PDA

View Full Version : "Loss of Control" appreciation thread

loucap81
05-13-2012, 10:07 PM
I know a lot of people don't like it and I get that it's an acquired taste but I love this song. I'd be blown away if they actually performed it in concert again. It's indicative of the kind of album WACF is--other than "In A Simple Rhyme" the songs are intentionally atonal and that's what makes the album so challenging and rewarding after multiple listens.

But anyway this song seems to get picked on a lot and I don't understand. At its core I think it's a boogie song. A fast, fly by the seat of your pants boogie to be sure but that's what's so cool about it. And of all the songs on the album I think it's the one where they're having the most fun, it's a totally ridiculous song but that's the beauty of it--who else writes music like that? Killer track.

Angel
05-13-2012, 11:44 PM
I've always loved LOC!

BITEYOASS
05-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Did you know there was a video for this song? No BS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXqoVBTiO58

Sensible Shoes
05-14-2012, 12:49 AM
LOC is one raging hot mess. Boogie my ass. Hate it. End of story.

But I still love you Lou. :)

DLR Bridge
05-14-2012, 01:31 AM
I love this song but hate this video. Looks like it was shot by someone only interested in filming Dave. They could definitely pull this tune off these days, but I'm not sure how Wolf would feel about the sillier falsetto chorus he'd be responsible for. I've always loved the panning side to side in the solo section.

mohican
05-14-2012, 01:46 AM
You're right about LOC being an "acquired taste" because I didn't like it on the first listen. Then it just hit me and I really dig this song. It's fast and furious, and Dave cracks me up with the mayday mayday. LOC is somewhere on my top 20 vh song list. If only they will play LOC and On Fire on this tour

The isolated guitar version is just as fun to listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIXu44QTyvM

Check out the demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlaDfb2sMOY

Nitro Express
05-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Loss of control is the result of too much cocaine in the studio that day.

Little Texan
05-14-2012, 04:23 AM
That LOC demo sounds like it was recorded with a Fisher Price tape recorder, as does all of the WACF Sessions bootleg. I always wondered why the audio was so bad on that one.

VAiN
05-14-2012, 11:07 AM
That LOC demo sounds like it was recorded with a Fisher Price tape recorder, as does all of the WACF Sessions bootleg. I always wondered why the audio was so bad on that one.

My guess is because it's several generations on tape.

TwoFoolsAMinute
05-15-2012, 01:03 PM
It has redeeming qualities, but overall I just don't get it. I thought it was cool and different when I was in Jr. High, but these days it's okay, but certainly a skipped track most often.

trueblue
05-19-2012, 03:37 AM
I dig the tune a whole lot, always have and always will. Loss of Control is a freight train of a tune, utterly manic and ballistic, and sadly, so very under-rated. Eddie's playing is recklessly cool, and Dave's vocals are just pure primal. I dig the lyrics, too. In fact, I always felt that while 'Fair Warning' often sounds like Eddie's finest half-hour with the band, 'WACF' sounds to me like Dave's strongest overall vocal performance with VH. Anyway, LoC is plenty cool is what I'd say.

VHscraps
05-19-2012, 05:11 AM
I love it.

Those who don't like it could try listening to the guitar-only track that cropped up on youtube a few years ago.

Eddie's playing is pure souped-up goddam SURF guitar. Dick Dale on speed.