PDA

View Full Version : CBO: Obamacare to cost $1.76 trillion over 10 yrs

Jagermeister
03-14-2012, 10:10 AM
I have a ton of shit to post today so get your groan finger ready.

This is just the first article I found when I search. Fucking CNN doesn't even have it listed.

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/cbo-obamacare-cost-176-trillion-over-10-yrs/425831

President Obama's national health care law will cost $1.76 trillion over a decade, according to a new projection released today by the Congressional Budget Office, rather than the $940 billion forecast when it was signed into law.

Democrats employed many accounting tricks when they were pushing through the national health care legislation, the most egregious of which was to delay full implementation of the law until 2014, so it would appear cheaper under the CBO's standard ten-year budget window and, at least on paper, meet Obama's pledge that the legislation would cost "around $900 billion over 10 years." When the final CBO score came out before passage, critics noted that the true 10 year cost would be far higher than advertised once projections accounted for full implementation.

Today, the CBO released new projections from 2013 extending through 2022, and the results are as critics expected: the ten-year cost of the law's core provisions to expand health insurance coverage has now ballooned to $1.76 trillion. That's because we now have estimates for Obamacare's first nine years of full implementation, rather than the mere six when it was signed into law. Only next year will we get a true ten-year cost estimate, if the law isn't overturned by the Supreme Court or repealed by then. Given that in 2022, the last year available, the gross cost of the coverage expansions are $265 billion, we're likely looking at about $2 trillion over the first decade, or more than double what Obama advertised.

Seshmeister
03-14-2012, 10:14 AM
I always get suspicious when people start saying how much something will cost over 10 years when we are used to annual budgets.

How much will the US military cost over that period, $20 trillion? $30 trillion?

Also what percentage of US government spending is this extra healthcare cost? 5%?

I picked that percentage out my ass but anyone trying to predict anything 10 years ahead may as well do that.

By then we'll all have robots cleaning our houses and go to work in jet packs.... or will we?

Seshmeister
03-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Top tip to watch.

People defending a government program will always cost things in incremental percentages over a year, those opposed to it will say the cash price preferably over more than one year.

That's because even $20 million sounds like a lot of money to the average person in the street when it is a tiny tiny tiny impossibly irrelevant nothing amount of money in government terms.

Jagermeister
03-14-2012, 10:21 AM
I always get suspicious when people start saying how much something will cost over 10 years when we are used to annual budgets.

How much will the US military cost over that period, $20 trillion? $30 trillion?

Also what percentage of US government spending is this extra healthcare cost? 5%?

I picked that percentage out my ass but anyone trying to predict 10 years ahead may as well do that.

That's what the fucking CBO's job is.

Seshmeister
03-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Well they seem to be pretty shit at their job.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2011/01/06/Despite-GOP-Slam-CBO-Confirms-Health-Care-Savings.aspx#page1

Maybe in a few months they'll change their mind yet again...

Jagermeister
03-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Well they seem to be pretty shit at their job.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2011/01/06/Despite-GOP-Slam-CBO-Confirms-Health-Care-Savings.aspx#page1

Maybe in a few months they'll change their mind yet again...

lol. That story is from January 6th 2011. The reason it changed is explained in the article I posted.

kwame k
03-14-2012, 03:33 PM
The one thing I agree with the Repukes about is repealing this cluster fuck.

Scrap this piece of shit legislation and come up with real health care reform.

Hardrock69
03-14-2012, 04:41 PM
One question came to mind when I saw the title of this thread.....so it will cost whatever it does. How much money will it save? They are only pointing out one side of the equation.

The article explains that.

I have a friend....he is in his 40s...has a daughter who is 21 and lives in another state.....this legislation is wanting him to provide healthcare coverage for his daughter until she is 26....unless she gets married before then.....but she lives in Arizona and is a lesbian....AZ does not recognize gay marriage.

But that is not so relevant as the fact that no insurance company will let him cover his kids beyond the age of 21.

So what the fuck is he going to do?

I told him not to worry about it. He cannot be forced to cover his daughter if it is impossible to get coverage. I told him if he gets arrested over it, it is lawsuit time.

I am all for reform of the healthcare industry. It is like the gas and oil industry. They own Congress, and they get away with murder.

They must be held accountable to the PEOPLE. But as long as they own our government, nothing is going to get done. You have to admit Obama has balls to do battle with the healthcare industry. Billary tried it in the 90s and was forced to give up.

Someone has to step up to the plate and at least make the effort, and even so, just like this current package....it is not going to please everyone. I surely don't agree with the crap my friend is going through, and also, if someone tells me I am required to have health insurance, my immediate reply is that they can go fuck themselves.

Being unemployed at present, anyone who says I have to have health insurance can most DEFINITELY go fuck themselves! :mad:

ELVIS
03-14-2012, 04:45 PM
How much does it save ??

Fucking ZERO!!!

Anytime big government gets involved in something the cost goes way up...

Look at college tuition...

ELVIS
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
And BTW, softcock...

Obama isn't going up against any industry...

He's trying to make the bed for them all to lie in...

Hardrock69
03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Ah, so you are the head of the Congessional Budget Office? Good for you. We are honored to have such an experienced and knowledgeable individual posting here.

