PDA

View Full Version : ADKOT nuances

DLR Bridge
04-20-2012, 08:30 AM
The other day, I posted in the official You and Your Blues thread a comment on a 2 second part of the song that caught my ear. I liked how Wolf and Al hit a few notes/beats together just before the solo and it got me thinking, there needs to be a thread dedicated to the small things that go almost unnoticed, but play an integral part in the creation of the great songs we've been treated to. I'll start off with a few more...

• At the1:24mark of Beats Workin, Ed hits the Flange for a brief moment of vintage sweetness. Not that the whole song isn't sweet, but that part makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

• In Big River at the :33 mark "All my big ideas doooone" and :55 mark "that river belongs to meeeee", our guy is clearly layering a beautiful 3 part harmony all on his own. Madly underrated vocal abilities.

• The very final second of Bullethead, is that Ed screaming into his pick up? Can't say for sure, but cool sounding any how!

fourthcoming
04-20-2012, 08:41 AM
There's an old school Dave scream right before the solo in She's the Woman that's hard to hear. There are a ton of things going on in Honey Baby Sweety Doll......especially in the beginning. I can't quite make out exactly what Dave is saying but right before the song kicks in with drums bass and guitar you can hear Dave say Dot Com. Definitely have to use headphones for that one.

DLR Bridge
04-20-2012, 08:52 AM
There are a ton of things going on in Honey Baby Sweety Doll......especially in the beginning. I can't quite make out exactly what Dave is saying but right before the song kicks in with drums bass and guitar you can hear Dave say Dot Com. Definitely have to use headphones for that one.

Yeah, I love that stuff! Almost sounds like gibberish picked up from a Russian radio broadcast, or another world for that matter.

Zing!
04-20-2012, 09:29 AM
There are a ton of things going on in Honey Baby Sweety Doll......

After Russell barks, my kids think Dave is saying "Get outta here!" like the bark actually happened live in the studio.

DLR Bridge
04-20-2012, 09:39 AM
After Russell barks, my kids think Dave is saying "Get outta here!" like the bark actually happened live in the studio.

I thought I heard Dave mumble "good dog" somewhere in that area.

Angel
04-20-2012, 10:48 AM
I thought some of the stuff Dave says after the dog bark might have come from the video with the dogs...

jhale667
04-20-2012, 10:53 AM
I LOVE all the subtle things going on as subtext in these tunes!

:guitar:

Angel
04-20-2012, 12:55 PM
I LOVE all the subtle things going on as subtext in these tunes!

Couldn't agree more! One could write a fucking thesis on it.

One of my English classes last year, my phone went off while we were discussing the difference between lyrics and poetry. The prof said "I live my life like there's no tomorrow, all I've got, I had to steal...Roth is a lyricist, not a poet".

Not so with this one. I'd love to do a critical analysis of the entire album, but no way do I have the time. Every listen, I find more...

For example, "Beats Working, starting with my empathy"...I find myself comparing the 04 tour and the 07/8. We all know Ed was struggling, Spam kept the tour going and then whined about Ed's issues. Dave, not a fucking word. He demonstrated empathy, something Spammy needs to work on...

sadaist
04-20-2012, 02:17 PM
For example, "Beats Working, starting with my empathy"...I find myself comparing the 04 tour and the 07/8. We all know Ed was struggling, Spam kept the tour going and then whined about Ed's issues. Dave, not a fucking word. He demonstrated empathy, something Spammy needs to work on...

Because Sammy sees VH as his job. His cash train. His gravy.

Dave sees VH as a part of himself, brothers in arms, Eddie....beyond all the bs about royalties, percentages, etc.....is Daves friend.

It's the difference between....

"Get better Eddie so we can get back on tour"

vs

"Lets NOT tour so Eddie can get better"

Angel
04-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Exactly!!!

atomicpnk47
04-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Man, I wonder what this shit sounds like backwards :stoned-smiley:

katina
04-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Because Sammy sees VH as his job. His cash train. His gravy.

Dave sees VH as a part of himself, brothers in arms, Eddie....beyond all the bs about royalties, percentages, etc.....is Daves friend.

