PDA

View Full Version : Alice Cooper,Underrated?????

Dave's Bitch
04-26-2012, 07:37 AM
So I have been listening to a whole lotta Alice Cooper lately.It seem's everywhere I turn I see people bitching about how underrated he is,How he never gets paid his dues and how nobody recognises his talent.So I find myself wondering exactly how in the hell is Alice Cooper underrated?.There really is little in his 4 decades in music he has not achieved, platinum albums, sold-out tours and any number of honors and career achievement awards.Without Alice Cooper there may not have been Kiss,The New York Doll's,Motley Crue.Not my taste but also Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, and Rob Zombie.I simply can't understand how people could think he is constantly underrated and overlooked.

Is anyone here of the opinion he is underrated?

vandeleur
04-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Not in my house he ain't , he is still good live and billion dollar babies is always in my top ten fav non vh records

Dave's Bitch
04-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Exactly.I simply cannot fathom why people say otherwise.If you dare mention Alice it seems you will be pummelled into the ground by shouts of underrated underrated underrated.The only reason i can possibly think of is for so long he has been overlooked by the Rock n Roll hall of fame,Pretty pathetic reasoning if you ask me.I have tried numerous times with many people to explain EVERYONE recognises he is an innovator,Pioneer and unique talent but to no avail.All I get told is "oh no rock and roll hall of fame",as if somehow that is the only thing that validates a musicians careers.I find it infuriating :pullinghair:

Mr Walker
04-26-2012, 08:28 AM
I think 'under-appreciated' might be a better term.
Alice did finally make it into the Hall of Fame last year.

Funny that you started this thread because I was looking for a place to talk about Alice. During the weekend I found some dude out on the interweb who started a project of transferring the entire Alice Cooper catalog from vinyl. Not sure how far he is going, but as of today he has done all the studio releases up to 'Along Came A Spider'. So I've been listening to a lot of Alice over the past few days.
You're only 22... but when I was a kid in the early 70s... Alice was public enemy #1 (or public animal #9, if you will)... he was like Satan, Charles Manson and The Boogeyman all rolled up into one. I'd have nightmares about Alice and the horrible things we all thought he was doing. It wasn't till the later 70s when he pulled back the curtain with stuff like The Muppet Show and Hollywood Squares that he started to kinda wink at us and let us in on the joke. I could talk about Alice all day if you wanted to.

binnie
04-26-2012, 08:28 AM
He is underrated in the sense that whilst his commercial success/longevity and showmanship are recognized, the brilliance of his early work is often overlooked - people remember 'Poison' more than 'Dead Babies'.

In a sense, at least as far as the general public is concerned, the theatrics come before the music. Those of us actually familiar with the music know that that's not the case.

Zing!
04-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Seen a lot bands, a lot of rock shows in my time. Alice Cooper is top five, for sure. Saw him with Rob Zombie a few years back. Seriously killer show - had a lot of "Dude, I totally forgot about THIS song" moments. As an added bonus, his backing band was tight as hell - gave John 5 and the rest of Zombie's band a run for their money! I would go see Alice again in a heartbeat!

Mr Walker
04-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Seen a lot bands, a lot of rock shows in my time. Alice Cooper is top five, for sure. Saw him with Rob Zombie a few years back. Seriously killer show - had a lot of "Dude, I totally forgot about THIS song" moments. As an added bonus, his backing band was tight as hell - gave John 5 and the rest of Zombie's band a run for their money! I would go see Alice again in a heartbeat!

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I've been an Alice fan since I was in the second grade and I've never seen him live.
Finally crossing that off my bucket list when I see him with Maiden in June.

vandeleur
04-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Maiden and Alice that's some gig !!!

ThrillsNSpills
04-26-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm embarrassed to say this, but I've been an Alice fan since I was in the second grade and I've never seen him live.

I got in trouble in 5th grade for singing School's Out on the last day of school.
So I'd say Alice was underappreciated by my 5th grade teacher.

couldn't have been my performance, which was impeccable but you knew that.

Nitro Express
04-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Remember those milk cartons full of BB's you could buy? I took one to school the last day and dumped the whole thing on hall floor hoping when the kids ran out when the last bell of the year rang they would slip on the BB's and fall on their asses. It's didn't work. I never got caught. I'm sure the janitor had fun cleaning them up because they scattered all over the place. Thousands of them.

lesfunk
04-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Marbles would have worked...

Zing!
04-26-2012, 01:14 PM

That was pretty much how I felt back then - a fan all these years and had never seen him. When he announced he was playing here in MN, I drove into the city and waited outside the box office window for them to open to make sure I got a ticket. There were a few other Alice die-hards there as well - each reminiscing about all the shows they've seen. I had to admit I had never seen him live. Feels good to have that one checked off my list - but once you experience it, you want to go again and again...

P.S. Seeing Alice come back out to do 'School's Out' with Zombie was bad ass!

guwapo_rocker
04-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Used to listen to his records all the time with other kids in grade school, sitting around

a record player with our headphones on.

