PDA

View Full Version : Dave's Vocal Wheel House

DLR Bridge
04-24-2012, 08:29 AM
There have been rumors flying about As Is and Light Up The Sky being jammed at sound checks for future live show inclusion (or not) for some time now. As much as it would be insane to hear them live, thosetunes would certainly give Dave a good run for his money. Especially As Is. While blasting Loss Of Control on the way to work today, I couldn't help but think how well this present day VH would nail that song. If anything, Wolf would need to break out the wrench for the back ups.

What are some other classic tunes that Dave could still put a hurtin on, rather than the other way around, that would be great to hear this smoldering hot version of Van Halen take a stab at live? New tunes, too.

TwoFoolsAMinute
04-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Take your Whiskey Home

TwoFoolsAMinute
04-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Wbat's happening with Dave? I mean...he had the voice thing figured out from about 04-08. Now he's changed his singing style and he's not pulling off some songs that he could do very well. I don't get it. Somebody send him one of those 04 japan bootlegs...he sounds great on those.

Angel
04-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Wbat's happening with Dave? I mean...he had the voice thing figured out from about 04-08. Now he's changed his singing style and he's not pulling off some songs that he could do very well. I don't get it. Somebody send him one of those 04 japan bootlegs...he sounds great on those.

04 was 8 years ago. Aging sucks...

DLR Bridge
04-24-2012, 10:38 AM

There is a bit of a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' situation at hand. He was, is and always will be a baritone. A change in style at this stage of the game is a bit perplexing, but I'm sure the man has his reasons.

Angel
04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
There is a bit of a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' situation at hand. He was, is and always will be a baritone. A change in style at this stage of the game is a bit perplexing, but I'm sure the man has his reasons.

Yup, I agree there's a reason for it...or, am I making an assumption? Damn you, Dave!

TwoFoolsAMinute
04-24-2012, 11:48 AM
I feel like he's trying to prove he has a high vocal register...and he's doing the opposite.

rocking ron
04-24-2012, 04:20 PM
We all know he's not good with that 'high vocal' stuff, but anyway the question was which other songs we wanna hear : TAKE YOUR WHISKY HOME, yeah must be great, and

maybe HOUSE OF PAIN ?? mmmmm for me personally DIRTY MOVIES and ME WISE MAGIC or/and CAN"T GET THIS STUFF NO MORE !!! And any song from A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH

they didn't play yet!!! C'mon DAVE give us a break,,,,,,,,,!

VAiN
04-24-2012, 07:15 PM
He could do the bulk of the old stuff, no problem, if he sung them like 'Dave'.. sometimes I feel like he's purposely avoiding his signature sing/talk style.

Yount
04-24-2012, 09:19 PM
It'll never happen, but solo Dave stuff. Whawazat! Goin' places...

Terry
04-24-2012, 09:21 PM
He could do the bulk of the old stuff, no problem, if he sung them like 'Dave'.. sometimes I feel like he's purposely avoiding his signature sing/talk style.

It does seem that way...when he just sings the tunes the way they were recorded, they sound fine...even today.

I mean, Light Up The Sky might present some problems if only because several of the verses were recorded one line at a time and spliced together on the original record (the sheer amount of lyrics in that song combined with the speed of delivery - talk about a motherfucker!).

I can readily accept that the high-end screams are beyond his range. Matter of fact, he only did one at the Tampa show. What is less easily to accept is yelling 50% of the lyrics in a strained range higher than the original recordings for no apparent reason, and it wasn't as easy to accept mostly because it didn't sound good when he did it.

DLR Bridge
04-24-2012, 09:39 PM
...What is less easily to accept is yelling 50% of the lyrics in a strained range higher than the original recordings for no apparent reason, and it wasn't as easy to accept mostly because it didn't sound good when he did it.

I know you take no pleasure in writing that, but you're absolutely correct. At the show I attended, I thought the key change to Dance The Night Away was risk that barely worked that night. DTNA from this most recent show on 4/21, he was all over the place. It didn't have to be that way.

I think he could do Big River. The note he holds at the end of the verse is not a whole lot different than "as fine as you aaaaaare" in I'll Wait. Like VAiN said, If he sings it like Dave...

DLR Bridge
04-24-2012, 10:50 PM
It'll never happen, but solo Dave stuff. Whawazat! Goin' places...

I like the way they used to do a partial of a cover tune mid-song like on Romeo Delight or SGMAD. I could totally here them doing a piece of I Made Up My Mind in the middle of something. Now that is in Dave's wheel house!

Terry
04-24-2012, 11:15 PM
I know you take no pleasure in writing that, but you're absolutely correct. At the show I attended, I thought the key change to Dance The Night Away was risk that barely worked that night. DTNA from this most recent show on 4/21, he was all over the place. It didn't have to be that way.

