PDA

View Full Version : Fuck off hollywood!

Seshmeister
03-27-2012, 05:23 PM
This is a new low.

A trailer for a trailer of a remake of a film barely 20 years old????

vandeleur
03-27-2012, 05:31 PM
Watched the original Recently and forgot how violent it was ...

ThrillsNSpills
03-27-2012, 05:32 PM
sequels work sometimes.

remakes work never.

at least I've never seen one that wasn't abominable

jhale667
03-27-2012, 05:38 PM
I doubt even Kate Beckinsale's hotness can save this one.

Coyote
03-27-2012, 05:49 PM
I wonder how many more bright ideas these people have left...

gbranton
03-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Like Colon fucking Farrell could deliver the line "Consider that a divorce" better than Ahnold. In his dreams maybe.

sadaist
03-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Wait though. Remake? Or another story similar? Colin farrell isn't that bad. I kinda think he is ok in certain roles. (NOT SONNY CROCKETT!) And Kate Beckinsale? Well, I'd eat her asshole. This might be an ok flick if the story is good. God knows the special effects will rock.

Seshmeister
03-27-2012, 06:45 PM
God knows the special effects will rock.

Looks like a video game to me.

gbranton
03-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Wait though. Remake? Or another story similar?

It's a remake of the original which, like Minority Report was based on a Philip K. Dick short story.

These two movies, along with A Scanner Darkly, Paycheck, Next, Screamers, and The Adjustment Bureau, are not the most famous movie to be made from a Dick novel. The most iconic movie treatment of his works was based on the book titled "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". Bonus points if you know the name of the movie.

Terry
03-27-2012, 09:19 PM
It's a remake of the original which, like Minority Report was based on a Philip K. Dick short story.

These two movies, along with A Scanner Darkly, Paycheck, Next, Screamers, and The Adjustment Bureau, are not the most famous movie to be made from a Dick novel. The most iconic movie treatment of his works was based on the book titled "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". Bonus points if you know the name of the movie.

Blade Runner

Catfish
Total Recall was brilliant. Two great storylines (your memory and the Mars thing) blended into one great story. Not to mention Sharon Stone at her hottest, Arnold in his prime, fantastic villains in Ronny Cox and Michael Ironside and one of the most violent 2 hours in film history—Christ it even had a naked chick with three boobs! It’s a perfect movie!

Terry
Wait though. Remake? Or another story similar? Colin farrell isn't that bad. I kinda think he is ok in certain roles. (NOT SONNY CROCKETT!) And Kate Beckinsale? Well, I'd eat her asshole. This might be an ok flick if the story is good. God knows the special effects will rock.

Kate Beckinsdale is pretty fucking hot.

minkahed
03-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Kate Beckinsdale is pretty fucking hot.

Ya think ?

TwoFoolsAMinute
03-27-2012, 09:30 PM
remakes work never.

What about The Thing?
Cape Fear
Ransom
Scarface

Terry
03-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Ya think ?

Yes...yes, I do.

gbranton
03-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Blade Runner

Either you Google or useless shit sticks in your mind like it does mine, LOL.

One of my best friends collects science fiction books and some of the Philip K Dick stuff is quite sought after now, including the basis for Total Recall "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale". Like many authors, he saw very little money from his works while he was still alive, though he wrote over 40 books.

I'll make this one tougher:

One of my favorite stories involving an author who fell into that category saw the the author in question living in his car when work commenced on making his first full length novel into what I feel is easily one of the best movies ever made. The director and producer felt sorry for the author and gave him a screenwriting and executive producer credits to cut him in on the profits. Sadly he was later sentenced to a six month jail term for stealing some books, where his health became poor, he lost forty pounds and later died at the all too young age of 46.

Terry
03-27-2012, 09:39 PM
What about The Thing?

Yeah...definitely a quantum leap over the original The Thing From Another World.

Then again, Carpenter wasn't afraid to take the basic premise of the original and use that as a launching pad to do something completely different. Plus, Carpenter assembled a fucking killer cast of character actors.

Terry
03-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Either you Google or useless shit sticks in your mind like it does mine, LOL.

One of my best friends collects science fiction books and some of the Philip K Dick stuff is quite sought after now, including the basis for Total Recall "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale". Like many authors, he saw very little money from his works while he was still alive, though he wrote over 40 books.

I'll make this one tougher:

One of my favorite stories involving an author who fell into that category saw the the author in question living in his car when work commenced on making his first full length novel into what I feel is easily one of the best movies ever made. The director and producer felt sorry for the author and gave him a screenwriting and executive producer credits to cut him in on the profits. Sadly he was later sentenced to a six month jail term for stealing some books, where his health became poor, he lost forty pounds and later died at the all too young age of 46.

My old man took me to see Blade Runner when it first hit the theaters, then he bought me the Dick book Electric Sheep. I was too young to really understand most of what I was seeing (I was only 12) in terms of the subtext...things like Gaff's matchstick and tinfoil figures...all that shit blew right by me back then. Electric Sheep was also very different in terms of tone than what ended up onscreen. But I love that fucking movie...always have.

gbranton
03-27-2012, 09:50 PM
remakes work never.

Sure you have, though you probably didn't realize it was a remake. The movie is a Hong Kong action flick called Infernal Affairs, which tells the story of a police officer who infiltrates the triads, and a police officer secretly working for the same gang. It was so successful in Hong Kong it generated a prequel and then a sequel. All three movies are available on DVD here in America.

Martin Scorsese then went on to remake the movie under the title The Departed, which I though was a fanfuckingtastic movie.

gbranton
03-27-2012, 09:52 PM
My old man took me to see Blade Runner when it first hit the theaters, then he bought me the Dick book Electric Sheep. I was too young to really understand most of what I was seeing (I was only 12) in terms of the subtext...things like Gaff's matchstick and tinfoil figures...all that shit blew right by me back then. Electric Sheep was also very different in terms of tone than what ended up onscreen. But I love that fucking movie...always have.

Very cool. I do think that Dick was quite mad, but I think the most successful authors range from being a little touched in the head to being quite mad.

sadaist
03-27-2012, 09:57 PM
It's a remake of the original.

Lame. The Arnold one was perfect. It had a lady with 3 boobs!

I'm considering getting into science fiction a little and need a couple of starter books. Do I go Heinlen or Asimov? I want to start with some thinner books. Which author & any particular ones I should seek out?

gbranton
03-27-2012, 10:20 PM

I'm considering getting into science fiction a little and need a couple of starter books. Do I go Heinlen or Asimov? I want to start with some thinner books. Which author & any particular ones I should seek out?