Loved the Welcome To My Nightmare movie. That album was recorded in a studio

right behind my school. I think most of the kids you hear on Department of Youth were from

my school.

chefcraig
04-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Marbles would have worked...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwlRiq-bIms

katina
04-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I´ve been an Alice fan siince I was 13 years old, I recieved an used imported album for gift "Love it to Death", it blew my mind. Even my mother asked me "what is that music ?" and then we listened to Alice together!!!! Alice was unknown down here at that time.
I remember while listening to "I´m eighteen", thinking: well, I am 13 now, how it will be being 18!!!! I bought a lot of his music, still have some CDs, and a VHS "Alice Cooper Prime Cuts".
I´ve never seen him live, I tried 20 years ago in Holland, but the concert was Sold Out, I was so sad....:(
For me his music is first to the theatrics, he is a pioneer, great musician and always thought that behind all his horror show, he is a very "Nice Guy". :)

Dave's Bitch
04-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Never seen Alice live either.I guess it make's sense his work being under appreciated in term's of it's actual content.Perhaps the name of the thread should be changed to The Alice Cooper Appreciation thread

katina
04-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Never seen Alice live either.I guess it make's sense his work being under appreciated in term's of it's actual content.Perhaps the name of the thread should be changed to The Alice Cooper Appreciation thread

That´s a great idea !!! The Alice Cooper Appreciation thread. :high5:
Even my mother, she is 77 years now, will have some nice words to Alice (I will translate them from spanish)

rocking ron
04-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Have seen Alice live almost 10 years ago in Amsterdam and it was a good show!! He's such and still a great entertainer!!!!!!!!!

I saw lately a 'rock'-dvd with all kinds of 'video-clips' and Alice was introducing a video-clip of David Lee Roth with the words......"and here is good old Dave...etc....

It sounded that funny to him hear saying that because he's much older himself...........I think about 6 or 7 years........but doesn't matter 'cause he's real R'n'R and will go

on till' he die on stage...........I respect this kind of true rockers very very much just like Lemmy (Motorhead) Kiss, Stones ..etc :sign0011::sign0011:

Angel
04-26-2012, 08:12 PM
He sucked first time I saw him. Pissed out of his tree, falling everywhere.... It was brutal.

Caught him about 20 years ago and he was great, but his guitarist drove me up the fucking wall...

sadaist
04-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Saw him once around 1986. Megadeth opening up on the very beginning of the Peace Sells tour. I went for Megadeth and because Alice was a show that I had to see once. Don't especially care for his music much. But the stage show was a lot of fun to watch. He put himself in a guillotine. CHOP!

Yount
04-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Alice Cooper is very underrated, especially on the back nine.

fifth element
04-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Saw him do a television gig w/ one of the talk show hosts in years gone by.....even in that limited arena, he put on one hell of a show....made me sit up and take notice, for sure.

FORD
04-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Alice Cooper is very underrated, especially on the back nine.

Well, the golf thing probably isn't doing a lot for his rock star image. Not that he probably gives a shit anymore, at his age. But seriously, someone needs to help him with his golfing fashion......

http://www.gorillagolfblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Alice-Cooper-golf.jpg

...just because you are a senior citizen playing golf doesn't mean you have to LOOK like one, Vince! :biggrin:

tommyv
04-26-2012, 09:55 PM
My relationship with Alice goes back to the early days. I still have my original albums with the Killer calendar, the B$B bill, School's Out panties and the Muscle of Love book cover.

I saw the original band in Dec 73 on the B$B Holiday Tour. They'd had a spot of trouble in Toledo the night before and equipment trucks had broken down on the way to Toronto. A very sparse stage and Alice was beheaded with a sword, rather than the guillotine. One of the best rock n roll books ever written was Bob Green's "Billion Dollar Baby". He was on the tour as Santa Claus and the book is ostensibly his tour diary. Some little old band from Texas had the opening slot on the tour.

I saw Alice when he visited Toronto on the Nightmare tour, but he didn't play here again until Nov 81. I saw him twice on that tour and both shows were terrible. Alice was a shadow of his former self.

I should mention that he was supposed to appear in Aug 80 at the CNE Grandstand, an outdoor venue. I had great centre floor seats and was looking forward to seeing him after 5 years. Billy Squier was supposed to open, but didn't show. We were subjected to Zon, a local prog band that were atrocious. They set up the stage for Alice and, after what seemed like forever, I noticed that we were being joined by a good number of mounted police. I mentioned to my date that it seemed rather curious. Once the cops were in position, someone finally announced that Alice was ill and would not be appearing. The crowd did not take that well. All kinds of stuff started flying over my head towards the stage. Then the chairs started flying. Took out the drum kit and more. Ever been in a riot? Not a lot of fun. Lots of youtube footage of this evening.