I think he could do Big River. The note he holds at the end of the verse is not a whole lot different than "as fine as you aaaaaare" in I'll Wait. Like VAiN said, If he sings it like Dave...

No, there's really no pleasure or ulterior motive in writing that. I mean, it's just basic fairness and calling it the way I saw it and heard it. I dig the vast majority of Roth's output, but I'm not someone who thinks everything Roth does is stellar just by default because it's Roth: it's because he earned the praise from the level of his performance, rather than being a Dave acolyte.

Like, there's all sorts of reasons I think Eddie Van Halen is a dipshit in terms of what I've read of his personality, his comments in interviews and lifestyle choices. However, thinking all of that isn't going to get in the way of me saying Ed performed very well when he did, or shitty when he didn't.

Fact remains that from what I heard and saw this time around, Ed was in excellent form. Last tour, Roth had it wired down tight and Ed was a mess. This time around, Ed has it wired down tight and Dave has made a choice to approach his vocals in a manner that isn't always a benefit to the groups overall sound. The high-flying martial art acrobatics are a thing of the past? Accepted. Can't pull off the high-end screams anymore? Fine. His inbetween song patter fell a bit flat this time around? Whatever.

Yelling the tunes in a strained key rather than singing them? THAT is something that WASN'T a concession to age.

Despite my bitching, I did enjoy the show. ;)

sadaist
04-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Push Comes To Shove. But I think many in the audience wouldn't get it.

DLR Bridge
04-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Push Comes To Shove. But I think many in the audience wouldn't get it.

Can I tell ya, the least applause I heard at the MSG show was following Girl Gone Bad..... GIRL FUCKING GONE FUCKING BAD!!! I mean, I had just wet my pantaloones, Al does the big finish DUT DUT D-D-D-D-DTTT and the place went "hhhhheeehhhh". That's the sort of thing that drives me mad about catering to casual fans, I mean, they have to! They're at that nostalgic point. Thank GOD they're still hooking the die-hards up. They haven't poo pood us in the least, but Pretty Woman, Jump, You Really Got Me and a few others that I never need to hear again are anchored to the floor of their set lists. They'll always be there.

So yeah, I'd fricken love Push Comes To Shove but the shit-ass Twitter generation would demand their money back by the second minute of that gem.

I'm hoping they get Drop Dead Legs out there some day. Always been an odd chorus (still not sure what the fuck he's saying) but man oh man...

Angel
04-25-2012, 12:22 AM
At the end of the tour, they need to do a special show just for us.

Oh, how I would love Push Comes to Shove. Always been one of my favourites. Take Your Whiskey Home would be great too.

VAiN has a point I hadn't thought about with Dave seeming to be avoiding his talking style of singing, though. Some of those DTNA vids are freaking painful.

Light Em' Up!
04-25-2012, 12:31 AM

Ooooo Angel, I like your way of thinking! A private concert for all of us Roth Army folks, where we can do requests??? Holy shit! Yep, I'm a Little Dreamer....of course everyone knows what my request would be, so no need to beat a dead horse...

:drum:

ELVIS
04-25-2012, 01:05 AM
We all know he's not good with that 'high vocal' stuff, but anyway the question was which other songs we wanna hear : TAKE YOUR WHISKY HOME, yeah must be great, and

maybe HOUSE OF PAIN ?? mmmmm for me personally DIRTY MOVIES and ME WISE MAGIC or/and CAN"T GET THIS STUFF NO MORE !!! And any song from A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH

they didn't play yet!!! C'mon DAVE give us a break,,,,,,,,,!

Y R U yelling ??

chi-town324
04-25-2012, 01:42 AM
i think even today he could pull off dirty movies...and DOA as well as a few others...as long as he stays in range

Terry
04-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Can I tell ya, the least applause I heard at the MSG show was following Girl Gone Bad..... GIRL FUCKING GONE FUCKING BAD!!! I mean, I had just wet my pantaloones, Al does the big finish DUT DUT D-D-D-D-DTTT and the place went "hhhhheeehhhh". That's the sort of thing that drives me mad about catering to casual fans, I mean, they have to! They're at that nostalgic point. Thank GOD they're still hooking the die-hards up. They haven't poo pood us in the least, but Pretty Woman, Jump, You Really Got Me and a few others that I never need to hear again are anchored to the floor of their set lists. They'll always be there.

So yeah, I'd fricken love Push Comes To Shove but the shit-ass Twitter generation would demand their money back by the second minute of that gem.

I'm hoping they get Drop Dead Legs out there some day. Always been an odd chorus (still not sure what the fuck he's saying) but man oh man...

The points of the live show that interested me the most were the ADKOT material and the 'deep' tracks.

