PDA

View Full Version : Tequila, lemon and salt

Sensible Shoes
04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
My memory fails me. What is the correct sequence for doing shots of tequila? Oh I know some will say lime, but it was always lemon for us. I have a lemon and some tequila and it's definitely time to use them up.

DONNIEP
04-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Toss out the lemon, the lime and the salt and just turn the bottle up! :) :gulp:

Seriously, I think the correct sequence is lick, slam, suck. Sounds bad when you put it that way but you know what I mean.

WACF
04-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Proper Tequila requires no lime or salt...

Coyote
04-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Then of course, there's the Chevy Chase-method...

Zing!
04-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Petron gold - no lime/salt required.

DONNIEP
04-30-2012, 06:07 PM

Damnit, you beat me to it :)

Sensible Shoes
04-30-2012, 07:09 PM

Chevy must have been drinking Sammy's shit tequila.

sadaist
04-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Lick the back of your hand a little to wet it. Put some salt on that spot and it sticks.

Lick salt

Drink shot of tequila

suck slice of lime

rinse - repeat

and Jim Beam is better anyways.

katina
04-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Petron gold - no lime/salt required.

patrontequila.com :)

Seshmeister
04-30-2012, 08:48 PM
We used to do this and sadaist described the method but eventually one day you admit to yourself it's just not very nice.

I can't speak to very good stuff but I found it better with a mixer and ice than the salt and lime thing and in fact it's just not one of the better spirits.

All you could say for the ritual really is that if there was a group of you it got things kicked off but any time I looked around say a table of 12 people, you would have 10 pulling faces and 2 at best tolerating it.

Still if it's all you have in the house. Personally I would go buy a bottle of coke and some ice and do it that way, still stick the lime in.

Nitro Express
04-30-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm more of a mezcal drinker. A lick of spiced salt, a bite of lime and slam her down. In a few shots you will see God. The best drunk I ever had in my life is when I crawled into a bottle of Oaxaca rot gut in Mazatlan. I think I time traveled on that trip.

DONNIEP
04-30-2012, 09:18 PM
They say that a really "good" tequila is smooth and doesn't taste bad at all. Well, I've bought expensive tequila and I've bough cheap tequila. And I never met an alcohol I didn't like - except for tequila. And I like the hard stuff, just not tequila. But for some reason lots of people I know say they love tequila. Funny thing is I never see any of them drinking it, unless it's in a margarita.

Nitro Express
04-30-2012, 09:24 PM
The cheap tequila is white rum with some real tequila added for flavor. The more expensive kind is uncut. Again, I like the raw smokey mezcal. That's a man's drink. It's not for tuty fruity margaritas. It's to be slammed straight up. What you are going for is the drunk and next to absinthe it's a fun way to get there and the drunk is magical. Almost like you smoked some pot with it.

Nitro Express
04-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Save the worms!

DONNIEP
04-30-2012, 09:41 PM
All right brother - sounds like I'm gonna have to try some mezcal! I'll have to save that for one night when the kid is spending the night with a friend :gulp:

Nickdfresh
04-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Proper Tequila requires no lime or salt...

You are correct sir. Just get really good, complex tequila and one needs no fucking Americano gimmicks...

http://glenoaksus.com/images/thumbs/0000212.jpeg

Sensible Shoes
04-30-2012, 10:02 PM
This is really a nostalgia thing - from college days. I love tequila, and someday will go out and get some of the really good stuff. For now, I want to slam it. And I love lemons.

Nickdfresh
04-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Try the good stuff while eating an orange...

sadaist
04-30-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm more of a mezcal drinker. A lick of spiced salt, a bite of lime and slam her down. In a few shots you will see God. The best drunk I ever had in my life is when I crawled into a bottle of Oaxaca rot gut in Mazatlan. I think I time traveled on that trip.

Ewww!

My, my brother & a buddy tangled with a big bottle of Gusano Rojo in San Felipe once. It will make you hallucinate & do really strange shit. Fuck you up good.

I remember an answer on Jeopardy was "Tequila is a light form of this hallucinogen"

"What is Mezcal?"

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/105599809/Gusano_Rojo_Mezcal_wine.jpg

sadaist
04-30-2012, 10:18 PM
All you could say for the ritual really is that if there was a group of you it got things kicked off but any time I looked around say a table of 12 people, you would have 10 pulling faces and 2 at best tolerating it.

Yeah. Tequila is really only an event type shot to have fun when all your friends do the shot together. Not something you drink all night long. Just to kick off the night or liven it up if you hit a lull in the festivities.

When I have had tequila it's just been either Jose Cuervo or Cuervo 1800. We did have a bottle of Cabo Wabo once at a party that someone brought. Definitely better than Cuervo. But tequila is way too sweet for me anyways. I prefer whiskeys.

Nitro Express
04-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Ewww!

My, my brother & a buddy tangled with a big bottle of Gusano Rojo in San Felipe once. It will make you hallucinate & do really strange shit. Fuck you up good.

I remember an answer on Jeopardy was "Tequila is a light form of this hallucinogen"

"What is Mezcal?"

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/105599809/Gusano_Rojo_Mezcal_wine.jpg

Mezcal is just what you were describing. Gusano Rojo is mezcal it says so on the bottle in the picture you posted. The drunks are amazing off the stuff aren't they?