Wow, that's hard to say Heilen and Asimov, along with Arthur C. Clarke, are considered to be the "Big Three" of science fiction literature. Heinlen was more controversial for his day (and maybe still) and his books have some political/racial/sexual themes in them. I find Asimov's style to be rather direct and simple but quite effective. He was also QUITE prescient about things such as computers and was credited with inventing the term "robotics".

I love to collect books which spawned movies, so I could recommend Azimov's "I, Robot", which is a series of nine short stories.

gbranton
03-27-2012, 11:41 PM

Fellow Alabamian Gustav Hasford, whose book "The Short Timers", along with Michael Herr's "Dispatches", is the basis for the movie "Full Metal Jacket". Hasford's book introduced the Private Joker character and is mostly responsible for the first half of the movie, including the ABSOLUTELY EPIC bootcamp sequences. Herr's book was a non-fictional account of his time as a correspondant for Esquire magazine during the Vietnam war and was the basis for Pvt Joker's experiences in the second half of the movie. Herr also co-wrote the script for the movie.

Hasford did write a second book concerning Joker and his Vietnam experience, called The Phantom Blooper. If you like to read and liked the movie Full Metal Jacket I HIGHLY recommend this one. It shows the Vietnamese as real people and not just props for the hero to knock over like so many Vietnam War novels have. It has to be one of the most interesting books I have ever read.

Nitro Express
03-28-2012, 12:43 AM
sequels work sometimes.

remakes work never.

That's the truth. George Lucas proved that by remaking and ruining all his classic Star Wars movies.

sadaist
03-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Wow, that's hard to say Heilen and Asimov, along with Arthur C. Clarke, are considered to be the "Big Three" of science fiction literature. Heinlen was more controversial for his day (and maybe still) and his books have some political/racial/sexual themes in them. I find Asimov's style to be rather direct and simple but quite effective. He was also QUITE prescient about things such as computers and was credited with inventing the term "robotics".

I love to collect books which spawned movies, so I could recommend Azimov's "I, Robot", which is a series of nine short stories.

Thanks dude. Im gonna pick it up.

I already read all the classics. Hemingway, Steinbeck, London, Stevenson, etc... So I wanted to try something else. Checked out westerns and got a Loius L'Amour book but it just really didn't do it for me. So I'm gonna give this genre a try.

Seshmeister
03-28-2012, 01:20 AM
The shitty thing is when a remake or sequel actually kills the original.

For a while for me Highlander 2 did that by being so fucking terrible it also managed to kill the original movie.

In the long term that wasn't so bad. I challenge anyone to watch the opening fight scene in Highlander in the car park now as a grown up person and not be appalled... :)

I'm not saying that Total Recall was a legendary film it had Arnie in it FFS but it's hard not to feel that Hollywood from paralysed fear of failure is selling a shitty xerox copy of our history to the kids today and that is a fucking disgrace. No originality, no support for original writers, it doesn't give the kids their own history and worst of all for us is that it kills our version for ever.

If these dickholes aren't careful Hollywood is going to go the same way as Detroit...

sadaist
03-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Totally Sesh. No fucking originality any more. Umm....I can't even remember a good movie that had any amount of freshness to it at all. Look what they did to Indiana Jones. FUCK! Harrison was still a awesome as could be in the movie. but what a horrible script. And Shia Lebouef? Man............way to fucking ruin it.

chefcraig
03-28-2012, 09:48 AM
There is a rumor that the clueless, thought-free and completely uninspired nitwits that work in Hollywood came up with a country music-themed remake of Footloose sometime in the last year or so. I say rumor because no one I have encountered while walking the planet can lay claim to having ever seen the remake, plus the fact that anyone who may have been involved in it's production is denying it ever took place.

Seriously, what sort of drugs are these producers using, and where can I gain access to them? You know, the sort of stuff that after it's been smoked, inhaled or swallowed while watching an old, syndicated rerun on tv, brings you to the stark realization that Cedric The Entertainer and some nitwit you've never heard of would be perfect in a re-do as these guys?

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee71/HammockRider/chefofthefuture.jpg

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy124/Ayhankirca/My%20Movie%20Collection/Thehoneymooners.jpg

jhale667
03-28-2012, 10:06 AM
There is a rumor that the clueless, thought-free and completely uninspired nitwits that work in Hollywood came up with a country music-themed remake of Footloose sometime in the last year or so. I say rumor because no one I have encountered while walking the planet can lay claim to having ever seen the remake, plus the fact that anyone who may have been involved in it's production is denying it ever took place.

Seriously, what sort of drugs are these producers using, and where can I gain access to them? You know, the sort of stuff that after it's been smoked, inhaled or swallowed while watching an old, syndicated rerun on tv, brings you to the stark realization that Cedric The Entertainer and some nitwit you've never heard of would be perfect in a re-do as these guys?

I know it exists because it's listed on PPV this month, but I've never seen the first Footloose, FFS - zero interest in the remake.

sadaist
03-28-2012, 11:20 AM
The absolute worst thing I saw advertised for a movie that made me literally sick to my stomach. Comparing this...

http://staff-look-a-likes.synthasite.com/resources/Betty_270x.jpg

to this....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8uu74CiZGAA/TuObiPanzqI/AAAAAAAAEGY/X1gAHaNpUis/s1600/RosieODonnell.jpg

THE HORROR!

vandeleur
03-28-2012, 11:32 AM
fuck ricky gervais shaved his beard and played betty ... wtf :biggrin:

DLR Bridge
03-28-2012, 11:42 AM
http://staff-look-a-likes.synthasite.com/resources/Betty_270x.jpg

Where's Panamark with his lust for the blonde one (Barney) on the Flintstones? Ha hah!

chefcraig
03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Where's Panamark with his lust for the blonde one (Barney) on the Flintstones? Ha hah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ck-09fvlpI

Zing!
03-28-2012, 12:06 PM

How about Jules Verne?

FYI - Carpenter's 'The Thing' is the greatest movie ever, except for maybe 'Escape From New York.'

ThatArtGuy
03-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Actually, I have no problem remaking Total Recall. I just watched it again recently and it's now horribly, horribly dated.

ThatArtGuy
03-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Too bad it's Colin Farrell.

vandeleur
03-28-2012, 12:14 PM
How about Jules Verne?

