PDA

View Full Version : Full Ozzy concert with Brad Gillis

adena dodds
05-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Osburne for president.....End of story.:hail: The prince of darkness is looking like a bright light compared to these losers but that's just my opinion. And all you have to be is an American citizen and 21 years of age to be able to become the president of the united states. Gee, if I would have known that I wouldn't have wasted all my time and money for 2 careers as a starving artist. To think that I have to go through 3 interviews just to get a part-time job as a skin therapist or what ever is beyond my understanding. I really think we need some more qualifications put upon people running for president....It doesn't make an once of sense...And I guarantee that it's not supposed to....Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy...Too bad he wasn't born in the USA....Okay, then how about Bruce Springstein? The Boss? Born in the USA. I was born in the USA. So that means that I can run for president and I'm well over 21! Uncle Sam says; VOTE! I think I only voted 2 times in my life....The last time was Kerry, Edwards...What a disaster! A wolf in sheeps clothes! It all comes out in the wash.

sadaist
05-05-2012, 02:47 AM
Does he have a valid birth certificate? If yes then he is already a step ahead of our current guy.

ashstralia
05-05-2012, 06:27 AM
SHARON??!!!
the dog shat on the carpet.

:biggrin:

adena dodds
05-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Sharon would make a classy first lady don't ya think?
SHARON??!!!
the dog shat on the carpet.

:biggrin:

ashstralia
05-05-2012, 06:59 AM

whatever the fuck you're on, i want some.

actually, on second thought..:)

Seshmeister
05-05-2012, 07:10 AM

Right up until the first time she took a shit on the floor at a state dinner...

adena dodds
05-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Say it isn't so. Don't tell me she's a dog. What is even stranger is that I ran into 2 Islamic videos yeaterday and it was quite disturbing. One was an actual human female and part dog. It was a combination of both and it looked very real and morbid. The second video had a description stating that a regular person had gone into the bathroom and then came out with an animals (dog-like) body but the face was still human and it could talk. They taped it lying on a matress behind a cage and they were talikng to it with a frantic voice....I don't think the Islamic world get's into special effects like we do, I could be wrong, but this looked very real. At the end of the video they were basically begging God to forgive them of their sins. The Lord has stated that disease and deformities are the result of sin. So I believe it. Are we living in the era of the Jackel? Part man part beast? Has this kind of phonmenon been going on for a long time or is it just starting to surface? I'm and end time believer and I believe that we are living in the end times. Oh, and as for australia's comment, the only drug I'm on is the body and blood of The Lord Jesus Christ.....Nothing can compare to it. It's out there, maybe you should give it a try while you still can. Before the tabernacles of the world shut their doors, then you'll see where I'm comming from......Then he will come back to clean house and let everyone know who's who and who is The King of all nations....The King of all Kings....You can't get any higher than that. They say that there isn't a floor high enough for me to jump out of....I think they're on to me! I better go and hide.
Right up until the first time she took a shit on the floor at a state dinner...

fourthcoming
05-05-2012, 07:36 AM
If Ozzy runs with Lemmy as his Vice president, he's definitely got my vote.

adena dodds
05-05-2012, 07:47 AM
I'll second that notion. You figure if people are looking for a successful buisness man any rock star will do. In my opinion they've got to be the most successful buisness men on the planet, plus they have to put up with groupies like me...Ha,ha,ha. I just think that most rock stars would turn that job down in an instant....Really, who in their right mind would want to take on that position? It's seems like a dirty job but I guess someones got to do it.....I'd rather clean toilets.
If Ozzy runs with Lemmy as his Vice president, he's definitely got my vote.

ELVIS
05-06-2012, 06:54 AM
You have to be 35 to run for president, Adena...

fourthcoming
05-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Ozzy: Speak Of The Devil to be released on DVD soon.......

chefcraig
05-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Ozzy: Speak Of The Devil to be released on DVD soon.......

It's about fucking time. Holy shit, look at the track list. :rockit:

Ozzy Osbourne Diary Of A Madman Tour DVD Coming

antimusic (http://www.antimusic.com/news/12/May/09Ozzy_Osbourne_Diary_Of_A_Madman_Tour_DVD_Coming. shtml)

Eagle Rock has set a July 17th release date for a new DVD release of Ozzy Osbourne's Speak of the Devil.