After the 1981 disappointment, I stayed away from Alice shows until 2004. I've seen him 4 times since then, one of which was a stinker. The rest were fine evenings. He has always had a great band behind him, last year's tour with Orianthi on guitar was no exception.

Lots of other Alice books around. I see there's a new biography being released this year. Golf Monster was okay, but you can skip the golf and God chapters. Mike Bruce's book, No More Mister Nice Guy, was a light read and I'm not sure why it commands such a premium.

Musically, Love It To Death, Killer and B$B are still in regular rotation and take a back seat to nothing.

katina
04-27-2012, 12:08 AM
An old black and white photo.

http://tekstovi-pesama.com/g_img/0/3359/alice%2520cooper-8.jpg

FORD
04-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Without Alice Cooper there may not have been Kiss,The New York Doll's,Motley Crue.Not my taste but also Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, and Rob Zombie.I simply can't understand how people could think he is constantly underrated and overlooked.

You can add the Sex Pistols to that list. Johnny Rotten was an Alice Cooper fan, and actually auditioned for the band by singing "Eighteen".

katina
04-27-2012, 12:41 AM
You can add the Sex Pistols to that list. Johnny Rotten was an Alice Cooper fan, and actually auditioned for the band by singing "Eighteen".

You are right about Jonny Rotten (Lydon)

"In 2002 Lydon presented his own tribute program to Cooper on BBC radio. Lydon told the BBC that "I know the words to every Alice Cooper song. The fact is, if you can call what I have a musical career, it all started with me miming to I'm Eighteen on a jukebox".

gbranton
04-27-2012, 01:25 AM
I have tickets to see him open for Iron Maiden June 23rd in Atlanta, GA. It will be my first time to see him. I like him as a person from what I've seen in interviews but I am a child of the 1980's and my favorite song by him is "Poison". If he plays that I'll be happy. Regardless, I will report back to this thread afterwards.

Dave's Bitch
04-27-2012, 04:19 AM

Well I did not know that.That is one thing i love about this place,I learn something new most days :)

Dave's Bitch
04-27-2012, 04:24 AM
I have tickets to see him open for Iron Maiden June 23rd in Atlanta, GA. It will be my first time to see him. I like him as a person from what I've seen in interviews but I am a child of the 1980's and my favorite song by him is "Poison". If he plays that I'll be happy. Regardless, I will report back to this thread afterwards.

That will be a killer show,I expect a full review :)

I like poison too,I also have trash and hey stoopid in regular rotation.His poppier more commercial stuff is still pretty cool but sounds so dated.I like his straight up rock stuff from the band more,But I have found myself really into the more industrial sounding albums.One of my favourites is Catch me if you can from Along came a spider :).Also been giving Welcome 2 my nightmare some serious play time.That is a great album

Hardrock69
04-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Schools Out was the first song I heard by Alice that reinforced something I had realized when I first heard The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Reprise" in 1967.
You know, where the song Good Morning ends with the sound of a fox hunt....then a lonesome chicken clucking, which turns into an electric guitar lick...then the count off "ONE....TWO..THRE....FOUR.....BLAM!" What I call "Heavy Metal Beatles".

Anyway, the opening riff of "School's Out" sounds so ELECTRIC. I have always loved that guitar sound.

Yes, he WAS viewed by society as Satan, Charles Manson and the Boogeyman all rolled up into one......because in the early days his stage shows were EXTREMELY psychotic.....

Sure....eventually he went mainstream...but he was frightening to mainstream America back then....songs like "I Love The Dead"...and "Dead Babies".

Check out some early performances on Youtube. I mean, from 1969-1970.

I have a DVD of the Cincinnati Pop Fest from 1970....had Mountain, Grand Funk, Iggy Pop & The Stooges, and Alice. He was fucking WEIRD, man!

I would say he is a bit underappreciated by Mainstream America....but the music world, especially the rock music world, knows his true value.

I did not see him until 1985. Then saw him in 1991, then I did not see him again until I moved to Nashville....he played at The Ryman Auditorium about 5 years ago and I had a seat like 4th or 5th row on the floor...and he KICKED FUCKING ASS!

Then saw him again last year opening for Rob Zombie at the Municipal Auditorium here. Still great.

I true icon in the music world.

DLR Bridge
04-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Caught him about 20 years ago and he was great, but his guitarist drove me up the fucking wall...

I saw the "Raise Your Fist & Yell" tour too if that's what you're talking about. Back when his guitarist was that roided-out Kane Roberts. The only thing worse than an Eddie rip off is an Eddie rip off that looks like a professional wrestler.

Angel
04-27-2012, 07:38 AM
I saw the "Raise Your Fist & Yell" tour too if that's what you're talking about. Back when his guitarist was that roided-out Kane Roberts. The only thing worse than an Eddie rip off is an Eddie rip off that looks like a professional wrestler.

Yup, that would be the one.

Mr Walker
04-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Muscle of Love book cover.