ELVIS
03-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Dude it's true...

When big government is involved in anything, costs skyrocket...

It's not open for debate, it's a fact...

Jagermeister
03-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Case an point. You buy a damn toilet today its made to save water mandated by the feds. That's great. Never mind the fact that if you take a giant shit in it you have to flush the fucker 4 times to get it all down. Where's the savings in that?

The damn incandescent light bulb. Yeah been around for YEARS. Well you won't be able to get those much longer thanks to the feds.

knuckleboner
03-14-2012, 07:32 PM
How much does it save ??

Fucking ZERO!!!

wrong. the same CBO report mentions that the $1.76 trillion figure does not take into account "significant" cost savings and revenues.

and, this is NOT an increase of double. in fact, the CBO report says that the insurance coverage costs of the bill are actually $50 billion LOWER than their previous estimate. LOWER.

i encourage anyone so interested to read the actual report (it will take you 10 minutes, tops) rather than read about it on a site with a slant. cbo report (http://www.cbo.gov/publication/43076)

Nickdfresh
03-14-2012, 07:38 PM
The one thing I agree with the Repukes about is repealing this cluster fuck.

Scrap this piece of shit legislation and come up with real health care reform.

Republicans are the ones that largely fucked it up to begin with, so they could bitch about how shitty it is ever after...

ELVIS
03-14-2012, 07:47 PM
wrong. the same CBO report mentions that the $1.76 trillion figure does not take into account "significant" cost savings and revenues.

and, this is NOT an increase of double. in fact, the CBO report says that the insurance coverage costs of the bill are actually $50 billion LOWER than their previous estimate. LOWER.

Believe that bullshit if you want to...

bueno bob
03-14-2012, 10:54 PM
I quit paying attention whenever somebody says "Obamacare"...usually the person saying it still thinks he's an Arab Muslim terra-ist...

Hardrock69
03-15-2012, 05:29 AM
Hey, Elvis needs to go to Washington Dee See and tell the CBO that he knows they are wrong and can prove it!

Go on E, get that plane ticket and get on with it! :hee:

ELVIS
03-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Their track record proves how wrong they are time and again...

Jagermeister
03-15-2012, 04:23 PM
MSM Ignores CBO Report on Doubled Obamacare Costs
We all know network nightly newscasts are bad, but just how bad are they?
The Congressional Budget Office released new cost estimates for Obamacare and, surprise, surprise, they’re about double what they said they would be when Democrats arm-twisted, bribed and lied the bill into law. Ten-year estimates increased from $940 billion to $1.76 trillion, not exactly chump change.

You’d think that would be “news,” right? I forced myself to watch all three to see and … nope.

The near doubling of cost of Obamacare didn’t get a single mention on any of the three network nightly newscasts. Not a peep.

So what did the “Big Three” cover? Below is a breakdown of each of the shows by topic in the order they were covered.

ABC World News with Diane Sawyer – Stock market rally, “economy is heating up!” Warm winter is boosting the economy. Bill Austan Goolsbee, identified simply as an “economics professor,” not former Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers for President Obama. Allergies due to early blooming plants. Floods in Louisiana. Delta plane slid off runway in Atlanta. Primaries in Alabama and Mississippi. Afghanistan massacre. Stores facing theft of Tide laundry detergent. Which city is the most and least “hopeful?" A story on the President’s dog Bo running behind a Univision report. Jaycee Dugard interview.

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams – Afghanistan massacre. Primary elections. Voter ID laws. “Spring fever,” about the warm weather. Stock market numbers. A story in Ft. Lewis, home base of the Afghan shooter. A story on the Encyclopedia Britannica ending their print form. Delta plane going off the runway. Homeless wifi hotspots at SXSW ending. Bo the President’s dog “photo-bombing” Univision. “Making a difference” segment on a 100-year-old teacher still teaching.

CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley – The stock market, “look how far the Dow has come.” Bank “stress test” results. Afghanistan massacre. Southern primaries. Floods in Louisiana. Federal government refusing the request for Harrisburg, Il to be declared a “disaster area” by FEMA. Mobster Whitey Bulger may have written 2 autobiographies. Arrest in UK phone hacking scandal. Delta plane goes off runway. A young boy who lost 85 pounds and inspired his family and friends to exercise.

That’s it, that’s everything they covered. No mention of the near doubling of the projected cost of Obama, only passing mention of ever-rising gas prices, but only in the context of the primaries, nothing about Vice-President Biden saying Republicans don’t understand the middle class while dining “on grass-fed New York strip steaks and white truffle mashed potatoes” at a minimum $10,000 per couple dinner, or the White House pulling back yet again on their transparency pledge.

But we do know Bo the dog ran through the background of a live shot on Univision, so there’s that.

There’s bias through spin, and there’s bias through omission. The “Big Three” are certainly guilty of both.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/03/15/Networks%20Ignore%20CBO%20Report%20on%20Doubled%20 Obamacare%20Costs?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BigJournalism+%28Big+Journali sm%29

knuckleboner
03-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Believe that bullshit if you want to...

dude, you are fucking hysterical. it's the EXACT SAME REPORT AS THE ONE JAGERMISTER commented on. if mine is bullshit, then so's this entire thread, including all of your posts...