This show was filmed at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater in California on June 12, 1982 as part of the delayed continuation of the "Diary Of A Madman" tour following the tragic death of Randy Rhoads a few months earlier.

The audio has been digitally restored and remastered and is now available in DTS and Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound for the first time. Speak Of The Devil includes the classics "Mr Crowley" "Over The Mountain" "Crazy Train" "Flying High Again" "Iron Man" "Paranoid" "Goodbye To Romance" and many more.

The concert is a perfect snapshot of Ozzy Osbourne's live performances in the eighties with dramatic staging and masses of energy with a setlist based around his first two solo albums and a few Black Sabbath classics. The line-up for this show features Ozzy Osbourne (vocals); Don Airey (keyboards); Tommy Aldridge (drums); Brad Gillis (guitar) and Rudy Sarzo (bass).

Track Listing:

1) Over The Mountain
2) Mr Crowley
3) Crazy Train
4) Revelation (Mother Earth)
5) Steal Away (The Night)
6) Suicide Solution
7) Guitar / Drum Solo
8) Goodbye To Romance
9) I Don't Know
10) Believer
11) Flying High Again
12) Iron Man
13) Children Of The Grave
14) Paranoid

fourthcoming
05-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Good stuff.....is that the same show from the original release? I always thought the original recording was from the old Felt Forum in N.Y.C. and was all Sabbath tunes...I could be wrong......either way, I was never really big Night Ranger guy but brad Gillis definitely does justice to the sabbath tunes....cant wait to hear the rest.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Have always LOVED this show.... Such mad props for Brad Gillis for filling in on such short notice for Randy.....

fourthcoming
05-09-2012, 09:14 AM
I also heard Vivian Campbell is back with the original members of Dio's solo group who made Holy Diver, Last in Line, and Sacred heart with some other dude singing lead.....that means Vinny Appice on drums. Does that mean the conflict with Bill Ward and Sabbath has been resolved or are they finding another drummer? I know this is a little off topic....but it vaguely relates to Ozzy.....and VA....couldn't agree with you more....always LOVED Speak Of The Devil.

chefcraig
05-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Good stuff.....is that the same show from the original release? I always thought the original recording was from the old Felt Forum in N.Y.C. and was all Sabbath tunes...I could be wrong......either way, I was never really big Night Ranger guy but brad Gillis definitely does justice to the sabbath tunes....cant wait to hear the rest.

I'm pretty sure this was recorded at Irvine Meadows and not the Ritz, yet was shown on MTV back when they played videos instead of shows about pregnant 15 year olds and obnoxious retards living in New Jersey. If you just so happened to live in Japan, you could purchase it on VHS some thirty years ago, otherwise, you were shit out of luck until now. Of course, this isn't the mind-fuckingly good set of Sabbath cover tunes from the album, but an Ozzy solo set. Even so, Brad Gillis rips the living shit out of things, having a blast doing what just about every guitarist at this site has always yearned for: an opportunity to wail through a hastily rehearsed group of Ozzy tunes, with the fucking Prince of Darkness himself taking the microphone.

fourthcoming
05-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Gotcha.....guess there must have been an all Sabbath set and a solo Ozzy set.....can't wait to enjoy this dvd thoroughly. MTV.....Moron Television

Panamark
05-09-2012, 09:44 AM
No Randy in sight ?

Got a mild twitch in the scrotal base when I started to read thread.
But it stopped when I realised no RR.....

Will check it out for curiosity.

Always wondered if there was some Blizzard cuts that didnt make those two albums
and also some pro shot video, stored away for when Sharon has run the well dry.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-09-2012, 03:09 PM
If you just so happened to live in Japan, you could purchase it on VHS some thirty years ago, otherwise, you were shit out of luck until now. Of course, this isn't the mind-fuckingly good set of Sabbath cover tunes from the album, but an Ozzy solo set. Even so, Brad Gillis rips the living shit out of things, having a blast doing what just about every guitarist at this site has always yearned for: an opportunity to wail through a hastily rehearsed group of Ozzy tunes, with the fucking Prince of Darkness himself taking the microphone.

Um, I was living Japan 30 years ago, almost 30 anyway... :D

But yeah, why couldn't they have included the Sabbath covers? Those are what's on my CD....