I remember a teacher confiscating this from me when I put it on one of my books... it had a funny picture of the band peeling potatoes (or maybe that was the sleeve inside the cardboard box... I cun't remember).

I should mention that he was supposed to appear in Aug 80 at the CNE Grandstand, an outdoor venue. I had great centre floor seats and was looking forward to seeing him after 5 years. Billy Squier was supposed to open, but didn't show. We were subjected to Zon, a local prog band that were atrocious. They set up the stage for Alice and, after what seemed like forever, I noticed that we were being joined by a good number of mounted police. I mentioned to my date that it seemed rather curious. Once the cops were in position, someone finally announced that Alice was ill and would not be appearing. The crowd did not take that well. All kinds of stuff started flying over my head towards the stage. Then the chairs started flying. Took out the drum kit and more. Ever been in a riot? Not a lot of fun. Lots of youtube footage of this evening.

I remember seeing a news report on this the night it happened.

One of the best rock n roll books ever written was Bob Green's "Billion Dollar Baby". He was on the tour as Santa Claus and the book is ostensibly his tour diary. Some little old band from Texas had the opening slot on the tour.

I first read this book in college... they had it in the library along with 'Me, Alice' (made infamous by Alice's claim that he beat off into a donut that his sister wound up eating... a story he later recanted). Looking back, I should have stole both books based on what they fetch on Amazon. I wound up buying Green's book, but had to pay out the ass for it.

Mr Walker
04-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Dick Wagner has a kindle book available for $9.99. I'll wind up buying it one day. Alice wrote the forward... reviews are good and he was a big part of Alice's post Alice Cooper Band career.

http://www.amazon.com/WOMEN-BLEED-Vignettes-Musician-ebook/dp/B006RMRN28/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335527549&sr=1-1

Mr Walker
04-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I just listened to 'Living Next Door to Alice' by the band Smokie.

Mr Walker
04-27-2012, 08:34 AM
I always thought the song 'Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars' was a loose song about Alice Cooper?

'The Spiders' and 'The Nazz' were both old names for The Alice Cooper Band.

This verse pretty much sums up early Alice...
"Ziggy really sang, screwed up eyes and screwed down hairdo
Like some cat from Japan, he could lick 'em by smiling
He could leave 'em to hang
Came on so loaded man, well hung and snow white tan"

Also foreshadowed the end of the Alice Cooper Band...
"Became the special man, then we were Ziggy's band"

guwapo_rocker
04-27-2012, 09:23 AM
All kinds of stuff started flying over my head towards the stage. Then the chairs started flying.

Sorry :D

I was right behind you.

I had to hide in some bushes near the Shopsy's stand to avoid being clubbed by the

cops on horseback.

VHscraps
04-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Alice was such a character back in the earl-to-mid 70s. When 'School's Out' went to No. 1 in the UK I was a kid at school, and man we wanted to burn the damn place down! That song was fuel for the fire. 'School's been blown to pieces ...'.

That whole album is one of my all-time favourite albums. I never get tired of it. There were a lot of great tunes from that period, 'Elected', 'No More Mr. Nice Guy', 'Eighteen'. I stuck with Alice until about 1980-81 and the Special Forces album, but kinda lost interest.

If you have a few pennies to shell out at eBay, you could do worse than pick up a copy of this, which has a bunch of reprinted interviews, album reviews and other stuff from the early-to-mid 70s period, when Alice was a media darling. No one gave an interview like Alice, maybe until DLR came along. A very smart dude, and very funny at that time.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2488/3880663184_e16e432886_z.jpg

katina
04-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Alice was such a character back in the earl-to-mid 70s. No one gave an interview like Alice, maybe until DLR came along. A very smart dude, and very funny at that time.

:thumb: Totally agree.

ashstralia
04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
what's that live video where he builds a robot out of tubes and shit?

can't believe no-one's brought up the department of youth. alice rocks.

vandeleur
04-27-2012, 11:22 AM
man this thread could run and run .. good call DB everyone seems to think alice is cool.

katina
04-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Department of Youth!!!! We got the power!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw-AuhFakbY

VHscraps
04-27-2012, 12:03 PM
I loved this at the time - still like it now, but note the synths.

Yup, it's 1981. A cover of the Love tune, 'Seven and Seven' is, with Alice on good form. Maybe it should be in one of the Army boxing threads.

DLR Bridge
04-27-2012, 12:08 PM
I loved the lyrics and delivery on Generation Landslide. "Dad gets his allowance from his sonny the dealer
Who's pubic to the world but involved in high finance"

tommyv
04-27-2012, 12:41 PM
There used to be a record store in Toronto called Cheapies. They sold over-stock & deletes. Usually, these had their covers drilled or nicked. It was probably early 80s, but they got a boatload of undrilled, still sealed, pristine quad albums. I picked up a copy of B$B, complete with the billfold, wallet cards and bill. Obviously, the mix is a bit different than the stereo version but there is also at least 1 song with different lyrics - "Raped and Freezing" . IIRC, it may be available on the 'Life & Crimes" box set. It was a cool find.

