PDA

View Full Version : Rock and Roll High School on Epix Drive in

shortykb
04-02-2012, 04:54 AM
Epix Drive In showed Rock and Roll High School over the past weekend and several times in the last month or so.

This was a great movie from back in the day (circra 1980). If you don't remember the story it was about a high school where everyone loved the Ramones and about the principal banning rock music.

In watching it it serves as a reminder when music was actually sung and played instead of autotune and signing over someone else's record. Actually I was never a fan of the Ramones but enjoy the songs in the movie. Stars several people from the time such as Vince Van Patten, PJ Soles, Clint Howard, etc.

On Dish Network it is Channel 292.

Unchainme
04-02-2012, 12:17 PM
best story from that movie is this:

Originally, Todd Rundgren was to star as the musical act, but both sides could not come to an agreement. Next, Cheap Trick was contacted, but a similar situation happened. After that, talks were conducted with Warner Bros. Records, where Allan Arkush had a connection, to decide on which band they should use in the film. The first suggestion was Devo, but Arkush decided that they had too much of their own concept. Another band considered for the movie was Van Halen, but Warner execs warned Arkush that they were raucous and would be difficult to handle. Finally, an exec name-dropped the Ramones, who recorded for Sire Records, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Records. Arkush, being a huge fan of the band, agreed. To this day, Rundgren regrets passing up the role he was offered.

FORD
04-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't know if I can picture Van Halen in that movie, but the results would have been similar: Great sound track, and the singer is the only one doing any acting........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_lQpnHDhQ

Mr. Vengeance
04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
It's a classic movie. Originally is was written as something called "Disco High" or something, and the producers were told that disco was dead. They then went about finding a rock band.

First time I saw it was on the late movie on CFCF-12 in Montreal. I loved the Ramones so it was so cool! My family had one of the early VCRs so I taped it and my friends and I would watch it repeatedly. The entire Clint Howard, Eaglebauer Enterprizes "office in the bathroom" stuff cracked me the fuck up!

Nitro Express
04-02-2012, 11:03 PM
It's a goofy movie but I always liked it. I think the concert bit was filmed at The Roxy. The scene where the dude drops his cocaine and starts snorting it off the floor and everyone trips over him always cracks me up.

The pizza bit cracks me up too. The way Joey says "Rock and Roll High School". The look on Dee Dee's face. Johnny throwing pizza and "Say hi to Vince for us." LOL!

Mr. Vengeance
04-03-2012, 06:47 PM
I always loved it when he goes, "Rock n Roll High School!!!???"

How about Marky delivering the line, "That was a good one, Mr. McGree.." and punching him on the shoulder?

"If we like them, we'll come pay you and Mr. McGluub a visit..."- Joey

Coyote
01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
It's a fun movie... Too bad VH wasn't included...