PDA

View Full Version : China Town cover

vanshipman
05-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Me and my son (who is playing drums) are working on learning China Town. We've only played it a few times so far, and I've got a ways to go on learning the solo, but here it tis warts and all. Please accept "As Is" lol We also have on you tube The Full Bug, On Fire, and Romeo Delight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqFdmbB9vB4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

vanshipman
05-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Also I apologize for the crappy view, I just propped the iPhone up and hit the button...lol

SunisinuS
05-17-2012, 10:43 PM
I like it already...nj as I am a drummer just like your boy!

That was killer boys!

:jammin:

:killer:

vanshipman
05-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks very much! We've got a ways to go on it, but we're just mainly having fun.

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Here's Romeo Delight...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT4HkjQ6bBY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 12:14 AM
And On Fire...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXqY2Vjlh7A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 12:15 AM
And lastly, The Full Bughttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzTPWj9obe0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 12:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzTPWj9obe0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sadaist
05-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Me and my son (who is playing drums) are working on learning China Town. We've only played it a few times so far, and I've got a ways to go on learning the solo, but here it tis warts and all. Please accept "As Is" lol We also have on you tube The Full Bug, On Fire, and Romeo Delight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqFdmbB9vB4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Damn Cuyler boys at it again...probably drinking that party liquor. WHOOOPOW!!!!

Nice job man. Thanks for sharing.

sadaist
05-18-2012, 12:26 AM
How old is your son? Kids got the thunder to go with Dads lightning. Fucking cool.

SNIPER
05-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Here's Romeo Delight...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT4HkjQ6bBY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cool! But, ...A little more to the right!!

sadaist
05-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Cool! But, ...A little more to the right!!

LOL! I wouldn't want to show myself on Youtube either (would drive too many women into becoming stalkers & all. Ya know how it is). We get the gist. Camera angle is fine.

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Y'all are far too kind bay bay!!! Yeah yeah, womerns would like it too much!!! LOL My son Rusty (Brent is 22) ol Early is 50, but working for Dan Halen and drankin the party liquor took a few years off bay bay!!! Lol DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!!!

sadaist
05-18-2012, 03:16 AM
Y'all are far too kind bay bay!!! Yeah yeah, womerns would like it too much!!! LOL My son Rusty (Brent is 22) ol Early is 50, but working for Dan Halen and drankin the party liquor took a few years off bay bay!!! Lol DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!!!

:lmao:

I fear you & me are the only ones who get all the references. BEST SHOW EVER!!!

WHOOOOOPOW!!

sadaist
05-18-2012, 03:22 AM
lol. couldnt resist

sadaist
05-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Father & son selling their souls to play music......hmmm. Coincidence?

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 10:13 AM
No doubt, Squidbillies is the funniest show I've ever seen. Unknown Hinson is a genius, and a great guitar player to boot! The episode where Early sold his soul, just to beat his son at guitar was hilarious.

Nitro Express
05-18-2012, 10:38 AM

Summon Roy Clark from hell. LOL! Roy Clark was the first shredder I ever saw live. I saw him tear up the guitar and banjo in 1971. He's not in hell yet, he's still alive.

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Roy Clark is an amazing guitar player for sure! I also liked Glen Campbell, and the late great Jerry Reed. Those guys were dangerous with an axe in their hands. And Rusty summoning Roy Clark while playing all the other instruments himself was epic! Earlys final solo was the funniest thing ever...lol

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 01:03 PM

LOL Now that's funny!!!

sadaist
05-18-2012, 02:33 PM
LOL Now that's funny!!!

I know dude. I fucking love this show. So funny. Seen every episode several times. First episode was weird cause you have to get past the blue water drop preacher, squids, etc....but once you figure it all out...GENIUS!

THE BIRD IS MINE!!!!!!!!!

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 03:38 PM
The bird is mine was classic, Early walling himself in to keep the immigrants from taking American jobs...LOL Yeah once you understand the characters, then you're set. I've got all the seasons, and am ashamed to admit just how much I have watched that show. I met Unknown Hinson once and he signed my Squidbillie DVD. The dude never breaks character either! Pretty awesome, and puts on a killer show. I highly recommend seeing him live.

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Hey Sadaist, where do you live?

sadaist
05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Hey Sadaist, where do you live?

Somewhat rotating between Temecula CA (45 mins north of San Diego) and southern Oregon. Kinda lost right now & ready to start the next chapter. So feeling my way around a bit to see where that next chapter will start. Also teasing with the idea of Texas. It's all juggling right now.

San Diego native until I was 30 & decided to buy a house somewhere I could actually afford one....at the time.

but I think I'm a southerner at heart. I love fishing, my pickup truck, greasy fried fatty foods, guns, the outdoors, party liquor, dirty women, lottery scratchers and shiny things in general.

sadaist
05-18-2012, 04:27 PM
The bird is mine was classic, Early walling himself in to keep the immigrants from taking American jobs...LOL .

