overdose in order to buck you up with a laugh or two. :doh::ashamed:

A speedy recovery to you, and I apologize.

clarathecarrot
03-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Dude chill your activities and get well first.

Best Wishes and good going on seeing a Doctor.

Little Texan
03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Christ, that's scary-sounding. I truly regret my drunken remarks making fun of the situation as being nothing more than a Taco Bell overdose in order to buck you up with a laugh or two. :doh::ashamed:

A speedy recovery to you, and I apologize.

Yeah, I was kinda like WTF? when I read that, but it's all good. On a side note, I thought I was going to need some Taco Bell food to get unclogged from my stay in the ICU...didn't have a bowel movement for 5 freaking days!

kwame k
03-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Thank God you went and got the MRI and didn't listen to Dr Kwame;)

Speedy recovery, bro:beers8:

SNIPER
03-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Holy crap dude!! Take care of your self sending positive vibes your way!!!

ashstralia
03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
get well, LT.

sadaist
03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
...didn't have a bowel movement for 5 freaking days!

Lots of reasons for that. The drugs constipate, and also when you are in a strange place and nervous you get constipated. Lame. BE CAREFUL!

sadaist
03-20-2012, 01:25 AM
I thought I was going to need some Taco Bell food .....

I musta been thinking of your post subconsciously cause I went to Taco Bell a little while ago.

THEY HAVE THE NEW DORITOS SHELL TACO!!!!!

Oh man! So I bought one to review for the Roth Army. EXCLUSIVE! This is from just a couple hours ago in my truck. Fresh video! lol

SNIPER
03-20-2012, 01:30 AM
:) Dude, that made me hungry. I might have to go get a couple of those.

I musta been thinking of your post subconsciously cause I went to Taco Bell a little while ago.

Oh man! So I bought one to review for the Roth Army. EXCLUSIVE! This is from just a couple hours ago in my truck. Fresh video! lol

Nitro Express
03-20-2012, 01:44 AM
I'm in the mood to eat a different kind of taco.

fryingdutchman
03-20-2012, 05:34 AM
Damn, Tex!

Glad to hear they found the issue and have taken steps to correct it.

Godspeed for a full recovery.

Von Halen
03-20-2012, 07:58 AM
I guess I have been avoiding this thread because I really didn't want to know what was going on. What a selfish fucker I am. Sorry bro.

Glad it is something that can be corrected LT. Did they say what caused the fluid in the first place? Is the tube temporary, or permanent?

Va Beach VH Fan
03-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Glad it is something that can be corrected LT. Did they say what caused the fluid in the first place? Is the tube temporary, or permanent?

Probably banging his head against the wall with the years of no information coming out of the Van Halen camp.... ;)

Jagermeister
03-20-2012, 10:11 AM

:lmao:

Little Texan
03-21-2012, 08:08 PM

If you wanna be a monk you gotta eat alot of tacos! :biggrin:

Thanks for the review, I'll have to try one of those when I'm recovered.

Little Texan
03-21-2012, 08:11 PM

They said a group of veins was blocking the fluid. The tube is permanent, unfortunately.

private parts
03-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Get well SOON !!!