Va Beach VH Fan
05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure this was recorded at Irvine Meadows and not the Ritz, yet was shown on MTV back when they played videos instead of shows about pregnant 15 year olds and obnoxious retards living in New Jersey. If you just so happened to live in Japan, you could purchase it on VHS some thirty years ago, otherwise, you were shit out of luck until now. Of course, this isn't the mind-fuckingly good set of Sabbath cover tunes from the album, but an Ozzy solo set. Even so, Brad Gillis rips the living shit out of things, having a blast doing what just about every guitarist at this site has always yearned for: an opportunity to wail through a hastily rehearsed group of Ozzy tunes, with the fucking Prince of Darkness himself taking the microphone.

I think the Sabbath stuff was recorded at the Ritz, and the version with the solo stuff at Irvine Meadows....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_of_the_Devil_(Ozzy_Osbourne_album)

Overview

The album sleeve states that it was recorded at The Ritz in New York on the 26th and 27 September 1982. In a June 2007 interview with producer/engineer Max Norman posted at KNAC.COM, he states that the album features 3 songs that were recorded during the rehearsal for the show rather than the show itself. The songs were then completed with additional tracks of crowd noise. Norman did not identify specifically the songs.[2]
This is the only official Osbourne recording to feature Night Ranger guitarist Brad Gillis, who had stepped in for the recently deceased Randy Rhoads, following Bernie Torme's brief stint. However, Gillis did tour with Osbourne during this time period, and did play solo material from the first two solo albums on the tour. These recordings can be heard/seen on the Speak of the Devil VHS/Laserdisc and more recently the Japan only DVD release.
Osbourne has publicly disowned and slated the album, saying it was only recorded due to pressures from the record label. In April 2002, this album was deleted from Osbourne's US/North American catalogue and is no longer being made. However, the album is still being made in Japan and in other markets.
The song "Sweet Leaf" was omitted on the initial pressing Compact Disc releases of the album, due to 'timing restrictions'. It was restored, however, when the album was remastered in 1995.
This is the first album to feature Rudy Sarzo, who left to rejoin Quiet Riot less than a month later, the other album being Tribute. Brad Gillis also left to join Night Ranger. Bob Daisley, who had been the bassist for both of the previous studio albums, would continue in that role, while Jake E. Lee would replace Gillis for the next album, Bark at the Moon.
Speak of the Devil was released one month before Osbourne's old band Black Sabbath released Live Evil. In the US, sales of Speak of the Devil were much better than those of Live Evil. In the UK it was Live Evil which attained the higher chart-placing: figures on ultimate sales are not widely available. Both albums are a result of the unofficial Live at Last album released in 1980, a year after Osbourne left Black Sabbath.
[edit]Video

A Japan-only official release DVD also titled Speak of the Devil has been available for some time, though it contains different content than the album; it features a live performance recorded on June 12, 1982, at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre with the same backing band performing a combination of Osbourne solo material and Black Sabbath covers. That DVD is scheduled to be released in the US on July 17, 2012 from Eagle Rock Entertainment.[3]

BruinJer
05-09-2012, 03:18 PM

antimusic (http://www.antimusic.com/news/12/May/09Ozzy_Osbourne_Diary_Of_A_Madman_Tour_DVD_Coming. shtml)

Eagle Rock has set a July 17th release date for a new DVD release of Ozzy Osbourne's Speak of the Devil.

This show was filmed at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater in California on June 12, 1982 as part of the delayed continuation of the "Diary Of A Madman" tour following the tragic death of Randy Rhoads a few months earlier.

The audio has been digitally restored and remastered and is now available in DTS and Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound for the first time. Speak Of The Devil includes the classics "Mr Crowley" "Over The Mountain" "Crazy Train" "Flying High Again" "Iron Man" "Paranoid" "Goodbye To Romance" and many more.

The concert is a perfect snapshot of Ozzy Osbourne's live performances in the eighties with dramatic staging and masses of energy with a setlist based around his first two solo albums and a few Black Sabbath classics. The line-up for this show features Ozzy Osbourne (vocals); Don Airey (keyboards); Tommy Aldridge (drums); Brad Gillis (guitar) and Rudy Sarzo (bass).

