PDA

View Full Version : FX series 'Justified'

Mr Walker
04-04-2012, 08:46 AM
I always dig hearing about Van Halen/Roth drops in pop culture... especially when it comes from something I like.

Wish I could just post a video clip but I haven't found one yet... but anyway, there was a Van Halen reference (culled from the VH reference at the end of 'Fast Times At Ridgemont High') during a pivotal scene of the critically acclaimed Emmy award winning FX series 'Justified'.

One of the main plots during the season is a hunt for 3.2 million dollars that was left behind when a main character committed suicide at the end of last season... kind like 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World' with Oxycontin, bourbon, hookers, gangsters, US Marshals... yadda, yadda, yadda.

So when Marshal Givens (the kick ass Timothy Olyphant) realizes the money is with a preteen girl that he's taken a shine to (after saving her from sex offenders and murders), rather than seize the money he agrees to turn a blind eye from it but warns her that he doesn't want to see a new Lexus (?) in her drive way nor that she's 'hired Van Halen to play her birthday party'. And in one of the best lines of the season the chick deadpans "Marshal, do I strike you in any way as a Van Halen fan?"

Great stuff!

Same episode had another great scene where the main villain was chained up in a trailer with two hillbillie hookers doing Oxy shotguns through a real shotgun while REO Speedwagon's 'I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore' plays in the background... looks much better than it sounds.

chefcraig
04-04-2012, 09:21 AM
That is such a great show. If you are into it and have not already done so, check out Elmore Leonard's novels Pronto (1993), Riding the Rap (1995) and Raylan (2012), on which the show is based upon. Seriously, this is the definition of "Must-See TV."

Mr Walker
04-04-2012, 01:02 PM
http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/shotgun.gif

Mr Walker
04-04-2012, 01:04 PM
I'll try and find (or create) a youtube clip later...

http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/hairband.gif

TJMKID
04-04-2012, 01:17 PM
I'll try and find (or create) a youtube clip later...

http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/hairband.gif

Why hasn't any studio done a remake of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"? That is one of the most classic teen sex comedies of all time. Maybe a 30th high school reunion where Jeff Spicoli became an internet millionaire and actually does hire Van Halen to play?

Make it happen, you Hollywood dipshits!

DONNIEP
04-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Why hasn't any studio done a remake of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"? That is one of the most classic teen sex comedies of all time. Maybe a 30th high school reunion where Jeff Spicoli became an internet millionaire and actually does hire Van Halen to play?

Make it happen, you Hollywood dipshits!

I don't know if they could top this...

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/DONNIEP5150/cwg_2.jpg

High Life Man
04-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Such an incredibly great show. They do a great job of getting b-list actors into meaty roles. Bubba Gump anyone?

Mr Walker
04-04-2012, 10:47 PM
This wasn't so hard to do...

DONNIEP
04-04-2012, 11:01 PM
This wasn't so hard to do...

The video says Fox blocked it "on copyright grounds"....Bastards!!! :gulp:

Mr Walker
04-04-2012, 11:05 PM
The video says Fox blocked it "on copyright grounds"....Bastards!!! :gulp:

Are you serious?

DONNIEP
04-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Are you serious?

Dude, I just hit it again and I get the same thing. WTF? If you chopped and posted it on youtube, then damn, those SOBs are FAST!!!

Mr Walker
04-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Dude, I just hit it again and I get the same thing. WTF? If you chopped and posted it on youtube, then damn, those SOBs are FAST!!!

Fuck... they did... I was still able to see it here on my computer, but just checked my g-mail and saw that they hit me.
Oh well!

Your video "justifieds03e12VH.00.avi", may have content that is owned or licensed by FOX. As a result, the video has been blocked on YouTube. .

This claim is penalizing your account status. Visit your Copyright Notices page for more details on the policy applied to your video.

Sincerely,
- The YouTube Team

DONNIEP
04-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Fuck... they did... I was still able to see it here on my computer, but just checked my g-mail and saw that they hit me.
Oh well!