Not sure if it was the same visit, but definitely in the same time period, they had a case of mint copies of the Bob Greene book. I seem to recall that between a few of us, we bought the whole case. I should ask my buddies if they're still sitting on them.

Walker mentioned 'Me, Alice". This is a book that I've never read, but a buddy of mine has one that he has on permanent loan from his high school library. Alice got a chuckle about it when he signed it after a show in Kitchener in 81.

sonrisa salvaje
04-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Saw Alice either last year or the year before and he was outstanding. Really great hard rock show. I remember in the 70's when he had all of the ballad top 40 hits like "You and Me" and "I Never Cry." He was a semi regular on Hollywood Squares with his snake and Marvel Comics did an Alice Cooper book the same way they did with Kiss. What was so great about Alice to me was how he reinvented himself as a hard rock/ metal star beginning with the Constrictor album, his song from the Friday the 13th movie and his big Halloween comeback concert on MTV. When he hit platinum success again with the Trash album and the Poison single, even though i didn't care for the music, it was pretty special to this Alice fan. I think his Brutal Planet album is one of the best metal albums of its decade.

chefcraig
04-27-2012, 02:03 PM
I always thought the song 'Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars' was a loose song about Alice Cooper?

'The Spiders' and 'The Nazz' were both old names for The Alice Cooper Band.

This verse pretty much sums up early Alice...
"Ziggy really sang, screwed up eyes and screwed down hairdo
Like some cat from Japan, he could lick 'em by smiling
He could leave 'em to hang
Came on so loaded man, well hung and snow white tan"

Also foreshadowed the end of the Alice Cooper Band...
"Became the special man, then we were Ziggy's band"

Ziggy was based upon a guy named Vince, but not Vince Furnier. The "Vince" Bowie envisioned was Vince Taylor, a would-be Elvis impersonator popular in Europe from the late 50s early/60s, who had one hit ("Brand New Cadillac", covered by the Clash on London Calling) before burning out on a combination of drugs, alcohol and his own gigantic ego.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvNHXbTL7Oc&feature=related

Dave's Bitch
04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
One of my fav newer alice songs

Mr. Vengeance
04-27-2012, 04:39 PM
There used to be a record store in Toronto called Cheapies. They sold over-stock & deletes. Usually, these had their covers drilled or nicked. It was probably early 80s, but they got a boatload of undrilled, still sealed, pristine quad albums. I picked up a copy of B$B, complete with the billfold, wallet cards and bill. Obviously, the mix is a bit different than the stereo version but there is also at least 1 song with different lyrics - "Raped and Freezing" . IIRC, it may be available on the 'Life & Crimes" box set. It was a cool find.

Not sure if it was the same visit, but definitely in the same time period, they had a case of mint copies of the Bob Greene book. I seem to recall that between a few of us, we bought the whole case. I should ask my buddies if they're still sitting on them.

Walker mentioned 'Me, Alice". This is a book that I've never read, but a buddy of mine has one that he has on permanent loan from his high school library. Alice got a chuckle about it when he signed it after a show in Kitchener in 81.

Ahhh Cheapies! Loved that place in the 80s! You could go in with $20 and walk out with 10 albums.

At last count I've seen Alice 8 times. I'm going again when he plays with Iron Maiden at Ottawa Bluesfest this summer. My first experience with Alice was when I was very young in the early 70s. I was about 6 and we had a lot of older kids on the block. They were listening to Love It To Death and they started telling me a story about how Black Juju was about someone coming to kill Alice with an axe while he's sleeping. Then the "WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" part hits and I go so freaked out I ran home and couldn't sleep that night. But I was hooked!

katina
04-30-2012, 11:41 AM
They were listening to Love It To Death and they started telling me a story about how Black Juju was about someone coming to kill Alice with an axe while he's sleeping. Then the "WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" part hits and I go so freaked out I ran home and couldn't sleep that night. But I was hooked!

Hahaha, Black Juju!!!! A couple of days ago I was with my best friend (he never listened to Alice before) and I took "Love it to Death" to play it in the car.
He was hooked from the very first moment, while we were trapped in a traffic jam, Black Juju begun, "Bodies need their rest.....rest....rest....I watched him relax in his seat.... I though "I should warn him" but I was already mesmerized by the song, and suddenly....
WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP! part hits, he jumped, glad he had his seat belt on!! ;) We laughed together.
He likes "Love it to Death" very much and he could not believe it was recorded more than 40 years ago. :)

Zing!
04-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Got some pretty cool pics of the Alice/Zombie show I went to around here somewhere - have to see if I can dig 'em up!

chefcraig
04-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Hahaha, Black Juju!!!! A couple of days ago I was with my best friend (he never listened to Alice before) and I took "Love it to Death" to play it in the car...
He likes "Love it to Death" very much and he could not believe it was recorded more than 40 years ago. :)

Man, what a great album that was. "The Ballad Of Dwight Fry" creeps me out to this day, just as it did when I was ten or eleven years old when I first heard it. (The older chicks living across the street always blasted the newest and best music out of their bedroom window. It was waaaay better than FM radio, which really had not developed into it's prime yet, and far more adventurous that the hits on AM.) The guitar/drum break in "Long Way to Go" continues to raise the hairs on my arm, "Hallowed Be My Name" was a great song to piss off your parents, and "Caught in a Dream" was a completely cool song.