It's the difference between....

"Get better Eddie so we can get back on tour"

vs

"Lets NOT tour so Eddie can get better"

Great words, I totally agree.

chi-town324
04-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Dave, Ed and Al grew up together...Well from like 18 on up....big difference from people you meet and become friends with later in life

DLR Bridge
04-21-2012, 12:20 AM
For example, "Beats Working, starting with my empathy"...

I like your line, but isn't it, "Beats Workin, startin up all in my feet"? Either way, you made a great point about Spam.

Angel
04-21-2012, 01:04 AM
I like your line, but isn't it, "Beats Workin, startin up all in my feet"? Either way, you made a great point about Spam.

Pretty sure he wrote empathy in the lyrics...but I like yours!

SunisinuS
04-21-2012, 01:17 AM
I thought I heard Dave mumble "good dog" somewhere in that area.

He did...he says "Good Dog" over and over.

:horn:

DONNIEP
04-21-2012, 02:02 AM
My favorite subtle moment...Stay Frosty, at 3 minutes 29 seconds. If that doesn't hit you square between the eyes then you're not listening. :gulp:

fourthcoming
04-21-2012, 10:31 AM
That's about as subtle as being hit in the face by a train......kick ass scream. I don't care if the conspiracy theorists think it's an old scream added in or not.....sounds awesome.

DLR Bridge
04-21-2012, 12:23 PM
I'll admit, I originally thought that one sounded like the one from the end of the solo in On Fire. I've changed my mind on that one, but still a little suspect of some others peppered throughout.

I like in Stay Frosty at 3:19 the quick little "a yes uh" that leads into the last solo.

fourthcoming
04-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Agrees with everything DLR Bridge just said.

DLR Bridge
04-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Agrees with everything DLR Bridge just said.

In that case, let's meet for beers in the city some day! We'll be those annoying guys at the bar carrying on about the best band around!

So this is love
04-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Man, I wonder what this shit sounds like backwards :stoned-smiley:

You maybe on to something....keep me posted

VAiN
04-21-2012, 02:43 PM
I'd love to do a critical analysis of the entire album, but no way do I have the time.

And for that, I thank you.

Pretty sure he wrote empathy in the lyrics...

Pretty sure he didn't.

VAiN
04-21-2012, 02:45 PM
I like in Stay Frosty at 3:19 the quick little "a yes uh" that leads into the last solo.

It's 'giddyup there'..

Angel
04-22-2012, 10:21 AM
And for that, I thank you.

I analyze literature for pleasure, and to keep my brain active... These lyrics are rich in symbolism, metaphors, sub-text...a geeks delight!!! If I do ever sit down to do it, it's for me, not you....asshole.

Who the fuck peed in your corn flakes???

DLR Bridge
04-23-2012, 10:20 AM
During the manic guitar hook of the verse to As Is, Wolf rather randomly follows along or drops out all together. Adds to the spontaneous live feel of the tune. Once again, hats off to the Wolf!

VAiN
04-23-2012, 03:51 PM
If I do ever sit down to do it, it's for me, not you....

Promise? Good luck with that.

Angel
04-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Promise? Good luck with that.

Jesus fucking christ, what the hell turned you into the fucking piss on Angel band leader around here, you fucking asshole?

Hell, you probably don't even know what critical analysis of literature is for fucks sake!!! I bet you see the word critical and think oh no, she's going to pretend to be a music critic - that would be making an assumption now, wouldn't it?

Critical thinking is simply the "intellectually disciplined process of actively analyzing and evaluating information gathered from experience, observation, or communication as a guide to belief and action".

Dave is one smart mofo, and you only have to listen to him talk to know that he is a critical thinker. Those who think critically tend to write using a lot of symbolism, metaphors, and sub-text. Therefore, the message they are conveying is usually a hell of a lot deeper than the actual words themselves.

There's a fuck of a lot in here, not that a fucking lame brain like you would have any clue as to what the fuck I'm talking about.

