PDA

View Full Version : It was 30 years ago today.....

Va Beach VH Fan
04-14-2012, 03:10 PM

Diver Down is released. Diver Down spent 65 weeks on the charts, peaking at #3 on U.S. charts (entering on 5/08/82) and at # 36 on U.K. charts (entering on 5/01/82). 4 million copies have been sold in the U.S. The album was remastered and rereleased on 9/19/00. It's safe to say this is easily the band's least favorite album. Of the 12 songs, five are cover tunes. Though the album sold well and led to a large tour, the band seemingly felt that none of the songs on it were worthy of an appearance on Best of Volume 1. The entire LP was recorded in 12 days at Amigo Studios (now known as Warner Brothers Recording Studios) at a cost of approximately $46,000. It was the first Van Halen album to sell 1 million copies before the tour. The album also helps the band set a record for most consecutive platinum-selling albums at Warner Brothers Records. The cover art, which is the international symbol to alert boats of a diver below the surface of the water, was chosen because the band had a message: though it may not be noticeable on the surface, there's something going on underneath. The live photo on the back of the album was taken when Van Halen opened for The Rolling Stones on 10/24/81 at the Tangerine Bowl in Orlando, FL. The number of cover tunes on this album was arguably the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, cementing Edward's desire to build his own studio.

NIN1211
04-14-2012, 03:54 PM

Diver Down is released. Diver Down spent 65 weeks on the charts, peaking at #3 on U.S. charts (entering on 5/08/82) and at # 36 on U.K. charts (entering on 5/01/82). 4 million copies have been sold in the U.S. The album was remastered and rereleased on 9/19/00. It's safe to say this is easily the band's least favorite album. Of the 12 songs, five are cover tunes. Though the album sold well and led to a large tour, the band seemingly felt that none of the songs on it were worthy of an appearance on Best of Volume 1. The entire LP was recorded in 12 days at Amigo Studios (now known as Warner Brothers Recording Studios) at a cost of approximately $46,000. It was the first Van Halen album to sell 1 million copies before the tour. The album also helps the band set a record for most consecutive platinum-selling albums at Warner Brothers Records. The cover art, which is the international symbol to alert boats of a diver below the surface of the water, was chosen because the band had a message: though it may not be noticeable on the surface, there's something going on underneath. The live photo on the back of the album was taken when Van Halen opened for The Rolling Stones on 10/24/81 at the Tangerine Bowl in Orlando, FL. The number of cover tunes on this album was arguably the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, cementing Edward's desire to build his own studio.

Was eleven years old....that album changed my life. Thanks Mom.

katina
04-14-2012, 05:16 PM
1982...living here, not having much information and access to live shows, Diver Down was pure joy for me. :rockit:

rocking ron
04-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Still remeber the reaction in some music-magazines at that time about DIVER DOWN, : way to sotf and poppy !!

Oh man, still remember how much I loved the song 'PRETTY WOMAN", even without seeing the video!!!

time flies, "Where have all the good times gone"!!!

Nitro Express
04-14-2012, 05:38 PM
We had to do a skit up at scout camp. We were listening to Diver Down on the way up there. We sung Happy Trails at the end of the skit and actually nailed it pretty good.

hambon4lif
04-14-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm still not sure why everyone is so quick to shit on this album. Granted, compared to the other 5 albums it's pretty light, but I'd pit it against other bands best albums. It's cool, it's loose, and it has moments of greatness. "Dancing In The Street" is kind of a 2-headed beast...on one hand, I can do without it, but on the other hand it also has one of Ed's most badass and memorable solos.
The only real downer IMO is that up until Fair Warning, they were sort of a cult band...they belonged to us. When Diver Down came out with its radio-friendly hit singles, all of a sudden your dorky neighbors also became aware of them and started digging them too.

....Secrets, Little Guitars, The Full fuckin' Bug....like I said, moments of greatness. And the tour was fuckin' KILLER!!

Not their best album, but it is part of the 6-pack. Even with all of its cover songs, it was still Van Halen taking it to the next level.
The back cover shot of them onstage in front of that mass of humanity is still an awesome breathtaking picture.
The "Hide Your Sheep" tour....the US Festival....good memories.

Happy 30th Diver Down!!:beers8:

78/84 guy
04-14-2012, 06:31 PM
It's a great album. But I always think of what Ed say's about it, after Fair Warning he wanted the band to go in that direction, but Dave & Ted were looking for hits. I wonder what it would have had on it if Ed got his way ?? Some of the old demo's might have ended up on that album instead of the on we just got. Big Bad Bill still is awesome though !! The band should try and do a version of it on this tour with their dads part recorded as tribute to him. Someone else brought that up and what a cool idea if they tried it. Even with the stuff they are dusting off this tour seems a little safe to me. Not alot of banter from Dave and the shows are too short.

hambon4lif
04-14-2012, 08:36 PM
:thumb:

Zing!
04-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Sure, it's my least favorite from the 6-pack - but you gotta love the 'in the moment' vibe of this album. A total time capsule of the early 80's, this album stands the test of time, even with the cover tunes. This album was pure "Van Halen-ized" music - covers or not. Love it!