Nitro Express
04-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Anyone else try pulque? It was what the Aztecs were drinking when the Spanish came. Then the Spanish brought distillation and mezcal and tequila were born.

I got exposed to this on Cozemel. We rented some bungalos and spear fished our dinner and the Mexicans cooked up our fish for us. Man it was excellent and they were drinking pulque. I got hooked.

DONNIEP
05-01-2012, 12:34 AM
This is really a nostalgia thing - from college days. I love tequila, and someday will go out and get some of the really good stuff. For now, I want to slam it. And I love lemons.

Well, if you're just looking to slam it then I'd say Cuervo Gold would do the trick. It's not expensive at all. You'll want to chill the living hell out of it, pour it in a shot glass and knock it down with a beer back. I think Cuervo Gold is like 80 proof so it won't take much at all to send you to the stratosphere. Of course, the next day you'll be in the pit of hell, but that goes with the territory :)

DONNIEP
05-01-2012, 12:58 AM
But if you're looking for a shot that tastes good I'd recommend Sambuca. Much better tasting than tequila, tastes like licorice. Just don't ask for it chilled 'cause every bartender in America is going to add ice and shake the hell out of it. And it'll go from crystal clear to milky white and it changes the flavor. Good stuff. Again, best to pour it into a shot glass with a beer back. The best thing is you can drink it without gagging and regretting it. Well, at least not til the next day.

Nitro Express
05-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Sambuca is like a candied up Ouzo. Sometimes I like to have a shot after dinner. I have some Ouzo that is 110 proof. You can get in real trouble with that stuff because you can pound it and not notice how high the proof is. Then it hits you like a 2x4 over the head. That scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding where the groom's parents get ripped on Ouzo always cracks me up because it really happens.

None of these drinks can match mezcal for a drunk because it acts like a mild hallucigen. You get more than just drunk on it.

ZahZoo
05-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Well, if you're just looking to slam it then I'd say Cuervo Gold would do the trick. It's not expensive at all. You'll want to chill the living hell out of it, pour it in a shot glass and knock it down with a beer back. I think Cuervo Gold is like 80 proof so it won't take much at all to send you to the stratosphere. Of course, the next day you'll be in the pit of hell, but that goes with the territory :)

Cuervo Gold is crap... akin to Boone's Farm wine. It's only 51% agave and the rest is cheap sugar.

If you are going to drink tequila at least make sure it's 100% Agave. A good mid-price (< $30) brand is Sauza Hornitos Reposada.

Contrary to what most think... good tequila will not produce the terrible hangovers that cheap sugar distilled shit like Cuervo will... unless you drink just too damn much!!

Nitro Express
05-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Last time I was in Mexico you could score a fifth of Cuervo Gold for $2-3 US. They were going for about 8,000 pesos. A cheap drunk. The high end Sauza is expensive even south of the border. Of course I think Cuervo Gold has it's place when you have some fine Columbian, a 19 year old, and you want to make tonight a wonderful thing.

DONNIEP
05-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Cuervo Gold is crap... akin to Boone's Farm wine. It's only 51% agave and the rest is cheap sugar.

Well, then that answers my question of why all of the tequilas I've drank have tasted like shit - because they were shit. I'm gonna have to try some of the good stuff now. :gulp:

Seshmeister
05-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Indeed, Cuervo Gold is like the Bacardi of tequila here. A lot of the time that's all a bar will have.

Nitro Express
05-01-2012, 03:17 PM
You are correct sir. Just get really good, complex tequila and one needs no fucking Americano gimmicks...

http://glenoaksus.com/images/thumbs/0000212.jpeg

Yeah but you only drink that expenisve hooch when you are partying over at Ramse's place.

Nitro Express
05-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Well, then that answers my question of why all of the tequilas I've drank have tasted like shit - because they were shit. I'm gonna have to try some of the good stuff now. :gulp:

Someone told me pussy tasted like shit. I told him not to take such big bites.

katina
05-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Mezcal is just what you were describing. Gusano Rojo is mezcal it says so on the bottle in the picture you posted. The drunks are amazing off the stuff aren't they?

I like tequila, but I donīt drink it very often. I have a bottle of Mezcal Benevá, with the worm inside.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-l_5IEv_jsYLfN8RyUi20EzLdyRAusvNR4D510ojCXZs_L0lN

I donīt have any mexican friends, and each time I wants to open the bottle nobody dares to drink it. So I never could tasted it.
After reading this thread I understand why nobody wants it. Thank you.

Nitro Express
05-01-2012, 03:54 PM
"I don't drink mezcal often but when I do it Benev'a." --The Most Interesting Man in the World--

Nitro Express
05-01-2012, 03:58 PM
The nastiest alcohol on the planet is Chinese snake wine. I had to drink some at a birthday party in Hong Kong.

katina
05-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Chinese snake wine????
:barf:

Dan
05-02-2012, 01:55 AM
The Smell Of Tequila Makes Me Sick.:(

sadaist
05-02-2012, 02:34 AM
The nastiest alcohol on the planet is Chinese snake wine. I had to drink some at a birthday party in Hong Kong.

i'm not clicking that.