PDA

View Full Version : Slash appreciation thread.

gbranton
05-11-2012, 03:12 AM
OK, before now I had a little trouble with this. Out of all the people who ever played Marshall amps Slash was the first guy they ever endorsed? I didn't understand it at the time. Let's call tonight another brick in the wall of understanding. Seeing him play the awesome Guns songs, coupled with his solo stuff and Velvet Revolver he REALLY kicked my behind. And kicked it HARD. Dude was GREAT and so was Miles Kennedy. Video is from my camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=164qnKKNsYw&feature=youtu.be

binnie
05-11-2012, 04:24 AM
When you're sillouette is recognizeable, you know you're an icon.

I like Slash's playing for a lot of reasons: 1) he had the confidence not to be an Eddie clone in the 80s and do his own thing; 2) he knows when not to play, and that less is sometimes more 3) he is from the Angus Young belt 'em out school of guitar playing and 4) he'w written some epic riffs, when he often doesn't get credit for.

Seshmeister
05-11-2012, 05:49 AM
I just went for one and it was quite satisfying.

ashstralia
05-11-2012, 06:11 AM
saul has to be in the 'great guitarists' category.

the end.

ZahZoo
05-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Sorry guys I just don't see the greatness... not saying he's a hack by any means... he's a very good hard rock guitar player.

The best way to describe it is he's the cream of the crop at playing generic hard rock... but there's no definitive style, signature sound/tone or anything really remarkable that makes him stand out... beyond the hat. My take he's like the guys who are excellent guitar players in thousands of rock cover bands... can hit the right notes, bends, quick runs, etc... but never produce anything remotely original.

I think he just showed up in the wrong decade... had he been around in the 70's he would of ranked at the top in hard rock. He just showed up 18 years too late...

binnie
05-11-2012, 11:40 AM
I know what you mean about traditional stlye - i.e. blues rock - but I think it's unfair to say there's no unique style or tone. You KNOW that sound in 2 bars, the tone is so distinctive. As for style, 'Sweet Child O'Mine' - THAT riff? It's putting a spin on the tradition, you know.

I think it's easy to get carried away with the term 'Great'. No-one would list Slash as the greatest/most influential player - and he's clearly embaraased when people do - but he's quite an axeman, and the energy he brings is unreal.

To me, however, what marks him out is emotion - the lead work on 'Estranged' cuts right through me.

vandeleur
05-11-2012, 12:08 PM
for my own sanity i try to divide these things up in to guitarist or song writer ... slash plays blues rock and and no offence his stuff has been all heard before .. am not saying thats bad he just isnt an innovator . Were he does come up smelling of roses ( pun intended) is his songs and riffs he has written some great tunes ... to joe shmo who heard of slash cos of guitar hero he is great, to most of us who play or a listen to more than your average ammount of music have a better understanding of where he sits ....... And this is from experience of many a slash is the greatest guitarist ever argument from people who only own g&r greatest hits......... and dont get me started on the famous vai vs angus young blood bath we had a couple of years ago in the pub were i managed to argue both sides and still lose.

So this is love
05-11-2012, 12:37 PM
All SLASH needed was a singer who was better than average now he has Miles Kennedy, I think they sound great together. Looking forward to listen to their music in the future.

clarathecarrot
05-11-2012, 12:41 PM
All SLASH needed was a singer who was better than average now he has Miles Kennedy, I think they sound great together. Looking forward to listen to their music in the future.

Playing here tomorrow..kennedy has a great voice slash great guitarist .

Wish I was going but just can't.

Largest one day rock music, event in america..15 bands 2 stages 5$ beer..good times.
http://www.rockfestkc.com/home/

binnie
05-11-2012, 12:59 PM

The album is out May 21st (welll, the Classic Rock 'Fan Pack' edition with the magazine/extra goodies is). I'm hoping it's decent because Miles has a hell of a set of pipes - I just wonder if Slash actually needs a bit of antagonism to produce his best stuff......

SparkieD
05-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Slash Appreciation thread? You're just joking, right?

fourthcoming
05-11-2012, 01:58 PM
As long as Slash continues to play with Miles kennedy Velvet Revolver will remain officially dead. He's not going to Join VR and it doesnt seem like Slash is too concerned with finding a replacement singer for the band.

So this is love
05-11-2012, 02:10 PM
The album is out May 21st (welll, the Classic Rock 'Fan Pack' edition with the magazine/extra goodies is). I'm hoping it's decent because Miles has a hell of a set of pipes - I just wonder if Slash actually needs a bit of antagonism to produce his best stuff......