Another memory that comes up from that era is the odd fact that the girls my age seemed to grasp the full meaning of "Is It My Body" a full three or four years before any of us guys did.

katina
04-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Man, what a great album that was. "The Ballad Of Dwight Fry" creeps me out to this day, just as it did when I was ten or eleven years old when I first heard it. (The older chicks living across the street always blasted the newest and best music out of their bedroom window. It was waaaay better than FM radio, which really had not developed into it's prime yet, and far more adventurous that the hits on AM.) The guitar/drum break in "Long Way to Go" continues to raise the hairs on my arm, "Hallowed Be My Name" was a great song to piss off your parents, and "Caught in a Dream" was a completely cool song.

Another memory that comes up from that era is the odd fact that the girls my age seemed to grasp the full meaning of "Is It My Body" a full three or four years before any of us guys did.

"Love it to Death" is an amazing album, from beginning to end, every song is epic.

Mr. Vengeance
04-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Love it to Death in my top 5 albums ever.

Don't forget the follow up, "Killer"...it rocks madly!

katina
04-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Love it to Death in my top 5 albums ever.

Don't forget the follow up, "Killer"...it rocks madly!

"Love it to Death and "Killer", what a "combo"¡¡ :clap:

Dave's Bitch
05-01-2012, 04:38 AM
Some classic Alice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Mw4iZxQPQ

katina
05-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Alice talks to LA Times at the premiere of "Dark Shadows" by Tim Burton.
The setting of the movie is in 1972, Alice is 64 now, awesome, thanks Alice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go38Ri86XmQ

Mr Badguy
05-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Ozzy gets way more praise than Alice, and he's only made (at-a-push) 3 truely great albums.

Alice has hardly made a bad one in 45 years.

If there's a shock rock song that tops "I love the dead" then I ain't heard it.

In terms of influence and damn good songs, Alice is a contender for No. 1, IMO.

fourthcoming
05-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Alice Cooper is a legend, no denying that but better than Ozzy? Really?

Mr Badguy
05-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Hell yes.

In musical terms, why not?

Cooper has written good songs his whole career.

Ozzy had a hot streak with Rhoads/Daisley then the well pretty much dried up.

My opinion, you've got yours.

fourthcoming
05-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Hell yes.

We respectfully agree to disagree. That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing Alice open for Maiden soon.

binnie
05-25-2012, 02:59 AM
Hell yes.

This is the truth - in terms of solo careers, at least.

Factor Sabbath into Ozzy and the balance probably shifts. But one thing I will say is that Alice always manages to surprise you with an album - you might not always like the surprise (and I wasn't over keen on 'Welcome....II'), but it's better than someone doing music by numbers.

Seshmeister
05-25-2012, 03:57 AM
Who can forget the lyrical genius of "I'm Your Gun"

Pull my trigger, I get bigger
Then I'm lots of fun
I'm your gun
I'm your gun, gun, gun
Bite my bullet
Push and pull it
Tell me I'm the one
I'm your gun
I'm your gun, gun, gun
Hold on steady, always ready, yeah
Well, I'm as hard as they come

Dave's Bitch
05-25-2012, 04:15 AM
This is the truth - in terms of solo careers, at least.

Factor Sabbath into Ozzy and the balance probably shifts. But one thing I will say is that Alice always manages to surprise you with an album - you might not always like the surprise (and I wasn't over keen on 'Welcome....II'), but it's better than someone doing music by numbers.

I really enjoyed welcome II,There are some absolute killer tracks on it.My fav's are I Am Made of You,When Hell Comes Home,Under the Bed and for the title alone I'll Bite Your Face Off.When Hell Comes Home particularly,A very chilling song.Hell i didn't even mind the track with Kesha :)

Mr Badguy
05-25-2012, 04:31 AM
Who can forget the lyrical genius of "I'm Your Gun"

Pull my trigger, I get bigger
Then I'm lots of fun
I'm your gun
I'm your gun, gun, gun
Bite my bullet
Push and pull it
Tell me I'm the one
I'm your gun
I'm your gun, gun, gun
Hold on steady, always ready, yeah
Well, I'm as hard as they come

Haha! :D

It's Rock N Roll, innit?

Ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong etc.