FYI - Carpenter's 'The Thing' is the greatest movie ever, except for maybe 'Escape From New York.'

carpenters thing is totally up there

vandeleur
03-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Actually, I have no problem remaking Total Recall. I just watched it again recently and it's now horribly, horribly dated.

yeah i saw it recently it wasnt to bad .. the dated bit was arnies cheesey one liners .. but guess at the time that was part of the fun .. the thing that struck me was how many people got killed and how bloody the gun shots were , the scene were the people from work turn on him and he guns them down i cant remember it being that gory ...

chefcraig
03-28-2012, 12:36 PM

Because the sci-fi field is so broad, I'd heartily recommend rather than seeking out one or two authors at a time (which can be a tedious, time consuming affair), you pick up one of the annual Year's Best Science Fiction anthologies, edited by Gardner Dozois. In each compilation, you'll find dozens of short or novella length stories, and you'll then get a good grip on what you both like and don't care for. The series started in 1984, never disappoints and is still going strong to this day.

Here is an Amazon link for the 2011 edition: LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Years-Best-Science-Fiction-Twenty-Eighth/dp/0312569505)

Seshmeister
03-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Too bad it's Colin Farrell.

I find him a bit irritating.

Actors who are 'terrible alcoholics' for a whole 6 or 8 months and then preach how they are now teetotal always do.

Unchainme
03-28-2012, 01:00 PM
This pretty much comfirms how much of a fucking wasteland hollywood is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDMXkPfxjOc

the amount of stupidity in this, actual fills me with rage. Fucking A., WHAT THE HELL IS LIAM NEESON DOING EVEN CLOSE TO THIS SHIT.

jhale667
03-28-2012, 01:16 PM
How about Jules Verne?

Carpenter's "The Thing" rules!!! Actually was so bored I DID check out the remake (of the remake) of that a couple of weekends back, and it surprisingly didnt completely suck... oddly they made the main character female in that one...

vandeleur
03-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Thought the remake of the remake was nearly passable the effects kinda tried to be like the carpenter version rather than obvious shitty cgi .. Which I hate

jhale667
03-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Thought the remake of the remake was nearly passable the effects kinda tried to be like the carpenter version rather than obvious shitty cgi .. Which I hate

It does seem like they tried to stay somewhat faithful to Carpenter's creature concept, that part was kinda cool...they kept the tendrils!!

vandeleur
03-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Thought Colin Farrell was good in ... In Bruges ... Which is a great film .... Ain't been impressed by much else

Kristy
03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Apparently, there is to be a Warriors remake. So it gets worse.

Oh, and a Red Dawn remake.

Seems films about war/recruiting are in. But that's my Illuminati/Conspiracy/Overtly Paranoid/Tin Foil hat side shining through.

Seshmeister
03-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Thought Colin Farrell was good in ... In Bruges ... Which is a great film .... Ain't been impressed by much else

True, In Bruges is great - top tip for our US readers here who I guess very few saw it.

Alexander was a big stinky poo.

vandeleur
03-28-2012, 02:08 PM
The warriors ... Man their gonna butcher a classic ... Featuring Justin briber as swan Probably

vandeleur
03-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Back to in Bruges ... It's hard to give someone a review of it , it's comedy it has pathos but u try tell anyone the story and ya fuck it up for them

jhale667
03-28-2012, 02:25 PM
A Warriors remake would suck out loud... plus, an updated version would be over in 10 minutes...rival gangs, argue, then proceed to kill each other with sub-machine guns, end of story.

vandeleur
03-28-2012, 02:30 PM
The warriors is funny cos I wouldn't say the music is great as most of its not my cup of tea style wise but it is veey good and fits the movie better than any movie soundtrack I can think of off the top of my head .. And when I say soundtrack I mean music actually in the movie and in the background

gbranton
03-28-2012, 02:46 PM
There should be something on this list to piss off everyone. It's from 2010 and you will see that some of these ill advised films have already come to fruition.

Any fucking idiot who thinks "Escape From New York" could be improved upon needs to lose his job. While not the best actor in Hollywood, Kurt Russell IS Snake Plisskin.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/450292/75_movie_remakes_and_reboots_currently_in_the_work s.html

Kristy
03-28-2012, 03:01 PM
The first 'Escape' is a classic and should never be improved upon in any way, shape or form.
http://violentcinema.se/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/SnakePlissken.jpg

Zing!
03-28-2012, 03:14 PM
For the record, I enjoyed the hell out of Carpenter and Russell's sequel: 'Escape From L.A.' Sure, it's a shot-by-shot clone of the original, but in my mind, Carpenter was giving a big F-U to Hollywood with that film (he notoriously hates Tinseltown and has pretty much quit the biz altogether because of how phony it has become). They threw a bunch of money at him to make another 'Escape' movie, so he basically re-did the first one but with better effects.

Plus it has a Bruce Campbell cameo.

Kristy
03-28-2012, 03:23 PM
There is a piece of worthless Hollywood trivia info on the first 'Escape' film where Russell was almost killed by riding (his) motorcycle while wearing the eye patch in that it messed with his depth perception.

Yeah, ho hum indeed.

Unchainme
03-28-2012, 06:01 PM

The sad thing is..that idea..if put into the right hands, could have had some potential.

The Electronic Movement is getting HUGE right now, and a lot of the groups out there are not getting mainstream airplay.

Change the plot to a DJ kid from Chicago moving down from Chicago and about the country fried town being anti-dance music, and you've got a movie. Easy. Done. You can squeeze in tons of cameos from famous dj's, and just have a bitching soundtrack, hell, you can even keep the original footloose at the end.

Instead, you go with country? If footloose was supposed to be about the Protagnist butting heads with the more conservative "Moral majority" crowd, why did you pick the safest music for that sort of thing? Country? The sort of music Sean Hannity, and Faux News plays for the far right whenever the opp. springs?

fucking bullshit.

Unchainme
03-28-2012, 06:02 PM
the sequel to "Escape from LA" seems like an eerie prophesy of how a Santorum presidency would go down, while we're on the subject :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVZcUAbLRU

Zing!
03-28-2012, 06:24 PM
If you're a fan of John Carpenter, you pretty much HAVE to see 'Assault on Precinct 13.' A killer exploitation flick and the movie he made before he hit it big with 'Halloween' in '78.

And yes. It was re-made. Poorly.

sadaist
03-28-2012, 06:55 PM
How about Jules Verne?