Track Listing:

1) Over The Mountain
2) Mr Crowley
3) Crazy Train
6) Suicide Solution
7) Guitar / Drum Solo
8) Goodbye To Romance
9) I Don't Know
10) Believer
11) Flying High Again
12) Iron Man
14) Paranoid
My first concert... It's good to see this classic get it's official release!

ELVIS
05-09-2012, 03:20 PM

Track Listing:

1) Over The Mountain
2) Mr Crowley
3) Crazy Train
6) Suicide Solution
7) Guitar / Drum Solo
8) Goodbye To Romance
9) I Don't Know
10) Believer
11) Flying High Again
12) Iron Man
14) Paranoid

Doesn't this deserve it's own thread ??

ELVIS
05-09-2012, 03:23 PM
I sure hope the guitar is placed properly in the mix...

:elvis:

jhale667
05-09-2012, 03:27 PM
I remember that MTV concert... it was sad Randy wasn't there, but Gillis' tone was AMAZING (two Mesa Boogie Mk IIs in stereo)...he did a great job all things considered.

:guitar:

FORD
05-09-2012, 03:32 PM
The shows at the Ritz were planned specifically to record the "Speak of The Devil" album, and it was the only shows where they played a set of all Sabbath tunes. Ozzy originally planned on releasing a double live album, the first disc being Randy playing material from Blizzard and Diary, and the second disc being the Sabbath songs with Brad Gillis. But when the record label insisted on the title "Speak of the Devil" (or "Talk of the Devil" in the UK) Ozzy couldn't let them use Randy's stuff, since he thought it would be in extremely poor taste to have an album title like that attached to the work of someone just recently killed. Not that Ozzy cared all that much about bad taste in those days of biting off animal heads, pissing on the Alamo, and snorting ants, but even he had to draw the line somewhere.

I've had a bootleg of this DVD for a while, so I'll probably upgrade to the official version. The vocals were already overdubbed, so I can't imagine Sharon could do much additional damage to it.

VHscraps
05-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I saw Ozzy with Brad Gillis standing on that tour that followed the live album - in Glasgow, Scotland. I snuck a camera in to take pics.

I remember thinking at the time that Gillis really ripped it up, gave an amazing performance. I had seen Ozzy's first gig with RR in the same venue a couple of years before and - y'all will accuse me of sacrilege, I'm sure - left the gig more impressed with John Thomas, guitarist of perennial opening act of those days, Budgie, than with Randy ...

fourthcoming
05-09-2012, 03:42 PM
It was so obvious that the vocals were overdubbed......still a tremendous show

jhale667
05-09-2012, 03:42 PM
- y'all will accuse me of sacrilege, I'm sure - left the gig more impressed with John Thomas, guitarist of perennial opening act of those days, Budgie, than with Randy ...

You're right - You BLASPHEME!!!!!!

:lmao:

:guitar:

VHscraps
05-09-2012, 03:58 PM
You're right - You BLASPHEME!!!!!!

:lmao:

Heh heh.

Randy's writing and playing on Diary of a Madman was awesome - much better than the Blizzard album. I've never heard a bootleg of that first gig in Glasgow - so I couldn't say with any accuracy if the gig was actually any good (!!). I did dig it at the time, and we were all talking about Randy afterwards, because by that time not many had even heard Ozzy's first album. 'Whatisname - that guy', one of my mates said: 'Randy Avenues, or something?'

Thing was, though, Budgie were a shit hot live act back then, and though it was the first gig on the Blizzard tour, it probably wasn't their first gig that September (as it was with Blizzard of Oz, as they were billed - I think they had done a few secret shows before then).

FORD
05-12-2012, 02:06 PM
For those who can't wait for the DVD, here's the low rent YouTube version of the bootleg......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgAtjNm9m94

Mr. Vengeance
05-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Not sure how "live" Ozzy's vocals are here, but this is a pretty good show. I've never seen this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgAtjNm9m94&feature=g-vrec

VHscraps
05-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Not sure how "live" Ozzy's vocals are here, but this is a pretty good show. I've never seen this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgAtjNm9m94&feature=g-vrec

looks and sounds like the vocals have been 'fixed'.

