PDA

View Full Version : Laid off....again!!!

BITEYOASS
03-27-2012, 08:25 PM
WHAT THE FUCK GODAMNIT SON OF A BITCH?!?! :pullinghair:

There, I let that out. Now I have to look for work again, relax and then read a sci-fi novel while I listen to 2112.

Sensible Shoes
03-27-2012, 09:37 PM
God I'm sorry. Just collect the unemployment and try not to stress too much.

fryingdutchman
03-28-2012, 07:06 AM
Damn dude...sorry to hear that.

Good luck, you'll land on your feet.

Zing!
03-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Good luck, you'll land on your feet.

"...if he don't land on his seat! This beats workin' baby!"

Sorry - couldn't resist. Listen to Shoes - grab some unemployment and hang loose until things turn around. We're rootin' for ya BYO!

ELVIS
03-28-2012, 09:48 AM
FUCK working for someone...

kwame k
03-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Hang in there, bro!

Things are gonna get better.

sadaist
03-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Man that sucks. I know from myself & right NOW!

Anyways, dude...try to do a couple things that you never get to do. Go to driving range, go fishing, shooting range.....something. So that once you do start working you don't think "fuck...I was off work & didn't do shit with my time but post at RothArmy".

Times have changed a lot since the 90's. But what I used to do is send out 100 resumes. No more, no less. I would look through the phone book for ANY local company that sounded good size. I also sent to every place where I'd love to work. radio station, TV station, stadium, Padres team, Chargers team, etc. Just randomly blanket the city with my resume.

I did this 3 different times when out of work. Every time I got at least 5-7 calls, 2-4 interviews, and 1 job. Found a great one in a field I had never thought of. Insurance. Once I got in & started working I loved it.

So ya never know man. Just try to do a few online resumes every night and try to do stuff you like during the day. Something will pop up. And if it doesn't? World is ending at the end of the year anyways. Fuck it.

ELVIS
03-28-2012, 11:46 AM
That's cool positive advice...

:elvis:

vandeleur
03-28-2012, 11:51 AM
fingers crossed for you man ...

Nitro Express
03-28-2012, 09:57 PM
I always found being involved in community things was good for getting job contacts. Usually if you are a hard worker and show people you have a brain, are reliable, and can organize the word gets out. You just need some references. I always got my jobs from networking and contacts. As long as you have a pool of people who know what you are about and can vouch for you, getting a job is a lot easier.

IceCreamBlondie
03-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Ditto what everyone here said.

Hang in there and I wish you the best....

Hardrock69
03-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Amen.

I may have an interview soon. Applied for a job working for a large corporation. I have a ton of experience in the aircraft biz (building airplanes) and had a pre-screen phone interview yesterday that I aced.
If I do not get the job I applied for (engineer's aide), I bet they will want to hire me for some other job at their place of business as I have a lot of experience.

I want this job though. Pay is kickass, with lotsa kickass corporate benefits.

Hope you get something going man. I have been on unemployment for 6 months, and I have to start working NOW.

But all the advice above is great advice.

Good luck!

Nitro Express
03-29-2012, 02:33 AM
Even if you have a job get involved in something in the community. I've always done this. Community projects are always looking for organizational people and managers. I actually worked with the wife of one of the richest men in the country working on one museum project. You would be amazed the caliber of people you can get to know just by volunteering for something and being competent. People you would never have access to before. These people get to know you, they see you are competent and see your skills. Keep in touch. When the time comes that you are job hunting again man do you have some great contacts! It's way better than cold calling and sending resumes out. Also, Never be afraid to ask assuming they won't be interested. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

BITEYOASS
03-29-2012, 06:25 AM
There's always the re-enlistment option. Or I could just join some aviation mercenary outfit, but most of the time they just use Russian helicopters.