'

20,000 Leagues?

I've actually read several from Peter Benchley (guy who wrote Jaws). The one he had titled "Beast" was great. Giant squid.

gbranton
03-28-2012, 06:59 PM
If you're a fan of John Carpenter, you pretty much HAVE to see 'Assault on Precinct 13.'

So of course I need to throw out one of my favorite movies by Carpenter: "They Live".

Terry
03-28-2012, 08:56 PM
If you're a fan of John Carpenter, you pretty much HAVE to see 'Assault on Precinct 13.' A killer exploitation flick and the movie he made before he hit it big with 'Halloween' in '78.

Yeah, that Assault remake DID suck fucking donkey balls.

Coyote
03-28-2012, 09:15 PM
So of course I need to throw out one of my favorite movies by Carpenter: "They Live".

3-to-1 says there will NEVER be a remake of it. (hopefully)

TwoFoolsAMinute
03-28-2012, 09:56 PM

Ah, but the original Assault on Precinct 13 was a remake of Rio Bravo.

High Life Man
03-28-2012, 11:47 PM
sequels work sometimes.

remakes work never.

What about the 1982 "The Thing"?

High Life Man
03-28-2012, 11:50 PM

Damn good movie.

Sorry about "The Thing" post. Didn't read through all before posting. The '82 version is great, the original is damn good, however.

Also, "The Departed" was a good remake.

gbranton
03-29-2012, 12:16 AM
3-to-1 says there will NEVER be a remake of it. (hopefully)

The scene where Roddy Piper backs into the bank with a shotgun and says "I am here to kick ass and chew bubblegum......" is awesome.

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 12:22 AM
How about a remake of classic porn? The girls could grow their pubes out and the dudes could grow mustaches. Nothing like a sound track of Elextroharmonix Qtron filtered magic.

DONNIEP
03-29-2012, 12:33 AM
The scene where Roddy Piper backs into the bank with a shotgun and says "I am here to kick ass and chew bubblegum......" is awesome.

Dude!!! I fucking love this movie!!! This needs to be "remade", gee, I don't know, yesterday! :gulp:

TwoFoolsAMinute
03-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Isn't the 2011 The Thing a prequil? It's about the team that chases the dog in the helecopter at the beginning of The 82 the Thing?

Hardrock69
03-29-2012, 02:06 AM
I will say one thing about remaking Total Recall is that the part of the plot dealing with ancient structures on Mars is more relevant today than it was 20 years ago.

Read a book recently called "Dark Mission: The Secret History Of NASA", where the author interviewed and got lotsa info from former NASA employees that there is much on the Moon and on Mars that NASA is keeping from the public.

I partly don't want a remake because it is part of the Ahnold collection of films, but yeah, the FX were not that great.....and for once I can only object a little bit about a remake of this particular film. But of course I object heavily in general about Hollywood and their fucking sorry pathetic lack of originality....

Asimov is great. He created an entire universe. If you are going to read Asmiov, start with all 5 (or is it 6 now) of the Foundation series. I Robot is part of that same universe.

And, it was announced a few years ago that Roland Emmerich was going to do the Foundation Trilogy as a series of films.

Most recent news on this:

http://www.flipthetruck.com/2011/10/01/foundation-trilogy-gets-a-writer/

Isaac Asimov is a very recognized name in the realm of sci-fi literature. His stories are either intimate tales about the line between artificial intelligence and human intelligence or stories that span centuries chronicling a space civilisation.

His Foundation-trilogy is one of the latter and Sony is moving ahead with their plans of adapting the story for the big screen.

Writer Dante Harper has been hired to write the screenplay for the adaption. Roland Emmerich is set to direct. I still have to read the trilogy since I barely scratched the surface the first time I started.

The story is about a collapsing empire and a man who decides to create a place, where our cultural heritage is saved when the empire eventually vanishes. This is the setup for a story that spans centuries of conflicts. At the beginning (the part I finished) it reads more like short stories that deal with possible threats for a culture and every time a conflict surfaces there has been a calculation to prevent it from happening – everything seems to have been planned out using the science of “psychohistory” to predict the most likely outcome.

While psychohistory is yet a fictional term there are indeed a lot of models trying to do exactly this: predicting future markets, population and all that stuff.

So the story is very intriguing from a social point of view. Problem is the time: it spans decades of century so the writer needs to find a balance between adapting the story and making it accessible for a 2-hour movie. Roland Emmerich directing is a big wild card since he is not really known for having good stories in his movies. Then again I have yet to see his explosion free Shakespeare drama.

And yes, I love the movie They Live. Fucking hilarious. They should get Samuel L. Jackson to play the role of Roddy Piper's "sidekick", lol.

Hardrock69
03-29-2012, 02:32 AM
One other thing.....The Warriors. They could not top the one dude's over the top psychotic yelling about "WARRIORS........*klink klink klink* COME OUT AND....PLAAAAYAAAAAYYYYY!!!! :lol:

gbranton
03-29-2012, 02:41 AM
One other thing.....The Warriors. They could not top the one dude's over the top psychotic yelling about "WARRIORS........*klink klink klink* COME OUT AND....PLAAAAYAAAAAYYYYY!!!! :lol:

The last time I saw that guy John Matrix dropped him over a cliff in Commando.

"Salley, you remember when I promised to kill you last?"

"Yeah, that's right John, you did!"

"I lied."

gbranton
03-29-2012, 02:44 AM
And yes, I love the movie They Live. Fucking hilarious. They should get Samuel L. Jackson to play the role of Roddy Piper's "sidekick", lol.

I don't know if Sam is up to that EPIC fight scene.

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 02:56 AM
I will say one thing about remaking Total Recall is that the part of the plot dealing with ancient structures on Mars is more relevant today than it was 20 years ago.

Read a book recently called "Dark Mission: The Secret History Of NASA", where the author interviewed and got lotsa info from former NASA employees that there is much on the Moon and on Mars that NASA is keeping from the public.

I partly don't want a remake because it is part of the Ahnold collection of films, but yeah, the FX were not that great.....and for once I can only object a little bit about a remake of this particular film. But of course I object heavily in general about Hollywood and their fucking sorry pathetic lack of originality....

Asimov is great. He created an entire universe. If you are going to read Asmiov, start with all 5 (or is it 6 now) of the Foundation series. I Robot is part of that same universe.

And, it was announced a few years ago that Roland Emmerich was going to do the Foundation Trilogy as a series of films.

