PDA

View Full Version : Water - cool graphic

Seshmeister
05-10-2012, 06:36 PM
http://boingboing.net/2012/05/10/if-you-put-all-the-water-on-ea.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If you put all the water on Earth in one place
By Maggie Koerth-Baker at 12:16 pm Thursday, May 10

http://boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/global-water-volume-large-600x575.jpg

Put all the water on this planet into a single sphere and it would have a diameter of about 860 miles, says the United States Geological Survey. For reference, that's roughly the distance between Salt Lake City, Utah, and Topeka, Kansas.

About 70 percent of the Earth's surface is water-covered, and the oceans hold about 96.5 percent of all Earth's water. But water also exists in the air as water vapor, in rivers and lakes, in icecaps and glaciers, in the ground as soil moisture and earthgwaquifer.html, and even in you and your dog. Still, all that water would fit into that "tiny" ball. The ball is actually much larger than it looks like on your computer monitor or printed page because we're talking about volume, a 3-dimensional shape, but trying to show it on a flat, 2-dimensional screen or piece of paper. That tiny water bubble has a diameter of about 860 miles, meaning the height (towards your vision) would be 860 miles high, too! That is a lot of water.

I really like this illustration because it shows off an important concept: Whether a number represents "a lot" of something or "a little" is pretty damn relative. As the USGS says, that is, in fact, a lot of water. But it also makes for a surprisingly little ball.

clarathecarrot
05-10-2012, 09:12 PM
If these scientist who you speak of...whattever...pfft..are so smart why don't they see what it would look like to take all the earth type stuff non-water material, rocks, the core, all the land and place it next to this water sphere and show us what that would look like...

I think that would be much more interesting.

Seshmeister
05-10-2012, 09:27 PM
They have above...

clarathecarrot
05-10-2012, 09:38 PM
They have above...

Sesh, I wasn't carrying any animosity over from any other thread. ( only lounge getsme to carry over conflicts) that tool) I was not slamming your thread, here.

It is a cool pic, but I was thinking the idea as I mentioned was also cool and it would be a interesting
comparison pic grafic.

ashstralia
05-10-2012, 10:23 PM
did you know you could fit all of the earth's population into a cube 1 km on each side?

clarathecarrot
05-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Lets do it!

Seshmeister
05-11-2012, 05:44 AM
Sesh, I wasn't carrying any animosity over from any other thread. ( only lounge getsme to carry over conflicts) that tool) I was not slamming your thread, here.

It is a cool pic, but I was thinking the idea as I mentioned was also cool and it would be a interesting
comparison pic grafic.

But they have. Everything apart from the water is what is shown above, the big Earth sphere beside the water.

ashstralia
05-11-2012, 06:56 AM
and it's fantastic how that small ball of H2O covers 70 odd % of our surface.

when those polar bits start melting, i'm gonna have water views.

Seshmeister
05-11-2012, 07:22 AM
The other weird factoid is that despite Mount Everest and so on the Earth is actually smoother than a pool ball if they were both the same size.

ZahZoo
05-11-2012, 11:18 AM
But they have. Everything apart from the water is what is shown above, the big Earth sphere beside the water.

LMAO... once again proved some people can't see the forest for the trees!!

ashstralia
05-11-2012, 11:26 PM
The other weird factoid is that despite Mount Everest and so on the Earth is actually smoother than a pool ball if they were both the same size.

this is true Dr. Sesh. and if you put mars' olympus mons on earth to scale, it would be something like 10 kms high.

aah, the universe is a wonder...

private parts
05-14-2012, 11:22 AM
did you know you could fit all of the earth's population into a cube 1 km on each side?

Did you know if you put 7 billion people standing shoulder to shoulder they would take up a space approximately the size of Los Angeles County.

Seshmeister
05-14-2012, 02:11 PM
http://static.persquaremile.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/the-worlds-population-concentrated-small.png

LoungeMachine
05-14-2012, 02:34 PM

irony.

:gulp:

ThrillsNSpills
05-14-2012, 02:44 PM
If all the Pabst Blue Ribbon beer was concentrated in one city how many miles would someone have to ride, crash, and ride again to get to it and make it scarce?

jhale667
05-14-2012, 02:48 PM
If all the Pabst Blue Ribbon beer was concentrated in one city how many miles would someone have to ride, crash, and ride again to get to it and make it scarce?

More importantly, how much of the world's PBR is currently stashed in THOMOcarrot's trailer? :hee:

ThrillsNSpills
05-14-2012, 02:49 PM
shhhh secret footage of clara going home after a heavy night of bar hopping.

sadaist
05-14-2012, 03:12 PM
shhhh secret footage of clara going home after a heavy night of bar hopping.

:lmao:

It knocked off his shoe!

sadaist
05-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Did you know if you put 7 billion people standing shoulder to shoulder they would take up a space approximately the size of Los Angeles County.

LA County is pretty big. (looking at Sesh's graphic) shoulder to shoulder is more dense than paris so yeah....I bet you're right.

sadaist
05-14-2012, 03:17 PM

If we get squished into a cube, I'm calling DIBS on the spot right behind heather Thomas. NAKED CUBE FTW!!!!!

Seshmeister
05-14-2012, 03:52 PM
LMAO... once again proved some people can't see the forest for the trees!!

:biggrin:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/431585_201807699927272_129869490454427_353700_3616 62749_n.jpg

sadaist
05-14-2012, 04:21 PM
:biggrin:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/431585_201807699927272_129869490454427_353700_3616 62749_n.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

WTF are they doing to that poor owl? Man he looks pissed. He's definitely plotting revenge.