That was a test. You clearly know your squidbillies. Well done!

I feel weird saying this....but I'm kinda craving tacos.

rocking ron
05-18-2012, 04:56 PM
He VANSHIPMAN that sounds really cool, just watched a part of CHINA TOWN and still have to do the others, great man...

one question.............does your neighbours like VAN HALEN haha ....I hope so for them and if so........they're lucky bastards.........!!!!:first:

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 05:58 PM
That was a test. You clearly know your squidbillies. Well done!

I feel weird saying this....but I'm kinda craving tacos.

Here's one....Get your stuff son, we got us a field trip!!!

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 06:00 PM
He VANSHIPMAN that sounds really cool, just watched a part of CHINA TOWN and still have to do the others, great man...

one question.............does your neighbours like VAN HALEN haha ....I hope so for them and if so........they're lucky bastards.........!!!!:first:

Yeah it gets loud for sure lol we usually play in the day time and limit it to about an hour or less. Thanks!

vanshipman
05-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Somewhat rotating between Temecula CA (45 mins north of San Diego) and southern Oregon. Kinda lost right now & ready to start the next chapter. So feeling my way around a bit to see where that next chapter will start. Also teasing with the idea of Texas. It's all juggling right now.

San Diego native until I was 30 & decided to buy a house somewhere I could actually afford one....at the time.

but I think I'm a southerner at heart. I love fishing, my pickup truck, greasy fried fatty foods, guns, the outdoors, party liquor, dirty women, lottery scratchers and shiny things in general.

Dude just come on to NC, you'll be right at home!!! The shiny things got me...lol you ever go fishing and tease the local squids with a shiny bare hook? LOL

Ive been to Los Angeles a couple of times, as well as San Diego back in the 90's. I did my time in Tijuana as well and lived to talk about it...Lol Had a great time in each place, especially Hermosa Beach. But I'm a country boy and like being at home. If you ever decide to venture out this way, you'll have to call me up and we can sit on the porch and stare at the sun...

sadaist
05-19-2012, 12:21 PM
If you ever decide to venture out this way, you'll have to call me up and we can sit on the porch and stare at the sun...

LOL!

San Diego is a MILLION times better than Los Angeles....however it is actively striving to become a shithole like it. Still though, tired of the huge cities filled with self absorbed people. The only thing I really love about So CA is how close it is to a lot of places to get away. Snow, forest, desert, Colorado River, Baja CA....

Anyways, did you pick up the ADKOT guitar tab book that came out recently? Someone here posted about it. Or did you just pick that shit up on your own? China Town seems like an insane first choice. Like a 1st time painter saying "yeah, think I'll make a bid for the next Sistine Chapel". Being the horrible hack I am on guitar, I would think Tattoo would be the logical first choice.

fourthcoming
05-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks very much! We've got a ways to go on it, but we're just mainly having fun.

Dude.....that was kick ass....Drummer here also....props to your boy and props to you dude.....good stuff!

vanshipman
05-19-2012, 01:03 PM
I have to admit I got the tab book, but I had the basic brunt of China Town already figured out from watching Eddie and just fiddling about with it. I'm pretty disappointed with the transcriptions to be honest. People usually don't get Eddie entirely right, but hey, close enough for Govt work!!! lol

The solos a mean one in most parts, but not too bad to get close to. Eddie has an impossible touch to mimic exactly, people get close but there's only one Eddie.

And yes San Diego was very nice when I visited, certainly less umm pretentious? lol this was 1993 so maybe things have changed a lot since then.

A friend took me to Blacks Beach without filling me in on the de-tails...lol That was pretty interesting! However, I did not inhale...too many creepy old dudes that day. Lol

vanshipman
05-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Dude.....that was kick ass....Drummer here also....props to your boy and props to you dude.....good stuff!

Thank you very much Fourthcoming!

VH Drummer
05-19-2012, 01:35 PM
When I was home last week for the first time in months, I was finally able to try some of these songs on drums. I couldn't even get through "China Town" because of the double kick. "She's the Woman," and "Blood and Fire" are my favorites to play from this album so far. Not having a drum kit here sucks; when I do play, I'm rusty since I can't really practice here.

vanshipman
05-19-2012, 01:44 PM
When I was home last week for the first time in months, I was finally able to try some of these songs on drums. I couldn't even get through "China Town" because of the double kick. "She's the Woman," and "Blood and Fire" are my favorites to play from this album so far. Not having a drum kit here sucks; when I do play, I'm rusty since I can't really practice here.

Yeah duplicating Alex Van Halen could not be too easy for sure. My sons double kick pedal is broke and he has to make do with one until he gets it to the shop. We've played Blood and Fire a few times and it's pretty decent, along with You and Your Blues. Keep playing them drums brother!

sadaist
05-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I have to admit I got the tab book

It's not cheating. It's just an assistant. You still have to play the damn things. Book ain't gonna do that for you. :)

VH Drummer
05-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah duplicating Alex Van Halen could not be too easy for sure. My sons double kick pedal is broke and he has to make do with one until he gets it to the shop. We've played Blood and Fire a few times and it's pretty decent, along with You and Your Blues. Keep playing them drums brother!