You`re a lie rocks...

So this is love
05-11-2012, 02:14 PM
As long as Slash continues to play with Miles kennedy Velvet Revolver will remain officially dead. He's not going to Join VR and it doesnt seem like Slash is too concerned with finding a replacement singer for the band.

If I were Slash I would stick with Miles Kennedy and forget about VR.

fourthcoming
05-11-2012, 02:15 PM
If I were Slash I would stick with Miles Kennedy and forget about VR.

I think he already has.

binnie
05-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Look at it like this: will he make much more money in VR than on his own? Probably not, so why go through the hassle.

Dave's Bitch
05-12-2012, 06:12 AM
I appreciate Slash :)

binnie
05-12-2012, 06:50 AM
This thread made me delve back into my collection.

A few thoughts:

1) The second Slash's Snakepit album - 'Ain't Life Grand' - is an under-appreciated classic which rocks like a hooker on meth. Fucking dirty, dirty, nasty rock 'n' roll delivered through great, great songs. I reviewed in the 'Album Reviews' thread a while back, but every time I hear it I'm always struck by how good it is.

2) The central riff in 'Coma' is epic. That really was something of a masterpiece for Guns.....

3) Velvet Revolver never worked with a producer who knew how to capture guitar tones.

4) The little acoustic tune with Rob Del Luca on Slash's first solo CD is probably the best thing on it.

ashstralia
05-12-2012, 07:09 AM
i'll say again.. one of the all time greats at any paradigm of comparison. Zah nailed it... if the dude was hitting his straps in 1969, he could've out jimi'd jimi.

or not.:)

78/84 guy
05-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Innovator ? Nope. Great guitarist ? Hell yes ! Great tone & at least a couple dozen great songs in alot of different styles. I love his playing. You could make an argument to put him in the top 20 easy. Robert Johnson, Albert King, hell all the Kings, Hendrix, Eddie. After that for me it's a free for all for picking. Rhoads & Tommy Bolin come to mind for me.

Seshmeister
05-12-2012, 08:24 PM
From what I've heard of his post GNR work, his solo stuff pisses all over Velvet Revolver who I always found totally mediocre. Maybe VR have some hidden gems but I had lost interest by that point.

78/84 guy
05-12-2012, 11:36 PM
From what I've heard of his post GNR work, his solo stuff pisses all over Velvet Revolver who I always found totally mediocre. Maybe VR have some hidden gems but I had lost interest by that point.

Mediocre ? I think they are both strong ! Alot of it is down the same avenue though. There is no reason to go back to that band with a different singer though. Just do the solo stuff. His new dvd is fantastic. Great band & Myles is a great singer.

binnie
05-13-2012, 05:17 AM

I'd have to agree - although I think 'mediocre' is a little harsh.

I wrote a review of the first VR record in which I essentially said that the legacy of the members was crucial towards my attitude: 'I like this, even though I know a lot of it is not terribly good'.

Seshmeister
05-13-2012, 05:21 AM
Is there a huge difference between 'not terribly good' and 'mediocre'?

Dave's Bitch
05-13-2012, 06:24 AM
I think slash should keep Miles kennedy,Bring Duff and Matt Sorum back and be Velvet Revolver mark 2 or something.It feel's odd saying the new Slash DVD as opposed to saying the new insert band name here one.

Well what i really think is Slash should get back with Axl ;)

binnie
05-13-2012, 06:47 AM
Is there a huge difference between 'not terribly good' and 'mediocre'?

Yes: one is said by a fan; the other by an observer :D

I think what I'd say is this: VR failed - almost inevitably - to live up to expectations, but they were never 'average'. 'Patchy', certainly, but not average or mediocre.

binnie
05-13-2012, 06:49 AM
I think slash should keep Miles kennedy,Bring Duff and Matt Sorum back and be Velvet Revolver mark 2 or something.It feel's odd saying the new Slash DVD as opposed to saying the new insert band name here one.

Well what i really think is Slash should get back with Axl ;)

I definitely think Slash/Matt/Duff should continue to work together. Myles is terrific, but I think Slash might be better with someone who has a less showy voice.

I actually thought that Ian Astbury did the best job (or the hard rockers) on the first solo record. A more gritty voice suits Slash's sound.

Seshmeister
05-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Yeah but does Slash want to work with a singer who is a prick again?

I think he's already done his fair share of that...

Dave's Bitch
05-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Slash should hook up with Duff and Matt and John Corabi in for vocals and rhythm

binnie
05-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah but does Slash want to work with a singer who is a prick again?