ThatArtGuy
04-14-2012, 11:28 PM
On this day, I turned 8. Was a VH fan then too. Happy birthday to us! :)

hambon4lif
04-15-2012, 12:12 AM
I knew the entire album clocked in at about a half an hour or so, but I had no idea that you could do this....

NO MUFF TOO TOUGH, AND WE DIVE 'TIL FIVE!!!

DIVER DOWN FOR EVERYBODY!!

HAPPY 30th!!

SunisinuS
04-15-2012, 05:57 AM
Has my favorite Van Halen song of all time on it.

ashstralia
04-15-2012, 06:11 AM
mine too. grate album.

minkahed
04-15-2012, 10:39 PM
I gotta be honest. my introduction to Van Halen was first thru "Diver Down".

At the time, I just couldn't stand Dave's voice, (I was 10 years old), but I loved the music, the vibe was just like "Holy Shit", when I heard "The Full Bug" and "Hang 'em High". I had to learn how to play guitar.

As time passed, Dave's voice grew on me, then I finally "got it", the persona, the charisma, that fuckin' scream was just killer, it all started to gell for me and by the time I knew it, I was hooked.

I then realized that they had other, earlier offerings, I bought "Van Halen" on Lp and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. it changed my life, not only personally, but musically, how I felt about music and played it with such intensity, what an experience.

I wore those 2 albums out until they're were no more grooves in the records ...

By the summer of '84, Van Halen were my Beatles, but in the spring of '86, my Van Halen, the greatest rock band to walk the earth had turned into ABBA and I almost had cardiac arrest.

Back to "Diver Down", it's really not a bad album at all and "Secrets", "Little Guitars", "Big Bad Bill", and that killer cover of "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" still remain as some of my favs.

Samuel Roy, on his best day, could never replicate the magic Eddie, Dave, Michael and Alex made on those first 6 records.

VAiN
04-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Diver Down contains some of the best VH guitar and drum tones, IMO. I love how warm it sounds.

VHscraps
04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
I bought it this very day 30 years ago in goddam Hamilton, Scotland, in a record shop where I once spied Brian Connolly of The Sweet.

Easy to recall with precision 'cos it was as a birthday gift for my little brother (he's now about to turn 45, alas).

I purchased it, of course, because I had to buy him a gift, but also because I was unemployed and broke and had to hear the new VH. Needless to say, I have that very album - worn, torn and scratched - to this day.

Always loved it, and thought it really separated VH from all the other bands they used to get put together worh back in those days. Sure you could look at it as half cover tunes, but who else would have the chutzpah to record Big Bad Bill?

If it was an album of rarities / outtakes / b-sides I'm sure people would've thought, 'sheesh, these guys'll do anything'.

It's a 'more Dave' album. And that, dear friends, can only be good.

JenniferM
04-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Let's see....I had just turned 14 when this came out. I bought my copy with saved up allowance money at the Capital mall in Olympia, Washington. I had all the albums to that point and had to have this one. I was not the least disappointed. I liked it being "different". Cool with me.
By the way, I got the first album in 1979 when I lived in Connecticut. I earned it by riding in a bikeathon that raised money for kids with Down's Syndrome. If you got over $35.00 in sponsor money, you got a free album from Caldor's. Of course, I chose this one. Been hearing it on the way to school on the bus forever and had own it!
Anyway, I still have all the original albums in the plastic covers that protect them from the ravages of time. Of course, all the jackets were ruined by taking them out and hanging them on my bedroom walls as posters................those were the days!!

JenniferM

Angel
04-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Oh boy, I had just gotten pregnant, and I lived in a city that had banned the band. My VH party days were already over when this came out

TJMKID
04-18-2012, 02:37 AM
Samuel Roy, on his best day, could never replicate the magic Eddie, Dave, Michael and Alex made on those first 6 records.

Please refer to him as Spamborita McPussy-Face ----- Samuel Roy sounds too dignified for a bitter, jealous scumbag.

:boink:

TJMKID
04-18-2012, 02:38 AM
Oh boy, I had just gotten pregnant, and I lived in a city that had banned the band. My VH party days were already over when this came out

What kind of city bans the Mighty Roth Halen? They should be nuked !!

TJMKID
04-18-2012, 02:41 AM
It's a 'more Dave' album. And that, dear friends, can only be good.

"More Dave" means more sex ---- more booze ---- more belligerent enthusiasm ---- and that is most definitely a good thing.

sadaist
04-18-2012, 03:35 AM
Oh man, still remember how much I loved the song 'PRETTY WOMAN", even without seeing the video!!!
!

I still am fucking amazed they used the Roy Orbison version in the movie with Julia Roberts. It didn't really fit in well and definitely should have been the VH version.

sadaist
04-18-2012, 03:37 AM
What kind of city bans the Mighty Roth Halen?

You know this one.....

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/north-america/mexico/cabo-san-lucas/map_of_cabo-san-lucas.jpg

rocking ron
04-18-2012, 04:23 PM
I've bought this one in Amsterdam at that time.....

Walkin' with that red/white album....across the red-light district......

pfff Where have all the good times gone....?!