It's totally understandable that the band are gonna do some of their best-known material. I personally wouldn't have minded not hearing YRGM, Pretty Woman or Jump, either. But, like you said, they're structuring the set lists for the casual fans AND the hardcore fans.

Push Comes To Shove would be great to hear live...or Dirty Movies...or Fools...apparently Wolf is the driving force behind getting the band to change up the setlists and play the deeper cuts.

I'm not too surprised that Girl Gone Bad didn't get a huge reception. Would be willing to bet any given audience these days has more casual fans, or people going because it's an 'event' concert of the season, as far as 1984 goes they know Jump, Panama, Hot For Teacher and I'll Wait and that's as far as what they've heard off of 1984 goes.

DLR Bridge
04-25-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm not too surprised that Girl Gone Bad didn't get a huge reception. Would be willing to bet any given audience these days has more casual fans, or people going because it's an 'event' concert of the season, as far as 1984 goes they know Jump, Panama, Hot For Teacher and I'll Wait and that's as far as what they've heard off of 1984 goes.

Yeah, s'pose you're right. It's just that once the show starts and everyone goes berserk, you think your in a room full of people who all want the same thing.

On a more comical note, could you imagine if they did Push Comes To Shove and just after Dave delivers the opening line, "does it seem cold in here to you?" he explodes with "shut the fucking air conditioner off!!"

VAiN
04-25-2012, 12:27 PM
I know I went ape-shit when they played GGB in Orlando. That and Hang 'em High were the 2 I really wanted to hear. Im of the opinion that the band needs to satisfy the hardcore fans at this stage in the game. We're the ones who keep coming back.

sadaist
04-25-2012, 12:37 PM
On a more comical note, could you imagine if they did Push Comes To Shove and just after Dave delivers the opening line, "does it seem cold in here to you?" he explodes with "shut the fucking air conditioner off!!"

:lmao:

sadaist
04-25-2012, 12:40 PM

Roth Army Special. Except this time Warf is in the back row clicking refresh on HIS computer.

sadaist
04-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Roth Army Special. Except this time Warf is in the back row clicking refresh on HIS computer.

Angel
04-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Roth Army Special. Except this time Warf is in the back row clicking refresh on HIS computer. He's at home clicking "refresh". Someone has to keep the site going while we're all "out". :D

Zing!
04-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Some of those DTNA vids are freaking painful.

I can dig Dave attempting to give DTNA a new twist - and I actually kind of like the different vocal arrangement he's come up with - but his execution has me stymied.

It was a nice try to mix things up, but maybe it's time to drop the new DTNA faster than that 80's headset and go back to the album version...

guwapo_rocker
04-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Some of those DTNA vids are freaking painful.

I can dig Dave attempting to give DTNA a new twist - and I actually kind of like the different vocal arrangement he's come up with - but his execution has me stymied.

It was a nice try to mix things up, but maybe it's time to drop the new DTNA faster than that 80's headset and go back to the album version...

I can't watch it anymore, and DTNA was one of my favorites last tour.

vanshipman
05-22-2012, 04:57 AM
Sinners Swing! and Drop Dead Legs for me would be epic. Dave could still rip those up I do believe, as far as new stuff goes give me Stay Frosty and As Is. I'd love to hear Outta Space but I'm afraid Dave wouldnt quite get that one.

Seshmeister
05-22-2012, 06:15 AM

I'm sure he had reasons for the headset mike too but...

loucap81
05-24-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't know I'd think at these ticket prices, it'd only be die-hard fans going. What casual fan would even pay $50 to sit in a crappy seat? But I agree, you get the sense that the deep cuts aren't appreciated by a big part of the crowd. It's their loss. I never understood the mentality of staying in a comfortable, safe musical bubble, and it's not like it would take that long to "learn" all the other great songs VH has done. How long does it take to listen to the original six, maybe 3.5 hours?

sadaist
05-24-2012, 03:08 PM
What casual fan would even pay $50 to sit in a crappy seat??

Many.

I am only a casual fan of the Stones, The Who, and some other great rock bands. I have attended their shows because they are the type of bands you gotta see at least once in your lifetime. I imagine a lot of people feel the same way with Van Halen.

Inside.intel
05-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Mean street bro hell yeah

Inside.intel
05-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Lights Camera Action!!!!!!

loucap81
05-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Many.

I am only a casual fan of the Stones, The Who, and some other great rock bands. I have attended their shows because they are the type of bands you gotta see at least once in your lifetime. I imagine a lot of people feel the same way with Van Halen.

Interesting. I haven't seen too many bands that I'm only a casual fan of basically because I don't want to pay the price. Last time I was in that situation was Rush in 2007 where I paid $35 for a shitty lawn seat (great concert BTW). So yeah I guess there's someone like that for every town that VH plays.