When I lived at home I played 2 hours every day for years. Now I'm lucky if I get to play once every 2-3 months.

For your son--since the double kick is broke it can give him time to work on those Bonham kicks. Once I got the hang of it it really made my playing more dynamic.

VAiN
05-19-2012, 04:20 PM
I have to admit I got the tab book, but I had the basic brunt of China Town already figured out from watching Eddie and just fiddling about with it. I'm pretty disappointed with the transcriptions to be honest.

Same here... China Town is missing parts. It just doesn't seem like it's all there.

jhale667
05-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Same here... China Town is missing parts. It just doesn't seem like it's all there.

Does it indicate where you're supposed to use the Whammy Pedal in the chorus, for example, or no?

vanshipman
05-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Does it indicate where you're supposed to use the Whammy Pedal in the chorus, for example, or no?

I agree, it does seem like its missing parts, but I figured out everything about the song on my own except the intro lick and the solo. And after I saw what the intro lick was, I was like duh!!! Lol

vanshipman
05-19-2012, 11:26 PM
I agree, it does seem like its missing parts, but I figured out everything about the song on my own except the intro lick and the solo. And after I saw what the intro lick was, I was like duh!!! Lol

Dude I'm sorry, I hit the wrong quote... Again...DERRR!!! I believe Eddie is using the whammy pedal during the "Welcome to China Town" part. It's buried in that mix fairly low. Eddie plays octaves there and then the horsie like sound, which I'm not certain, but I think is the whammy pedal. Hope that helps you.

vanshipman
05-19-2012, 11:29 PM

I believe you are right VAiN, some of it just doesn't add up. There are a couple of runs that are transcribed that don't seem to be right. But then again, it could just be me not doing it right...lol

sadaist
05-20-2012, 11:17 AM

That's why I just play the cd and leave it up to Edward to play it right. You guys are insane for even trying. I still can't get the intro part of ATBL down & I've been working on that for 26 years +.

jhale667
05-20-2012, 11:30 AM
You guys are insane for even trying.

Yeah, there's the spirit. :hee:

:guitar:

chefcraig
05-20-2012, 12:01 PM
I still can't get the intro part of ATBL down & I've been working on that for 26 years +.

It's not that hard. Overdrive your amp, pick on an A minor chord and fumble around. Even if you don't get "ATBL" right away, you end up figuring out about six or seven AC/DC songs.

vanshipman
05-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah, there's the spirit. :hee:

:guitar:

LOL that is funny indeed

vanshipman
05-20-2012, 12:11 PM
It's not that hard. Overdrive your amp, pick on an A minor chord and fumble around. Even if you don't get "ATBL" right away, you end up figuring out about six or seven AC/DC songs.

You literally just described my entire time playing the guitar!!! Nicely done. :>)

vanshipman
05-20-2012, 12:14 PM
That's why I just play the cd and leave it up to Edward to play it right. You guys are insane for even trying. I still can't get the intro part of ATBL down & I've been working on that for 26 years +.

If you ever come to NC, we can summon Roy Clark and get right to work on ATBL!

THIS ENDS TODAYUHH!!! lol

VAiN
05-20-2012, 12:20 PM

No, it shows a whammy dive with the high E..

jhale667
05-20-2012, 01:28 PM
No, it shows a whammy dive with the high E..

:umm: Really? What about "HoneyBabySweetieDoll"?

sadaist
05-20-2012, 03:40 PM
If you ever come to NC, we can summon Roy Clark and get right to work on ATBL!

THIS ENDS TODAYUHH!!! lol

You wanna go that way?

I WANT TO GO THAT WAY!!!!

"Lerm"

vanshipman
05-20-2012, 04:54 PM
You wanna go that way?

I WANT TO GO THAT WAY!!!!

"Lerm"

You better back a couple of steps...when he goes that way, he goes that way hard...lol Early Culyer to Boyd in the store

vanshipman
05-20-2012, 04:55 PM
You better back a couple of steps...when he goes that way, he goes that way hard...lol Early Culyer to Boyd in the store

I also lived Lerm and Lil's beautiful wedding ceremony...lol

VAiN
05-20-2012, 05:16 PM
:umm: Really? What about "HoneyBabySweetieDoll"?

I think it's pretty accurate with that one.. I follow along while listening to it and it seems to make sense. The parts on that one are really nothing in terms of riffs, but the song as a whole is a motherfucker.

vanshipman
05-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Sorry, meant to type loved not lived...lol

sadaist
05-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Sorry, meant to type loved not lived...lol

Was gonna ask.....just how redneck are you man? :lmao:

vanshipman
05-20-2012, 08:36 PM
was gonna ask.....just how redneck are you man? :lmao:

nice lol