SWEET REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

clarathecarrot
05-14-2012, 04:38 PM
More importantly, how much of the world's PBR is currently stashed in THOMOcarrot's trailer? :hee:

I had to buy one of those extra little 4 cubic foot fridges just for the rationing quota, since the liquor store came down on me for putting them into the ,"bad" tax bracket.

20 cents on the dollar for food stamps ain't getting it done.

Nitro Express
05-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I have a friend who lived in Brazil for awhile and about ten years ago he was buying assets down there like crazy. I thought it was on the risky side but he said Brazil was coming around and they have 18% of the world's fresh water. He knew what he was doing. Just the water resources in the future will make Brazil valuable for a long time in the future. The only question is who will control it.

clarathecarrot
05-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Dang,... so that's how you do it, my long term speculative monetary investments have been beer......by the 18 pack.

I did by the fridge for protection of the investment....there just might be a ,"sunrise".

Nitro Express
05-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Dang,... so that's how you do it, my long term speculative monetary investments have been beer......by the 18 pack.

I did by the fridge for protection of the investment....there just might be a ,"sunrise".

Beer is tough. There is a lot of competition and getting the shelving allowances is a bitch. It's hard to break into the big markets. It's even hard to be the big dog in your local micro brew markets.

If you brew your beer on site and have topless beer winches serve it and have a big enough place and some decent chicken wings. You might be able to pull it off. But don't forget parking. I have a friend who has a good joint but he has no parking. It's hurting his business.

clarathecarrot
05-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Beer is tough. There is a lot of competition and getting the shelving allowances is a bitch. It's hard to break into the big markets. It's even hard to be the big dog in your local micro brew markets.

If you brew your beer on site and have topless beer winches serve it and have a big enough place and some decent chicken wings. You might be able to pull it off. But don't forget parking. I have a friend who has a good joint but he has no parking. It's hurting his business.

Only about 2% of the places here in my town, have what i would call the right for the establishment parking, stand alone building or strip malls, still have issues with parking .In my mind the parking lot is important asset #1.

I call it curb appeal if I drive up and don't like the street or the yard I probably won't like the house ( relating to residential real estate here)

If you put the best bar on the best parking lot and my customers had to pull onto a major highway I wouldn't buy it.

The customer is #1.

Rock on with the microbrew tittie bar idea I will confirm, you thought of it first...and then drive to where you are and work the kitchen dish machine.

Rock On.

jhale667
05-14-2012, 05:30 PM
If we get squished into a cube, I'm calling DIBS on the spot right behind heather Thomas. NAKED CUBE FTW!!!!!

She's getting a little long in the tooth these days, don't think you'll have much in the way of objections...me, I'm going next gen and calling dibs on the spot behind Kate Upton. :eatit:

ZahZoo
05-15-2012, 10:32 AM

Raises an age old question... if drinking and driving is illegal... why do bars have parking lots..?

Nitro Express
05-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Raises an age old question... if drinking and driving is illegal... why do bars have parking lots..?

If you are in the restaurant business one of your biggest money maker items is drinks. Many establishments will have access to the bar from the waiting room. Then you are served wine with dinner and then you finish with after drink cocktails. I think people actually drive home more fucked from restaurants than bars.

In bars people might have a beer or two mostly. I've seen more drunks at four star restaurants than I have in bars.

Why do you have parking lots? To make money. Sure you have the places in the older parts of town that have only street parking but unless your customers are riding public transportation or walking you are going to need a parking lot to maximize your business.

private parts
05-15-2012, 01:45 PM
She's getting a little long in the tooth these days, don't think you'll have much in the way of objections...me, I'm going next gen and calling dibs on the spot behind Kate Upton. :eatit:

Maybe Kate can dance in the cube.

sadaist
05-15-2012, 03:20 PM

Hmm...true. But I don't care. It's still her.

LoungeMachine
05-15-2012, 03:53 PM
If you are in the restaurant business one of your biggest money maker items is drinks. Many establishments will have access to the bar from the waiting room. Then you are served wine with dinner and then you finish with after drink cocktails. I think people actually drive home more fucked from restaurants than bars.

In bars people might have a beer or two mostly. I've seen more drunks at four star restaurants than I have in bars.

Why do you have parking lots? To make money. Sure you have the places in the older parts of town that have only street parking but unless your customers are riding public transportation or walking you are going to need a parking lot to maximize your business.

I'm sure it was meant as a joke......

clarathecarrot
05-15-2012, 05:26 PM

and then there is the tits on a boar hog thing...someone please tell us why...

LoungeMachine
05-15-2012, 07:32 PM

Congrats.....

You were able to steer a thread to your liking....again.

clarathecarrot
05-15-2012, 07:52 PM
I am sorry about the, water ball, earth image. I tried to relate to the original post by wondering if the earth compared to the water would also, be a good idea .I, also said, I was just commenting not trying to change the tone of the thread.I just think these comparison jpeg's are cool and suggested another idea jpeg, that could be of interest to posters here....?

I do thank you,.. if I did steer this thread in a bad direction for bringing it back to what you said about me steering it away.

ZahZoo
05-16-2012, 03:17 PM

The original mammal design team knew they were on to something wonderful when they came up with the whole concept of tits... so they added them onto males as ornamentation just out pride...

ZahZoo
05-16-2012, 03:26 PM
I am sorry about the, water ball, earth image. I tried to relate to the original post by wondering if the earth compared to the water would also, be a good idea .I, also said, I was just commenting not trying to change the tone of the thread.I just think these comparison jpeg's are cool and suggested another idea jpeg, that could be of interest to posters here....?

If you want to reverse the concept... bring the original picture up on your screen, take a mirror and stand with your back to the monitor and view it in the mirror. No, not your back... the picture on your screen. Then position the mirror directly in front of your face and stare deeply into the mirror and repeat slowly and clearly... I really am a dumbass...