PDA

View Full Version : Doobie Brothers' drummer Michael Hossack dies of cancer at 65

Va Beach VH Fan
03-13-2012, 03:13 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/13/michael-hossack-dead-doobie-brothers_n_1342120.html

Michael Hossack Dead: Doobie Brothers Drummer Dies At 65

First Posted: 03/13/2012 1:43 pm Updated: 03/13/2012 2:40 pm

Doobie Brothers drummer Michael Hossack died Monday at the age of 65, reports RollingStone.com. Hossack, who had been struggling with cancer, lost his battle at his home in Dubois, Wyoming.

Hossack was an early member of the Doobie Brothers, and played with the rock band between 1971 and 1973. He is featured on some of the band's biggest hits, including "Jesus Is Just Alright," "Listen to the Music" and "China Grove." In 1987 Hossack returned to the band when they reunited for a concert to benefit veterans' causes.

Hossack remained a mainstay of the group throughout the next two decades, performing on most of the group's tours until he took a health leave in 2010.

The Doobie Brothers posted this official statement on their website after the news of Hossack's death broke.

We’re posting this to confirm the sad news that’s been circulating very quickly.
Doobie Brothers drummer Michael Hossack passed away yesterday in Dubois, Wyoming, at the age of 65. His family was by his side. Our thoughts and condolences go out to his family and loved ones. We will miss him greatly.

kwame k
03-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Man, I always loved that guy's drumming:(

RIP!

fourthcoming
03-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Damn, that's sad.....gotta tell my pops. R.I.P. I saw the Doobies a few years ago with Pops at a small venue here on Long Island.....Westbury Music Fair......they killed it.

DLR Bridge
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
That friggin' cancer. Sad indeed. The station at my job has played Taking It To The Streets 4 times today. Now I can't get the Doobies appearance on What's Happenin? out of my head.

Nitro Express
03-13-2012, 03:59 PM
The first concert I ever saw was The Doobie Brothers. I still play their music a lot.

FORD
03-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Well, hopefully the fact that he played on "Jesus is Just Alright With Me" will work in his favor, and get him into Heaven. :(

fourthcoming
03-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Doobies...pre- Michael Mcdonald made some good music. First time I saw them was 1988 at Jones beach when they re-united sans Mcdonald......Joe walsh opened up.....the fact that I was 15 and on mushrooms has nothing to do with how good they were!!!

Hardrock69
03-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Saw them twice on their Summer 1977 tour. So I never go to see Michael playing with them. And then a friend of mine has been a substitute bassist for them a few times since the mid-90s...

It sucks. What can ya do. Death smiles at us all.....all a man can do is smile back....:(

ELVIS
03-13-2012, 06:11 PM
People drop like flies...

Nitro Express
03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Saw them twice on their Summer 1977 tour. So I never go to see Michael playing with them. And then a friend of mine has been a substitute bassist for them a few times since the mid-90s...

It sucks. What can ya do. Death smiles at us all.....all a man can do is smile back....:(
The Doobies would be a fun band to play bass in. Some of the bass in those songs is HUGE! What's funny is the ski instructor I had when I was a kid looked a lot like Skunk Baxter. LOL!

I would love to lay down the tasty punchy bass on Echos of Love. Damn straight.

Nitro Express
03-13-2012, 08:15 PM
People drop like flies...

Everything eventually drops including the rocks. Nothing permanent in this domain. I just laugh when people say they are going to save the planet. Dude. You are a little blip. Compared to the earth you are nothing and you are going to save it?

Mushroom
03-14-2012, 02:15 AM
The Captain and Me is my favorite doobie record. And pun intended. But they have a lot of great songs. I remember seeing the Doobies play after a Padres game at Jack Murphy Stadium. I can't remember the year, I was only 10 or so. Year was probably '80, '81. The stadium was packed and rocking.

Hardrock69
03-14-2012, 03:43 AM
The guy I mentioned is named John Cowan. I have not been keeping up with him for a few years, but he is always touring, playing his own brand of music, which is generally "Americana".

But he is an amazing bassist, and an even more incredible vocalist.

He was out with the Doobies for awhile in the 90s. Then their regular bassist became ill, or had surgery or something a few years ago, so they asked John to go back out with them again.

China Grove is a song I learned very early on when I was learning to play guitar.

fryingdutchman
03-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Just caught this on the morning news.

Very sad. R.I.P. Michael.