PDA

View Full Version : Who Knows Doodley-Squat About Subwoofers?

Kristy
04-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I've had a Polk Audio for a few years now and while it is okay in terms of performance like an old boyfriend, I'm looking to upgrade. The ones I am looking at in terms of how I liked how the sounded, looked and features are from companies I never heard of.

One is NHT. The model is their B 12 D. 12" driver. The quality, build, warranty seem okay and it can rattle your chest but it may be too much for my shitty apartment. Can you say "eviction notice"? I'm sure Lounge can.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/images/NHTB12D_34.jpg

The other is by B&W ASW 610 10" driver.

http://thehifisite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/BW-ASW610.jpg

So, anyone know anything about these two manufacturers?

ELVIS
04-03-2012, 12:22 PM
NHT is made in China...

B&W is made in England and are very nice and have a good resale value...

:elvis:

Kristy
04-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks. What isn't made in China these days? The NHT did have a big sound and since music is on like what, 24/7 around here I wanted something with more kick than this Polk. I dunno, I may save up my marbles for I was seriously considering this by Definitive Technology - although a wee bit out of my price range:*

"Supercube 6000" It's fucking awesome! Seems it was definitely made for music in mind and you can run it wireless if you want to spend the extra $100 on a wireless kit.
http://www.hideflifestyle.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/c/sc6000_halfgrille_pop.jpg

*Okay, it is out of my price range.

ZahZoo
04-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Tough call for the apartment no eviction angle.

What I've found to be the most important aspect of subs is whether they are passive or active. In simple terms passive is just a box and a speaker... in order to get it to drive you have to pump some serious power to it. The bigger the driver the more power it needs to woof... This may not be practical in an apartment or small house... Most receivers don't allow you that much adjustability to pump the sub and avoid ear splitting volumes from the center/side channels.

I tend to focus on the active subs with an amp built into it. For an apartment anything 25W or below should be more than enough to rattle the foundation. Be sure it allows you to adjust the sub level on the unit itself... then you can dial in how much punch and boom you get as it will vary based on the input device.

ELVIS
04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
One thing important to remember about being made in China is the quality control on electronic parts is scetchy at best...

The NHT probably sounds great until it stops working...

ELVIS
04-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Another tip...

When you try out the subs, listen with your eyes closed and turn around...

You should not be able to identify where the bass is coming from...

Sub bass frequencies are omnidirectional and you should only feel the bass from a proper cabinet...

Kristy
04-03-2012, 12:54 PM
I tend to focus on the active subs with an amp built into it. For an apartment anything 25W or below should be more than enough to rattle the foundation. Be sure it allows you to adjust the sub level on the unit itself... then you can dial in how much punch and boom you get as it will vary based on the input device.

The Polk I have is good for that with a 10" driver and a built-in 50W amp. Problem is it's a little bit weak when it comes to music. Plus my roommate graduates in May and I'll be looking for another place to live so an upgrade would be nice. I don't know, I thought buying a subwoofer would be easy but there are too many out there with too many applications.

ELVIS
04-03-2012, 01:11 PM
You need headroom with a sub...

200 watts or more...

That doesn't mean you need to crank it all the time and get evicted...

But it's nice to have...

Nitro Express
04-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Tough call for the apartment no eviction angle.

What I've found to be the most important aspect of subs is whether they are passive or active. In simple terms passive is just a box and a speaker... in order to get it to drive you have to pump some serious power to it. The bigger the driver the more power it needs to woof... This may not be practical in an apartment or small house... Most receivers don't allow you that much adjustability to pump the sub and avoid ear splitting volumes from the center/side channels.

I'm old school drive the big ported sub with a big power amp.

Kristy
04-03-2012, 11:09 PM
That sounded kind of homosexual, dude.

Nitro Express
04-03-2012, 11:11 PM
You need headroom with a sub...

200 watts or more...

That doesn't mean you need to crank it all the time and get evicted...

But it's nice to have...

I always like twice the wattage of what I use at peak. I also like big down firing subs in a ported enclosure.

Nitro Express
04-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Sound systems are like televisions. You buy the size that fits the room. Nothing is worse than a huge screen in a small room. It's all relative. A small system can sound great in a small room.

Nitro Express
04-03-2012, 11:17 PM
That sounded kind of homosexual, dude.

Only if you play Sammy Hagar through it.

Nitro Express
04-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks. What isn't made in China these days? The NHT did have a big sound and since music is on like what, 24/7 around here I wanted something with more kick than this Polk. I dunno, I may save up my marbles for I was seriously considering this by Definitive Technology - although a wee bit out of my price range:*

"Supercube 6000" It's fucking awesome! Seems it was definitely made for music in mind and you can run it wireless if you want to spend the extra $100 on a wireless kit.
http://www.hideflifestyle.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/c/sc6000_halfgrille_pop.jpg

*Okay, it is out of my price range.

It's a good looking box.

ODShowtime
04-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Who cares? You're just gonna listen to shitty music with it anyway.

Kristy
04-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Who cares? You're just gonna listen to shitty music with it anyway.

Like Led Zeppelin? I seriously doubt it.