Most recent news on this:

http://www.flipthetruck.com/2011/10/01/foundation-trilogy-gets-a-writer/

Richard C. Hoagland. I met him at the Salt Lake City Masonic Lodge. He's a mason. He gave a presentation at the lodge. They also used the lodge to film some movie he was in. It's a cool old building.

twonabomber
03-29-2012, 03:02 AM
20,000 Leagues?

I've actually read several from Peter Benchley (guy who wrote Jaws). The one he had titled "Beast" was great. Giant squid.

Benchley's "Island" book was good, too. don't remember much about the movie, other than Michael Caine being in it. i'll have to see if i can find it cheap.

they had that dope Jonah Hill on Stern a couple weeks ago, and he's trying to rationalize his version of 21 Jump Street. i wanted to call in and give him shit about it.

i felt Arthur was not old enough to be re-made and was really meant as a familiar story to push Russell Brand on America. i'm not sure it worked. when the Brand/Katy Perry wedding was announced, i posted somewhere that "couldn't she find an unfunny American to marry?" and one of the responses i got was "Dane Cook is gay."

i didn't think King Kong was ready to be re-made either but by then Peter Jackson had enough clout to do it. i thought the movie dragged in the middle, by the time the crew came up against the dinosaurs i was thinking "enough already." spectacular to look at though. looking back, the seventies version is just meh. seems like De Laurentiis' movies don't age well, compared to Scorscese or Kubrick's.

the Warriors...one of my favorites. saw it at the drive-in when mom managed the concession stand. she'd park the car next to the building and we'd sit out there and watch movies until we fell asleep. a week after we saw it there was a riot during a midnight showing of the movie. once it hit cable my friends and i all walked around yelling "CAN YOU DIG IT!" no way it should be re-made.

gbranton
03-29-2012, 03:04 AM
Richard C. Hoagland.

Lost civilizations on the Moon and Mars. It sounds like something I hear when I accidentally turn on the radio in the middle of the night and catch Coast to Coast AM and I have to say some of those folks don't sound right.

twonabomber
03-29-2012, 03:04 AM
This pretty much comfirms how much of a fucking wasteland hollywood is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDMXkPfxjOc

the amount of stupidity in this, actual fills me with rage. Fucking A., WHAT THE HELL IS LIAM NEESON DOING EVEN CLOSE TO THIS SHIT.

i eagerly await the "Connect Four" movie...

gbranton
03-29-2012, 03:11 AM
i didn't think King Kong was ready to be re-made either but by then Peter Jackson had enough clout to do it. i thought the movie dragged in the middle, by the time the crew came up against the dinosaurs i was thinking "enough already." spectacular to look at though. looking back, the seventies version is just meh. seems like De Laurentiis' movies don't age well, compared to Scorscese or Kubrick's.

Of his older stuff Serpico holds up pretty well, along with Death Wish. One of my favorite movies is Bound, which has been out since 1996 and as campy as they are, I like Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness as well.

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 03:13 AM
Lost civilizations on the Moon and Mars. It sounds like something I hear when I accidentally turn on the radio in the middle of the night and catch Coast to Coast AM and I have to say some of those folks don't sound right.

When Hoagland talked to us at the masonic lodge his topic was the nazis infiltrating our government because we pardoned so many of them to work in our space program. He didn't get into the stuff he talks about on Coast to Coast AM regarding Mars and the Moon.

My father in law worked for the government contract side of Boeing. He told me he saw some NASA photographs of the moon that had what looked like glass structures on the surface of it. What's funny is I know he's never read any of Hoaglands stuff but Hoagland says the same thing. Ingo Swann said the same thing in his book Penatration. So who knows. It makes for an interesting radio show I guess. I think a lot of these guys make a lot of money telling stories about this stuff. If you are big in the UFO world you can make a lot of money. It's a huge market.

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 03:17 AM
the Warriors...one of my favorites. saw it at the drive-in when mom managed the concession stand. she'd park the car next to the building and we'd sit out there and watch movies until we fell asleep. a week after we saw it there was a riot during a midnight showing of the movie. once it hit cable my friends and i all walked around yelling "CAN YOU DIG IT!" no way it should be re-made.

The preview looked so cool we snuck into the theater to see it. We were under age to see an R rated movie. It's still one of my favorites. It's one of those movies that can't be remade. It would be like remaking the Wizard of Oz. Some movies just need to be left alone.

Seshmeister
03-29-2012, 04:47 AM
My father in law worked for the government contract side of Boeing. He told me he saw some NASA photographs of the moon that had what looked like glass structures on the surface of it.

He is either ripping the piss out of you or a fucking bozo.

Dave's Bitch
03-29-2012, 05:15 AM

I had that as my sig a few years back :).That is a great one after a few drinks.You can substitute warriors for any name .I also love this one

A remake of the warriors would be awful

chefcraig
03-29-2012, 08:47 AM
This pretty much confirms how much of a fucking wasteland hollywood is:

Coming soon: The expanded, big-screen, epic-like version of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX2bqI--c-k

BITEYOASS
03-29-2012, 08:56 AM
I wonder when "NERF: The Movie" will be released?

ZahZoo
03-29-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm not a big fan of remakes and this Total Recall deal sounds like shit... I don't get how or why Hollywood has gotten in this rut of recycling everything.

I can only see it getting worse... even though the Cohen brothers did an excellent remake of True Grit. I see that as a precedent that has no end of trashing old classics. I was surprised anyone would even touch a great John Wayne classic... but the deed is done. I guess the only reason Hollywood hasn't tried to touch any of the Clint Eastwood classics is because he's still around and highly respected in the industry.

Give it a few years and I wouldn't be the least surprised of hearing of Di Niro & Pacino staring in Grumpy Old Godfathers...

gbranton
03-29-2012, 11:55 AM
When Hoagland talked to us at the masonic lodge his topic was the nazis infiltrating our government because we pardoned so many of them to work in our space program.

That is fact, not speculation. There was a substantial enough visible Nazi Party presence in this country that at one time there were large rallies in THIS country. Google will show you pictures of Nazi Party rallies at Madison Square Garden. Those people did not just disappear into thin air, they went underground.

vandeleur
03-29-2012, 01:29 PM
deleted due to me posting a stupid most ...

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 01:37 PM
I'm a 3rd Degree blue lodge mason. Not currently active. I worked in the finance industry in Salt Lake City and all the movers and shakers were masons in that industry.