I think he's already done his fair share of that...

I think that plays a huge role in his decision to work with Miles.

Shit, when you're pushing 50 why would you want the hassle....

Seshmeister
05-13-2012, 03:02 PM
I don't know if it was deliberate or just shear fucking stupidity but at the Cult gig here last year Astbury almost managed to turn a hugely enthusiastic positive crowd against them by being incredibly obnoxious in between songs.

binnie
05-13-2012, 03:34 PM
In what way?

(I'm quite jealous: I've never seen The Cult).

Dave's Bitch
05-16-2012, 05:33 AM
Thought i had to share this clip of slash.Made me spit my coffee out laughing :).They actually have to get the tech's to come and say "ok slash,reel it in buddy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lxN7x8JVKM&feature=endscreen

78/84 guy
05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
I just picked up his new CD. Great stuff. Myles is a good singer. If you like rock straight up and of course Slash pick it up. Love it. LOUD HELPED ! New Bonnamassa is up next.

gbranton
05-23-2012, 01:24 AM
I listened to the samples of it online and was pretty impressed. I am thinking I am going to own it.

binnie
05-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Will be picking it up on Saturday.....

ashstralia
05-23-2012, 05:53 AM
Will be picking it up on Saturday.....

can't wait to read your review... :yo:

ashstralia
05-23-2012, 06:04 AM
I don't know if it was deliberate or just shear fucking stupidity but at the Cult gig here last year Astbury almost managed to turn a hugely enthusiastic positive crowd against them by being incredibly obnoxious in between songs.

hey sesh, i've noticed that you've related other incidences of bands treating you shabbily. are the people in your part of the world mostly friendly?

or is it like torquay, and there's a lot of basils? :)

Seshmeister
05-23-2012, 07:57 AM
In what way?

(I'm quite jealous: I've never seen The Cult).

"Oooch aye the noo Glasgow. Yeeeee ken am Scottish ta ma gran is from Glusga."

Between every song in an accent that would have made Scotty from Star Trek or Russ Abbot blush.

It wasn't just the put on accent it was pricky chat too. I'm not totally sure if he was a just dick trying to be friendly, or deliberately trying to be a smartass but it definitely came across as the later to me, the people I was with and much of the audience.

Seshmeister
05-23-2012, 08:01 AM
hey sesh, i've noticed that you've related other incidences of bands treating you shabbily. are the people in your part of the world mostly friendly?

or is it like torquay, and there's a lot of basils? :)

Definitely friendly with a little belligerence and used by many international bands and comedians for live recordings over the years.

Maybe its an age thing but I don't take well to bands fucking around with the audience these days if nothing else because they are charging a lot of money now, half of us have had to go to a lot of hassle with babysitters, work, or whatever to struggle out and lets face it very few of the artists are still at the peak of their abilities.

Angel
05-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Definitely friendly with a little belligerence and used by many international bands and comedians for live recordings over the years.

Maybe its an age thing but I don't take well to bands fucking around with the audience these days if nothing else because they are charging a lot of money now, half of us have had to go to a lot of hassle with babysitters, work, or whatever to struggle out and lets face it very few of the artists are still at the peak of their abilities.

I hear ya, Sesh. The opener for Dave's "Diamond Dave" show kept calling us motherfuckers. I was ready to kill the bastard by the time they got off the stage.

Von Halen
11-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I was walking by the CD's in Best Buy yesterday, and I see the Slash featuring Myles Kennedy Live Made In Stoke 24/7/11 sitting there, so I bought it. Myles Kennedy sounds phenominal, as usual, and Slash and the band are terrific.

Fairwrning
11-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Im sorry but this flat out kicks ass...

78/84 guy
11-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Im sorry but this flat out kicks ass...

Sorry for what ? Slash is an amazing guitarist. Myles is a great performer. What more do you want ? Fat Axhole ? I'll take this band. Slash has no interest in A Gun's reunion tour from what he said on Sterns show a few months ago. Thank god. His live album kicks ass from last year.

binnie
11-16-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm glad Slash is out doing this, and I enjoy it. But for my money although he has great pipes Myles is just a bit too 'nice' to pull of the Guns songs..............

Still, it's better than nothing.

