PDA

View Full Version : Jump Video Vs Album Version

NIN1211
03-23-2012, 11:12 PM
My Big Question is this....why in the video of Jump does Dave do an, excuse me, Whooo ohh after Ed's solo....but on the disc it's not there. What came first The vid or the cd? Anyone know what I am talking about? This is bigger than the chicken and the egg in my opinion.

SNIPER
03-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Yep, I do. I don't know the story though.

fourthcoming
03-23-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm guessing.....because Dave directed the video, maybe he took some liberties here and there and added that little diddy on the spot, rather than lypsincing....and that particular portion of the video was actually recorded live.

DONNIEP
03-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Probably just Dave's idea of punching up a flat spot in the video. And it works. :gulp:

ELVIS
03-24-2012, 08:08 AM
The video came first and they said "hey, let's make a cd."

Same story behind Hot For Teacher...

:fighting0056:

atomicpnk47
03-24-2012, 08:54 AM
That was Dave just being Dave :biggrin:

Zing!
03-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Back in the day of cassettes, a buddy of mine that did all the high school dances recorded stereo quality audio from the Jump, HFT, and Panama videos for me, then synced them in order back into a 1984 tape. It seemed cool at the time to have a version of that album that was different than everyone else with Dave's extra yell on Jump, the airplane intro on Panama, and the Waldo bit from HFT playing on my car stereo. As for the Jump vid - your guess is as good as mine. Dave probably added it in because he could.

indeedido
03-24-2012, 09:11 AM
I ripped it off of the dvd of videos for some digital quality. I used it on my VH mix disc

sadaist
03-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Yep, I do. I don't know the story though.

I know we have discussed this before but I also forget the story. Either way, when I hear the normal version I find myself singing the extra "OOOOHHOHH". I think it's better with it there.

TJMKID
03-24-2012, 10:49 AM
By 1984 ---- Eddie had already built the 5150 studio and had become quite the Van Hitler dictator douchebag in Van Halen. Everything that went on in that studio had to pass the stringent Eddie "sniff test". Of course, Ed and Valerie were sniffing massive quantities of a certain Colombian export at that time ---- but that's a whole different story.

Luckily ---- in 1984, Dave was still in charge of making the music videos ---- which is why we get the ultra-cool "Ohhh--ohhh-ohhh" snippet you mention. Just Dave being super cool and creative as always.

ELVIS
03-24-2012, 11:54 AM
a buddy of mine

Are you pRick Harrison ??

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fg3eomJV0tc/TD5sJIK_ynI/AAAAAAAAANw/upEbVg2gkUY/s320/Rick-Harrison-Pawn-Stars.jpg

:biggrin:

Mushroom
03-25-2012, 03:48 AM
By 1984 ---- Eddie had already built the 5150 studio and had become quite the Van Hitler dictator douchebag in Van Halen. Everything that went on in that studio had to pass the stringent Eddie "sniff test". Of course, Ed and Valerie were sniffing massive quantities of a certain Colombian export at that time ---- but that's a whole different story.

Luckily ---- in 1984, Dave was still in charge of making the music videos ---- which is why we get the ultra-cool "Ohhh--ohhh-ohhh" snippet you mention. Just Dave being super cool and creative as always.

Take these statements with a grain of salt. Analogous to... If enough people say it, it becomes true.