...And yes, I will thoroughly enjoy myself should I ever be presented the opportunity to analyze the lyrics on this stellar album. There's a fuck of a lot in here from what I've managed so far.

Too bad you lack the intelligence to comprehend everything Dave is saying "under the surface"...

ThrillsNSpills
04-23-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't know if this qualifies as a nuance, but I love the rotation in the guitar part at the end of As Is.

ThrillsNSpills
04-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Also if you listen to Blood and Fire with headphones on , you can tell he recorded it on his Ripley, since different strings are panned left and right.

DLR Bridge
04-23-2012, 10:02 PM
A "swell" nuance it is! Those swells at the end are a bit chilling, haunting. That whole ending starting with the la la las is remarkable. I think this tune should've switched places with Beats Workin' in the track order.

Being a headphone guy, that Ripley string panning in Blood & Fire has been rattling my brain for some time now. I wonder if any other guitarists have employed it's use. Anyone?

DLR Bridge
04-23-2012, 10:21 PM
It's 'giddyup there'..

I dunno. You mean like a Kramer giddyup? I'm not even hearing a G sound to tell you the truth.

Hey man, you are the KING of putting Hagar fans in their place. Stick with raggin' on them. I think Angel has an interesting idea. Dave always said he writes stuff that takes months or years to figure out (ok, not songs like Eyes Of The Night, but the more refined and evolved Dave). Let the figuring out begin!

Zing!
04-24-2012, 11:03 AM
I dunno. You mean like a Kramer giddyup? I'm not even hearing a G sound to tell you the truth.!

I hear "Hit me!" but kind of Dave's blues mush-mouth, like: "ahitmah..."

VAiN
04-24-2012, 11:05 AM

I'm standing firm on the giddyup..

Zing!
04-24-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm standing firm on the giddyup..

Damnit, Vain - you KNOW that's what I'm gonna hear now every time I listen to that part...

Angel
04-24-2012, 05:20 PM

I can't make out what I hear, but it's close to that...I think...

theshapecool
06-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Glad you guys finally heard the vintage scream in 'she's the woman' ;-)

I personally love in Stay Frosty, when Dave says: 'Use my hand I wont look!'

Who knows!

ELVIS
06-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Pretty sure he wrote empathy in the lyrics....

100% sure you're full of shit...

Angel
06-17-2012, 06:36 PM
100% sure you're full of shit...

100% sure you're a cunt...

DavidLeeNatra
06-17-2012, 06:39 PM
100% sure you're a cunt...

100% sure I LMFAO! :lmao:

SNIPER
06-17-2012, 06:39 PM
:biggrin:

SNIPER
06-17-2012, 06:40 PM
ahhh.. Good times at the army for sure! :popcorn:

Angel
06-17-2012, 07:05 PM
ahhh.. Good times at the army for sure! :popcorn:

:lmao:

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

ELVIS
06-17-2012, 08:02 PM
BlackBerry...

They fucking suck...

Get a real smart phone...

Angel
06-17-2012, 08:28 PM
BlackBerry...

They fucking suck...

Get a real smart phone...

Can't disagree with you on that one. 4 months till I can upgrade. I'll use the new phone to video me smashing this piece of shit against a brick wall.

ELVIS
06-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Get an iPhone...

Droid sucks as well...

iPhones have good resale value also...

I've made over $600 selling three old iPhones on eBay...

ThrillsNSpills
06-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Can't disagree with you on that one. 4 months till I can upgrade. I'll use the new phone to video me smashing this piece of shit against a brick wall.

you should use the footage in your show.

fourthcoming
06-18-2012, 10:49 AM
In that case, let's meet for beers in the city some day! We'll be those annoying guys at the bar carrying on about the best band around!

You know I never saw this post until today. Tell you what, next VH show @ MSG....beers on me bro.

DLR Bridge
06-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Kick ass!

ELVIS
06-18-2012, 11:07 AM
*edit*

:elvis:

Angel
06-18-2012, 12:18 PM
you should use the footage in your show.

That would be something for Glen or his monster of a father, Judy's too passive. Well, except for her predilection for the use of tasers during sex ;)