Terry
11-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I would agree that his emergence in the late 1980s was a bit refreshing inasmuch as it was a welcome respite from a half-decade deluge of Eddie Van Halen clones wanking off flash licks on Charvels...as was suggested, Slash was a throwback to a simpler, 1970s blues-based rock style.
Very little of what he's done post-Axl strikes me as memorable, though, and this includes Velvet Revolver. He's also managed to be a viable rock commodity far longer than many of his contemporaries, although most of this has been achieved through various areas (such as Guitar Hero) that represent the pussification of rock music to me...however, it is probably a bit churlish of me to fault the guy for finding a way to make a buck.
Overall, I wouldn't say he sucks, but I'd be hard-pressed to rank him among even my own top 50 list of favorite rock guitarists...MAYBE in the top 100 somewhere...

So this is love
11-16-2012, 10:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJOUZKZjHqI

Terry ...are you out of your mind? damn! I appreciate and read your comments but Fuck do I agree to disagree with this one...Slash is in my top 5 of all time when all considered

Terry
11-16-2012, 10:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJOUZKZjHqI

Terry ...are you out of your mind? damn! I appreciate and read your comments but Fuck do I agree to disagree with this one...Slash is in my top 5 of all time when all considered

I can dig that. Music appreciation is all subjective, far as I can tell. While I generally detest ranking musicians (as if musicianship were some kind of sport), I would say that far as my own criteria of my favorite guitarists goes, versatility and innovation is a part of it. Hard blues rock licks played on a Les Paul through a Marshall amp might have fallen within those parameters in the 1960s or 1970s, but by the time Slash hit the scene his whole style and sound was something that was a bit too derivative of what had come before for me to really hurl accolades his way on any grand scale...
I mean, hey, the guy is no slouch. He contributed to some great stuff on those early GnR albums. He has a highly visible, iconic image. By many accounts he's a massive success in the rock music field. The fact that his playing doesn't do as much for me as it does for you is no biggie...one of the things I enjoy about music is the reaction factor: it's almost chemical for me. It either moves me or it doesn't. I appreciate that you like what he does...it's cool that his stuff is something that moves you.

So this is love
11-16-2012, 10:55 PM
all is good ... we're not talking Al di Meola or Allan Holsdworth...I consider presence, entertainement and originality in determining who will get my money for a ticket...I mean we all work for our money and when it comes to buy a concert ticket I need to have a party for me and my friends........I went to three concert this year VH, SLASH and RUSH...Had a blast at the VH and Slash show but not Rush...but like you said music appreciation is all subjective...Cheers!

binnie
11-17-2012, 08:53 AM
The best album he did post-Guns was the 2nd Slash's Snakepit record - 'Ain't Life Grand' (I reviewed it in the 'Album Reviews' thread). That is one HELLUVA record....

78/84 guy
11-17-2012, 10:07 AM
The best album he did post-Guns was the 2nd Slash's Snakepit record - 'Ain't Life Grand' (I reviewed it in the 'Album Reviews' thread). That is one HELLUVA record....

Yea, it's down & dirty. And expensive on Ebay ! I don't think they stamped a ton of them.

silverfish
03-09-2024, 07:41 AM
Slash Announces Star-Studded Blues Covers LP 'Orgy of the Damned'
Out May 17

Slash, 'Orgy of the Damned' Track Listing

1. “The Pusher” feat. Chris Robinson (vocal and harmonica)
Written by Wayne Hoyt Axton

2. “Crossroads” feat. Gary Clark Jr. (vocal, rhythm guitar and solo)
Written by Robert Leroy Johnson

3. “Hoochie Coochie Man” feat. Billy F. Gibbons (vocal, rhythm guitar and solo)
Written by Willie Dixon

4. “Oh Well” feat. Chris Stapleton (vocal)
Written by Peter Alan Green

5. “Key to the Highway” feat. Dorothy (vocal)
Written by Charles Segar, William Broonzy

6. “Awful Dream” feat. Iggy Pop (vocal)
Written by Sam (Lightnin’) Hopkins, Clarence Lewis, C. Morgan Robinson

7. “Born Under a Bad Sign” feat. Paul Rodgers (vocal)
Written by William Bell and Booker T. Jones

8. “Papa Was a Rolling Stone” feat. Demi Lovato (vocal)
Written by Barrett Strong and Jesse Norman Whitfield

9. “Killing Floor” feat. Brian Johnson (vocal) - VIDEO below
Written by Chester Burnett (Howlin' Wolf)
*Special guest Steven Tyler on harmonica

10. “Living for the City” feat. Tash Neal (vocal)
Written by Stevie Wonder
*Special guest background vocals: Jenna Bell and Jessie Payo

11. “Stormy Monday” feat. Beth Hart (vocal)
Written by T-Bone Walker

12. “Metal Chestnut”
Written by Slash

Full story at:
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-orgy-of-the-damned/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAxBEfKeOzw

Terry
03-09-2024, 04:32 PM
That version of Killing Floor was about as uninspired and generic as any I've ever heard.