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 01:42 PM
That is fact, not speculation. There was a substantial enough visible Nazi Party presence in this country that at one time there were large rallies in THIS country. Google will show you pictures of Nazi Party rallies at Madison Square Garden. Those people did not just disappear into thin air, they went underground.

There was a Nazi presence in the US before World War II. Ford will tell you grand daddy Bush was a nazi backer. Rumors are the Bush family and basically the skull and bones crowd are nazis. Hoagland's talk dealt with nazis that were brought over after the war and put into key positions in NASA for the space program and these people later infiltrated other parts of the government. If you look at the patriot act it's straight out of the nazi constitution. Hoagland warned about a nazi takeover of the United States using corporate means to do it. Rumors are Obama simply works for the Bush family and was a CIA asset used to infiltrate Pakistan before he was groomed to be president. So in Ford terms, Obama is BCE. This may be speculation but I can tell you Romney is a Bush agent. That's obvious.

vandeleur
03-29-2012, 01:43 PM
dude, i deleted it when i realised what a inappropriate question it was ..... oh so it doesnt sound like a weird question am also in the craft :beers8:

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 01:54 PM
He is either ripping the piss out of you or a fucking bozo.

He was serious and he's not the type of guy to believe such stuff. He didn't say they were glass structures he said they looked like glass structures. Big difference. It's like saying that mountain on mars looks like a face opposed to saying it is a face. It could be shadows and lighting on some rocks that look like glass. They probably tucked those photos away to keep people from blowing it out of proportion.

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 01:55 PM
dude, i deleted it when i realised what a inappropriate question it was ..... oh so it doesnt sound like a weird question am also in the craft :beers8:

Mak Benah!

vandeleur
03-29-2012, 02:00 PM
so did you resign or can you still go back .... if that so be your desire

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 02:03 PM
so did you resign or can you still go back .... if that so be your desire

Never resigned. Changed occupations and moved. Not active in the lodge here. Don't want to hang with a bunch of old shriners. LOL!

vandeleur
03-29-2012, 02:07 PM
we dont have the shriners here ....

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm in the York rite but never completed the royal arch. It seems like finance people like to be Knight's Templars.

What's funny is I was in a knight's templar fraternity in college. I was not a mason then but I listed it on my resume and got a job because of it. I later learned they thought I was a mason and that is why I got the job. Half the company was Knight's of Columbus catholics and the other half were York rite masons. Tallk about a rivalry.

The Shriners do a lot of good charity work but man are they a bunch of crazy old fucks. All of the ones I ever knew were old.

vandeleur
03-29-2012, 02:52 PM
yeah am in the chapter, hardly go tho ... i go to craft cos all my friends and our dads are in so its cool. But only joined the royal arch when i was on the ladder , once i came off i stopped going to the chapter as much .

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm also in Rotary International. I have a friend working in the UK and he says you guys go all out in your Rotary meetings. He says it's takes all evening. It's cocktails, a fancy dinner, more cocktails and cigars if that's your thing. Here in the states it's lunch at the local steak house and that's it.

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 03:02 PM
yeah am in the chapter, hardly go tho ... i go to craft cos all my friends and our dads are in so its cool. But only joined the royal arch when i was on the ladder , once i came off i stopped going to the chapter as much .

I had the goal to go all the way to Knight's Templar but life got in the way. It just seems like the masonic system was for more stable times where people didn't change jobs and move so much. I liked the Salt Lake City lodge. There were a lot of good people there.

vandeleur
03-29-2012, 03:04 PM
not in the rotary thing , tho its sounds just like the lodge .....especially the drinking , it can go on pretty late... have heard my lodge described as the one were u get a lift home off the milkman ( meaning people are drinking there all night)

vandeleur
03-29-2012, 03:05 PM
and i been to a couple of scottish lodges and they properly go for it , very serious ritual followed be very serious ammounts of whiskey

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Hollywood does sound like a fucked place.

jhale667
03-29-2012, 04:43 PM
The last time I saw that guy John Matrix dropped him over a cliff in Commando.

"Salley, you remember when I promised to kill you last?"

"Yeah, that's right John, you did!"

"I lied."

I haven't see that dude since the 90's...wasn't he the poor actor the substitute prop guy handed the improperly-packed dummy gun that fatally wounded Brandon Lee in The Crow in '94? I heard he was completely f***ed up by that...and who wouldn't be...

Geez, speaking of F*ed up remakes...seems like I heard there's going to be yet another Crow movie - a "reboot"...ALL of the sequels sucked out loud. That's one they SERIOUSLY should have left alone.

gbranton
03-29-2012, 05:20 PM
I haven't see that dude since the 90's...wasn't he the poor actor the substitute prop guy handed the improperly-packed dummy gun that fatally wounded Brandon Lee in The Crow in '94? I heard he was completely f***ed up by that...and who wouldn't be...

That was Michael Massey, who as far as I know has done some TV stuff like maybe "24" but hasn't been in any other cool movies that I can recall.

jhale667
03-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Michael Massey was the dude the Crow killed with needles in the hotel room. I'm talking about the T-bird character IIRC, the gang-leader. THAT was the dude who inadvertently fired the shot.

jhale667
03-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Ah, just looked it up on ImDB...dude's name is David Patrick Kelly, and he WAS the dude in the Warriors!

sadaist
03-29-2012, 06:20 PM
deleted due to me posting a stupid post ...

Seriously?

I better get started then. 8000 is gonna take some time.

sadaist
03-29-2012, 06:23 PM
While not the best actor in Hollywood, Kurt Russell IS Snake Plisskin.

Kurt isn't a great actor like David Lee Roth isn't a great singer. It doesn't matter. KURT IS THE MAN!!!

As stupid & silly as it was, I really liked 'Soldier'.

"I'M GOING TO KILL THEM ALL."

oops...almost forgot Big Trouble In Little China. HAHA! Epicly fun movie. Love Kurt.

Hardrock69
03-29-2012, 07:10 PM
I almost got into The Craft. DeMolay when I was 14. Found my acceptance certificate not long ago, after not seeing it since 1974. Never went after being a full time "adult" Mason.

You can seriously get ahead in life by being a Mason, but I hate wearing a suit and tie, and I know more about the real origins of Masons than many Masons anyway.

Ah well.

Yeah, back on track, to see Sam in that epic fight scene in "The Live" would be a hoot. All because foolboi does not like to be told to wear some shades, lol.