Your video "justifieds03e12VH.00.avi", may have content that is owned or licensed by FOX. As a result, the video has been blocked on YouTube. .

This claim is penalizing your account status. Visit your Copyright Notices page for more details on the policy applied to your video.

Sincerely,
- The YouTube Team

Fuck!!! That was fast! What a bunch of crap - they're "penalizing your account status"....what ever. Hey, at least you gave it a shot. :gulp:

Mr Walker
04-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Fuck!!! That was fast! What a bunch of crap - they're "penalizing your account status"....what ever. Hey, at least you gave it a shot. :gulp:

I don't know what that is supposed to mean. I figured a little clip was no big deal. I'm just curious how they found it... the FX watermark? the justified word in the file name? I didn't tag it or anything like that. I was gonna rename it and try to crop out the FX and try again but figured it wasn't worth the hassle... people can watch the show if they want to see it.

DONNIEP
04-04-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't know what that is supposed to mean. I figured a little clip was no big deal. I'm just curious how they found it... the FX watermark? the justified word in the file name? I didn't tag it or anything like that. I was gonna rename it and try to crop out the FX and try again but figured it wasn't worth the hassle... people can watch the show if they want to see it.

It's a conspiracy I say!!! Ford could probably tell you who's behind it all :biggrin:

Zing!
04-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Love the pop-culture Van Halen name drops, particularly in contemporary, well-produced shows (and a Kardashian sporting a classic VH t-shirt does not count)... Fast Times is about the greatest of all time.

Mr Walker
03-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Last night's episode had a great scene that culminated with Timothy Olyphant's lead character telling Patton Oswalt's character (who had just been beaten within an inch of his life) to 'Stay Frosty'.

Actually, all of the scenes in last night's episode were great.

DLR Bridge
03-20-2013, 08:50 AM
That's pretty cool. I didn't see this thread a year ago.

I also like TJMKID's 30th Fast Times High School reunion idea, too. Too bad Mr. Hand and the science teacher wouldn't be around if it happened.

chefcraig
03-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Last night's episode had a great scene that culminated with Timothy Olyphant's lead character telling Patton Oswalt's character (who had just been beaten within an inch of his life) to 'Stay Frosty'.

Actually, all of the scenes in last night's episode were great.

That was an interesting episode. Funny how Boyd (Walton Coggins) gets belted in the face three times while tied to a chair, loses a tooth, yet still winds up with the best set of teeth on tv, let alone Kentucky. Constable Bob (Oswalt), not so much, yet I instantly feel compassion for anyone on the planet still driving a fucking AMC Gremlin.

DLR Bridge
03-20-2013, 05:12 PM
That science teacher would be Mr. Vargas....and he just switched to Sanka so...have a heart.

Vargas - "uh, you're not in my class."

Spicoli - "I am today."

chefcraig
01-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Anyone else digging into the new season? Things (mostly Boyd's issues) are moving at a fairly fast clip, and quite frankly, the show has never been as laugh out loud funny one moment and horrifying the next as it is now. And who knew Boyd was a former Nazi? As for Raylan, you simply have to admire a guy that murders a swimming pool, arrests a rich bastard, steals his fine car, then moves into the guy's house (sampling same rich guy's liquor cabinet) simply for the hell of it. Plus, it's a great place to bang a hot blond probation officer.

Kristy
01-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Good soundtrack, ghey as shit show.

FORD
01-27-2014, 12:39 PM
And who knew Boyd was a former Nazi?

You must have missed the part where he blew up the black church with a rocket launcher. Or when Raylan gave the "blessing" before the meal at Boyd's camp when he was trying to be a fundagelical preacher.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO1fpu8vblc

The sitcom writers in Hollywood and NewYork might as well give up, because the funniest fucking show on TV is "Justified". No contest.

chefcraig
01-27-2014, 01:45 PM
I was referring not to Boyd's behavior, but the exposure of that huge swastika on his left arm in last week's show pretty much obliterated all doubt.