But wait, you say...Slash got a couple of black guys to play on the track, so it sounds WAY authentic...

Nope.

If I walked into a bar and heard the exact same thing played by a bunch of local geezers, it wouldn't even cross my mind that I was hearing anything worth remembering much less exceptional.

In all fairness, Tyler's harmonica solo is adequate and at least Brian Johnson isn't trying to sing it in his AC/DC Back In Black guttural warble.

Plus, Myles Kennedy is still a ball sucking poser, albeit with a decent rock voice.

silverfish
03-09-2024, 05:21 PM
That version of Killing Floor was about as uninspired and generic as any I've ever heard.

If I walked into a bar and heard the exact same thing played by a bunch of local geezers, it wouldn't even cross my mind that I was hearing anything worth remembering much less exceptional.

After a couple listens I'll agree that it's not groundbreaking but it does have a certain kinda funky
vibe that grabs me and I already added it to my Spotify playlist.

Am looking forward to some of the other tracks.

In all fairness, Tyler's harmonica solo is adequate

Yeah, I like how Tyler sneaked in some howls during the harp parts.

...at least Brian Johnson isn't trying to sing it in his AC/DC Back In Black guttural warble.

My first listen it sorta sounded like Tom Jones vocals.

Slash On Why He Asked Brian Johnson Not To Use ‘AC/DC Voice’ On ‘Killing Floor’ Cover
https://rockcelebrities.net/slash-on-why-he-asked-brian-johnson-not-to-use-ac-dc-voice-on-killing-floor-cover/

Kristy
03-09-2024, 05:35 PM
Yay! Nothing but cover songs. Slash is a joke.

Nitro Express
03-09-2024, 06:45 PM
I met Slash at the Sundance Film Festival. The guy had ZERO of that celebrity bullshit. He was just a regular guy. I had to explain Utah drinking laws to him. I go here you don’t buy a drink. You buy a drunk. You have to bring your own hard liquor but you can come into this place with a fifth of Jack Daniel's and nobody will care. He’s like really? He goes shit, you can’t even do that in Hollywood.

Nitro Express
03-09-2024, 06:49 PM
Is Slash a great guitarist? No. He understood the game. He came up with a cool look that made him stand out and he was in a band that could create some songs people liked. He’s been quite adept at marketing his image.

Nitro Express
03-09-2024, 06:51 PM
There’s lots of talented musicians who can’t market for shit. Only a few nerds care about how good you really are. The general public want something cool. They want to be entertained.

Nitro Express
03-09-2024, 06:54 PM
If you can’t play Link Wray’s Rumble and have everyone talk about how cool you were become an accountant.

Nitro Express
03-09-2024, 07:01 PM
https://youtu.be/UtS5ZSCDIoU?si=pgm3nsNgfqsAYl-p

Mushroom
03-09-2024, 08:29 PM
Come on Slash, give us some fucking Rock and Roll riffs and solos! I grew up on classic G&R. If I want to hear this shit, I’ll play some Zepp, Cream, and Allman Bros Band.

Isn’t there a video of Slash and John Mayer jamming the blues, and John Mayer mops the floor with Slash’s hair?!

Mushroom
03-09-2024, 08:34 PM
Yay! Nothing but cover songs. Slash is a joke.

Actually, the joke is on you! :973: :579:

Slash has made a career and a name for himself.

Terry
03-09-2024, 09:11 PM
Is Slash a great guitarist? No. He understood the game. He came up with a cool look that made him stand out and he was in a band that could create some songs people liked. He’s been quite adept at marketing his image.

I wouldn't deny the enduring quality of Slash's commercial success...it'd be retarded to even try.

Terry
03-09-2024, 09:12 PM

Yeah, but that Killing Floor version is shit.

Mick Jagger and David Bowie made careers and names for themselves. Didn't make their cover of Dancing In The Streets any less lame. Nobody bats 1000.

Nitro Express
03-09-2024, 09:49 PM
Ah Slash is using different amps and they don’t sound as good as the Marshall’s but what the hell, he’s made his mark already but anyone who thinks he’s in the top ten of guitar players is a dumb ass. He’s going through an experimental phase because he can.

Kristy
03-10-2024, 03:57 PM

He is the most boring guitar player ever. Well....maybe next to his guy:
https://callnewspapers.com/wp-content/uploads/Tom-Scholz-e1498616758778-900x900.jpg

Nitro Express
03-10-2024, 04:31 PM
He looked cool with the top hat and low slung Les Paul and got with some guys who managed to get one album full of songs people liked out at a time people were getting sick of the spandex show. Also having a few videos on MTV didn’t hurt. The band popped its load pretty quick but Slash rode the image the longest.