FORD
05-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah, i posted this over in some other Ozzy thread the other day. It was obviously overdubbed and aired on eMpTyV at the time, and has been bootlegged ever since, but apparently is now going to finally get a legitimate release.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/2012/05/ozzy-to-release-speak-of-the-devil-dvd/

Odd that they would use the title "Speak of the Devil" for this DVD though, since (unlike the album of the same name) this concert is not made up entirely of Sabbath tunes and is instead the actual live set that Ozzy played on that tour. I really wasn't impressed with how Gillis played the Sabbath tunes, (and was never a big Night Ranger fan either) but when I saw this concert the first time, I have to admit he learned Randy's material very well.

Terry
05-14-2012, 09:22 PM
This looks like the 1982 Irvine Meadows show that was aired on MTV. I dunno if this ever got an official release far as the video went (not sure which shows the audio for the Speak Of The Devil album were taken from).

Bought a bootlegged copy of this maybe a decade ago, which was basically a vhs tape copy transferred to dvd. I will say that while I was never a huge fan of Gillis either, he did do a pretty good job far as getting the essence of RR's licks down...I couldn't say how many shows in Irvine Meadows was after Gillis joined the band...but yeah, when watching the thing it's clear there were a LOT of post-concert vocals that were re-recorded. Like, not just a few fixes here and there, either.

binnie
05-15-2012, 02:30 AM
I think I read somewhere that 'Speak' is going to get a DVD release soon....

sadaist
05-15-2012, 03:15 AM
This will be re-released in 5 years with Trujillo doing the bass lines.....

sadaist
05-15-2012, 03:17 AM
Man I miss 80's concerts. the awesome themed stages, fire, explosions, lasers, headbanging, slutty rocker chicks who hadn't been quite rode hard & put away wet yet. :( I need a time machine

DONNIEP
05-15-2012, 03:22 AM
Man I miss 80's concerts. the awesome themed stages, fire, explosions, lasers, headbanging, slutty rocker chicks who hadn't been quite rode hard & put away wet yet. :( I need a time machine

No shit brother!!! The last time I checked this was what concerts were all about!!! :thumb:

Va Beach VH Fan
05-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Merged the two Ozzy DVD threads....

Va Beach VH Fan
05-15-2012, 10:34 AM
I can vividly remember watching the Iron Man/Children of the Grave/Paranoid videos in the early stages of MTV, fantastic....

fourthcoming
05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Wow.......I have never been a Night Ranger fan.....but Gillis is a MONSTER!!!!!

VHscraps
05-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Gillis did a really good job on the Sabs tunes.

Anyone who was a reader of Guitar Player magazine back in the early 80s might remember one issue that came with a free flexi-disc of Brad Gillis imitating his favourite sports cars on the guitar. I seem to recall that his favourite was the Ferrari Testarossa.

Somebody out there will have it, or it will be online somewhere.

binnie
05-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Were the old live vids with Jake E Lee ever released on DVD?

sadaist
05-15-2012, 12:17 PM

I forgot to mention....all the above was for around $17.50.

Shit guys, I remember in high school on a Friday Motley Crue was playing that night with Whitesnake opening up. Starting 1st period I started bumming money from people at school. Mostly girls. A few well off guys that always had dough.

"Hey, can I borrow a quarter for a Coke....or M&M's? I'm a little short today"

Most times the girls would hand me a buck. By the end of the day I had enough for a ticket AND A SHIRT!!!!!!

My buddy at the time did the same thing but in different classes. He also made enough for the ticket.

sadaist
05-15-2012, 12:23 PM
First time I saw OZZY was with Metallica opening up. Metallica was fucking awesome. But OZZY is....well, OZZY. Kinda hard to top the Prince Of Darkness himself back in his prime, even if you do have Cliff Burton.

OZZY started the show just like the Shot In The Dark video. he came down inside some creatures folded arms. But unlike the video they didnt open to show him suddenly. They began opened & OZZY cheering the fans as it lowered him to the stage.

FUCKING EPIC ENTRANCE!!

Whatever happened to those too? I see VH all just walk out & start Unchained. Yeah, it's epic because of who they are & what song it is....but? Rob Halford on the Harley? Angus Young in the lighted tube? Ozzy in the evil creature? Def Leppard playing 1/4 of the song before they actually drop the curtain? fuck me! Some awesome shit back then and even then OZZY was considered the big daddy of heavy metal. He has only solidified his legendary status since then. I will watch & enjoy this new/old concert video & pretend I was there.

Mr. Vengeance
05-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Sorry folks, I never saw the original thread.