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Well it is kind of weird standing around with everyone in white gloves with aprons on. I still wear my masonic ring. It gets attention. There are advantages to wearing it. People who wouldn't give you the time of day see it and they want to talk to you.

Some of the best networkers I've ever seen were all masons. There are a lot of advantages being in. Another cool thing is it's international.

Seshmeister
03-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I can't think of a way of commenting on freemasonry without being insulting so I won't.

Terry
03-29-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm not a big fan of remakes and this Total Recall deal sounds like shit... I don't get how or why Hollywood has gotten in this rut of recycling everything.

I can only see it getting worse... even though the Cohen brothers did an excellent remake of True Grit. I see that as a precedent that has no end of trashing old classics. I was surprised anyone would even touch a great John Wayne classic... but the deed is done. I guess the only reason Hollywood hasn't tried to touch any of the Clint Eastwood classics is because he's still around and highly respected in the industry.

Give it a few years and I wouldn't be the least surprised of hearing of Di Niro & Pacino staring in Grumpy Old Godfathers...

Pacino was all too willing to sell whatever was left of his credibility for relative peanuts with his appearance in that Adam Sandler piece of shit Jack and Jill. DeNiro has been pumping out plenty of shit flicks in the last twenty years as well.

About the only thing DeNiro has signed onto that I'm kind of interested in seeing is a sequel to Midnight Run, but only if he can talk Grodin into appearing as well.

chefcraig
03-29-2012, 08:02 PM
I can't think of a way of commenting on freemasonry without being insulting so I won't.

Number One: "Tonight we are here to commemorate our glorious society's 1500th anniversary, and in honor of this momentous occasion ... we're having ribs! Welcome to the club, Number 493. You have become a member of the ancient and noble society of Stonecutters, who since ancient times have always endeavored to shatter the stone of ignorance and to bring forth the light of truth. Now, let's all get drunk and play Ping-Pong!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSpOjj4YD8c&feature=related

gbranton
03-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Michael Massey was the dude the Crow killed with needles in the hotel room. I'm talking about the T-bird character IIRC, the gang-leader. THAT was the dude who inadvertently fired the shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjn3WqsvE_Q

Zing!
03-29-2012, 09:14 PM
About the only thing DeNiro has signed onto that I'm kind of interested in seeing is a sequel to Midnight Run, but only if he can talk Grodin into appearing as well.

Ohhhh yeah! All DeNiro needs to do is call up Grodin and tell him I'll tell you what - if you don't cooperate, you're gonna suffer from fistophobia.

gbranton
03-29-2012, 09:42 PM
DeNiro has been pumping out plenty of shit flicks in the last twenty years as well.

Including THE shit flick to end all shit flicks, "The Adventure of Rocky and Bullwinkle". I saw a couple of minutes of this while flipping channels a few months ago and was horrified at how bad it was. I can't fucking believe this was ever made. I couldn't BELIEVE what I was seeing. It makes The Flintstones or The Beverly Hillbillies movies look like The fucking Godfather.

knuckleboner
03-30-2012, 01:07 AM
Total Recall was brilliant. Two great storylines (your memory and the Mars thing) blended into one great story. Not to mention Sharon Stone at her hottest, Arnold in his prime, fantastic villains in Ronny Cox and Michael Ironside and one of the most violent 2 hours in film history—Christ it even had a naked chick with three boobs! It’s a perfect movie!

agreed. 3 boobs can't be beat.

vandeleur
03-30-2012, 01:55 AM
Is 4 to many ?

vandeleur
03-30-2012, 01:58 AM
Well it is kind of weird standing around with everyone in white gloves with aprons on. I still wear my masonic ring. It gets attention. There are advantages to wearing it. People who wouldn't give you the time of day see it and they want to talk to you.

Some of the best networkers I've ever seen were all masons. There are a lot of advantages being in. Another cool thing is it's international.

Its different things to different people , I can honestly say I have never used it to network and have never taken it into consideration when I have interviewed people , saying that I can't remember meeting one who wasn't nearly 80 anyway lol

vandeleur
03-30-2012, 02:01 AM
Right back in track ... Midnight run awesome movie ..... One of the best "buddy movies " I could watch it all day

binnie
03-30-2012, 02:59 AM
Is all this remake shit part of a wider 'retro' vibe in modern culture (think about the revival of classic rock, tours in which bands play all of a classic record)?

I can't believe that there aren't talented writers out there - TV drama is flourishing. It just seems that Hollywood doesn't think that there's much money in originality.

I expect we'll see many films follwing 'The Artist' soon.......

vandeleur
03-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Is all this remake shit part of a wider 'retro' vibe in modern culture (think about the revival of classic rock, tours in which bands play all of a classic record)?

I can't believe that there aren't talented writers out there - TV drama is flourishing. It just seems that Hollywood doesn't think that there's much money in originality.

I expect we'll see many films follwing 'The Artist' soon.......

Thank god this doesnt happen in music ..... imagine remakes of classic songs dumbed down for mass consumption .... shit good jobs those sort of programmes dont exist ;)

vandeleur
03-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Not sure if this is part of any of this except its movie related ...
The last couple of days I keep hearing comments and reviews of the new movie wrath of othe titans ......Dont know if its an english accent thing but it sure sounds like ROTH OF THE TITANS ...makes me smile every time i hear it :biggrin:

binnie
03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Thank god this doesnt happen in music ..... imagine remakes of classic songs dumbed down for mass consumption .... shit good jobs those sort of programmes dont exist ;)

It does happen in music to some extent. Bands don't clone songs, but they clone sounds. How many Led Zep clone bands have there been? Too many.

jhale667
03-30-2012, 02:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjn3WqsvE_Q

Wow, learn something new every day - I'd always heard the accident happened when they were shooting the opening scene (which was reportedly one of the last shot, the movie was 90% done) in Shelly's apartment, when Eric Draven is shot, after being stabbed, and thrown out the window...I'd heard it was where Tin-Tin and Funboy picked Draven up and T-Bird shot him in the chest at close range...that was supposedly the reason they had to superimpose Lee's face on another actor in the freefall scene.

I'm surprised Massey only took a year off. I'd be permanently FUBAR. :(

gbranton
03-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Wow, learn something new every day - I'd always heard the accident happened when they were shooting the opening scene (which was reportedly one of the last shot, the movie was 90% done) in Shelly's apartment, when Eric Draven is shot, after being stabbed, and thrown out the window...I'd heard it was where Tin-Tin and Funboy picked Draven up and T-Bird shot him in the chest at close range...that was supposedly the reason they had to superimpose Lee's face on another actor in the freefall scene.