Nitro Express
03-10-2024, 04:33 PM
The Rose Gun blasted hard and Slash was the sperm that wouldn’t die.

Mushroom
03-10-2024, 05:14 PM
He is the most boring guitar player ever. Well....maybe next to his guy:
https://callnewspapers.com/wp-content/uploads/Tom-Scholz-e1498616758778-900x900.jpg

I’m not sure who that is

Terry
03-10-2024, 05:14 PM
He looked cool with the top hat and low slung Les Paul and got with some guys who managed to get one album full of songs people liked out at a time people were getting sick of the spandex show. Also having a few videos on MTV didn’t hurt. The band popped its load pretty quick but Slash rode the image the longest.

Can't disagree with most of that.

Guns had one truly awesome album. Still holds up.

Always thought the top hat looked a bit dumb, but at least it wasn't yet another dude with hair extensions wearing spandex and playing a Charvel. Slash's look did prove to be iconic.

Guns worked best for me with that Appetite lineup. Visually, doubtless Rose and Slash were the standouts. Far as the record, I dug what everybody was doing. Even Adler's drumming. Slash had some good, straight-up lead guitar stuff on the album but Izzy had plenty of good stuff on there as well.

Proof of it was once that Appetite lineup or formula or whatever started to get altered, it was never quite as good. Really, it was never quite as good once the band tasted the massive success of Appetite. It was amusing at the time to see and hear the band go over the top via the bloated Use Your Illusions records...it was a very "rock and roll, man!" thing for them to do, but I could barely get through listening to those records at the time and wouldn't even bother trying today. Too many filler tracks between the two records, and even the best of both Illusions albums isn't quite as good as Appetite. Not quite the Boston/Tom Scholtz syndrome where that band or that guy (didn't Scholtz basically play virtually all the instruments on the first album?) only had one really great album in him, but Guns were reminiscent of Boston in that the first album is clearly and by far their best.

The vast bulk of what Slash has done after Illusions - even including Velvet Revolver - is utterly disposable to my ears in that none of what I have heard of that stuff ever made me want to hear it twice.

Mushroom
03-10-2024, 05:20 PM
Yeah, but that Killing Floor version is shit.

Mick Jagger and David Bowie made careers and names for themselves. Didn't make their cover of Dancing In The Streets any less lame. Nobody bats 1000.

Slash wasted time and energy trying to recreate something that didn’t need to be done.

I was 14 when Jagger and Bowie did Dancing In the Streets. I already knew VH made the definitive version. I was too immature to really know what gay or queer was. Today, the Jagger and Bowie collaboration is about cringey gay as it comes.

Nitro Express
03-10-2024, 07:50 PM
Guns hit hard because they were different. I never got why everyone thought Slash was something special but I think I know why he's liked. Like I said, I met him and he's likable. Slash is just there and has no attitude. Sometimes not selling sells. There's a cool factor to him people dig. Anyways he's doing something right, he lives in Holmby Hills which is the rich part of Beverly Hills. Slash is selling something. Property tax ain't cheap where he lives.

Nitro Express
03-10-2024, 07:53 PM
It always amazed me you could have someone extremely talented and had the look and moves and everything and they go down in flames and you can have a mediocre talent and they do great and have a long career. Sammy Hagar being a good example of the latter.

Seshmeister
03-10-2024, 09:13 PM
Anyways he's doing something right, he lives in Holmby Hills which is the rich part of Beverly Hills. Slash is selling something. Property tax ain't cheap where he lives.

Property tax? What are you talking about he's sold over 100 million fucking albums. :D

Seshmeister
03-10-2024, 09:15 PM
Looking back for a band of 'crazy out of control people' it's kind of suspicious how many good decisions they made business wise. Also I knew a fair number of people who did drink a bottle of JD every day like Slash claimed to and I've done similar myself but none of them had a six pack like he did. More recently of course we were all begging someone to tell him to put a shirt on. When Use Your Illusion came out we were all thinking there is maybe one very good album in here not 2 double albums but of course it was business genius because they made 4 times as much money. There was no point in holding back that material for later releases because they were never going to last a long time before imploding.