ZahZoo
01-28-2014, 07:21 AM
The Season is off to a good start...

78/84 guy
01-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Great show. Bought the first 4 seasons on dvd for Christmas. Through 3 of them. Not much to do in this fucking 2 month deeeeeeep freeze ! Recording 5. Didn't read the posts. No teasers for me. Except Tommy Bolin. Lot's of fun. If you like dark humor and people getting shot. Tune in !

High Life Man
01-29-2014, 03:04 AM
Amy Smart - HUFF!

ZahZoo
01-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Another great episode last nite... Enjoyed the scene where that short-shit prison guard got a major beat down from that tall blonde female guard. Lot of great story lines playing out in this series!!

FORD
01-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Bummer that they killed off Dewey..... that fucking imbecile provided some great comedy. :(

ZahZoo
01-27-2015, 04:41 PM
It's the final season... I expect the body count to stack up.

chefcraig
01-28-2015, 02:32 AM
Dig it though. And Ava never looked so good...and what is with that guy that wishes to buy up all the land one way or another, threatening that old couple? Peacock, indeed.

ZahZoo
01-28-2015, 07:42 AM
It has something to do with the pizza place they bought and it having previously been a bank... or at least that's the clue I came away with last nite.

That new character Chu Chu is entertaining...

VetteLS5
01-28-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm guessing somebody thinks there's $ buried in a lot of those locations. Remember that guy from Deadwood? He was the due who got off killing hookers.

ZahZoo
01-29-2015, 03:54 PM
That same actor had 2 roles in Deadwood... he was the cunt who killed Wild Bill Hickok in season 1. Then returned as a front-man for George Hearst and a taste for murdering whores which led to him hangin himself... miserable cocksucker!!

VetteLS5
01-30-2015, 02:22 PM
That same actor had 2 roles in Deadwood... he was the cunt who killed Wild Bill Hickok in season 1. Then returned as a front-man for George Hearst and a taste for murdering whores which led to him hangin himself... miserable cocksucker!!

Shit, I forgot about that. Deadwood was the best... just the most amazing dialogue. Only thing that comes close now in that regard is Newsroom (although Justified has some moments).

Where's Tim Olyphant going to play a law enforcement officer next?

ZahZoo
01-31-2015, 09:43 AM
Irritates me that some of the best written shows I love only make it barely 3 seasons and die prematurely... Deadwood, Newsroom and Justified...

FORD
01-31-2015, 05:17 PM
I never saw Deadwood, but it really sucks to be losing The Newsroom and Justified in the same year.

How many seasons was Deadwood? Might try to catch up on that one next summer, when there ain't shit on TV.

High Life Man
02-02-2015, 12:48 AM

There's still talk that there might be a movie or two to wrap things up. It really is a great show.

FORD
02-02-2015, 12:25 PM
3 seasons at 12 episodes each? Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem. I could probably knock that out in one rainy weekend.

VetteLS5
02-02-2015, 08:03 PM
I never saw Deadwood, but it really sucks to be losing The Newsroom and Justified in the same year.

How many seasons was Deadwood? Might try to catch up on that one next summer, when there ain't shit on TV.

I'm telling you, Deadwood will knock your socks off. I was pretty addicted to The Sopranos when it came on HBO, but I think Deadwood is the only show I ever really "craved". It is so brutally funny as fuck and the dialogue is amazing. It's damn near perfect.

I would love to see an outtakes reel.

ZahZoo
02-03-2015, 11:31 AM
The writing on that show was amazing!! The juxtaposition of how they blended Victorian societal language and culture with the raw, savage reality of gold camps in the old west was impressive... The acting and character roles were dead on perfect!!

FORD
01-16-2022, 03:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obpap1-duzU

ZahZoo
01-17-2022, 09:33 AM
Cool... sounds like a good follow-on!