I'm surprised Massey only took a year off. I'd be permanently FUBAR. :(

I think I would be greatly affected by that as well and it probably has stuck with him, he looks a little on the worse for wear side to me.

I think after the accident the script got changed up a bit, as there were still a couple of scenes to be shot, so they ended up chaning up some of the shots.

jhale667
03-30-2012, 03:09 PM
I think I would be greatly affected by that as well and it probably has stuck with him, he looks a little on the worse for wear side to me.

I think after the accident the script got changed up a bit, as there were still a couple of scenes to be shot, so they ended up chaning up some of the shots.

It did...they completlely eliminated one character, "The Skull Cowboy" - which was Draven's spirit guide, and taught him the ropes of being undead. They decided after Lee's death it would have been too morbid to basically have a talking decaying cowboy corpse following him around the whole movie (kind of dumb since it worked so well in "An American Werewolf in London"). The late Stan Winston considered the make-up job he did one of his crowning achievements, and it got left on the cutting room floor. :doh: There's a couple of clips of him on YouTube, the best being one of him warning Draven not to go into the church to rescue the little girl - but not a lot that's substantial, unfortunately. They also had to shoot a few scenes with a body double - the ones I know about being the scene where he first goes back to his old place and finds the mask that inspires his Crow makeup, that's the double with his back to the camera (according to a mini-documentary I saw years ago) the freefall scene, and the shot of Eric and Shelly in the field in happier times...who knows what else. A couple of shots are pretty obviously superimposed with Lee's face because CGI still sucked in 1994. That movie was still bad-ass I thought despite everything that went wrong with it...I can still watch it today, unlike the crappy sequels!

gbranton
03-30-2012, 03:26 PM
It did...they completlely eliminated one character, "The Skull Cowboy" - which was Draven's spirit guide, and taught him the ropes of being undead. They decided after Lee's death it would have been too morbid to basically have a talking decaying cowboy corpse following him around the whole movie (kind of dumb since it worked so well in "An American Werewolf in London"). The late Stan Winston considered the make-up job he did one of his crowning achievements, and it got left on the cutting room floor. :doh:

I would like to see the movie with that character in place, it sounds like something that would have added a lot to the film.

Nickdfresh
03-30-2012, 05:35 PM
It's amazing what a creative cesspool, resulting from an incestuous circle-jerk, Hollywood has become....

binnie
03-30-2012, 06:37 PM
There are still some great movies coming out (in Hollywood and elsewhere). It seems that where they're struggling is in action/sci-fi films/horror

Drama and thriller are flourishing in many respects....

Hardrock69
03-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Ok so my MOM of all people clued me into something just now.

The Dark Shadows remake appears to be a comedy. Just heard Alice Cooper on TV at her house, performing No More Mr. Nice Guy, and I asked her what the hell was on TV....she said that in the commercial, Barnabas Collins (the vampire) had never seen a TV before ane was tripping out on it......and was watching Alice Cooper on TV, lol.

IF it is a comedy, it might be a nice switch, and I might see it. I just did not want to see a fucking remake of the dramatic version, as that would have been a load of shit.

Zing!
03-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Yes - Tim Burton is one of the last of a dying breed who can still bring something original to the table (in between his Hollyweird paycheck duds like Planet of the Apes). But on average, Burton has more hits than misses. Not too many of his flicks that I haven't enjoyed - looking forward to his remake of his own film: Frankenweenie!

Terry
03-31-2012, 08:32 PM
It's amazing what a creative cesspool, resulting from an incestuous circle-jerk, Hollywood has become....

I dunno if it's just a reflection of an overall dumbing-down of American pop culture tastes, or just pandering to the mindsets of teenage girls, but it is honestly tough for me to become enthused enough at what is playing at the local multiplex to even bother seeing a movie in the theaters anymore.

Far as mainstream flicks go, it doesn't appear there are many movies being made for adults anymore, or at least adults with an IQ of over 90.

Hardrock69
04-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I just saw a TV commercial for the new Total Recall, and I have decided I REALLY want to see it. This version is much more "serious", the FX look kickass and overall it looks like the original on steroids. No release date given......just "summer".

Seshmeister
04-02-2012, 05:33 AM
There are still some great movies coming out (in Hollywood and elsewhere).

There were a hell of a lot more during the 1970s.

There are far far too many crappy blockbusters for teenagers designed by committee. They have come up with a formula for event movies whereby if they spend enough on marketing it doesn't matter a fuck how bad the movie is, it will still make money because they don't rely on word of mouth.

This is why they will happily put huge spoilers in the trailers even showing scenes from the end of the film, they don't give a fuck about anything apart from getting people into the cinemas in the first week.

binnie
04-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Like I said, the issue is action/horror/comedy where the quality is being dumbed down.

Elsewhere we still get some very, very good cinema.

vandeleur
04-02-2012, 08:26 AM
can you remember those shitty singles in the 80's that were mash ups, entire collections of a bands songs and they were just the best bits or at least the bits people remember , thats what modern hollywood is like ... get a shit load of movies that worked , cut them into memorable bits put the bits in a brown bag , shake and start taking the scenes out in random order to form a movie......

vandeleur
04-02-2012, 08:36 AM
saying all of the above a saw a trailer for that new comedy ted and thought it looked canny

vandeleur
04-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Thinking back to the Original total recall ... Paul Verhoeven made that , robocop and starship troopers all big budget , sci fi blockbusters all bloody action and adventure a bit tongue in cheek but with a message and lots of social commentary .... It's a pity he ain't still making those sort of movies

Seshmeister
04-03-2012, 09:56 AM
I wonder how many people who saw Starship Troopers realised it was a parody?

Seshmeister
04-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Like I said, the issue is action/horror/comedy where the quality is being dumbed down.

Elsewhere we still get some very, very good cinema.

Hollywood does very little that isn't action/horror/comedy.

vandeleur
04-03-2012, 10:06 AM
I wonder how many people who saw Starship Troopers realised it was a parody?

A scarey ammount .. Considering it spoons it on at some points..... Probably the same ammount of people who didnt get robocop .

binnie
04-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Hollywood does very little that isn't action/horror/comedy.

Drama? Romance? Thriller?

I am in pedant's corner tonight............:D