Nitro Express
03-11-2024, 02:26 AM
Property tax? What are you talking about he's sold over 100 million fucking albums. :D

The taxes on that kind of property a year are substantial. Many people are selling because of California taxes. You have to have a decent cash flow to stay there. Appetite for Destruction was a long time ago and as you know it’s all how the contract is written. You have to have some damn good royalties to live in a major property in Holmby Hills. Most rock stars don’t live there because of the expense. You live there if you own oil or are a major shareholder in something. The only other musician I know who lived there was Rod Stewart and he’s selling. People are getting out of California because of the taxes.

Seshmeister
03-11-2024, 06:53 AM
Fact check

Slash moved out of the Holmby Hills to Encino 14 miles away after selling his house to a rapper 7 years ago when he was getting divorced.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-encino-mansion/

The annual property tax on the $6.25 million house is @ 0.77% so around $48k a year.

Since he was divorced then we know how much he was making at that point or more likely the minimum he could show he was making which was $345k per month.

https://www.alternativenation.net/guns-n-roses-slash-reveals-much-money-makes-per-month/#google_vignette

Since then his income will have gone up massively with the GNR tour grossing $500 million!

He has to pay $100k a month alimony to his ex wife I don't think property tax was ever even a minor fucking conncern for Slash... :)

The real congratulations must go to the ex wife Perla who somehow bagged a $3 million house, $6.6 million in cash as well as $100,000 per month in spousal support and $39,000 per month in child support. Even in her prime back in the day she was no oil painting, an amazing achievement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdvSwStGErs

ZahZoo
03-11-2024, 09:11 AM
Slash never impressed me much as a guitar player... Had he and G&R come along in the early to mid-70's, they would have been a top act among hard rock bands. Their writing and composition styles perfectly fit within that era. Good and solid hard rock...

The same era Eddie Van Halen turned upside down sideways in 78...

To me, G&R and Slash seemed like a bunch of really competent cover band musicians who made an album 10 years after the era of that popular genre had past...

Terry
03-11-2024, 11:18 AM
Looking back for a band of 'crazy out of control people' it's kind of suspicious how many good decisions they made business wise. Also I knew a fair number of people who did drink a bottle of JD every day like Slash claimed to and I've done similar myself but none of them had a six pack like he did. More recently of course we were all begging someone to tell him to put a shirt on. When Use Your Illusion came out we were all thinking there is maybe one very good album in here not 2 double albums but of course it was business genius because they made 4 times as much money. There was no point in holding back that material for later releases because they were never going to last a long time before imploding.

Yeah, well, one might be tempted to buy into the 'fucked up 24/7 on booze and drugs for years and years on end' image perpetrated by various rock stars over the last 50 years when one was young enough and impressionable enough to believe in the myths of stardom, primary among them the belief that one could actually BE fucked up and out of control all day every day for years and years on end.

Doubtless some of them WERE that way...for a while.

Slash's booze consumption I always kinda suspected was to a degree part of the show...the JD bottle being carried around like a prop.

Nitro Express
03-11-2024, 01:25 PM
https://beverlyhillscourier.com/2023/03/30/the-mansion-tax-one-experts-perspective/

There’s some new taxes since then but yeah divorce in California can be expensive. It’s not like Saudi Arabia where you can just say get the fuck out.

Nitro Express
03-11-2024, 01:32 PM
Yeah, well, one might be tempted to buy into the 'fucked up 24/7 on booze and drugs for years and years on end' image perpetrated by various rock stars over the last 50 years when one was young enough and impressionable enough to believe in the myths of stardom, primary among them the belief that one could actually BE fucked up and out of control all day every day for years and years on end.

Doubtless some of them WERE that way...for a while.

Slash's booze consumption I always kinda suspected was to a degree part of the show...the JD bottle being carried around like a prop.

It’s called show biz. All the shots of VH in the trashed studio were staged. If you really treated Sunset Sound like a dump they would kick your ass out. Alice Cooper loved all the crazy rumors about him because it helped sell. The more the parents hated you the more the kids loved you.

Nitro Express
03-11-2024, 01:42 PM
It was all fun. I was amazed at how many cute girls liked Guns and Roses. They would sing along with the songs and giggle. For some reason they found Axle appealing. The world was ready for something else besides a bunch of bad Van Halen copies and a little mid 70’s flavor was appreciated. The same thing for Nirvana who really were another 70’s punk band. I mean what was more grungy than CBGB’s? None of that stuff was really new. It was repackaged old sold when glam was on its way out.

Anyways it earned Slash the thrill of paying a big divorce settlement.

Kristy
03-11-2024, 01:43 PM
I’m not sure who that is

One of your Boomer Vomit guitar heroes.