Dave's Bitch
05-25-2012, 04:41 AM
She licked her lips, they were bloody red
She had the heart of the living dead
She pushed me down on a burning bed
Thought I was in heaven, but instead
She turned her head and she softly said

I’ll bite your face off

:bigwink:

katina
05-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Talking about lyrical genius????
My choice is Alice....All the Women Bleed

Man got his woman to take his seed he got the power oh she got the need
She spends her life through pleasing up her man she feeds him dinner or anything she can
She cries alone at night too often he smokes and drinks and don't come home at all

Only women bleed only women bleed only women bleed

Man makes your hair grey he's your life's mistake all you're really looking for's an even break
He lies right at you you now hate this game he slaps you once in a while and you live and love in pain
She cries alone at night too often he smokes and drinks and don't come home at all ooh

Only women bleed only women bleed only women bleed only women bleed

Man got his woman to take his seed he got the power oh she got the need
She spends her life through pleasing up her man she feeds him dinner or anything she can
She cries alone at night too often he smokes and drinks and don't come home at all

Black eyes all of the time don't spend a dime clean up this grime
And you there down on your knees begging me please come watch me bleed

Only women bleed only women bleed only women bleed only women bleed

fourthcoming
05-29-2012, 08:37 AM
BTW Alics fans......there's a new flick out called God Bless America......pretty damn good movie.....DARK movie with some comedy thrown in......but this flick has some pretty cool usage of some Alice classics.....and a pretty bad ass monologue/rant about Alice.

katina
05-29-2012, 08:54 AM
BTW Alics fans......there's a new flick out called God Bless America......pretty damn good movie.....DARK movie with some comedy thrown in......but this flick has some pretty cool usage of some Alice classics.....and a pretty bad ass monologue/rant about Alice.

Thank you Fourthcoming! :) I´ve just found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fJ7wpP4OGA

Dave's Bitch
05-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Ha love it! :)

katina
05-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Ha love it! :)

I love it too, Alice rocks!!!

Toddb
05-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Cooper is still great live. A must see show if you have never seen Alice.

Mr Walker
06-12-2012, 10:33 AM
My brother just texted me these pics. He got Alice to sign a couple of my old ACB vinyls. My wife does a fundraiser every May and I'm hoping to frame them up nice for the gift raffle that is part of the event.

katina
06-12-2012, 11:02 AM
My brother just texted me these pics. He got Alice to sign a couple of my old ACB vinyls. My wife does a fundraiser every May and I'm hoping to frame them up nice for the gift raffle that is part of the event.

Wow, Awesome, Brillant !!! :thumb:
I wish I could pay for them and help.

Dave's Bitch
06-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Alice even makes Lady Gaga sound cool :)

katina
06-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Alice even makes Lady Gaga sound cool :)

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Alice rocks !!!!!

gbranton
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
That will be a killer show,I expect a full review :)

I like poison too,I also have trash and hey stoopid in regular rotation.His poppier more commercial stuff is still pretty cool but sounds so dated.

Here I am, ready to report. Alice Cooper kicked ass! I haven't ever been that much of a fan, so my expectations weren't sky high going in but I must say he blew me away, music aside he really is a master performer. Maiden had BALLS to put this guy on in front of them, I don't think most bands could follow him. The only song I was disappointed in really was Poison, his voice was a little flat in that song, I think it may be sang differently than most of his other stuff. His set had snake handling, Frankenstien, swords, straight jackets, a guillotine and Alice Cooper's severed head.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/333456_3572002498559_1685602158_o.jpg

And yes, she is a HELL of a guitarist.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/177795_3572017298929_1720020499_o.jpg

Video clips:

A little No More Mr Nice Guy:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3572140822017

It's alive.......IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!!

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3572180383006

Alice loses his head:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3572204863618

katina
06-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks Gbranton for your review, I agree with you, Alice is a master performer, I love him, and thank you for the video´s links.

Hardrock69
06-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Something I only found out yesterday. The hot blonde guitarist was none other than Orianthi, who was in Micheal Jackson's band. She was fucking smoking on guitar! Killer player!

fourthcoming
06-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Yes indeed bro.....I had no idea until last night that it was the same chick who played with michael jackson........she jams. I thought he had a killer band......and he still sounds great.

chefcraig
06-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Something I only found out yesterday. The hot blonde guitarist was none other than Orianthi, who was in Micheal Jackson's band. She was fucking smoking on guitar! Killer player!

Brother, check this out: :rockin::jammin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7b-_YcACuQ

ELVIS
06-28-2012, 07:28 PM
I remember at the end of the 80s every guitar player made crappy albums that sounded exactly like that...

Diamondjimi
06-28-2012, 08:16 PM
I remember at the end of the 80s every guitar player made crappy albums that sounded exactly like that...