Nitro Express
03-11-2024, 01:52 PM
Slash never impressed me much as a guitar player... Had he and G&R come along in the early to mid-70's, they would have been a top act among hard rock bands. Their writing and composition styles perfectly fit within that era. Good and solid hard rock...

The same era Eddie Van Halen turned upside down sideways in 78...

To me, G&R and Slash seemed like a bunch of really competent cover band musicians who made an album 10 years after the era of that popular genre had past...

You don’t have to be a master of the instrument. You just have to be entertaining. Slash looked like a cartoon character. He stood out. The kids thought he was cool. The songs were catchy. Welcome to the Jungle baby!

DLR Bridge
03-11-2024, 02:05 PM
His tone is maybe one click better than Ted Nugent’s, and that ain’t saying much.

Rikk
03-11-2024, 02:19 PM
It always amazed me you could have someone extremely talented and had the look and moves and everything and they go down in flames and you can have a mediocre talent and they do great and have a long career. Sammy Hagar being a good example of the latter.

Sammy Hagar's biggest reason for being one of the richest rock stars alive has nothing to do with his music (except for the ability to make the initial investment).

Dude is rich beyond belief because of the tequila company and the cantina (and all the merchandising connected to those things). The brothers have proved time and time again how stupid and short-sighted they are (were). They sold their shares in Cabo Wabo...and then it exploded. So did Sammy's tequila.

I don't think his musical talent matches his money, of course. But, frankly, he earned his money when it comes to the tequila and the cantina. It was smart business. (I also hate to admit it, but the tequila, which he sold most of his shares for something like $100 million, is actually pretty damn good...a lot better than his music.)

Rikk
03-11-2024, 02:38 PM
There’s some new taxes since then but yeah divorce in California can be expensive. It’s not like Saudi Arabia where you can just say get the fuck out.

I'm presuming you're pointing to Saudi Arabia simply to point out the other extreme (not to laud it as some ideal)? There CAN be a middle-ground.

Women in Saudi Arabia have less rights than feces in a porta potty.

Married women in Saudi Arabia are required to obey their husbands in a "reasonable manner." A husband needs to support a woman financially based on her ability to demonstrate to a court her "obedience." A wife can lose her right to such support if she refuses (without a "legitimate excuse" to have sex with him...there is an actual spousal right to insist on "marital intercourse." A husband can decide at any point to divorce a woman...but a woman has limited rights to do so. She must establish "legitimate harm" as her justification for divorce...and the judge can determine if (morally) they deem that this "harm" is legitimate. (An example: the husband fucking every young thing in his sphere is not typically considered "harm" that the wife can cite as reasons for wanting a divorce.)

Fathers also are the default guardians of the child. The mother usually will not be able to obtain custody, even if the mom demonstrates that the father is not making parenting decisions that harm the child physically, behaviorally, financially. Only in "special circumstances" may a mother obtain any level of guardianship for a child. Third-parties (appointed by the father) will have more rights as guardians of the child than the mother will.

And, in those rare cases in which the mom gets custody, the father can still get this taken away after it's been awarded for ridiculous reasons. For instance, if the mom gets custody, the father can apply to have it taken away if he's upset that she's choosing to get re-married...he can simply claim that he "does not like the new husband" and the very biased courts will often follow suit and take away her custody over the child.

I hate American civil court cases in which a mom can get away with getting $150,000 dollars a month in support after a short marriage that she clearly entered into as a gold-digging exercise, cheated on the husband from day one...then takes half his money after two years of marriage. It's nuts. (This, of course, does not always happen...but when it does, it's ridiculous.)

BUT Saudi Arabia is not exactly a positive example in the other direction. And journalist-murdering, human-rights-abusing Prince Mohammed bin Salman's new laws on this subject actually codify all this as law even more clearly than ever.

Seshmeister
03-11-2024, 03:42 PM
We can all expect a lot more Saudi in our culture as they are buying up western sports like golf and football and are now moving into the movies. No one in Hollywood is going to make a movie critical of Saudi Arabia any time soon. Or China for that matter.

Mushroom
03-14-2024, 12:09 PM
Slash Announces Star-Studded Blues Covers LP 'Orgy of the Damned'
Out May 17

Full story at:
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-orgy-of-the-damned/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAxBEfKeOzw

I caught Mushmouth McKagan and his wife Susan on Ozzy’s Boneyard (SiriusXM) this morning talk about Slash and his performance on the Academy Awards - she said “Slash looked so good.” My rhetorical question: does his look ever change?

Then they played this tune. Kudos to Brian Johnson for not sounding like AC/DC and more like a blues singer.