:cough:Yngwie:cough:

Diamondjimi
06-28-2012, 08:23 PM
The early Alice is def the most classic era. Grew up listening to Alice.
Dennis Dunaway Alice's original bassist and Al & Joe Bouchard (ex B.O.C.) have a new band "Blue Coupe". They do originals plus
the classic songs that they wrote/performed with their former bands.
I've been invited to sit in for a couple numbers when they roll through my area in Nov. :thumb:

ELVIS
06-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Sit in what, piss and vomit ??

katina
06-28-2012, 11:23 PM
The early Alice is def the most classic era. Grew up listening to Alice.
Dennis Dunaway Alice's original bassist and Al & Joe Bouchard (ex B.O.C.) have a new band "Blue Coupe". They do originals plus
the classic songs that they wrote/performed with their former bands.
I've been invited to sit in for a couple numbers when they roll through my area in Nov. :thumb:

I didn´t know Blue Coupe, I just watched a couple of videos on youtube, I really like Alice, and feels strange not seeing him singing and performing when they play the classic songs.
Dennis Dunaway is an amazing bassist !!! And I found a video of Black Juju played by Blue Coupe.
Dennis sings this great version of Black Juju, from "Love it to Death", I am not sure, but I think he even wrote it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HjtIDXOwcE&feature=relmfu

ELVIS
06-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Dennis wrote almost every song...

Diamondjimi
06-29-2012, 03:38 AM

Sit in what, piss and vomit ??

You couldn't get an invite to sit in and fold shirts at a fuckin laundry mat...

chefcraig
06-29-2012, 08:24 AM
You couldn't get an invite to sit in and fold shirts at a fuckin laundry mat...

What a cool fuckin' tune! (The version from Live In Europe is far better, yet sadly, there is no video to accompany it. :()

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/electrastore/Vynil/gallagher.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQV97Yc0CoY&feature=related

Nickdfresh
06-29-2012, 12:54 PM
NPR recently played a great interview they did with Alice a few years back. Maybe someone can Google it?

I like Cooper, but my only beef is that he often bemoans how guys like Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie ripped him off when he did it first without mentioning that Arthur Brown was doing shock rock before him...

ELVIS
06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
I hope you don't listen to NPR for news...

Nickdfresh
06-29-2012, 01:02 PM
No, I only listen to diligently fact -checked sources Info(911)Whores...

ELVIS
06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Name one...

katina
07-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Alice Cooper video´s segments 1969-1972

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5CdzOAK1DQ

katina
07-06-2012, 06:53 PM
"No More Mr. Nice Guy" Alice Cooper opening for Iron Maiden, New Jersey, June 29th 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBYYGyZ57xY

Dave's Bitch
07-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Brilliant.Been meaning to look for a few of these

fourthcoming
07-07-2012, 07:33 AM

katina
07-07-2012, 10:04 AM
WOW !!! Arthur Brown and Alice, awesome !!! :thumb:

I copied from www..stereoboard.com , about Arthur Brown joining Alice on his 2011 "Night of Fear Tour"

"Alice Cooper has announced that he’ll be joined by ‘God of Hellfire’ Arthur Brown, following last year’s successful reclamation of London’s Halloween celebrations with his two Camden Roundhouse dates.

With new album ‘Welcome 2 My Nightmare’ on the way, Alice and his loyal fans, friends and assorted freaks will be descending on the capital's Alexandra Palace on 29th October to entertain and shock the nation. There will also be gigs in Sheffield, Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester and Bristol.

But this year, in an attempt to better last year’s outstanding gigs, Alice has invited the incredible and ‘crazy’ Arthur Brown. The first man to set his head on fire in the name of rock n roll, Arthur and his band ‘The Crazy World of Arthur Brown’ were to the 1960s what Alice was to the 1970s – the realization of a whole new possibility in music, the chance to bring theatre, shock and awe into the live performance. His 1968 Number 1 ‘Fire’ and its proclamation “I am the god of hellfire and I bring you FIRE!’ had a massive influence on Alice and a generation.

“We have a fire theme this year and we’re in the UK - I couldn’t NOT invite Arthur Brown,” Alice admitted. “This is a guy who set his head on fire on TV. Can you imagine the young Alice Cooper watching that with all his make-up and hellish performance? It was like all my Halloweens come at once! He was like Screaming Jay Hawkins on….Fire!”

Also added to some of the tour dates are New York Dolls, who’ll join Alice and Arthur on their Birmingham, Glasgow, London and Bristol dates to help shock audiences up and down Britain."

katina
07-07-2012, 05:52 PM
"Billion Dollar Babies " Alice Cooper (Orianthi guitar solo), opening for Iron Maiden, New Jersey, June 29th 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnwnpsVYFh4

binnie
02-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Bump!

vandeleur
02-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Great call binnie

I discovered a brutal planet DVD in a case it shouldn't have been in and watched it .
Forgot I love Alice , so dug shit out .... That's all that's been on my stereo for weeks.

katina
02-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Alice turned 66 a few days ago, I´m so glad he is still around and touring :)

katina
02-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Alice 1972

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JC_EC4anbE

katina
02-11-2014, 07:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgl5Ljoj6Rk

Moscow 2013, thank you so much Alice.